Smith's Rosebud Salve Minted Rose Lip Balm

4.1

Petrolatum, Peppermint Oil, Aromol (blend of 7 rose essential oils).

on 4/11/2007 1:15:00 PM

got this as part of a birthday present, and i must say i might love it even more than the original rosebud salve. i like that its minty and still moisturizes so well, and as other reviewers have mentioned, it seems to leave a bit more color on the lips than the original. the packaging is adorable and there is a generous amount given for the price. overall a great buy.

on 4/10/2007 1:18:00 AM

I love Smith's products. I had bought the original rosebud salve just because I thought it looked cool. When I used it, there was something oddly familiar about it. Then it hit me. My mother used to use it on her hands over 20 years ago when I was a little girl. That made me love it even more because it reminded me of my mom. But that's neither here nor there... so... I didn't know they made this minted lip balm until I came across it on Sephora one day and had to have it. This one does tint you lips more than the original. And I don't normally like mint but this isn't too bad. I use it at night before bed and I wake up with the softest lips. And it's not too sticky that you feel yucky putting it on with your fingers. It's fantastic!

on 4/1/2007 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

LOVE IT! It's minty and tingly, but actually moisturizes! It's what I wish Burt's Bee's was! I have already repurchased....I thought it was LE at Sephora, so I bought some more, but I think I'm ok and it's there to stay. Try it, you'll probably like it!

on 3/24/2007 10:17:00 PM

Loooove this! I was already a fan of the original, though I don't love the strawberry version. This has same texture of the original---perfect and not sticky at all--but leaves more of a rosy tint. The mint-factor is great...not overpowering at all. This is the perfect product to take with you anywhere!! All the rosebud lip tins last forever, too.

on 3/24/2007 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This tin seems easier to open and shut than the original, and the minted Rose seems to leave more tint behind. I love the review below mine and totally relate to that cool, low-maintanence vibe that carrying this around imparts. Of course, this is part of a 25-piece "low mainanence" arsenal of products I rely on ha. I like the mint zing although with the origianl Rosebud Salve, I would sometimes use it as a cuticle cream or hand lotion in a pinch and I can't do that with the minted kind because I feel like it interferes with whatever scent I'm wearing. All around, this is a good but probably not an essential product for me.

on 3/24/2007 12:02:00 PM

Honestly, the only reason I buy Smith's is a) because of the pretty, vintage-y packaging and b) it makes me feel classic and low maintenance. This stuff is ok, not too heavy, but I'd just use cherry chapstick if I was devoid of the vanity I unfortunately possess. Basically I'll keep buying for the tin just so I can take it out and dab it on, and only carry it and mascara so I can pretend that I only wear that makeup. Haha I wish I actually did. Plus, the mintiness is nice but it makes me thirsty.

on 3/13/2007 2:18:00 PM

I bought the original a few years back and was very underwhelmed by it ("I know you can be underwhelmed, and you can be overwhelmed, but can you ever just be, like, whelmed?") This, however, is FANTASTIC. I keep it at work and it keeps my lips soft and minty and ever so slightly tinted throughout the day. Super cheap for the size, cute tin, and fabulous product.

on 3/11/2007 5:03:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I love this balm. It's ever so slightly (definitely not overwhelmingly so) minty and very shiny and soothing. Plus it lets me feel low maintenance. I just open the little tin, brush my finger through, and instantly shiny lips!

on 3/7/2007 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Ohhhhhhhh this is so amazing. Feels great, looks great on my lips, smells AWESOME, and will obviously last forever. And the tin is too fabulous for words, every time I pull it out around other people (okay other FEMALES) they're like "oh gosh that's adorable what is it?" I would take off a lippie for not containing sunscreen but I just can't bring myself to do it. PS I've never used the original version but I did have a tin of the strawberry for a while, it wasn't horrible but I wasn't that impressed.

on 3/7/2007 5:10:00 PM

I like this better than the original, especially when I am using this as a lip balm. i don't know if it is as multi-purpose as the original rosebud salve because of the peppermint oil.

previous reviews have mentioned the deeper color, which is true. it is a deeper color, but not so much that it's a dramatic difference between the two. another large difference is the consistency. this product is a "looser" consistency - it smears more and takes more product to use it since it spreads thinner. (edit/ 4/3) i will say, this makes it easier to wear as a lipgloss and mix with other stuff (e.g. eyeshadow, powder, lipstick, etc)

my one complaint about this is that it really isn't as multi-purpose as the original rosebud salve. i know this is literally called "lip balm" and the original is called "salve" but i can't use it as a moisturizer on dry cracked spots in a pinch like i can with the other.

bottom line? buy it if you want to use it as a lip balm only. otherwise, don't go for it.

Popular Lip Treatments