Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 5/14/2013 7:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I must say that i am a person that love to spend money on expensive hair products .. I never buy anything from supermarket or drugstore. Is just me ..but then i've tried nearly all HE brands such Kerastase , Redken , Frederic Fekkai , Pureology , Moroccan Oil , Joico and so on. I mostly and longest have use Kerastase and nearly all from this brand.
My hair is very dry and fine. I use to be very highlighted to dark brown ..and then just year ago i decide to bleach my hair to platinum blonde. Of course i did that very slow but still my hair was left extremely dry !! I quickly then bought the most moisturizing Kerastase products ones again and swatch them with moroccan oil shampoo and conditioner. Hair gets use to products and they stop working after a while ..that's why i often change brands in about 2 months. I also regularly use protein like Joico as well as moisturizing mask all of the time.

Now after i end up with such dry hair i did research and also bought Philip Kingsley Elasticizer which is good product but honestly i never got the results as from coconut oil for my hair. I mist tell to everyone that coconut oil for my hair made HUGE difference. There is nothing like it. I use it 1x week as pre shampoo treatment. I apply on my whole hair and leave it there as long as i can. Sometime i stay hour ..some time 6 hours. I never sleep with it ( is good though ) as i cant sleep with plastic cap . After that i just wash my hair as usual. Shampoo and conditioner. That's all.
My fine hair NEVER look flat after that but in fact much better and the other thing is that when i use coconut oil ..my hair also always look fantastic even on second day.

Let me tell you my hair looks much better than ever. My platinum blonde hair is NOT DRY anymore. Looks super healthy as well. I also use coconut oil on my last wash before bleach. And my hair never look dry after that either.
I have been honest with my review and from all i ever tried this is the only product that really makes a tremendous difference to my hair condition.
Nothing else to say i suggest people to give a try to this oil ... It really worth it

UPDATE !!! MILLION THANKS to the lady that recommended oil pulling with coconut oil for whitening the teeth !!! I have been doing this for the last 10 days and honestly ...i cant believe it how white my teeth are !! And trust me i have tried all from crest white strips to super $$ treatments and toothpastes !! This is amazing !!! I use this every morning when i wake up. Just take a spoon of coconut oil in my mouth ( even the oil is not melted , it will melt in a seconds ) and swash around my mouth for 20 minutes while i put coffee and have morning skin care and so on. After 20 minutes i spill this in the garbage ( coconut oil can go back hard and is not good to spill in the sink ) after that just brush my teeth and i am done. I can guaranty you results if you do this for around 10 days ..you teeth will be really white !!! And there is not only that but if you google oil pulling you will find out how beneficial this is for your mouth as is antibacterial and great also for people that have sensitive teeth and gums.
Please trust me and try it !!!

Absolutely Awesome!

I use as mask as often as I like and use it before I shower for as long as I can to keep water from dehydrating my hair. It softens and makes has made my hair super long. I could not say enough good things about coconut oil. Great for cooking and so many other things!

Has reduced breakage about 80%! Overall, A+, and best of all its cheap!

on 5/13/2013 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Works best as a shaving creme for me :)

This stuff is super cool though, very luxerious and so cheap.

Use it on your
Hair
Skin (not face if your acne prone)
Cuticles
Lips
You can even eat it!

I love it when I can use a good natural product in place of so many things!

on 5/11/2013 10:23:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Amazing stuff I use this as a hot oil treatment and a leave in treatment for my hair it feel so soft and shinny. I've used so many over priced hair products for my dry bleached hair and this stuff is the only thing that as improved my hair. I also use it on my face body I put a little in my bath water to keep my skin soft on my lips feet its great

on 5/9/2013 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

Used for hair:
I've used coconut oil as a hair mask which is good and fine, but I love it best as a leave in treatment. I take a teaspoon amount for my thick long hair and evenly distribute while hair is still wet. My hair dries to a soft, slightly piece-y look. Love it.

on 5/9/2013 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I originally bought co to use as cooking oil after seeing it suggested from numerous sources for it's health benefits. Good for you yes, but seems to burn everything so I'll stick to olive oil for that. However, when it comes to using this as a moisturizer, I love it. It is oily obviously but I don't mind that. It absorbs surprisingly fast and leaves my skin feeling very soft and smooth. Plus it's full of antioxidants and skin nourishing goodness that fights free radical damage and has anti aging benefits. I've come to be concerned with the chemicals and toxins in a lot of commercial products so this is great and pretty inexpensive. A jar lasts me a long time using it on hair, body, lips, and face (it never makes me break out). I've also read that it offers some sun protection but I won't be depending on c.o. alone because I'm very fair. Also want to mention I used this to successfully treat my son's cradle cap when he was a baby, used it as a moisturizer for him and successfully treated diaper rash with it because it's a natural antifungal, antibacterial oil. It just has so many great uses.

on 5/9/2013 5:54:00 PM

I received a sample of extra virgin organic coconut oil from my mom. She bought a huge tub of it from costco. I tried this on my face and it didn't work very well. My face become itchy and uncomfortable. I have hyper-sensitive skin on my face, so this reaction didn't surprise me. I will still to my EM (egyptian magic) as my eye cream and facial moisturizer. I use coconut oil as a body moisturizer and I LOVE it. Yes, it's greasy but it doesn't stay greasy for very long. Also, my skin feels moisturized for hours... the whole day even! The coconut scent is subtle and not very strong - which is a plus. Seeing as how this is all natural, it will now become my daily moisturizer of choice. I still have a few tubs of BBW lotions for those times where i don't want to content with the "greasy" feel of coconut oil...but overall, more often this [coconut oil] will be my moisturizer of choice! I also tried this on my hair but it was a FAIL since my hair is naturally very greasy. Applying even the smallest amount of coco oil makes it looks extremely greasy. Still... i love this stuff!

on 5/8/2013 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Cold pressed virgin coconut oil has been a life changing product for me. I originally bought it to use as a hair mask but I never do that anymore (mostly out of laziness). Instead I use it as (drumroll please) lubricant! I have always had an aversion to the smell/consistency of KY and other "sex" lubricants. But coconut oil works great, is cheap and natural and doesn't make my lady parts sting. Note: this only works for us because we don't use condoms- oil can dissolve latex! My other favorite use for it is removing any wax residue after I wax my legs. I love you coconut oil!

Update: I have gone back to also using coconut oil as a weekly hair mask. I put it on, leave it as long as I can ( from 1 hour up to all day) and then wash my hair. It imparts the most amazing shine and leaves my hair soft and healthy looking. Also, I still exclusively use coconut oil in place of KY, Google it! It's safe and works great.

I have had such amazing luck and unbelievable benefits from using this product. I cant wait to share with all of you my review.

To start off, I want to tell you a few of the reasons why I have started using this product, and what drove me to make it a priority purchase. Extra virgin coconut oil (EVCO) has a myriad of health benefits. When eaten, it can help regulate blood sugar, fight heart disease, speed up weight loss, and improve the immune system. Used topically, it can dramatically recover the condition of both skin and hair, preventing wrinkles and making your tresses stronger and shinier than ever before. One of the best things about coconut oil benefits is the fact that it eradicates the need for some of the most toxic, potentially harmful and drying ďbeautyĒ concoctions out there on the market. Look on the back of any one of your shampoo or conditioner bottles and you will almost without fail find alcohol of some sort or another as one of the main ingredients. How does adding alcohol to a product that is supposed to moisturize hydrate anything? Another common culprit in most beauty products is petroleum- despite being a known carcinogen that potentially causes cancer, itís in almost everything. Seriously, itís in almost everything; toothpaste, makeup, lotions, deodorant, clothing, foodsÖ It is important to remember the following when picking out the right coconut oil for you and your needs. It is important to choose a product that is cold pressed, unrefined, organic, and basically as minimally processed as possible. I highly recommend Natures Way Coconut Oil - Extra Virgin, as it is as minimally processed as possible and also has no trans or hydrogenated fats (which is especially important if you are going to be using it for cooking or as a supplement).

Now once you have purchased your coconut oil, you can go on and on about how you want to use this product. In this review, I am only going to list the things I have personally tried that have worked for me:

First, how I used EVCO for my skin: You may be taken back initially because the oil actually comes in a solid form inside the jar. I know I was. In order to be able to use it as a natural moisturizer, you need to melt it a bit, first. All I did was fill a sink a couple of inches deep with warm water. I set my EVCO container in the warm water and let it set for at least 3 minutes. When it has warmed, I was able to pour the oil out of the jar. (A quick note, for sanitary reasons, I decided to have 2 different jars; one for cooking and one for topical use.) Pour the liquid oil into your hands and apply liberally anywhere you want to moisturize your skin. Surprisingly, you can use it on your face without worrying about breakouts. In fact, I have a close friend AND a cousin who have been able to see some success in treating acne and eczema with coconut oil. This is likely due to itís 'natural antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties.' You can use a tiny amount and rub it in until its all soaked in, or you can apply a thick layer and leave it on as a mask before washing it off. I have used EVCO both ways, I have also used it to remove eye makeup, used it on my body after a terrible sunburn, and I have also used this on my arms to help soothe the tiny little red bumps (mild form of eczema). I have had such good luck with this oil, I cant even tell you. There are so many benefits, and so many wonderful properties with regards to EVCO that I think everyone should be using this. Really.

Second, how I used EVCO for my hair: It is a proven fact that EVCO is used and works excellent for increasing hairís strength and vitality, and therefore itís appearance of being shiny and free of splint ends and damage.The exact way that you should use this product on your hair is going to depend on the texture of your locks and what kind of styling youíre after. It does make a big difference.

Those with thin, fine hair would benefit from using this as a conditioner that you apply one to two hours before doing a regular wash. When trying this, I dampend my hair slightly, and then applied warmed, liquefied oil to my strands of hair, particularly focusing on distribution on the ends where the oldest part of the strand is and where the most damage is typically found. Using it this way will absolutley make your hair healthier, more robust and will also make it more resistant to breakage and softer to the touch.

If you have a thick, coarse, or highly unmanageable hair, you can use EVCO after hair straightening or as an aid to relax tight curls. Depending on how dry your hair and ends are (the more dry it is, the more liberally you can use EVCO for hair and the less you have to worry about washing it out in order to keep it from weighing it down), you can use it as a washout conditioner, as a leave-in conditioner, or as a way to make strands glisten or to stay straighter for longer, via a more natural (chemical free) method.

Adding this natural oil to your routine in place of overly processed, chemical ridden products is a great way to lessen the damage to your hair and also give it time to repair the damage that has already been done. I have used it both as a leave in conditioner, and a mask that gets rinsed out after sitting for a period of time. I personally prefer to rinse the EVCO out of my hair before styling, because even if my hair is weighed down in the least, it drives me nuts! But you can try both and see what works best for you.

Last, I really love those products that are all natural and up to us to make the rules. We know exactly what is going in our hair, we decide what works, and what doesnt. I am a forever fan! I get my EVCO at Whole Foods (and sometimes Trader Joes), and while it seems pricey for some oil, think about how much money you spend on conditioning treatments and hair products. This product is so multi-purpose, you will end up saving money over time. I love it!

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

If you haven't tried coconut oil yet...you need to. Never before has a product been so versitle in my life that I daresay, if it were to be taken away, I'd be lost as to what I'd do. I buy organic, virgin, cold pressed (sounds so neo-hippie)...usually Trader Joe's brand, 16 oz for like $5 or something. Skip the Louana brand from the superstore, it's been so refined that all of the health benefits of it will be negated. I will tell you that when you get a jar of *good* coconut oil, it will add the faintest flavor to your food (so that bland things, like tortillas, will pick up the slightest hint of it, but most foods with any minimal flavor (mashed potatoes) will not), and it also carries a light and expected, coconut scent (the ultra refined coconut oils like Louana's that I recommend you stay away from, are completely odorless and tasteless). Keep in mind that it is solid at room temp, and then liquefies around 76 degrees Fahrenheit and there is also an expiration date. There's no need to refrigerate after opening, but it should be stored in a cool place, like a pantry. (Store in the fridge if you want, but there's no need and it gets pretty hard.)

Like every product beauty, diet and health related, everyone will react differently to it. Some, like myself, may love it, some may hate it. I separate some coconut oil into small jars with a spoon for my cosmetic needs and use the rest for cooking, to keep it as clean as possible. These are just a few of the uses that I find for it:

-Cooking: used daily
-Skin: as a makeup remover, moisturizer and facial cleanser (honest to god, it's the only thing I use on my face aside from actual makeup)
-Spa: add some essential oils to it for a massage oil
-Hair: the smallest bit worked into the ends of hair add healthy shine
-Nails: rubbed into the cuticles

continued >>