October 21, 2014 | 1269 users online

Masks - Oatmeal Mask

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2009 9:01:00 PM More reviews by alias_feline

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've tried a few 'natural' home-made skin care recipes, and I've been invariably underwhelmed by them (especially the egg and olive oil hair mask, which made my hair feel very odd indeed), but this was practically magic! My major complaint is very dry skin, and of late it's been looking extremely dull because I've been averaging less than 5 hours sleep a night (sometimes no sleep at all) for the last two weeks, so I needed something quick to perk up my skin. I ground up some oatmeal, mixed it with water to make a thick paste, added two drops of jojoba oil and slathered it on my face and left it to dry. I washed it off in the shower using the oatmeal bits as an exfoliant, and it was the gentlest scrub I've ever used. After my shower, my skin was soft, glowing and radiant, and it looked even better than before all the sleep-deprivation made it dull and dry! Extremely gentle and effective, costs nearly nothing, I can't recommend it enough!

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2009 2:58:00 PM More reviews by Lisajoy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I just started using oatmeal as a mask to clear up acne.
It seems to be working.
I will update later to make sure it was the oatmeal and not something else
But I would say give it a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2009 5:56:00 PM More reviews by lavi212

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Love it love it love it.. This stuff is gorgeous .. It makes my skin so soft and it's smells amazing I just mix powdered oatmeal with water and that's that.. I am trying a concoction (not sure about the spelling :p) with yoghurt on my chest cause I feel my skin is a tat bit sensitive there..can't stand the yoghurt smell..I will update on my results with oatmeal + yoghurt mask soon..(fingers crossed) but I would definitely recommend every1 to give the plain oatmeal mask a shot which followed by rose water will make u feel o so soft.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2009 4:28:00 PM More reviews by ratgirldjh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i love oatmeal! i eat it and make masks out of it.

my favorite mask at the moment is finely ground oatmeal (i grind it in my coffee grinder) mixed with a few drops of youthing strategies sesame oil face and body formula, and water.

i make a very thin paste of it and smooth it on.

when it is almost dry i roll it off into little balls. it takes dead skin away and leave my skin moisturized and smooth.

after this i just splash with water and make sure it is off and leave a bit of the 'oat juice' on my face and then add a few drops of oil.

this is the most gentle exfoliation that i have found. i can use this every day if i wish.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2009 12:04:00 PM More reviews by hyt

Perfect: low price and great quality! After blending it with a coffee bean binder, I mix it with fresh lemon juice (I have oily skin) and a spoon of water, or with organic milk only. Will keep using it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2009 1:15:00 PM More reviews by renyun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

With a combination skin that is very sensitive, I am always looking for ways to calm down facial redness. I had heard about oatmeal a long time ago and have tried it on my skin however, I did not see any reduction in my facial redness so I gave up on it.

After watching a youtube guru, bubzbeauty's video on oatmeal as a facial cleanser, I decided to try this again. And my skin loved it! I guess I had been using oatmeal the wrong way before and now, I can see why so many people rave about this natural, cheap product.

For my oatmeal cleanser I put a handful of instant oats onto a bowl and put some lukewarm water into the bowl, you will get this milk-like water when you mix the oats with water which I put on my face. The milky water works wonders on reducing my red face. Love, love! This a great product for those with a lot of redness on your skin!

Not only is this cheap, if this doesn't work for you, you can always eat it for breakfast. Try it!! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2009 2:32:00 PM More reviews by cestlavie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My mother has used oatmeal as a scrub since she was a teenager. I always thought that using home remedies for face care (and body and hair) was great and all, but didn't actually believe they would be as efficient as fancy and expensive products. Well, let's just say I'm a believer now.

Today I was lurking around MUA searching for a miracle product that would soothe and heal my skin. I'm acne prone, with quite oily T-zone and dry cheeks and on top of that I have horrible blackheads and always some flaky spots on my face. Lately I've been getting painful pimples on my cheeks, they're not big, but there's a lot of them. And I just couldn't keep my hands off of them, which of course made it worse.

I thought I'll give oatmeal a try, because nothing else seemed to help. I ground up some oatmeal in a grinder (some of it became powdery, some became granules). I mixed some of it with water and plastered the paste on to my damp faced. As the mask tried I brushed my teeth, then rubbed my face gently with dry hands so most of the mask dropped to the sink. As I rinsed the remains off I felt that my face was very smooth and silky. The blackheads had shrinked a bit and the redness around the acne wasn't that bad anymore.

I can't believe I hadn't tried it before! I can't stop touching my face, it hasn't been so soft in ages. I know it's a bit soon to jump for joy, as I just tried it and hour ago for the first time, but I definately plan to keep using the oatmeal mask again and keep you updated.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2009 8:34:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie35

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

For my combination/oily skin, I mix one egg, 1/2 cup cooked instant oatmeal, and a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil until smooth. As with most masks, leave on for 15 minutes then rinse. Also, I love grinding up oatmeal and mixing with honey for a deliciously glorious mask. And to fade those sun spots, take oatmeal powder and add lemon juice. Works wonderfully! And it also tightens up pores! Oh, I put the following info on my review for honey, but wanted to add it here too: From what I have learned, honey cleans, tones and hydrates the skin. It is often recommended for dry skin, but no matter what the skin type, I would always put hydration first on the list! Fyi, bananas are a rich source of phosphorus, calcium, potassium, and vitamins. They make the skin soft and silky smooth. So how about mixing oatmeal, honey and bananas as a facial? Just do NOT use very ripe bananas for this! And make sure you will not have any allergic reactions by testing it on your wrist for a while, maybe a day. Overall, wonderful miracle worker that is priced cheap. Keepin it stocked for sure!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2009 4:08:00 AM More reviews by allessandra00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have no words to express my gratitude for those who left reviews for the wonderful oatmeal masks and recipes. When I heard about the oatmeal, the first thing I did was to buy a good grinder, and then I found the oatmeal...after a couple of weeks :) I then used my grinder and made a lot of powder which I added in my homemade shower wash, in my handmade face mask(wheat germs, a lil baking soda, a lil clay, and lots of oatmeal ) I wash my face in the morning with oatmeal powder in which I mixed some coconut powder (I ground some coconut flakes-the ones you use for cookies) and the result was amazing.Its a nice thing to do in the morning while you re drinking your coffee-you let that oatmeal/coconut powder on your face for 10 minutes or so till you get ready for work, you wash it off and tada...voila the results...a healthy glowing baby skin Oh and did I mention the nice coconutty smell? =p.I ve never had such soft, glowing skin.Not even with the most expensive products from Clinique or Lancome. You should definitely try oatmeal -it`s a soft exfoliating scrub too- so good by blackheads :)Read my notepad for other ideas :)

Update>I forgot to mention I`ve tried simple oatmeal powder(without coconut powder) as a face powder, on top of my foundation.I can`t describe the results, my face was better covered, looked softer, and felt velvety.It was simply amazing powder.I1ll keep using it and update here to let you know the results :)

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2009 12:05:00 PM More reviews by JessieWW

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have advanced rosacea and SD that react to EVERYTHING, and thanks to another MUA reviewer, I recently discovered the wonder of oatmeal face powder. Itís great, great, great! I grind up the oatmeal to a fine powder, sift it to eliminate larger clumps, and apply it to a dry face (first applying a little jojoba oil and waiting for it to dry). Then I wipe off any visible clumps with a cotton pad. No, it doesnít cover much, but the anti-inflammatory action of oatmeal (ref: NIH site) keeps my rosacea from turning bright red. And if I leave it on overnight, itís even better. Iíve also used it over sunscreen and discovered that my face is less inflamed from the sunscreen. To make sure it stays fresh, I keep the ground oatmeal in a glass jar in the refrigerator and replace it every few days. Thank you, ďfootballoveĒ reviewer for the oatmeal powder ideaóIím very grateful! (See her review under Oatmeal Masks, dated 2/29/09.)

Note: to make the powder even more effective, I sometimes mix in a just a tiny bit of ground licorice root, which is also calming/anti-inflammatory (ref: NIH site). However, since licorice root can also raise blood pressure and some makeup ingredients include penetrators, Iíd suggest checking with a doctor on whether this is safe for you to use.

Now for the not-so-great part: Like other loose powder, oatmeal powder goes everywhere and it can be a pain to clean up. Also, it does clump easily, so a damp face and oatmeal powder donít tend to mix. (Even dry, itís necessary to carefully check your face for visible clumps.)

Overall, highly recommended to calm faces down! (Oatmeal also helps absorbs UV rays.)

26 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No