October 1, 2014 | 1261 users online

Liquid - MAC - Face and Body Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2013 3:01:00 AM More reviews by pinkishbrown

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my humble review of an obviously-well-reviewed product! I know my words won't change much, but I felt the need to review it anyhow.
I've only recently been investigating foundations. My search consists of wanting:
-dewy/moisturized look
-medium coverage, buildable to full if necessary
-perfect color options, especially for ethnic/WOC skin (i'm hispanic, but this factor means a lot to me regardless of whether my skin were pale-caucasian, etc. Color options are so vital)

I tried so many comparisons to this foundation, looking mainly at color and feel. I wanted something very dewy and moisturized, but not thick/cakey and extreme in color (i.e. way orange, etc).
I compared it to NARS TM, BB moisture rich foundation, MAC Matchmaster, and I also have sampled Urban Decay Skin, TF BB Creme, and many others (but not compared directly to this foundation on the same hand as I did the first ones mentioned).

My biggest problem is that this is water-based and therefore, does not leave a dewy finish. While I do not want "greasy" or anything highly oily, I think the water base reminds me of something very thin and quickly absorbed.
When people say that their skin is dry because they don't drink enough water, I know that this is not my own experience, for example. I understand that hydrating the body inside will not necessarily "moisturize" my skin. To get proper moisture on the skin's surface, you have to be intaking good fats (avocado, olive oil, oily fish, flax, whatever/etc). Also, topical creams can add moisture. But water alone will not make you moisturized in all the right ways, only from an internal standpoint so that your organs can function.

I think that knowledge is what makes me feel this foundation is really not moisturizing or capable of leaving a sheen or dewy glow. It's completely water based and I don't know about everyone else, but if i rub water on my skin, it absorbs in and leaves no trace of anything behind. If i put something with glycerin or some other humectant on my skin, it leaves a little glow (or a greasy glow!) behind.

The color options:
I chose C6 initially because I felt that I needed more 'Green' in my foundation. I am usually about a 4.25 (natural tan) in bobbi, and I do seem "yellow". However, I've noticed that the foundations seem to wash me out when formulated for that skin color. I seem to also turn orange rather than my usual tan skin. I've been told that i have a cool complexion, and therefore can seem "olive" at times.

C6 was not quite dark enough to bring out the richness that I wanted/sought. I then tried C7 and while the color may have been decent, I still didn't feel that it was making my skin look as polished or naturally dewy as it could.
My makeup inspiration is Giuliana Rancic (E! celebrity) because her skin has a natural olive tone and of course, it's flawless.

My search continues, and for now, I'm loving the BB moisturizing treatment (new) foundation, and I also like Origins BB Creme (way dark for most people, I wear shade 01 and that's the lightest one offered)....and I still love the NARS TM but the color options were not quite what I wanted. I may still end up buying that one.

Hope this helps - I know it's long and probably boring! The cost for this MAC foundation IIRC is $27USD. Also, I liked the packaging just fine. (squeezy bottle)
Thanks for reading!

7 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2013 3:48:00 PM More reviews by Cortiz4

This is one of the most natural looking foundations I have ever used. It actually looks like skin. Its pretty light weight but very build able.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2013 4:36:00 AM More reviews by selenium89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I absolutely love this foundation. It's the quickest most easiest foundation to apply. All you need for application is your fingers. I've tried brushes and sponges but I find using my fingers gives the most natural finish. In my opinion it offers quite a light coverage but if you don't have very problematic skin and like a dewy fresh look then this is the ideal foundation. It doesn't look cakey at all! I think it is ideal for daytime everyday use, but you may want to opt for a more full coverage foundation for night time or one that has a more mattifying effect. I've heard that this foundation is buildable to a medium coverage but I honestly only use one coat as I don't like layering makeup too much because I feel it may make it look cakey. Face and Body is one of my few foundations that makes me feel like I don't have any makeup on, most people can't tell that I have any on either as it looks so natural up close as well. I'm NC15 and got the lightest shade (not including white), I have very dry skin so this foundation has been perfect for it! I wouldn't recommend it to people with oily skin though. Would definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 5:11:00 PM More reviews by StephKatz1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this foundation. The only fault I can pick with it is I get a bit oily throughout the day on my nose from using this. I wouldn't say this is a foundation for covering up blemishes, but it is amazing for evening out skin tone and looking natural, you could probably pass with having no makeup on. I would buy this again, I love it and think it's great overall.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/2/2013 2:09:00 PM More reviews by dontmakemeupgur

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a wonderful foundation.

It's great with strobe cream for a lovely dewy glow.

I use this all over my face/neck and use Studio Finish Matte in C40 to correct the red/pink on my face. The finish is beautiful and summery. I will absolutely buy this again for it's sheer coverage and dewy finish!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2013 10:06:00 PM More reviews by Vanessamucho

I havent used this product much and when i have used it my reactions have been up and down. It's very sheer which is good, it goes on well and leaves a nice dewy natural looking complection. I would probably buy it agin, though in think it is a bit too expensive.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/31/2013 11:50:00 AM More reviews by Teetska

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

honesty, if your one of those girls who have a dominanting undertone like I am who has trouble finding a color that you can work with and look natural, this is for you. let me start off by saying for a MAC product, not that bad. you get SO MUCH for 30$(USD) just make sure to give it a good shake because it is water based.. if you have oily skin though I don't think this for you. not that it makes your skin oily but without setting with a powder it gives you a dewy finish. it offers light to medium but buildabkw coverage. I usually shake it up, pour a quarter size on the back of my palm, apply some with my Mac 187, and blend and blend and blend. let it dry, if I need a bit more on a bad day (no sleep, dull complextion) ill apply another layer, set it, and it last me about 10 hours. you could probably go longer w.o touch ups but I don't like to let any product sit on my skin that long though o must say this is very BREATHABLE which is what I look for most in a foundation.. this is my second bottle which was a big deal because I am just starting to invest in department store brand makeup and this was my only match.. highly recommend

rated 4 of 5 on 10/30/2013 4:48:00 AM More reviews by YXXC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

If you're after a long-lasting foundation, this is it. Lasts and lasts and hides all imperfections (on face and body). Best way to apply this foundation is with fingers - blend and blend and it will turn into a film and set on your skin. Great foundation if you're going to an event and you're going to be photographed a lot. No need to apply powder. For more honest reviews, 'like' Face Up To It on Facebook, Twitter @YoCalliss, yocalliss.wordpress.com. Thanks :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 11:03:00 PM More reviews by JennyWalsh1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This foundation keeps your skin fresh and looking natural! You can use fingers to apply it but I prefer the foundation brush for a seamless finish! To maintain the 'just like real skin, only better' look, lightly brush on loose powder only on your t-zone and on eyelids.

If you are looking for a more "Made Up" look apply two light coats of foundation all over the face and set with loose powder all over.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/26/2013 2:31:00 PM More reviews by n5357

I really wanted to like this, especially as it's a fav of so many people. However, this just not work for me. I have oily to combo and dehyrdrated skin. This goes on beautifully, very sheer and light coverage. But on my skin type it slid off and did not last very long at all. Good colour selection though.