December 20, 2014 | 1650 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by PerfumeMom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

OMG I love this! I didn't think I would like it at all. So I got three samples from my MAC counter (I love you, Trish!) This, Bare Study and Rubenesque. Thought I would love Rubenesque the best, but no, it was too shimmery and Bare Study was too champagne-y for my taste.

This is the perfect color! Yes, it is a little boring but it evens out my my skin tone in the eye area perfectly and nothing beats it as a base. It even looked good alone with lots of black mascara, my Prestige Total Intensity black pencil and liquid liner.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2013 3:59:00 PM More reviews by almond_leaves

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

I use painterly on top of my Artdeco Eyeshadow base. It simply enhances the base and makes blending a lot easier. It gives a velvety finish that isn't sticky but catches color very well. This one's a staple. Plenty of product in the pot, will last me a long time.
I was torn between Painterly and Soft Ochre because I have golden tones to my skin and thought Soft Ochre would be more suitable, but finally went with Painterly since I was looking for reddish brown eyeshadows and didn't want the Soft Ochre to take away from that redness. HG material.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2013 9:40:00 PM More reviews by Rocky22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the first primer I have tried so I do not have another brand to compare it too. With that said lets review!

I bought my jar two years ago and I am still not out, it took me a long time to figure out how to use it. A little dab goes a long way and you have to blend it out. Now that I finally know how to use it I love it it does make my e/s last all day with out having to reapply it however I have noticed its only good on MAC e/ s the cheap e/s fade out. It works well with neutral colors and mattes you can wear under any color as well.

I feel that this product worked for me and the shadows I like. This is pricy but I feel it was worth it I mean it lasts forever. I really like Mac and the quality that they offer, I will defiantly buy this again.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2013 11:14:00 AM More reviews by northerngal100

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I know people love this product - it does hold down shadow for a long time and cover any redness or veins, even in sweaty or humid conditions which are generally unfriendly to makeup; however, I am not a huge fan of the texture. I tend to get dry skin on my eye lids in the winter (I know, gross and weird - almond oil helps) and this really accentuates it. Therefore, it is only useful for me in the summer months.

If you have an oily eyelid problem and your makeup smears everywhere or creases - this stuff is likely a godsend. On the other hand, if you have dry skin, you might want to try a primer with a creamier consistency or just avoid primer altogether...

I am giving it a three only because I see its potential and it does work in the summer to keep things in check - but I wouldn't buy it again. It is kind of an unnecessary product IMO.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2013 10:20:00 AM More reviews by sarahmarie86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I absolutely love Painterly's formula... it's a lot creamier than its sister Soft Ochre. I was kind of apprehensive when purchasing Painterly because it is sooooo cool toned, and I'm slightly yellow. But on my eyelid it does wonders! I have some veins that show through (ugh) and I wanted to cover them up. Because Painterly is so pink toned, it did a great job of doing this! I did a full review and comparison between Painterly and Soft Ochre on my blog if you would like to check it out:

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2013 5:05:00 PM More reviews by MBROOKS425

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a standard in my makeup daily routine. I have been using it for a few years now as a base for my eyeshadow. I love it. I am Asian and have smaller lids, and the eyeshadow always use to crease into a dark line, or my eyeliner would leave a line on my eyelid wall, which is never a good look. I apply painterly all over my lid, and eye lid wall after sunscreen, let it sit for a minute and then apply my shadow like normal. It helps prevent my eyeshadow from creasing, and helps my eyeshadow last so much longer than when I dont wear this as a base. This product helps the color stick if you will, and not slide or disappear off your skin . Would highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2013 4:14:00 AM More reviews by rosiealice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been using Painterly as an eyeshadow base since I first started getting into makeup (about 5 years ago). I've tried a Guerlain primer, the notorious Primer Potion by Urban Decay, but nothing compares to this. The consistency is thick enough to adhere to the skin without creasing, and its nude colour is perfect for any colour to layer on top. Not only does it increase the vividness of eyeshadows, but they will NOT budge at all! The only downside in my opinion is the pot form, as sticking fingers into the pot everyday can't be good, but this could be avoided by simply scraping out the product on a spatula. Other than that, this is a fantastic primer that will last you a lifetime!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 5:05:00 PM More reviews by zuzuwentworth

I've been using this for the past 4 years as my eyeshadow primer and love it. It makes my eyeshadow last all day long (and I have long work days) and the pot lasts forever. When I'm feeling especially lazy, I'll sometimes just use this, as the skin over my eyelids is transparent and looks vein-y (blech).

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2013 2:40:00 PM More reviews by swanvic

I'm very disappointed from this product. I had read all the rave reviews here and from so many beauty gurus on Youtube that I decided to try it out. As an eyeshadow base it does absolutely nothing for me, I have oily eyelids and my eyeshadows crease like crazy when I wear Painterly. I tried to put less product, I tried to put more but nothing worked. As a cream eyeshadow with another base underneath (I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance which I LOVE) it's a beautiful neutral shade and has a nice, creamy consistency, but nothing you can't find in other companies for much money(the MAC paint pots cost 20 here in Greece, which is about 26-27$). All in all, I wouldn't repurchase this product as it doesn't do what it's supposed to(at least on me).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 1:35:00 AM More reviews by ajpowell21

This is a great eyeshadow primer! I use it everyday as a base and I have fairly oily eyelids so creasing is a big issue for me! I find this lasts all day and is still very matte and crease free, even on some really hot and humid days. I usually just use my finger to apply and find its fine. A little expensive but will last for a good 8-12 months. This ones a winner xooxo