April 17, 2014 | 1800 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2010 3:17:00 PM More reviews by tawnyinthepink

I buy this for cooking primarily...don't use as a cleanser, but do use as a hair conditioner. Works well on hair and also for cooking! Cannot use for cleanser as it makes my face oily beyond belief. I gave this 4 lippies for the numerous other things it's better for though!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2010 3:08:00 PM More reviews by tammallama

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

EDIT!!!: This on my naturally wavy dry hair is AMAZING!!! I use this pre-shampoo about once a week. I take about 6 tablespoons or so and soak my DRY hair in it from about mid-shaft to the ends. Do not put this on damp or wet hair, water and oil don't mix and therefore it will not penetrate as it should. Google the benefits of it for your hair....it has changed my hair immensly!

I bought this because I am on a hunt for an all natural moisturizer for my body, and after reading all of the rave reviews about this, I ran out and bought some....at first it was awesome, it made my skin soo supple and smooth plus it smells divine! But after about a week of use I am breaking out on my back and chest, plus I have small white bumps appearing on my upper arms. After more research on EVCO I have found it is insanley comedogenic, so it's a major NO for anyone who is acne prone!

I have special ordered some Hazelnut Oil because it is not comedogenic and has a natural astrigent...so we'll see if that works!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2010 2:51:00 PM More reviews by gommiebears

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

As a cleanser, so far it doesn't irritate my skin or cause new cystic acne to appear. It is a bit greasy but with plenty of water and a clean gauze, you can remove most of the oily residue. I still follow up with a sulfur soap because I have some old cystic acne I am trying to bring to a head. But one of these days I will use this as a cleanser without following it up with a soap.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2010 2:07:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

SLOWLY, slowly I am trying out all natural products/oils to see if I can replace some of my skincare products and cut down on the number. I had disastrous results w/ jojoba oil (apparently, I'm allergic) which led to months and months of no more experimenting.

As I have found several wonderful uses, I will be posting this particular review under lotions/creams, skincare (face) and hair. For cleansing purposes I rated at a 3 because while effective, it broke out my nose area, so it may be problematic for others.

I purchased a jar of Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil at Valley Natural Foods (I don't have a Whole Foods near me) for not much $ (forget the price, but I'm pretty sure it was under or around $10).

PROS: (1) just minor, barely detectable smell (I do love the smell of coconut so this could be a con, but I'd rather have a slight vs an overpowering smell)

(2) inexpensive

(3) tastes really good on toast (instead of butter) :)

(4) worx well on my legs as a moisturizer after shaving - my legs get positively parched and irritated after shaving no matter how moisturizing of product I use - this immediately calms the shaving reaction down!!

(5) works well as a pm under-eye moisturizer = no more seperate undereye moisturizer for me!! (use my regular moisturizer/SS during day under my eyes)

(6) works well as a partial facial moisturizer at night (by partial, I mean I can't use around my nose or I break out), but works beautifully everywhere else, especially on my flushing-type rosecea on my cheeks.

(7) calms down minor chem burns - I accidently left on my Nair Facial Hair removal creme 2 minutes too long = total redness (and I mean BRIGHT red) and PAIN! Applied this after applying cold water = w/in 2 minutes = great reduction in pain. After an hour, redness gone, pain gone, only left w/ small red mark on my chin which actually took several days to heal (peeled and everything - YUK)

(8) works well as a hand and foot moisturizer under gloves and socks at night - once I'm done w/ the products I normally use, I will replace w/ this. :)

(9) removes my long-wearing lipsticks and waterproof mascara;

(10) worx well as a pre-shampoo conditioner - didn't hurt my color, did impart some shine and extra body :) (I also tried as a deep conditioner post shampoo - not a good idea = too greasy after drying my hair.)

CONS: (1) breaks out my nose area

(2) is too greasy to use during day

However, I do highly recommend for all the other reasons listed above!!!

UPDATE 01/20/10: Have switched to grapeseed oil for both cleansing/eye MU removal. Continuing to use as a body lotion, foot lotion/hand/cuticle lotion (at night), pre-shampoo conditioner = still love!!

UPDATE 02/09/10 - saw a LARGE jar of the Nutiva brand at Walmart for approx $20

UPDATE 08/25/10 - I should have written this a few months ago, but:

1. after just a month of using at night on my hands under gloves, I now have to cut/trim my fingernails because they have become so strong and this is the only product I have been using (besides regular hand lotion occasionally)

2. since using this on my feet (and between my toes) at night w/ socks, I have not had a re-occurrance of athlete's foot. Normally I get it at least 1/month = haven't had in 7 months! Since this was the only product I've been putting between my toes (no matter what other moisturizer I may slather on the rest of my feet) the coconut oil gets full credit for this!

26 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2010 6:13:00 PM More reviews by elley01

i just bought this a few days ago, due to all the raving and good reviews to this product and let me say it lives up to it's name, but i found the smell horrible! it smelt like vomit and coconuts mixed together, yuck!!! other then that i found it moisturising for my skin and hair. in the last couple of days ive used it as an eye makeup remover and hell is this stuff good for my eyes. it removed all traces of mascara even water proof and didnt leave me with a heavy black ring around my eyes, as i found out with the eyemakeup cleansers.i would buy this stuff again, but in smaller quantities

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2010 3:50:00 PM More reviews by elizsafox

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I agree with those who rave about coconut oil. I LOVE it. I use it in the summer to tan with - just rub all over and it sinks in nicely - doesn't stay as oily as mineral or olive oil would. I use it in my hair - rub it in dry hair and braid it and leave it in for at least an hour as an excellent conditioning treatment. I sometimes even take a tiny amount to apply to my damp ends and let dry as usual to reduce frizz and prevent split ends (although I have dry, curly hair so this may not work for everyone). It is healthy to eat and cook with as well! Good to always have a jar on hand.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2010 12:05:00 PM More reviews by sophielondon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am a total coconut oil addict! I bulk buy it in big jars, I usually buy 'Coconoil' but have bought others and as long as it is pure, unprocessed virgin oil, you cannot go wrong. Coconut oil solidifies at cool temperatures so you have this jar of solid, white stuff which liquifies at room temperature/when you warm a scoop between your hands. If you research it on google, you will see how many uses and benefits there are to it. Some people swear by eating a few spoonfuls a day or adding it to food - it can apparently help with digestive complaints and all sorts of health problems! It is also prolific as a natural, alcohol-free eczema treatment. I am trying to get my boyfriend to start using it regularly on his eczema as it forms a protective barrier on the skin before showering, making it easier for the eczema to heal, and then when used on dry skin a few times a day also, it apparently clears up eczema very fast. I use it simply as a hair, eyelash and body moisturiser and it is unbeatable! The ends of my hair are very dry, so I just wet the ends and apply some liquified coconut oil to them, wrap them up in a towel for 5 mins and then wash out and do my hair as normal. It makes them much silker and moisturised and easier to comb. I use it all over as a body moisturiser a few times a week and it makes my skin glow. Coconut oil prevents free radicals from pollution etc from damaging the structure of the cells in your skin which is how skin ages faster. So I intend to use this every week for the rest of my life! It is also great mixed with brown sugar or sea salt and used as a body scrub - improves your circulation while moisturising and again leaves you glowing. Last but not least, if I remember to brush a bit of coconut oil on my lashes before I go to sleep every night, they are longer and healthier looking with in a week! I am a convert for life! Plus, a 10 jar lasts me a good few months.
UPDATE: the more I use and research it, the more passionate I feel about promoting coconut oil to others! It really can sort out a myriad of health/beauty issues. My boyfriend and his brother have both been using it on their eczema for a few months now, his brother religiously and my man sporadically and recently forgetting to. His bro's has nearly gone completely which he can hardly believe, having struggled with patchy eczema on the upper arms for about 20 years. My boy is finally, grudgingly admitting I may be right about coconut oil, as his began to get noticably better and stop itching, and since his pot has been gathering dust his eczema has come back.
I have also been swallowing a tea-spoon at breakfast and one again at night on advice of a book 'The Miracle of Coconut Oil.' My digestion is, honestly, a lot better, and I also feel like I have more energy and can survive on less sleep. Last but not least, I've read at least a dozen accounts online and in books about it clearing up persistant athletes foot. We rely on chemicals too much these days without realising that nature and the rainforest have already provided us the best weapons against disease and infection. I sound like a bit of a geek now but i genuinely believe this is one of the best substances on the planet, and I am definitely not the tree hugging type! If you have a spare moment, google coconut oil and have a read. You will instantly go out and buy a pot, and start slathering your hair/skin/lashes/man in the stuff.

46 out of 46 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2010 9:43:00 PM More reviews by lushieluver

I love this stuff, it has multiple uses.

For hair: I warm it up in the microwave, apply it all over my hair and sleep in it, and wash it out in the morning, it takes two shampooings to get it all out, and my hair is soft, shiny, and moisturized.

For skin: I apply it after baths and it smells really good and makes my skin nice and soft.

Makeup remover: I also use it to remove makeup, it does an excellent job, and moisturizes my skin as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2009 7:50:00 PM More reviews by pertiegurlie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: Super informative article on the health benefits of c.o. I know this isn't a health site, it's makeup, but this is just for people who wanna know more:
Why am I even writing a review, it seems MUA already knows n luvs this.
This is awesome! It works great as a moisturizer (!!!!! absorbs, no bumpity-bumps, radiance!!!!!).
Also, I have this icky candyfloss hair.
So I use this regularly, every night, and wash off during the day-- it's made my hair so BOUNCY (like Afridi's when he's bowling) and luscious..hehe.
My cook was from Kerala and she had gorgeous hair & she got me onto this. She said to put it in at night & braid your hair and keep it like that for a coupla days. My hair was falling out from the chlorinated swimming pool water, but this stopped that.
Wanna eat coconuts for the full benefits, but they're so expensive!! I guess taking some coconut oil will have to do...
I get edible grade, 100% pure virgin Parachute coconut oil...it's cheaaap :)
p.s. you know Aishwarya Rai? in this youtube interview i saw, the person complimented her hair and she was like "yeah from childhood i've been using coconut oil on it"

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2009 12:23:00 PM More reviews by Sshaw26

I actually bought this for food purposes - I had no idea you could use it for your skin! I came across it on youtube the other day and decided to try it on my skin and my chapped lips. I LOVE IT! It soaks right into my lips and makes them super soft. Plus it tastes good and smells AMAZING! I also tried it on my arms as a replacement to lotion. I didn't find it greasy at all. It made my skin super soft. Its a weird oil because its solid at room temperature. But as soon as take it out of the container it turns to liquid. A little bit goes a LONG way. The only thing is I haven't used it on my face. I'm a little nervous because I have acne prone skin and I've read mixed reviews. Some people say its amazing and some say it makes you break out even more =\! But I will definitely buy this again replacing my body lotion

The brand I use is called International Harvest's and its 100% Organic coconut oil