Oatmeal Mask

INCI: Water/Aqua, Avena Sativa (Oat) Flour, Mel (Honey), Tocopheryl Acetate

on 6/4/2010 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

A MUA friend turned me onto using oatmeal as a mask. First off, I have extremely pale, super sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin with subtype 2 Rosacea that reacts from almost EVERYTHING. I've tried more masks than I can recall, the aspirin mask, organic raw honey mask, milk mask, greek yogurt mask, bentonite clay mask, french green clay mask, dead sea salt mask... and the list just goes on and on, along with store-bought products... This is the only mask I've found that I can use as much as I want and leave on as long as I feel like! It never fails to calm my skin when it's acting super sensitive or when it's breaking out. When I first started, I would mix a little with some organic honey for extra "oomph", but it actually works fantastically all by itself! I pour a bit into my palm and add enough water to make a watery mask. I used to make a thick mask that was difficult to wash off, but it works just as well even if you use a thin layer (and easier to wash off too!). I buy Aveeno 100% colloidal oatmeal, available at Wal-mart. It's very cheap and lasts forever. I've been using it for nearly a month now and haven't used even 25% of it yet. I've also tried to use it as a face powder, but it's too heavy and drying for that purpose. Will never be without this amazing product!

UPDATE: 12/19/12
My skin now rejects oatmeal with a vengeance. Whenever I use it, my skin becomes severely inflamed and breaks out in hives. I guess I've developed an allergy to it, which I just can't understand. It seems to calm my skin for a moment and a few minutes later, I have red spots all over my face, which then evolves into severely oily and congested skin for days on end. Again, I don't understand why this happened, but I guess oatmeal can be a major allergen for some people and I *am* very allergy-prone. So, another product bites the dust. =(

on 5/20/2010 1:40:00 AM

Truly an amazing thing to put in ur skin, It's also very versatile (U can mix it with pretty much everything) In my case, I use it as a extra ingredient for my homemade masks to give consistency and add an extra OIL ABSORBING agent (Acts like a clay mask) IT'S ALSO SUPER GENTLE AND EFFECTIVE.

I obviously will always use this, IT'S A MUST FOR HOMEMADE MASKS JUST AMAZING!!

on 5/5/2010 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Hey guys, I haven't tried oatmeal powder as of yet but I got news... Walmart has Dr. Teal's colloidal oatmeal bath soak, I got some in my bathroom I haven't used yet and I'm pretty sure it's 100% oatmeal powder without any mineral oil in it.. I would not use Aveeno's bc it has mineral oil in it..
I suppose Dr. Teal's would be great to use as a ready made makeup powder, like that one user had mentioned before? Dr. Teal's saves time grounding the oatmeal into a powder bc it's already been done for you.. Comes in a resealable bag too!!
I was psyched when I first found it for bath soaks.. Now I can't wait to use it on my face!!!!

on 4/27/2010 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

okay, I just did my first oatmeal mask. I used finely ground oatmeal and water mixed together to make a thick paste, then I slathered a fairly heavy layer all over my face and let it completely dry to solid. Don't think I'll let dry that much again..lol...I thought I was never going to get it off. That being said I did like the results. Nothing amazing but then again this was the first time and the result may be culmative. However once I got the stuff off I did notice that my face was really soft and completely free of oil. My pores looked greatly diminished too, maybe because the mask removed the oil from them. One thing that was strange though was that after the oatmeal mask I applied a lactic acid treatment that I also use a couple of times a week and it stung like crazy. That's very odd for me because well I do have some skin problems like redness around my nose, dry patches, pigment spots and oily areas, one problem I don't have is sensitive skin. I have never had a bad reaction to any skin product. Nothing seems to irritate my skin and my lactic acid certainly never hurt before so I was very surprised by this. Maybe the mask just left my skin a little stripped and sensitive. Anyways I will continue using the oatmeal and maybe try mixing it with different ingredients as I have recently become interested in making my own skin care. Will update if I notice any results for better or worse.

on 3/31/2010 11:05:00 AM

My personal recipe for an oatmeal mask (i have combination skin with a bit of acne, redness, blackheads - ugh..!):

Blitz the oatmeal in a blender/food processor with a quarter of that amount of green tea leaves until it's nice and fine, then sieve the powder (you can keep this powder and mix it with the wet ingredients whenever ur ready to use).
Mix it with honey and apple cider vinegar (the proportions r up to ur personal preference) and smear it all over ur face! I waited about half an hour before washing it off and exfoliating while doing so. Hope this helps anyone =]

If pressed for time, or you just don't have honey and apple cider vinegar laying around, plain warm water is a substitute. Also, for extra exfoliating u can add some sugar to give it more grainyness. Yoghurt is another optional ingredient if u find that helps u, go nuts!

on 3/12/2010 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I can just agree with everyone else. I absolutely love this mask and I am almost sad that I didn't learn about it earlier. I have used the water + oatmeal combination only and that alone works great. You mix together oatmeal and water until it has the same consistency as porridge and then I put it on to my cleansed face with circular motions. Then I wait until it dries and when it does, I rinse it off with luke warm to warm water. If I'm being extra careful I quickle rinse my face with cold water the last thing I do, as to not leave any pores open.

Good luck with this everyone (although you cant really go wrong with this)!

on 3/3/2010 10:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

i used oatmeal for about a month then i stopped using it and i noticed that my cheeks would turn red everyday after using this when i didn't use it this wouldn't happen. although this made a big improvement on my skin by giving it a glow and i would never feel a tight sensation after using this like how it gets when i wash my face with a cleanser, i wasn't liking the red cheeks and hot sensation every time! i really don't know why this happens but i still use it when my face is TOO dry to use my normal cleanser.

on 2/28/2010 6:33:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

OATMEAL~my winter face mask base and HG. Sure, Aspirin makes a great mask...over do it tho and you end up breaking out. Yogurt, same deal.
I really love making homemade face masks and love versatility and usefulness of plain oatmeal.
I mix either Dr. Teal's Collodial Oatmeal soak or very finely ground scotch oats with a variety of things. Onion juice, for one. You are going "ew gross!" and I agree. Smearing oatmeal and onion on your face isn't the most appealing thing, and it does stink. I do this mask at night so that the smell of onion doesn't hang around me all day. So before bed I take 3 Tbs of red onion juice and 3 Tbs of oat powder and mix it well. Some might use honey as well, but honey on my skin gives me hives. I slather this mask on my face and wait til it dries, and then rinse with warm water, then cleanse my skin. Onion has this incredible ability to clear up skin, and even out skin tone, and oats unclog pores. I did this onion and oats mask for a week and the clairity of my skin is astounding! Google it and see what I mean.
Another oatmeal mask to try is Oatmeal and peach juice. I do this one in the morning and it makes my face glow.
Try it ;)

on 2/21/2010 11:11:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This is amazing stuff. I use it as a mask or gentle exfoliant while I'm in the bath: oatmeal with a few drops of water, sometimes honey, sometimes not. I might experiment with other stuff as well, but oatmeal&water alone are great enough- leave my skin soft and hydrated enough. Very easy to prepare, cheap, it even tastes nice...

on 2/12/2010 1:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

OMG!!!! I swear to god this stuff is amazing!!! Half a year ago after going through some tough stuff my clear complexion has started to break out. I didn't realize it until one day I looked and the mirror and I saw acne on my cheeks. The blemishes on my face were red and inflamed. I decided to do something about it. I went to the doctor and I was prescribed Differin gel and 100mg of Apo-minocycline. It seemed to work for the first week or so but then it just got worst-my acne was out of control and i felt so helpless. Luckily recently I was searching up home remedies for clear acne skin on forms. Then I FOUND IT the oatmeal mask. I have read really go reviews on it and everyone loves it. Since my acne got so bad nothing can possibly make it worst. First I was a bit skeptical about this, but after trying it after the first time I was amazed how much this had made my skin glowed. When woke up the next morning I can see the redness of my blemishes died down and it was less inflamed. Right now I have been using this mask everyday for about a week or and it has made wonders for me. Ladies you MUST try this before anything else, oatmeal is so cheap and convenient so why not try it. I can't promise that It will work for you but there is nothing wrong with trying it (it's natural). PS make sure you are not allergic to oatmeal=)))

Video Reviews & Tutorials