Smith's Rosebud Salve Minted Rose Lip Balm

4.1

Petrolatum, Peppermint Oil, Aromol (blend of 7 rose essential oils).

on 3/24/2007 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This tin seems easier to open and shut than the original, and the minted Rose seems to leave more tint behind. I love the review below mine and totally relate to that cool, low-maintanence vibe that carrying this around imparts. Of course, this is part of a 25-piece "low mainanence" arsenal of products I rely on ha. I like the mint zing although with the origianl Rosebud Salve, I would sometimes use it as a cuticle cream or hand lotion in a pinch and I can't do that with the minted kind because I feel like it interferes with whatever scent I'm wearing. All around, this is a good but probably not an essential product for me.

on 3/24/2007 12:02:00 PM

Honestly, the only reason I buy Smith's is a) because of the pretty, vintage-y packaging and b) it makes me feel classic and low maintenance. This stuff is ok, not too heavy, but I'd just use cherry chapstick if I was devoid of the vanity I unfortunately possess. Basically I'll keep buying for the tin just so I can take it out and dab it on, and only carry it and mascara so I can pretend that I only wear that makeup. Haha I wish I actually did. Plus, the mintiness is nice but it makes me thirsty.

on 3/13/2007 2:18:00 PM

I bought the original a few years back and was very underwhelmed by it ("I know you can be underwhelmed, and you can be overwhelmed, but can you ever just be, like, whelmed?") This, however, is FANTASTIC. I keep it at work and it keeps my lips soft and minty and ever so slightly tinted throughout the day. Super cheap for the size, cute tin, and fabulous product.

on 3/11/2007 5:03:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I love this balm. It's ever so slightly (definitely not overwhelmingly so) minty and very shiny and soothing. Plus it lets me feel low maintenance. I just open the little tin, brush my finger through, and instantly shiny lips!

on 3/7/2007 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Ohhhhhhhh this is so amazing. Feels great, looks great on my lips, smells AWESOME, and will obviously last forever. And the tin is too fabulous for words, every time I pull it out around other people (okay other FEMALES) they're like "oh gosh that's adorable what is it?" I would take off a lippie for not containing sunscreen but I just can't bring myself to do it. PS I've never used the original version but I did have a tin of the strawberry for a while, it wasn't horrible but I wasn't that impressed.

on 3/7/2007 5:10:00 PM

I like this better than the original, especially when I am using this as a lip balm. i don't know if it is as multi-purpose as the original rosebud salve because of the peppermint oil.

previous reviews have mentioned the deeper color, which is true. it is a deeper color, but not so much that it's a dramatic difference between the two. another large difference is the consistency. this product is a "looser" consistency - it smears more and takes more product to use it since it spreads thinner. (edit/ 4/3) i will say, this makes it easier to wear as a lipgloss and mix with other stuff (e.g. eyeshadow, powder, lipstick, etc)

my one complaint about this is that it really isn't as multi-purpose as the original rosebud salve. i know this is literally called "lip balm" and the original is called "salve" but i can't use it as a moisturizer on dry cracked spots in a pinch like i can with the other.

bottom line? buy it if you want to use it as a lip balm only. otherwise, don't go for it.

on 2/24/2007 4:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Ok, I have to say that this was a complete impulse buy when I was at Sephora. What really took me in was the color of this balm. It was soooo much darker than the original. I had bought the original, and I hated it. Didn't moisturize well, no color, smell was off, and the lid would come open in my purse. I almost didn't buy this because of that.....

I AM SO GLAD I DID!!!!! I love this stuff!!!! It had a decent smell, a very sheer red tint that looks so great when I'm at work and not trying to "look" made up, just pretty. It moisturizes alot better, and the lid is a major improvement. I'm going to buy about 10 more tins of this stuff....just in case it is a limited edition. I don't ever want to be without this stuff!!!

on 2/4/2007 8:49:00 AM

The first thing I thought when I got this was 'HOLY WOAH, THAT THING IS HUGE!'
I'm somewhat of an obsessive lip balm user and don't have overly pigmented lips, so I prefer something with a tint. My Blistex wasn't holding up and after an elaborate adventure into the world of lip balm, I stumbled across this. It's divine smelling, gives my lips a fresh tingle and a lovely tint. It moisturises very well and the large tin will last me for quiiiiite a while. I'm definitely going to repurchase, when I manage to use it all up :D

I love it! Has a bit of a red tint to it (unlike the original) and the scent is fresh and minty (although I find that the rose scent overpowers it). It tingles (not as much as Burt's Bees or Carmex), which I don't think the original does (does it?) and moisturizes my lips well. The tin had a bit of scuffing when I bought it but I guess it adds to vintage-y look. The mint version has a softer texture than the original, more like lip balm.

Would totally buy again, if I ever run out. :)

on 2/1/2007 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

My lips get chapped really easily, and it's even worse in the winter. Usually I just use Carmex, but this is a really nice alternative! I love the smell and the little tin in comes in. It's not too gooey or sticky, the consistencey of it is just right, and I like that the tin is big. I will definitely buy more of these!

Top Rated Lip Treatments