July 23, 2014 | 2132 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2011 2:23:00 AM More reviews by silldr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Very nice, leaves my skin smooth and glowing.

I saw other reviewers mention a bad smell (vomit) and wondered what they were talking about- I only smelled fresh coconut. However, now that I've had my product for about 6 weeks, I'm starting to notice a smell. From now on, I'm going to keep the big jar in the fridge and take out small amounts for use. Other users must have gotten low quality/spoiled oil to begin with. So make sure you get extra virgin in a good quality brand!

UPDATE: Has started giving me milia and blackheads- UGH! ...knocking off a lippie for that- milia are a pain :( ... Will start trying the double cleanse method after I use it and see if that helps and update again.

UPDATE PART 2: Like it as a precleanse ONLY. Used as the only cleanser or a moisturizer, I find it clogs my pores. If I wash it after use (to remove makeup) with a normal cleanser, it works nicely. :)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2011 12:29:00 PM More reviews by bennodalove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

I use coconut oil for practically everything but had never tried it as a pre-cleanser before until fairly recently. I've been using it for a while in replacement of my MAC cleanse off oil (was a little too expensive considering how quickly I went through it!) as a pre-cleanser before following up with my regular cleanser.

I warm the coconut oil between my hands and massage onto my face for 30-60 seconds. It takes all my eye makeup off (mascara, gel liner, eyeshadow) and melts my foundation off too. The bad point is that unlike regular cleansing oils, coconut oil leaves a film on the face which I can imagine is what causes some people to break out after using it, because they don't rinse it off properly. Using just water will not work - I have to use a foaming cleanser to remove the slippery coating it leaves on my face and massage that in for a good minute or so! But yes, defiantely make sure you follow up with a foaming cleanser or something so you get all that residue off and it doesn't clog your pores.

After that, my face is left sooooo soft, smooth and hydrated. My skin looks all plump and glowly :) Really great for removing makeup and adding some moisture to the skin. I have combo skin but it does not leave me greasy or oily at all. Better still - I've noticed a significant reduction in breakouts since using this. Good stuff.

A definate repurchase for me. Just make sure you get UNrefined virgin coconut oil and remove it all thoroughly!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2011 7:59:00 PM More reviews by ladyofshalott

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this stuff in my hair, leave it in for at least 1 hour before I shower, or overnight. It makes my hair so soft and smooth.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/20/2011 4:29:00 PM More reviews by CamR

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love using Virgin Coconut Oil as a makeup remover, but I always follow up with a normal cleanser. This is the only makeup remover that I have used so far that has been able to take off my Estee Lauder Double Wear in 1 go, so naturally I love it!
When I use this as a moisturizer in the morning before my founation (and let it sink in for about 10 mins) my foundation applies so smoothly and evenly, and my skin looks so much better!The only downside is that you have to store it in the refrigerator, so making daily trips down to the kitchen to moisturize/remove makeup has to become part of your routine, but honestly it's no biggie.
Love this stuff, can't imagine not having it any more!

Edit: I much prefer olive oil as a moisturizer because it is lighter and has helped reduce the redness and the acne on my face. I am lowering this to a 4 because of that.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2011 2:18:00 PM More reviews by savliving

I do not use coconut oil for a cleanser at all. And the only reason I am giving it 5 lippies is because it is amazing at removing hair color which was the intention at the time. I figured instead of using something harsh to wash the color away I would condition the crap out of it. And it worked! I also used olive oil and of course sulfates to remove, but the results were great.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2011 11:17:00 AM More reviews by vanmol

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Any food grade extra virgin coconut oil from a health food store works. Coconut oil is wonderful cleaner for both dry and oily skin. Antibiotic it clears up acne and clogged pores without stripping skin. For dryer skin, it feels like heaven. Takes off all makeup easily and can be used as night treatment too. For those with perfect skin, I've seen people wear only coconut oil instead of any makeup. The fresh dew look is natural and looks amazing. Try it!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2010 11:38:00 PM More reviews by PandaMoon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I came across using coconut oil when i subscribed to Lopsie's channel on Youtube. and i have to say that it's been very good to me. I mostly use it on the ends of my hair to hydrate them. I melt a little bit on my fingers and then comb it through with my fingers. No need to wash it out because its so light. The only thing is that it's not a miracle worker. I got severe skin damage 5 1/2 years ago from skin poisoning (no sunscreen go figure with a pasty butter ball like me) on my back and shoulders and It doesn't seem to really have much of an effect. I'm not sure if thats because i haven't been using it for very long or because its too light, but it works like a charm every were else. I've also heard that cooking with coconut oil helps you loose wight. Instead of using olive oil or butter use coconut oil. since it turns into a liquid at 76 degrees F. its easy to use!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2010 9:58:00 AM More reviews by pmakraki

It's the ONLY thing so far that has helped with the KP on my back arms.
I don't think I'll ever get rid of it completely but CO has helped sooo much I cannot believe it.
I'd like to take a jar and throw it to my dermatologist's head! So much money wasted, so many chemicals applied on my body and the answer was in my kitchen!
Love it also as a makeup remover.
As a body lotion
As a hair treatment

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2010 3:05:00 AM More reviews by ReeVee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

i actually own only the virgin coconut oil but i have to say, i have turned into a believer. Although it does't work any miracles or wonders, it helped me with my breakouts and acne. I usually use this as a cleanser and then wash it out slightly with a regular cleanser. Then i use this as a moisturizer at night, since it doesn't sink into my skin quickly. I've also used this on my hair, and it did a pretty good job. And... after reading the reviews, I actually tried it out on my dog (makeupalley has made me do some crazy stuff), since he has dry skin. Surprisingly, it had worked well, especially in making his fur soft, too. So far, so good for me...and my dog.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2010 6:06:00 PM More reviews by PaleBrunette

I am a big fan of natural products and home made cosmetics. After a recent surgery left me with an ugly scar, I decided to skip the scar creams and just massage with coconut oil. In the process, I just kept massasing it into my whole body and it has recently become my favorite body moisturizer. The scar is still new and red, but it is flattening out and not as hard. I'm not sure if it's the oil or the massage that's working on the scar, but the rest of my skin is soft and moisturized. This makes an excellent choice for many applications.