MAC Paint Pot in Painterly

4.3

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

on 2/21/2013 5:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a wonderful product! I love that it totally conceals any redness or discoloration on my eyelids and provides a wonderful, uniform base to apply my shadows. I usually apply a primer underneath to provide longer wear. It's one of the few paint pots that I feel looks good on me all the time, and I love that it's matte without looking "dry." Plus, I feel like it really brightens my eyes. Definitely a must have!

on 2/21/2013 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this for almost 2 years and have yet to finish. I would say that it is excellent at what it does...which is prime my eyelids for shadow. A little goes a long way and makes the shadow even and wearable throughout an entire day.

on 2/20/2013 11:29:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is excellent stuff - I just bought my second pot. It covers eyelids perfectly and makes your eyeshadow pop. I can't do without it.

on 2/19/2013 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was looking for a shadow that would be neutral in colour, matte and would cover my veins and such on my eyelids. I don't normally use MAC but was in the store for my daughter. I LOVE this. It goes on easily and smoothly - I used my fingers. It covers completely and looks natural. The colour is subtle and really brightens up my eyes.

on 2/16/2013 10:02:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

By far the best base I've ever used.

It's matte and, if you are fair-skinned, it'll look like your own eyelids except better. Paint it on from your lashline up to your brows & you can define the shape of your brows & cover irregularities in one fell swoop. It provides a great base for holding everything from neutral shadows to screamingly loud eye looks in place. Blending your eyeshadow becomes a dream.

Painterly will bring out the porcelain colour in your complexion. The best comparison I can make is the smooth Marilyn Monroe eye with what looks to be only eyeliner on.

If you have darker or dark skin, I have no doubt that it'll make your shadow pop.

If you're in doubt as to whether to go for Soft Ocre or Painterly, take a careful look at your complexion. If you have even a hint of sallowness, Soft Ocre will leave you looking jaundiced as it has genuinely earthy, ochre yellow undertones which aren't visible until you actually put it on (forget swatching your arm: that only gives a vague indicator of how it reacts on the eyelids).

Personally, I don't like frosts or shimmers up to the brow, especially as one gets older. This base really smooths out the appearance of crinkles on my eyelids.

I usually use this with a primer but, if I'm in a hurry, I'll brush it on straight onto my eyelid. If there's not even time to do a bit of shading and defining the crease of my eye, I just swipe on eyeliner & mascara & I'm good to go knowing it'll keep the eyeliner in place all day without any transfer or fading (erhem, so long as it's a reasonably good liner and not just barely better than a wax crayon from your grandchild's colouring book kit).

Did I happen to mention that I LOVE Painterly? No? I LOVE Painterly: it's the most versatile eyeshadow/primer/base I've ever had the pleasure of using!

PROS
I got to swop it for something better
I thought of a new name for it - "Patchily"

CONS
It dried out
It didn't go on smoothly on my lids
I hate pots

on 2/16/2013 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

This product is amazing. I love how if i am in a rush i can apply this alone and it looks great. Nothing beats this as an eyeshadow primer.

on 2/6/2013 9:58:00 PM

This is one of my all-time favorite eyeshadow bases! It is the perfect skin tone for my fair skin, and evens out any discoloration on my eyelids. I apply this all over my eyelids with a brush, blend it out with my finger, then apply my powder shadows over top. Every time I've used this my eyeshadows have lasted all day, no creasing.

on 2/5/2013 11:40:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

My HG! Need I say more?

on 2/5/2013 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

I've had my pot for over a year and I'm about to hit the bottom. This is one product I use pretty much everyday. My shadows, blushes, lipsticks vary from day to day, but Painterly is my go-to everyday shadow primer. I also use it to conceal blemishes and some discolorations. I've tried UD primers (all of them) and not one comes close to this paint pot. I will use it as long as MAC makes it. My lids are super oily, and this is the only product I've ever used that makes it possible to keep shadow from sliding off my lids.