Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Original

4.3

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 12/12/2014 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I've yet to find anything better.

I've tried BE's primer, NARS's primer, Two Face Shadow Insurance and MAC Paint Pots. So far UDPP beats them all. Makes my shadows laster longer and look better. Has a good texture and is easy to work with. Doesn't muck up the e/s texture (at least not moreso than any others I've tried).

on 12/11/2014 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I have dehydrated-dry double-eyelids that are extremely prone to flaking. I haven't ever experienced creasing, and my main concern with an eye primer is that it helps eyeshadows achieve their maximum potential (vibrant color, prominent shimmer or glitter) and prevents fading.

I find UDPP is a bit too thin to hold onto glitter and I need an additional base for more than a few glitter particles to show up. It does okay with making the colors vibrant and prevents fading so I would consider this an average option for me. It is easier to work with than ELF's cheapest eyelid primer (which goes on thinner and needs more time to become tacky) but I find it on par performance-wise for me.

Overall, this isn't a bad eye primer and it's a reasonably priced mid-range option, but I would look into others first.

on 12/10/2014 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

1 bottle lasts me a very long time, I wear eye-shadow almost everyday. A little goes along way.

It used to be my go to primer, but I don't know if somehow formula changed it isn't so great anymore. I preferred my first bought in hard bottle. The soft Tube which is supposed to also be Original isn't the same. The old kept my eye-shadow looking pristine despite hours of snorkeling in Hawaii. The soft tube one barely last a few hours w/o creasing, but it's not terrible, just ok.

I will not repurchase and have moved on to the MAC Long Wear Painterly Paint pot which also doubles as a base color, and last all day and a party night long.

Compared to the Too Faced Shadow Insurance, I don't see the difference it makes at all. Just your average primer, nothing special. I'd say it's overrated. Nevertheless, I'd buy this again because it is pretty decent.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I've been using NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow base for the past year and it does an OK job but its not my HG....I'm just hoping to hurry up and use it up so I can crack open the full-size UD Primer Potion. I was using this two years ago but had to take a break from it because it started to dry out my lids (I later learned I just needed to apply a little eye cream on my top lid). What I do know is that this stuff does keep you crease free and it gives your lid a nice smooth canvas in which to apply color. It definitely helps a lil in keeping the vibrancy of your eye color intact as well (I found that NARS kinda dulls your eye color just a little bit). I'm so glad that I decided to go ahead and pick up a fresh tube of this since I've been trying out more complex eye looks. This is definitely a worthy buy.

on 12/3/2014 12:36:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have an original bottle of this, the kind that is in the genie bottle with the doe foot wand applicator before it was changed over to the new tube. I used it today and also decided to de-pot it into a small empty jar so I can save every precious smidge of this without wasting it

But now I'm wondering if I'm the only one who has noticed that it seems the formula has changed?
It used to be more creamy, lighter in texture and color and easier to spread too. Am I the only one who has noticed this change? I used the original kind today from the genie bottle and noticed it was way different than the kind I have in the squeeze tube so I did a comparison and grabbed the new squeeze tube and squeezed some out and put it next to the kind from the genie tube on my inner arm just to see and wow, can I see the difference. I swear, the formula has been changed and not for the better imo.

I will use the last of what's in my tube and save the stuff I de-potted today for when I really plan on going all decked out and need my shadow to last but no, I don't think I will buy this again cause it really does seem like the formula, everything about UDPP has changed and not for the better.
I bought the Fergie Wet 'n Wild shadow primer and it's creamy, blends pretty easy and is more affordable than UDPP and does a great job as a primer just as effectively as expensive brands but without the hefty price tag, save your money and use the money you saved on buying the Wet 'n Wld shadow primer and use that money for the good HE stuff. If UDPP had stayed the same then yes, I'd continue to buy it but not now, not after realizing its been changed.
Such a shame. Another one bites the dust.

on 12/2/2014 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

0 creasing after an entire day (8 am to 9 pm) -
USE ENOUGH PRODUCT AND IT WORKS.
Apply it properly and it won't crease.
This is a staple for eyeshadow.
Buy it & recommend it to your friends!

on 11/28/2014 2:37:00 PM

I was not happy with this product. I have hooded eyes and the eyeliner would always end up creasing right away. I've tried several eyeliners and I get the same result.

If you have HOODED EYES: STAY AWAY. The only product that has actually worked for me is E.L.F Eyelid Primer. (Which still shocks me!)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have VERY oily skin (and eyelids). All eyeshadows (even powders) crease on me within 2-3 hours. With Urban Decay's Primer Potion my eyeshadow lasts all day. Even if I fall asleep with my makeup on (I know, its terrible, but hey life happens), while it might "migrate" a bit, my eyeshadow remains uncreased. Have tried a couple of other primers - drugstore brand and Too Faced Shadow Insurance - to varying degrees of success, however none have worked as well UD's. Also, it is a bit pricey for a small tube ($20 or so), however I do find that a little goes a very long way. I use it at least 5 times a week, and the regular sized tube lasts me about a year.

on 11/26/2014 8:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Adore this product. It is, without a doubt, a holy grail for me.

I was doubtful of eyeshadow primers because I had purchased a few from the drugstore that did absolutely nothing. But, I had heard many great things about this product, and decided to give the smaller size it a try. It's worth the hype, to say the least. After using the tiny version for only a week, I purchased the full size, because I knew that I would not go a day without using it.

I apply this to my lids before eyeshadow, and my colours appear brighter and smoother. It works beautifully from my higher end makeup to my cheapest of drugstore makeup. And yes, it does not crease AT ALL, all day long. I've gone a full 12 hours with my eyeshadow looking exactly the same as when I applied it. Incredibly impressive, in my opinion. I use it every single day, regardless of whether or not I'm doing a heavy eyeshadow look. For natural days, I use this under an eyeshadow colour that's the same as my skin tone, and it prevents my eyelids from getting oily or creasing throughout the day.

Since the holidays are approaching, I also picked the Primer Potion up for my best friend as a present, as she often complains about creasing eyeshadow. So, in total, I've purchased this product three times. The price is definitely heavier, but considering how much I spend on eyeshadow as a whole, I really want to get the most out of each product that I wear. I'm still going through my smaller size, and having used it every day for almost two months, that's quite something. 100% worth the price, without a doubt.

Two thumbs up for this lovely potion!

Video Reviews & Tutorials