December 22, 2014 | 1718 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2013 1:43:00 AM More reviews by BriddaBella

What can I say... this is amazing!!!

I have Keratosis Pilaris also known as chicken skin on my legs and my skin is all bumpy and rough. I did some research and read that KP can be partially caused due to dry skin and some articles/videos recommended using extra virgin coconut oil. At first I was a little reluctant because I felt that it would be too greasy and my skin wouldn't absorb it properly especially because I had bad experience with Palmer's Cocoa Butter just sitting on my skin and not doing anything but finally I decided I could give it a try and it's been about 4 days since using it and my skin has never felt so good and my chicken skin has not disappeared but it has gotten a lot better. My skin feels softer and looks healthier. I haven't used it on my face but I have also used it on my hair. I massaged it into my hair and scalp and left it in for 45min before shampooing and conditioning my hair. It left my hair shiny and soft.

Extra Virgin Cononut Oil is a wonderful versatile product and here are other ways of using it

1) as a body moisturiser

2) to soothe dry hands

3) as a shaving cream substitute

4) as a deep hair conditioner

5) to remove eye-make up

6) to clean and hydrate your face

Because coconut oil is naturally antibacterial, anti fungal, moisturizing and, according to research, great for atopic dermatitis, many women swear by its use as a nighttime moisturizer for their face, too. Try the double-cleansing method: Simply rub the oil in circular motions all over your face and neck, giving yourself a gentle massage as you go. When youíre done, wash off the residue with your favorite cleanser. (If youíre adult-acne prone, avoid this technique unless you know your skin tolerates coconut oil.)

Why use coconut oil? Because it's inexpensive and all natural!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2013 7:29:00 PM More reviews by Kirstyw89

Amazing for hair I have oily skin so when I used it on my face I broke out like there's no tomorrow it was awful but for hair it's amazing mix with almond oil and your hair will grow my hair grows at a slow rate but this really helped and has grown 3inches in 9months

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2012 2:53:00 PM More reviews by bert6889

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love this stuff! Itís got about a million practical uses and it is fairly cheap when you compare it against the products it replaces. You do have to do a little shopping around but generally you can find a smaller -14oz. I think- for around 10 dollars in CAN and the US at most heath food stores.
So as I mentioned earlier coconut oil has about a million different uses. For one you can eat it; it hides very nicely in smoothies and other cooler blended drinks (use your own judgement here), it is a great frying alternative, I use it all the time when I make things like pancakes, stir-frys, ...,ect. Coconut oil appears scary if you read the nutrition label; it is high in saturated fat, though many of the saturated fats in coconut oil though are actually very helpful to our bodies. In a coco-nut shell, coconut oil contains about 40% Lauric acid which our bodies use to fight infections both bacterial and viral, lauric acid has also been shown to improve healthy HDL cholesterol levels. I could continue in this science-y manner but as not to bore you all I will move on. A few things I will mention which are important if you are going to start ingesting this magical stuff. Coconut Oil comes in two basic forms, extra virgin and virgin, cold pressed and well not cold pressed. The stuff you want to eat is the Cold-pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil plain and simple it is more pure and least altered by the manufacturing process. The second and final thing you should know about eating coconut oil is to start slow; I want to thank YouTube demi-goddess Jenna Marbles for writing this (and introducing me to coconut oil in the first place). Many health sites say you should be eating between 3-4 tbsp to see the full benefits. Please ease into the stuff, I tried a heaping teaspoon, it was probably more like a tablespoon on the first day I took the stuff and I felt tired and loopy and mildly sick to my stomach. In fact that day I ended up passing out for 2 hours on the couch. Jenna who wasnít so fortunate wrote: ďThe first day I got my coconut oil I downed a smoothie and 2 cups of tea with it in it. By 4pm I was sick to my stomach, tired and loopy, passed out on the couch for a few hours and woke up and didnít know what the fuck was happening.Ē Consider yourself warned, too much of a good thing is a not so good thing, that said once your body is used to it, a tablespoon of the stuff is about equal to eating a plate full of pasta.
Coconut oil is the bases for many moisturizers and conditioners on the market these days. In hair application of coconut oil (either in a mask or sparingly to dry ends) prevents protein loss in the hair which is the cause of breakages, and also helps to promote new hair growth in damaged strands. A regular scalp massage using coconut oil can help to keep you dandruff and free of scalp parasites. A little bit of coconut oil can replace that tiny $30 bottle of Moroccan/Argan Oil youíve been buying for your hair. Coconut oil may also be able to replace your moisturizers as well as it is effective on all skin types ranging from oily to very dry with Eczema. I personally fall into the very dry category with maybe some eczema in the Canadian winter months. Coconut oil works similarly to mineral oil with the chief difference being that Coconut oil will not irritate your skin. Coconut oil is a solution for preventing dryness and flaking, it delays wrinkling and the sagging of skin. My experience has been mostly great so far. During the summer months when the air is a bit more humid (I live in prairies) I can get away with solely using coconut oil in the winter not so much. I apply Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturizing Cream to lock in the moisture during those months. Also as a side note, I refuse to buy makeup remover. Coconut oil will remove all of your makeup including your toughest waterproof mascara. BONUS! Just be weary then if you are using this to moisturize before makeup.
Finally, and I wonít go into detail coconut oil can also help prevent heart disease, help you to lose weight because it helps to increase your metabolism, Improves your digestion, Improves your immunity, helps your body to fight infection as well as aids your aids other organs in your body, such as your liver, bones and teeth, pancreas and aids in stress relief.
Like I said in the beginning, I love coconut oil. It is great! It remains solid at room temperature and is shelf stable without preservatives for about 3 years. For $10 for a small jar that could potentially last you for months and months and save you that much in whatever beauty products it is replacing. Coconut oil for me at least is a no brainer. Check it out for yourself!

26 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2012 10:31:00 PM More reviews by gc73

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Holy grail product for my hair. I am bi-racial with natural, somewhat coarse 3c/4a hair which I usually have straight by flat ironing or "stretched" using a blow dryer. It revitalizes my hair from dull to shiny. I mix it with spearmint/peppermint oil for scalp treatments, mix it with Palmer's Cocoa Butter for extra moisturizing body lotion--I have used it only once or twice on my face--not sure about how my face likes it yet. I ALWAYS have a tub of this and it lasts you FOREVER and replaces so many hair/skin products.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2012 7:39:00 AM More reviews by PrettyL

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just picked a jar of this up at my local health food store (cold pressed, extra virgin, 4Ä for 200 mL in Germany). I have dry skin with exzema patches that get worse in very cold weather and this is so lovely for softening, smoothing, and protecting dry, irritated skin! It has a lovely but subtle coconutty scent. After only a few uses my worst exzema patches seem to be doing a lot better, and this doesn't irritate them at all, unlike many other moisturizers out there. I doubt this will actually cure it as I've had it all my life, but my skin is in pretty much the best condition it's ever been, without having to use steroid creams. I highly recommend it! Bonus, applying this with my fingertips means that my cuticles get a luxe treatment at the same time.

Bonus green thing: Jar is glass and therefore recyclable.

I haven't tried this on my face so can't comment on breakouts.

Tip: don't heat it up TOO much. I put this on the radiator going full blast and instead of just softening, it turned the consistency of water. It doesn't need much heat. It melts under just the touch of my fingers. When I read that people warmed this up in their hands, I pictured a rather tedious process that involved a lot of rubbing, but this is more like actual butter, it melts immediately upon contact.

Cheap! Effective! Natural! Luxurious feel and scent! Try it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2012 5:38:00 PM More reviews by VeryCherryBaby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Wonderful multi-use product! I use it daily.

I know a lot of people rave about oil cleansing or using this as a facial moisturizer, but my skin is crazy sensitive so I can't use it that way. I DO use it as an eye makeup remover though, and it is wonderful! It's solid in the jar but melts on skin contact, and it removes even my waterproof mascara easily.

I also use this as a deep conditioner for my hair. I work it through the bottom half of my hair, braid it, go to bed, and I rinse it out in the mornings (or later in the day if I don't have to go anywhere.) When I rinse it out, my hair is ridiculously soft and shiny. I do this about two or three times a month.

Oh, and it's also great to cook with!

This is a must-have item in my house.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2012 9:10:00 AM More reviews by viennah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use this is my hair. It's very nice, but more difficult to washout compare to other oils, with no other major differences other than it is heavier and better for frizzy hair. But it makes my hair soft and healthy. I microwave a small glass of coconut oil for 30 seconds, put it all over my scalp and dry hair. I wait several hours and wash out with a bit of shampoo. Voila!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2012 2:25:00 PM More reviews by Janay

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Like some of the reviewers, coconut oil is my HG product for some purposes but does poorly for other uses. It works great as a moisturizer for my legs, feet, elbows, and hands. I like to rub it into my feet, then put on an old pair of socks before going to bed - guarantees very soft feet by the morning. Ounce for ounce, coconut oil goes much farther and is much cheaper than expensive body moisturizers. But I have to keep it away from my acne-prone face, shoulders, and back or I will get a miserable cystic acne flare-up. So even though coconut oil would probably be great on my hair, I cannot use it for that purpose either. And the smell - well, I like it but can understand that it might not be to everyone's liking.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2012 9:45:00 AM More reviews by kokosboll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

LOVE IT. I use a pea-sized amount on my face before I put on my regular moisturizer, and it keeps my skin in top condition. At this time of the year the weather is pretty cold and windy where I live and Coconut Oil saves the day/cheeks/nose/...

Also use it to shave my legs, cook, put a tiny bit in wet hair for moisture, and on any rashes or irritated skin.

Have not experienced any congestion, and my skin turns into a pebbly beach whenever I put anything funky on it. I have dry, sensitive skin prone to congestion (yay combo), and this helps with both oily- and dryness. Magic. Go buy some - extra virgin, organic and Fair Trade.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2012 3:06:00 PM More reviews by casjen54

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this stuff, wish I had found it years ago. I have a lot of Sjogren's Syndrome symptoms, dry skin, eyes, hair, you name it, and coconut oil works for me as a conditioner and as a body moisturizer, (I mix it with olive oil for this, and only at night, but it really helps my super dry skin) A little dab mixed with my moisturizer gives my skin a nice glow. And as others have said, it works very well as a personal lubricant. Great lip gloss, also good body scrub mixed with sea salt.
I keep another jar in the kitchen, and ingest a couple of teaspoons as well as spreading it on toast, etc. The more I read about the many uses, the happier I am that I found this. I buy the unrefined Spectrum brand in a glass jar at the nearby health food store, and I am just never without it anymore. I love the smell!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No