Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

on 11/15/2013 5:19:00 AM

I also have terrible problems with dry skin and occasional eczema flares on my eyelids and under my eyes, and this helps ease them.

I tried to get away from it for a while, as it's a bit messy and weird (well, oily!) but I just keep coming back.

Update: Switched to sunflower oil, as coconut oil occasionally clogs my pores.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I have been using organic, unrefined coconut oil on my face for about 8 months. I love it! I use it as eye make up remover. It works amazingly well and removes even waterproof mascara easily. I also use it as moisturizer after washing my face with Cetaphil then scrubbing it with Clean and Clear 3-in-1. If you ever experience break outs with coconut oil I would suggest using LESS, the more you use, the more it sits on your skin. If you use just enough to moisten your skin then you used enough. Also, coconut oil helps reduce fine lines on your face. I used to have a frown line between my eyebrows, with daily use of just a tiny bit of coconut oil that line is practically gone. Will definitely continue to use!

Edit:
Well, I haven't been using coconut oil for the past 6 months. I find that it does break my skin out even to use it as a moisturizer. I have switched to using apricot oil to remove eye make up and am instead using rose hip oil as a moisturizer with dr. bronner's eucalyptus castile soap to wash. I admit, the apricot oil doesn't remove waterproof make up as easily but I'm willing to give that up so that my skin isn't breaking out. My skin is SO MUCH clearer than it was when I was using coconut oil. I wanted to stop having to use any kind of chemical to clean my face and unfortunately coconut oil clogged my pores so much that I had to. I have finally found the perfect balance to my skin after years of looking :)

on 10/5/2013 9:43:00 PM

Love using coconut oil as an eye makeup remover!!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was buying my first jar of the coconut oil in Waitrose (I've read somewhere that it was good for frying things and I had pancakes in mind for supper), when the cashier said that she uses it as a hair treatment! So when I came back home I prepared my pancakes and put some oil into my hair. I ate the pancakes, washed my hair after 2 hours and it turned out to be a great way to achieve brand new hair ends without a trim, glossy and soft!

I have adopted the oil as a weekly hair treatment (just on my hair, NOT for the scalp though) to keep my ends from getting trimmed for longer and it works wonderfully. I have no problem with washing it off, the ends are sealed and the hair is glossy and not weighted down.

However I must say that it wrecked a real havoc on my face! I tried to take my makeup off with it and it was a massive fail: it has actually DRIED my skin! It became tight and flaky plus some pimples were forming underneath the surface after two weeks of daily use so I had to drop that way of cleansing and moisturising. It took my skin well over a month to get back to its 'normal' self afterwards.

It does not work well on my body either (I much prefer jojoba oil as a body moisturiser) and I am not fond of the smell (the least smelling CO was from a brand called Pucca so I will be buying this one next time) that much.

As a HAIR treatment it is very good, even for my delicate hair but as an all-in-one face cleanser and moisturiser it was a big no-no even for my dry skin.

As a hair treatment it is also very cheap, especially in comparison with professional product bringing similar results - I need less than half a tea spoon for my ends (I put it in dry hair, approx 2 hours before I have to wash it, once a week). The rest of it I use for frying and sometimes raw in my green smoothies. This way a 200 ml jar lasts me about 3-4 months. For about £8 it is not such a bad price.

Iuse it for my hair only.
I add some hair mask to it to give it a nice texture and use it as hair mask <3
Makes hair really soft and less frizzy and I feel like like i am in Hawaii.
My hair is not curly so I have to wash it afterwards, but still a big fan of it .

on 9/19/2013 3:38:00 PM

Oh, coconut oil. I know a lot of people love this stuff for oil cleansing and moisturizing and makeup removal but it does not really work for my face. I don't get horrible breakouts from it but it does seem to clog my pores, and it just kind of sits of my skin. Also, it doesn't moisturize my body that well either! My body skin gets kind of blotchy and itchy when I use this, and even any ingrown hairs I might have seem to get more inflamed. Bleh!

However, I gave this four stars because it's delectable as a hair treatment. I use it as a hair mask before I wash and it really softens my mane of hair and makes it very shiny the next day. It also works beautifully as a hair serum post-washing, provided I don't use too much of it.

on 9/17/2013 8:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I bought this to moisterise my super dry, eczema skin and I do like it although I need to add additional moisteriser on the areas that are really dry to lock it in. It absorbs surprisingly quickly and it smells absolutely delicious. I have never used it for anything but my body and I would probably not use it for my face because I have sensitive and acne prone skin. Although it is no miracle worker, I would purchase again because it feels a lot nicer than heavy, thick moisturisers like Sorbolene which sits on the skin and feels unpleasant.

on 9/17/2013 7:35:00 AM

I bought this product after i read so many positive reviews BUT i can't say i loved it. It is like every other type of oil, it's not easily absorbed, the skin remains oily. I have to say the next day my skin was very soft, but the same effect can be achieved with olive oil, wich is cheaper. I tried to put a small amount on my face overnight, and it made me break out, so for the face is definitely a no no! I used it also as a mask for my hear, but no improvements or changes happened. I would prefer this to a regular body cream just because it's 100% natural.

on 8/25/2013 7:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I have oily, acne prone skin and make home remedies instead of buying. Coconut oil works a treat to balance natural oils instead of striping them. Try combining the oil with jojoba oil, castor oil and tea-tree or pink grapefruit extract for a good acne moisturiser. It can leave you with some white heads or dry skin depending on what your skins like. I'd recommend trying it for 1-2 weeks by its self and if your impressed make your own recipe!

on 8/17/2013 12:10:00 AM

You got to buy 1. organic 2. cold pressed 3. extra virgin to see any results. Otherwise I use this head to toe. It's great for the breasts too.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products