December 23, 2014 | 1556 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2009 8:50:00 AM More reviews by winterfairy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great product. I was scared when I applied it for the first time because it made my face look terrible - so oily and shiny. I've waited more than half an hour to sink in, but no - shine was there and some unpleasant sticky feeling. But with loose powder on top - it turned out to be fantastic product - better primer than all the others I've tried, very good sunscreen and I hope it has enough antioxidants for my 30+ skin. No breakouts and no blackheads, which is great.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2009 11:38:00 AM More reviews by Safin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Actually this sunscreen is doing a very good job.
It blends in nice, it is not oily and it blocks the sun very good.

Unfortunately it has con's too.
I don't like the brown colour (it stains).
It looks awful when you start to sweat (with sports), it becomes sort of caky/granular.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/16/2009 8:45:00 PM More reviews by ally92

It is a great makeup primer, it makes my skin nice and smooth and keeps it from getting too oily. It helped my makeup stay on all day. I don't really use it for sun protection so that feels like its just a bonus even though its the main purpose.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2009 8:52:00 AM More reviews by emmaon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

One of the products I use everyday, mild regrets I didn't get the higher SPF- but I did by it in November!

A nice base for make up, doesn't break me out and keeps me pretty oil free (not talking miracles). Maybe a bit thick- definately needs time to soak in before applying foundation etc. A little goes a long way, I use about a (largeish) pea sized amount and buff it in with my 109.

Would probably repurchase, maybe in SPF 40.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2009 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Kay789

Overall Rating 3.5
Price 4
Packaging Quality 3
Would you buy this product again? Yes

To me, this does the job, it's not bad but not my favourite. It;s not easy for me finding the best face sunblocks that are eco-friendly, doesn't break me out, is not too greasy, that is really effective etc. I use this one exclusively for my face and I like it more than the cityblock 50 which makes my face white and is very greasy. However, 25 is not enough for me since my face is significantly lighter than my body and it is very sensitive to the sun. I use this when lighter protection is appropriate for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2009 12:40:00 PM More reviews by milkymoo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I love-hate this sunblock. Yes, it's a sunblock, since it only consists of physical blockers. The tint looks really good on my skin; it evens out my ruddy skin pretty well. My super reactive skin doesn't scream at all. The sun protection is very reliable too, since I don't get burn at all when using this. If you look at the ingredients list, it contains a whooping number of antioxidants. HOWEVER, it transfers to things that touch your face. It isn't waterproof; it turns ugly when you're sweating, trust me. Speaking about sweating, while using this my face sometimes itches when I'm perspiring.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/21/2009 2:13:00 PM More reviews by devrim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

It's an ok product but broke me out horribly like many other clinique products I've tried so far. It gives some coverage and doesn't feel greasy. But unfortunately I had to return it.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2009 1:17:00 PM More reviews by kperfetto

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using City Block in its various formulas for years. The Sheer SPF 25 is one of the best tinted moisturizer/facial sunscreen/primers out there for those sensitive to chemical sunscreens. It's lightweight, but still creamy enough for drier skins. (Oily skins might find it a bit heavy.) My only beef is the tint: it's supposed to be sheer, but it leaves a vague muddy orange-brown tint on my face. Granted, I am very pale and I doubt it would be a problem for everyone. Still, I wish Clinique made this in a non-tinted version.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2009 11:20:00 PM More reviews by kawaiishinichan

I have used this product a little over a week. At first it gave me great coverage! Made my skin look so smooth and even. It is a bit greasy looking after I apply, but I put powder over it and then it was perfect! Kept my face looking matte almost all day. But then it was very thick so I mixed it into my moisturizer and it was fine. But I noticed it made my face white compared to the rest of my body. It was very unnatural and it made me look like I was wearing foundation (which I hate). And under direct sunlight it had this whitish cast. No matter how little I used, it made my face lighter than the rest of my body. It worked great as a primer, but could not be worn without matching the rest of your body.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/9/2009 7:49:00 PM More reviews by moonstone2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm a neutral to cool toned ppp (NW10) with mild Rosacea and dry, very sensitive skin. I've been on a search for the most protective stable sunscreen that my reactive skin can tolerate, and haven't had any luck with the extremely high PPD European brands to date. All of them (Avene, LRP, Bioderma) sting my skin to some degree or another.I was excited to try City Block, which is stable, known to be generally sensitive-skin friendly, and contains a plethora of antioxidants. It also contains a tint, which--although I have no previous experience with tinted sunscreens--I thought might be a nice addition. Because I am naturally amongst the palest of the pale, I don't really need the extra whitening effect created by most physical sunscreens. Alabaster skin is one thing; ghostly pallor is another. :) If I use a dab of Atopalm face cream under City Block, it is reasonably moisturizing; a little on the dry side, but certainly not as drying as Shiseido 55, for example. The finish feels a bit thick, but not excessively so. Better yet, my sensitive skin seems to tolerate City Block without any difficulty. After I put it on, I can go about my day without worry of stinging or redness. However, there is a down-side to this product for me; one that has been mentioned by other reviewers. This drawback is the tint, which is extraordinarily unflattering on me. Oh my, could it be any yellower/muddier/jaundicing? I look like I'm wearing some sort of a silly mask. After testing this sunscreen, I have renewed appreciation for Blue Lizard Sensitive, slight white caste and all. If you have warm-toned skin, City Block could be a great option for you. However, if you are very fair and/or cool-toned, I'd definitely recommend wearing a sample for a few days before purchasing.