Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

on 3/26/2013 1:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

MUA, you suggested it and now I'm hooked! I started by using a tiny bit on the dry ends of my hair, got brave enough to try it on my face and found out I'm one of the lucky ones it doesn't break out, though other things do (I tested by putting it on only one half of my face daily for a week), and now I'm eating the stuff! Love it for night before pre-shampoo hair masque, and I swear it even has made my wrinkles less obvious (yup, other people could see the difference and I used it on the more wrinkly half of my face around my eye). Love it, and will keep experimenting:)

let me just say that THIS HAS CLEARED 99% OF MY ACNE!!! I have moderate acne and oily skin on my Tzone. I break out every week or so. I've pretty much tried every over the counter acne treatment out there. From neutrogena wash, to clean and clear, and at least 15 different spot treatments. They all seemed to work decently at first, but after a while, they just didn't do anything to my pimples. So i researched some natural ways to treat acne, and I came up with a new (and very very cheap!) regimen: At night, I use neutrogena acne stress control scrub. I mix in a dab of coconut oil with the scrub, which leaves my face moisturized even after I rinse. Then, I use plain old lemon juice as a toner/astringent all over my face, applied with a cotton ball. Lastly, I smooth on a layer of coconut oil and go to bed. In the morning, I do the same thing but instead of putting the coconut oil all over my face after the lemon, I use Sukin moisturizer (its in MUA top picks!!) because its a better makeup base than oil. Hope this helps!

on 3/15/2013 8:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Important : Virgin cold-pressed coconut oil (and coconut milk) works wonders for the hair. It stimulates hair growth, makes the hair strong and prevents graying. For me, coconut oil is the best oil for hair. I apply warm coconut oil on the scalp and hair and cover with a hot towel for an hour or so. It nourishes the scalp and hair.

Occasionally I also use the cold-pressed coco-oil on the body before or after a bath. It moisturizes well without a greasy feeling. It also has sunscreen properties.

However, for my face (ultra-sensitive skin), this oil is slightly comedogenic. It clogs the pores on the forehead and nose if I use it straight off. It works well when blended with water. I got the idea from a blog but never knew how useful it would be for ultra-sensitive skin types like mine - mix 1 part coconut oil with 1/3 part water and blend with a hand blender or an egg beater. Whipped coconut oil works wonders for the facial skin.

Note that refined coconut oil (like Parachute brand, etc) is not good for the hair or skin. It may cause damage instead of good.

on 3/6/2013 4:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

A good coconut oil cleanser for face:
Small amount of coconut oil + a pinch of baking soda. Mix together in hand and massage into skin, rinse well with warm water. Leaves skin soft and glowing!

on 3/4/2013 9:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I've begun transitioning to only using natural organic products on my skin, and am doing what I can (within reason) to avoid unnecessary makeup pharmaceuticals that are filled with unregulated chemicals. For that reason, I've started using organic coconut oil as body and face moisturizer, and even on the ends of my hair to prevent split ends. It leaves my skin incredibly smooth and soft. I also add it to all kinds of edible things. As a food additive, coconut oil is said to prevent Alzheimer's and has lots of other brain benefits. It's great inside and out :) If you don't like the scent of coconut, NOW Solutions makes a non-scented version- I enjoy the scent myself.

on 2/27/2013 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I would buy this over and over again. Use it for EVERYTHING. Great hair conditioner, GREAT moisturizer for face and body. I don't know what else to tell you guys. You really won't understand until you purchase and use it yourself. And even if it does not work on one of those areas, it is soooo amazing for everything else. I can promise you that it won't be "sitting in the cabinet" or "tossed right into the trash bin".

Try it. It's not at all expensive (especially for what you get) and like I said, it's uses are endless.

Packaging could be better on some (meaning mine, don't know about yours) but this is made as a cooking oil so I can't knock the hustle.

on 2/27/2013 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure

MUCH better than refined coconut oil. Virgin coconut oil, smells strongly of coconuts and it is probably the best and most "true" coconut smell ever. Absolutely LOVELY...and the scent lingers a bit.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

love love love! Coconut oil is the BEST oil i have ever tried. Firstly let me start by saying I have a true sensitive skin - eczema, psoriasis, you name it I've probably had it!! I have had small bouts of fungal infections for the last couple of years from the sun. I've had countless antibiotics which work after a couple of months of being on them and only work while on the prescription with the infection always returning and I also used cortisone for eczema on my body and eyes. NO MORE! Since I have started taking coconut oil every day (I put it in my protein shakes for breakfast) I no longer need antibiotics for any infection and my eczema is GONE! I started off with 1tsp and have gradually increased to 1 dessertspoon - I love the taste now!! I also put it all over my body after I shower, and the eczema on my legs has also disappeared. I cannot recommend this stuff enough! - I have read countless books on the wonders of coconut oil and trust me it's true! i have also found that if i have a little bit of oil it also stops my sugar cravings. TRY IT YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!!!!!

on 2/3/2013 10:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is my favorite discovery. I love it more than any makeup product that I own. I use is as a makeup remover, pre-wash for shampoo, leave in conditioner and lip balm. Before I bought it I was worried that it would make my baby fine hair look stringy and oily, then go to waste. Surprisingly it doesn't! I was amazed! No store bought leave in conditioner, serum or any other oil has ever made my hair not look stringy. It's a miracle. Years ago I like many others, hated taking off makeup. Particularly waterproof. Now I really don't mind because the combination of a tiny bit of this and warm water cleanses my entire face after a few seconds of rubbing without any stringing or tugging.

on 1/15/2013 1:43:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

What can I say... this is amazing!!!

I have Keratosis Pilaris also known as chicken skin on my legs and my skin is all bumpy and rough. I did some research and read that KP can be partially caused due to dry skin and some articles/videos recommended using extra virgin coconut oil. At first I was a little reluctant because I felt that it would be too greasy and my skin wouldn't absorb it properly especially because I had bad experience with Palmer's Cocoa Butter just sitting on my skin and not doing anything but finally I decided I could give it a try and it's been about 4 days since using it and my skin has never felt so good and my chicken skin has not disappeared but it has gotten a lot better. My skin feels softer and looks healthier. I haven't used it on my face but I have also used it on my hair. I massaged it into my hair and scalp and left it in for 45min before shampooing and conditioning my hair. It left my hair shiny and soft.

Extra Virgin Cononut Oil is a wonderful versatile product and here are other ways of using it

1) as a body moisturiser

2) to soothe dry hands

3) as a shaving cream substitute

4) as a deep hair conditioner

5) to remove eye-make up

6) to clean and hydrate your face

Because coconut oil is naturally antibacterial, anti fungal, moisturizing and, according to research, great for atopic dermatitis, many women swear by its use as a nighttime moisturizer for their face, too. Try the double-cleansing method: Simply rub the oil in circular motions all over your face and neck, giving yourself a gentle massage as you go. When you’re done, wash off the residue with your favorite cleanser. (If you’re adult-acne prone, avoid this technique unless you know your skin tolerates coconut oil.)

Why use coconut oil? Because it's inexpensive and all natural!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products