August 2, 2014 | 1281 users online

Powder - Merle Norman - Luxiva Purely Mineral Makeup

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2007 8:06:00 PM More reviews by makeupqueen26

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The best mineral makeup ever!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2007 11:12:00 PM More reviews by SLS2000

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a great mineral makeup with so few ingredients. I have found that it makes my skin look flawless, luminous and incredible without the large-pored, greasy look that I had with other MMU (I've tried MANY). The color selection is not the best, but the L20 worked for my somewhat fair, yellow-toned skin. Covers naturally, yet very well, layers flawlessly, and does not settle into lines or pores. Fabulous! However, the color selection is skimpy, so I'm not sure that there will be a color choice for all. I've heard that Merle Norman is coming out with mineral blushes and eyeshadows in the Fall. I'll be the first in line to buy them! By the way, I am acne prone, but with dry skin, and this doesn't irritate either of my skin problems. Will definitely repurchase, as this is just about the only line that actually works AND doesn't contain the bismuth oxychloride, parabens, talc, and other unecessary ingredients. With the finish of this, I wonder why the other companies put so many things into their formulations? Makes one wonder...

UPDATE: Still loving this, but I now combine two shades to make the perfect shade. Lasts forever, and have not had to repurchase more with the exception of buying a darker shade to mix with the lightest I initially bought. Seriously, this LASTS forever and the finish is gorgeous.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2007 1:54:00 PM More reviews by yelsel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm a 24 year old with slightly dry, slightly acne-prone skin. I have a very hard time finding foundations that match my skin well, but can can qualify myself as an NW20 in MAC. I chose to buy this product in order to wear makeup that's a little better for my skin and a little more natural looking.

In regards to the product, there are some pros and cons: PROS: I really like the natural finish of the product and its slight "shimmer" that makes your shin look luminous, but not glittery. It's also easy to apply and tough to put on too much or have that awful line across your jaw.
CONS: It was very difficult to find a color match. I had to buy two (L60 and ML40). And the two mixed together match my skin just okay. Another con is that it's kinda messy (the powder gets all over my bathroom counter) and that it's not portable. I wish I was able to bring it with me in my purse. The price is decent ($25.50), so if the product works for you, then it's well worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2007 6:40:00 PM More reviews by Sowga

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Would I buy this again?? H*ll yes! This is by far the best MMU I have used. And, there are so few ingredients in it, unlike all other MMU lines. NO bismuth! No preservatives! Just mica, zinc oxide, titanim dioxide and the iron oxides which give it color (there were five in my L20 shade). So, compared to most other brands, this is so much more simple, and relatively little to irritate the skin. I've used every brand you can think of, and this is the least offensive to my super-sensitive, combo, acne-prone skin. And to boot, I get smaller-looking pores, luminous, but non-oily looking skin! Yeah! Also, the size is GENEROUS, at 1/2 of an ounce, you pay $26. That's a bargain for such a high-quality, gentle, and effective product. Don't even need to use concealer with this one. Holy Grail.....

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2007 1:09:00 AM More reviews by damblues

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

UPDATE: 1/27/08 - I am still using the original jar I purchase over 7 months ago and still have quite a bit left! I have tried a couple of other foundations but keep returning to this one. I use it all the time. I love it. I recently tried Laura Mercier and Alima and neither performed like this one does on me. I bought my daughter some today in the lightest shade and it looked great on her skin. They have additional colors now. For the price of this foundation (approx $30) - it has lasted me over 7 months, making it very cost effective. This one is my HG.

I have been using this for about a month now. I really like it. It looks better on my skin than BE, Sheer Cover, Mineral Wear, the Loreal one, the Physician's Formula one, etc.... I, originally, got the ML80 but it was too yellow on my face. I took it back and swapped out for the ML40. This is much better. Feel silky on my face. I use my kabuki brush from BE. They told me several more shades were coming out soon. RIght now there are just 4. This is a large container so I think it makes it cost effective. I am really liking it so far.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/19/2007 3:38:00 PM More reviews by ccarolee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

problem : i went to the merle norman in Tustin, to check out the mineral makeup.

problem #1: none in stock
problem #2: i asked to try some, and it had NO coverage (they did not buff in, which is how i usually use mineral makeup)
problem #3: the color was a bit too pink, so i asked about the other colors. they said that All other colors are Discontinued...??? is that true?
problem #4: i asked if the coverage was sheer, and she said Yes. she told me to use the luxiva foundation powder, but the other mineral makeups i've tried have alot of Coverage capability...?

needless to say i didn't put my name on a list to order it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2007 1:35:00 PM More reviews by LongBeachGirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I may have to ditch my liquid foundations for good. This is amazing makeup and my skin looks absolutely perfect without looking masky, cakey or shiny. It just looks like good skin. I buffed it on on one side of my face for comparison and WOW I was sold! No itching, lasts all day, looks natural in sunlight (a true test) and has only 4 ingredients. Comes in a big container which will last quite awhile. I can't recommend this enough. Totally excellent!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2007 4:42:00 PM More reviews by ultimagrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I never, ever, ever thought I'd write a positive review about a Merle Norman product - did I say EVER? - and especially that I'd write one about Merle Norman having the best mineral foundation I've ever tried. Now, just to put things in perspective as to what I've tried as far as minerals: BE, Everyday Minerals, Alima, Bare Faced Minerals, Physicians Formula (pressed and loose), L'oreal, Milani (pressed and loose), Isadora, Arbonne, La Bella Donna, Aromaleigh, European Bare and Jane. So....to say that Merle Norman is the best I've tried is saying a lot, I think.

I'm a FFF so I got L20 which is their lightest shade. This formulation contains four ingredients - mica, zinc oxide, titanium dioxide and iron oxides. The L20 is light and appears to have some pink/peach tones in it to me. This is perfect for me because I definitely have pink undertones to my skin.

I put it on with my Arbonne kabuki (which I absolutely love) and immediately liked the color. It seemed to blend better with my skin than other brands and was a closer match to my own skin tone without covering it up, if that makes sense. The coverage was medium and the texture was very smooth. My skin looks healthy with a nice, subtle glow and no shine. I did not have to use a finishing powder with this.

My skin tone was definitely smoothed out with this powder and any minor imperfections covered (I'm sure this could be built to full coverage - I just didn't need to apply any more because my skin is fairly clear right now overall). I had a little blotchiness/uneven skin on my cheeks which was covered easily by this foundation. This has worn nicely throughout the day and I have not felt the need to touch up (not that I do a lot anyway but sometimes with new products you never know).

Another thing I really like about this besides the number of ingredients, the color and the coverage is the size of the jar. Good God A'mighty it's huge! While this is the same price as BE ($25), it's 14 grams of product. It's the size of a regular loose powder jar which is about double a regular large size of BE for the same price. Personally, I think it makes the powder an even better deal because you get more for your money.

Will update, of course, if I notice anything negative or have issues with this powder. Keeping my fingers crossed though that it continues to be a strong performer because I think I've FINALLY found my HG mineral powder!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2007 11:32:00 AM More reviews by chancydennis

The best mineral foundation I've tried, and I've tried around 6 different brands. The MN minerals don't itch, shine, enlarge pores, or make my skin dry. Almost every other brand I've tried really itched and made my face look too shiney.

The coverage is really, really good. My skin looks flawless with this on. I hope MN goes on to make mineral blushes and eyeshadows.

btw try the MN kabuki brush. It's very good quality for the price and it doesn't stratch my face!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2007 6:21:00 PM More reviews by kjolly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love this mineral foundation. I think it has around 3 things in it... which is way better than other mineral foundations I have tried. It has a wonderful smooth finish. It isn't to heavy nor to light... perfect. Gives my skin a natural healthy glow and my skin looks flawless! It stays on too!!! I will buy this again.