December 18, 2014 | 1812 users online

Masks - Oatmeal Mask

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2010 12:20:00 PM More reviews by alaintrain22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

If you have skin that reacts to everything (lots of environmental allergies) this stuff is great. My face will start itching and breaking out turning very red. I take a little of this, grind it into a powder using the coffee grinder and add a little milk or yogurt and apply it. It is immediately calming and eases the itchness. To remove rinse and exfoliate. You are left with calm soothed skin. Thanks Quakers Oats.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2009 10:59:00 AM More reviews by kumintang

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

thank you thank you thank you MUA'ers, never would have thought to incorporate oatmeal into my beauty routine if it wasn't reviewed here.

I am currently following regimen from acne.org. Although it has sucessfully reduce the amount of my cystic pimples, pustules etc, it has left me with light scars, hyperpigmentation and dark spots. And to add the agony, my face was so severely dry that it itches all the time, red blotches in several parts of my face, flakey and hurts, it even hurts to smile :(. Tried all kinds of moisturizer but nothing works, even changes my face wash to a more 'gentle' face wash, but only help a little.

Then after I read wonderful review here, I immediately tried the simplest recipe, just mix oatmeal (into the blender first..:)), add few drops of water, smear it onto my face and wait for 5 - 10 min, I do it 2 times a day before my shower. I even use the oatmeal as my daily powder now, ideas from MUA'ers as well.

I've done this religiously for 3 weeks and the result is great!
Sure, like other natural product, it works slowwwly, but surely - can't expect miracle happen overnight. I can say that right now my face is calmed down meaning no more itchiness, dryness, no redness, no flakey and I noticed that my dark spots and scars has significantly reduced. Overall, oatmeal makes my skin looks fresh and even toned. I don't know about the effect for diminishing acne though, since I am still using benzoil peroxide, but oatmeal surely calms my face.
I found that the longer I let it sit on my face the better the result is.

Update Jun 2012 :
If I may add another way to use this, for several months I'm washing my face a la erno laszlo 'water splashing' (see my review in erno laslo soap' - I dont use his product, though, I use another soap).

This 'ritual' entails filling the basin with hotter than warm water and splashing it to your face. Anyway, in the morning when in a rush and dont have time to do oatmeal mask I just pour a little of my blended oatmeal into the basin, use my face soap bar and wash/splash my face with that oatmeal induced water (30 times!). IMO the result is just the same when I use oatmeal as a mask, it is just as good.

On sidenote, I think with my finicky and sensitive acne prone skin, I will stuck with this oatmeal forever (I dont mind, though, it's cheap :))

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2009 5:09:00 PM More reviews by tojoyamoto

Oatmeal is an excellent home beauty product with so many variations and different uses!
It is emoillient and softening.
~I grind the flakes and keep them in a screw-top jar to mix with cleanser whenevr I need some gentle exfoliation.
~It's also great in a mask-- just oatmeal and water. Or add mashed banana, avocado, etc
~It can be boiled for a bit, strained through a cheese cloth and added to your cleanser or moisturizer!
~A very gentle cleansing milk for dry skin: 2 Tbsp oatmeal flour, 1 cup boiling water, 1 tsp avocado oil. * Mix all and let cool. Massage into skin and rinse with warm water.* Be sure to keep refrigerated.
~If you make your own soap: mix in 1 cup of oatmeal flour (just ground-up oatmeal) per 24 bars you are making. Add a few tbsp of whole flakes to make the soap pretty.

Yay, oatmeal!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2009 4:32:00 PM More reviews by VanityInsanity

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a lovely mask/scrub, great for keeping my blemishes in order if I mix it with a drop of honey and keeps my mild rosacea at bay. Love it and will keep using it.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2009 4:09:00 PM More reviews by wiseowl

Right after criticizing Queen Helene masks for having useless fragrances, I was suddenly reminded of one of the friendliest facial products out there, oatmeal. Like many of y'all, I was introduced to oatmeal masks by my mother. Just so y'all know, if you're ever in a time pinch, oatmeal that hasn't been ground, but has only soaked in liquid will work as an albeit messy, but useful gentle facial scrub.
Just wanted to mention an oatmeal recipe given to me by lilmama51 when I had a nasty rosacea flare up and my cheeks were burning. Pour one cup of boiling water over a tablespoon of regular old fashioned oatmeal. Let it steep. When it cools, strain it and keep the liquid in the refrigerator--it will be good for twenty-four hours and then you need to make a fresh batch. The liquid is to be used as a gentle facial wash for inflamed skin--splash some on your face and then rinse with water. It does indeed feel soothing and you get to sidestep the usual messiness of oatmeal. So, thank you, lilmama51! Amazingly versatile product that's super gentle, yet gets the job done--and is dirt cheap.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2009 9:01:00 PM More reviews by alias_feline

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've tried a few 'natural' home-made skin care recipes, and I've been invariably underwhelmed by them (especially the egg and olive oil hair mask, which made my hair feel very odd indeed), but this was practically magic! My major complaint is very dry skin, and of late it's been looking extremely dull because I've been averaging less than 5 hours sleep a night (sometimes no sleep at all) for the last two weeks, so I needed something quick to perk up my skin. I ground up some oatmeal, mixed it with water to make a thick paste, added two drops of jojoba oil and slathered it on my face and left it to dry. I washed it off in the shower using the oatmeal bits as an exfoliant, and it was the gentlest scrub I've ever used. After my shower, my skin was soft, glowing and radiant, and it looked even better than before all the sleep-deprivation made it dull and dry! Extremely gentle and effective, costs nearly nothing, I can't recommend it enough!

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2009 2:58:00 PM More reviews by Lisajoy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I just started using oatmeal as a mask to clear up acne.
It seems to be working.
I will update later to make sure it was the oatmeal and not something else
But I would say give it a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2009 5:56:00 PM More reviews by lavi212

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Love it love it love it.. This stuff is gorgeous .. It makes my skin so soft and it's smells amazing I just mix powdered oatmeal with water and that's that.. I am trying a concoction (not sure about the spelling :p) with yoghurt on my chest cause I feel my skin is a tat bit sensitive there..can't stand the yoghurt smell..I will update on my results with oatmeal + yoghurt mask soon..(fingers crossed) but I would definitely recommend every1 to give the plain oatmeal mask a shot which followed by rose water will make u feel o so soft.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2009 4:28:00 PM More reviews by ratgirldjh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i love oatmeal! i eat it and make masks out of it.

my favorite mask at the moment is finely ground oatmeal (i grind it in my coffee grinder) mixed with a few drops of youthing strategies sesame oil face and body formula, and water.

i make a very thin paste of it and smooth it on.

when it is almost dry i roll it off into little balls. it takes dead skin away and leave my skin moisturized and smooth.

after this i just splash with water and make sure it is off and leave a bit of the 'oat juice' on my face and then add a few drops of oil.

this is the most gentle exfoliation that i have found. i can use this every day if i wish.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2009 12:04:00 PM More reviews by hyt

Perfect: low price and great quality! After blending it with a coffee bean binder, I mix it with fresh lemon juice (I have oily skin) and a spoon of water, or with organic milk only. Will keep using it!