April 19, 2014 | 919 users online

Powder - MAC - Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2013 12:41:00 AM More reviews by AnikaAnswer

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm sure this powder is good for oily skin but otherwise I just use it to set my foundation. If you have dry skin this foundation doesn't really leave much of an effect.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2013 1:05:00 PM More reviews by mariealessandra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am in love with this powder! I have been using it for years now and it is one product I just keep coming back to! I take a shade C4 and find it gives me a medium coverage, fantastic when used in conjunction with a good concealer. The powder is easily buildable, another reason I love it so much! My skin is prone to acne and oily at times, and this powder controls the oil very well and doesn't make me break out! I find that after 5+ hours i could do with a light touch up, but it's nothing i couldn't get away with. Definitely the best powder I've used on my skin so far. Love love love!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2013 10:39:00 PM More reviews by thanhvi09

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE IT! I have super oily skin and this powder controls it! The application is super quick and easy, you can get a light coverage with a fluffy brush or a full coverage with the sponge or a dense brush (like a kabuki brush). I prefer a full coverage foundation, but it can look unnatural if you are too heavy handed. To make my skin ''look like skin'', I use a setting spray like mac's fix plus and it does the trick! Because this powder has a completely matte finish, it is really important to add dimension to your face. I contour my face, add some blush and a highlight. When I have time, I like to use a lighter shade of the powder under my eyes, on the bridge of my nose and a little bit on my forehead. This powder works wonders for my skin; however, I don't recommend this product if you have dry skin because it accentuate dry patches.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2013 7:52:00 AM More reviews by testerwhore

well... i must say that i wanted to love this product. i really did... and to some extent i DO! but sadly my face dusnt :(;( i dont know why but this powder foundation breaks me out within a few hrs of applying! i start seeing tiny bumps all over... and whiteheads around my chin area! which is soo weird bcoz no other products do this esp right away! ther r many products which will break me out esp things that hav spf.. most bb creams sadly to say :( but MAC studio fix powder was my HG in my school days. it was the ONLY product i used interms of foundation. i never needed any other liquid/concealer/setting powder. i just whacked this on all over and good to go. however as iv grown older my skin has changed and it no longer settles with this product. and im so sad abt that bcoz i hav still yet to find something which multi tasks as good as this did. i keep being temptee to just use this bcoz its so easy for my quik on the go make up routine... and if it wasnt for the horrible disaster spots that follow then i prob wud still use this daily. i wish i could get my hands on something like this without the breakout afterwards. i gave 3 lippies simply bcoz i was true n loyal to this for so many yrs . .. and gave me perfect results.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2013 3:39:00 AM More reviews by sivadore

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm fair skinned (NW10, freckled).

If you would have asked me to review this product several years ago, I would have given it a full 5 lipsticks. But, I've gotten older, and not only has my skin has changed, but I'm no longer satisfied with the drawbacks of this powder. This just doesn't work for me anymore. It worked well for a long time. I had young but oily skin, got a lot of large painful cystic acne bumps around my chin and jaw, and this powder covered it well. I needed coverage and I needed a matte finish, and this used to do the trick. I didn't care that it was heavy and that oil showed through within a couple of hours, it only mattered that it covered the acne and was matte when first applied and when touched up.

However, I'm older, and now have the beginnings of fine lines around my eyes and at the corners of my mouth. The area under my eyes gets so dry now, and this powder not only settles in the lines, but makes the area drier and the wrinkles worse. Powder foundations always creased around the corners of my mouth from smiling, but it's more pronounced than before.

My skin is still very oily (with some dry patches), my acne is not as bad as it used to be, and I've embraced my pronounced freckles. With this in mind, the coverage of this powder foundation is just too matte and too fake looking for my skin. It might be very different if I didn't have freckles, but since I do, I'm trying to look more natural and let them show through my makeup. This powder goes on way too heavy, even when sheered out with a damp beautyblender sponge. And my skin gets oily even quicker when I try to apply this foundation more sheerly. If you try to touch up with this powder, it's uneven and goes on way too heavy, because essentially you're adding a second layer of foundation. You'd have to use MAC Sheer Select Pressed Powder instead, which is what I'd been doing. That worked okay for touch ups, but still, my oil situation was getting out of control with this foundation.

It's not an issue of skincare, as my skincare routine is pretty great and not only is my acne under control, my moisturizer works very well. This foundation actually seems to trigger my skin to produce even more oil. With other foundations my skin does not get as oily and my makeup does not look as though it's melting down my face within a few hours. This powder also oxidizes on my skin when my skin gets so oily, and it shifts to a darker, pinker shade.

I could never find a primer that worked well with this foundation. I think a good primer might have made a difference, but with my skin, I never found one that looked good or helped with my oily skin AND the dry skin, eye wrinkles situation. I tried many of the more well known skin primers, Smashbox, Laura Mercier, Skindinavia, etc. etc. too many to count. I tried Fix+ and Skindinavia makeup setting spray, and while Fix+ helped this foundation look more natural, Skindinavia just made the oil situation even more pronounced. Oil blotting sheets/napkins just wouldn't cut it. My face looked wilted and greasy anyway.

Now, being so fair, it was hard to find a foundation at all. But earlier this year MAC released the NW10 Studio Fix Fluid foundation. I tried this, and it worked MUCH better for me. I think most people have had the opposite experience with the powder verses the liquid, but for me, the liquid was a dream and I now use it everyday. I don't know why, I'm sure some of you understand this better than I do, but liquid foundation actually helps with my oily skin. It stays put, it doesn't dry out my skin, and it doesn't settle into or exacerbate my fine lines. With the liquid, I apply it, set it with Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder and a powder puff, dust the excess off, maybe use a setting spray or Fix+ and that's it. It lasts much longer than the powder foundation ever did, and my skin does not get nearly as oily.

Back to this powder. I still gave it 3 lipsticks because I think for a lot of folks, this powder will work perfectly. If you have acne on otherwise even skin, this foundation is great. It will cover that acne and as long as your foundation matches your natural skin, you will look great. If you want to cover freckles completely, this foundation works well. If you simply prefer a full coverage powder foundation, or don't mind the heavy coverage from trying to touch up an oily face, this foundation is great.

BUT, if your skin has fine wrinkles, gets very oily with powders, and you want buildable coverage that allows your skin to show through, I would try Studio Fix Fluid with a transparent setting powder instead. A note though, in my case (NW10), the powder version of the same foundation was darker than the liquid foundation. I bought both and tried them both out again recently before writing this review. I experimented by layering over the liquid foundation with the powder foundation (using a dry sponge), and the powder of the same shade was noticeably darker. Even after wearing the liquid foundation all day, the fresh powder foundation showed up much darker on top. The liquid was a lighter and a natural looking perfect match for my skin.

I still think this product is great, and for some it will be perfect. But if your skin is like mine, it's not going to work for you. There are better options out there, even in the MAC family. Try the liquid foundation with a setting powder instead.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2013 8:37:00 AM More reviews by shamelessme

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is amazing.
For background purposes - I have quite fair and oily skin. The colour range for the studio fix powder foundation is amazing, particularly for people who are paler than NC15. It has the best coverage I've ever found in a powder foundation but it still looks incredibly natural when applied lightly. I've found it lasts me about 6 hours before it starts to wear off a bit. Still, an amazing product to use by itself or over a foundation for extra coverage. I would definitely recommend it to anybody thinking of purchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2013 8:08:00 AM More reviews by DeeKayx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using MAC Studio Fix in NC25 for about 4 years now.

Because I have oily acne-prone skin, I tend to shy away from liquid foundations (which never seem to stay put). Finding MAC Studio Fix was a dream come true for my oily skin, but it's not without it's faults.

Because I use it for coverage as well as oil control, I probably put it on a bit thicker than most. The coverage is AMAZING, but it only keeps my skin matte for maybe 4 hours on a hot day. I'm actually hesitant to reapply because it can look VERY thick and it settles into the fine lines around my mouth (I'm 21! I didn't even know I had wrinkles!).

If I'm out in a club and its hot and I get sweaty, reapplying with the sponge is out of the question for me, as it looks streaky and patchy.

I've recently started using liquid foundation (Clinique Anti-Blemish) with a light layer of MAC Studio Fix, and my face has never looked better! I think most of the negative aspects I found in MAC Studio Fix was because I was using it alone (and a pretty decent amount of it!) for coverage, which by the end of the day would look cakey and gross. But using it now to mainly control shine on my T-Zone, I LOVE IT.

This product is definitely my HG. I definitely think the reason I found a problem with it was because I was using too much of it, then reapplying more. Ha! But now that I've learned what makes my skin look good, I don't think I'll ever stop using the combination of Clinique Anti-Blemish Foundation (01 Alabaster) and MAC Studio Fix (NC25)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2013 4:27:00 AM More reviews by mconverse

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love this powder. It is my go-to for setting powder. I've used many other products and I have always seemed to come back to this one. Although, I do have oily skin and I do have to touch up throughout the day, it is the best I've used.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/29/2013 3:57:00 PM More reviews by PizzaPrincess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I bought thus hoping that because its a foundation+powder it would even out my skin a little. Not so! It didn't provide any coverage as far as I could tell. It helped my oily t-zone look decent for a pretty long time, which was great, but I won't be paying that much for a powder again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2013 10:26:00 PM More reviews by meowkitties

This mah shit.

I don't really even know what to say about this powder because it's just perfect, in my experience. It blends really well and leaves a nice smooth even finish. Sometimes i use it by itself or over a foundation. I'm addicted. It's a staple part of my makeup routine. Great to eliminate shine. No complaints.