April 17, 2014 | 883 users online

Treatments - Avene - Cleanance K

rated 2 of 5 on 4/19/2008 10:16:00 PM More reviews by darcy123

This product seems promising as it has both AHAs and BHAs to rid the skin of blackheads and acne. I used it a couple of times and could not stand the smell!!!!!!!!! Like rancid baby powder. And that close to your nose! Yuck. So, I don't know if this product works as I can't stand it have it on my face.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2008 8:08:00 AM More reviews by SAMm3

Well, I've only used it twice but I like it so far! For me it doesn't sting at all or feel sticky, and I don't notice a smell. Definitely not a moisturizer for me - this stuff absorbs super-fast. I do wake up feeling oily, which is kind of weird. (I use it at night w/ nothing else). After reading the board I'm starting out w/ every other night application, trying to monitor possible purging. I think it brings 2-3 whiteheads to the surface each time but they're soft and can be popped (bad, I know!). Otherwise my skin looks more even-toned and smooth. Plus I get patches of dry skin where I'm trying to dry out zits, and this seems to make the zits better and the dry patches peel off more easily. So for now, I'm liking it. I'll update later if it changes! Update: Definitely feel this improves tone/texture. Zits...eh, I still need my meds. No terrible purging to report though.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2008 7:53:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Well now. While I've given this a 2, that's a compromise rating to include hypothetical OK performance (3) and a 1 for performance on this specific skin, that happens to be irritated by AHAs. I can see that this might be an excellent solution for some forms of acne, including what I have, localised late-onset hormonal cystic acne. But try before you buy, and maybe avoid if your skin Has Issues with AHAs: the K contains glycolic and lactic acids.

The K is supposed to moisturize (Avene thermal spring water, glycerin, silicones), mattify and regulate sebum production (zinc gluconate in acrylate microcapsules, pumpkin seed oil extract), and do the usual HA business of surface peeling and pore deep-cleansing.

Unfortunately, my skin reacted to the K. On a first attempt, it stung badly, went red, etc. and had to be washed fast. On a second attempt (next day), a very thin layer was initially OK, then started to react (and I accidentally licked my top lip and got the K on it, and that was very gross indeed). Off it came. Now, I'm fine with Avene's Cleanance (without the "keratoreducing" K), whose formula is very like this one, minus the AHAs and with a bit more BHA (salicylic acid). When I first put the K on, it felt quite like the non-K. I'm guessing that the K would have similar or better effects, if your skin can tolerate the AHA. Hypothesizing aside, I can certainly recommend the non-K for more sensitive skin.

This costs in the region of EUR 12.00-15.00 for a 40 ml tube (more in the US etc.).

INGREDIENTS: Avθne thermal spa water • Cyclomethicone • Water • Glycolic Acid • Propylene Glycol • Glycerin • Polyacrylamide • Lactic Acid • Polymethyl Methacrylate • Sodium Hydroxide • C13-14 Isoparaffin • Disodium Phosphate • Bisabolol • Citric Acid • Cucurbita Pepo (pumpkin seed oil) • Dimethiconol • Disodium EDTA • Fragrance • Laureth-7 • Polysorbate 20 • Salicylic Acid • Zinc Gluconate continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2008 12:00:00 PM More reviews by CharismaSL

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this as a night moisturizer and it works wonderfully. I know it claims to unclog pores and disappear blackheads but I don't think it does any of that as I still have blackheads. I have determined that for blackhead removal one has to use extraction period! Also, it does sting alot if you do have broken skin (i.e. freshly picked pimples)..somewhat like lemon on a cut. That being said, I still like this product because it has cleared up my skin and whenever I do get zits it zaps them instantly. I luv the fact that it treats my blemishes and acne whilst being moisturizing and gentle on my skin (i.e. do not get dry flakes). I will continue to use it as long as it's in the market. I can officially say now that Avene is my HG skincare line! I LOVE Avene products! EDIT (Sept 2008): Stopped working for me. Did nothing to control my acne. Simply stung my skin on application, that's all. Not repurchasing.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2008 4:21:00 AM More reviews by na8i

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used this product when I "struggled" with acne and blackheads at age 16/17 - unfortunately I do not remember if this product performed a miracle on my face, but I guess it didn't since I have no recollection of it...

My face is normal to oily with surface flakiness and some barely noticeable blackheads on the chin and nose, as well as little to-be-"crops" between my eyebrows. I do not usually break out, unless I smear on something my skin doesn't like - moisturizers and so on. I was hoping that this product would provide some moisture and rid me off all my blackheads. After about one week of using this product I suddenly realized that my blackheads were BIGGER than they had been before, the area between my brows was "purging". If I pressed it lots of deeply-lodged little buggers would pop out. I also got clogged pores on my cheeks, and my chin did not look any better. More numerous and "blacker" than before... I also got some really small painful pimples on my nose and jaw area. I first thougth that this was just a phase, but it didn't calm down... So I took a break, and about one month later I tried it again. Same thing happened...

Obviously my skin does not like this product anymore, I do not know if it is the AHA/BHA itself or the thick gel-like consistency of the product. (My skin hates emollients.) I give it three lippies because it must have worked somewhat in the past and because it seems to have a beneficial effect for my SO's keratosis pilaris.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/8/2008 11:17:00 PM More reviews by LowSelfEsteem

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I scored a couple of 5 ml samples from my local chemist and although I only have 2 blackheads I do have some redness from old pimples (despite not picking) and I'd like to see some improvement the my overall smoothness of my skin.
I read through some of the reviews and I'm convinced some people have reviewed a different product. For starters, this is not a cream. It's a thick opaque serum/emulsion containing high levels of AHAs and BHAs (6% Glycolic Acid, 2% Lactic Acid & 0.1% Salicylic Acid) and it's claimed to assist in unclogging pores. It applies easily and requires no rubbing in. I must admit that on application, this stung more than I had anticipated! I have only just started using AHAs in a foaming wash so the 6% glycolic was obviously a big step up for me.
I applied it only on my forehead, across the bridge of my nose and my chin. I can't believe some reviews applied it near their eyes! It's for blemishes NOT wrinkles! Anyway, I cannot advise on it's effectiveness as yet but I will report back after using up my samples. I expect I'll get atleast one weeks use. Edit" after only one night my chin and forehead feel a lot smoother!!!!! As people have already noted this stuff is very tacky and I did stick to my pillowcase. Eeew. Nevermind, hoping for good things over the next week!

Note: It is NOT to be used in conjunction with isotretinon ("Accutane") according the Avene's website AND it is highly recommended you use atleast SPF30 during the day to prevent sun damage.

Ingredients (in Australia): Avene spring water, Cyclomethicone, water, Glycolic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polyacrylamide, Lactic Acid, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Hydroxide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Disodium Phosphate, Bisabolol, Citric acid, Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seed Oil, Dimethiconol, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (parfum), Laureth 7, Polysorbate 20, Salicylic Acid, Zinc, Gluconate.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2008 11:02:00 PM More reviews by gem_babe

This moisturizer is def. my HG. I have combo skin, with occasional break outs, nothing serious though. This moisturizer is absolutly amazing though! It cleared up my face completly, and kept it that way. Even during the tiem of the month, not a single blemish appears on my skin. I'm not too fond of the smell, and i do find that it dries up skin a LOT in the winter, however, it def. serves its purpose! paired up with another light moisturizer during teh day, it works wonders!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/23/2008 7:32:00 AM More reviews by cuddlepie4

After reading alot the reviews below I am quite surprised because I myself am really, really disappointed with this product. I have a fair combination complexion, suffering with the occasional out break but nothing serious. I bought this product in the attempt to reduce the appearance of blackheads on my nose and chin and clear up some of the redness on my cheeks.

Within the first week of using this product my face broke out severely. My whole face broke out, especially on my forehead. This in itself was odd because I have never had any sort of acne on my forehead before, just the occasional spot. But this product caused my whole forehead to break out into dozens of tiny white bumps under the skin.

As for the rest of my face, blackheads cropped up everywhere. It caused blackhead clear areas on my face to break out into blackheads and made already present blackheads more noticeable. If I squeezed anything on my face I was left with a giant red mark, which the product did nothing but accentuate as healing time seemed to take twice as long with this product. As for the redness on my cheeks, it did nothing but make it worse and more noticable.

I continued to use this product for another week before I decided I couldnt handle it anymore. I thought I was detoxing but I was clearly wrong. It got so bad I was embrassed to go out into public because of the affects that it had on my skin.

Not to mention that this product is sticky and rubs off into disgusting balls. Seriously I would wake up in the middle of the night with my face stuck to my pillow and in the morning i would wake up surrounded by balls of product that rubbed off during the night. It is also hopeless under makeup. It would cause my makeup to ball off and caused dark and light patches.

Using this product is equivalent to taking clear glue and smearing it all over your face. And it smells like it too, as this product has a very strong chemical smell.

Maybe I was just unlucky with this product, as we all have different skin types. But i would advise anyone who is interested in using this product to speak with someone knowlegdable first to check if it would be suitable for them. Its better to be safe than sorry, like me.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2008 3:48:00 PM More reviews by dreebb

OKay, first off I'd like to say.. WTF. i read alll these cooments below and i was just thinking, wow this shit is amazing and i use it and its pretty good too.. but i NEVER and i repeat NEVER knew it was a cream that you apply on ur face before retiring :| umm.. this "cosmetician" at shoopers who prescribed it to me told me that it was to be washed off your face.. was i doing it wrong all along and i read the package i believe but now i cant find it. thanks alot guys, Dree <3

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2007 9:43:00 PM More reviews by BerlinerPooh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product last winter to (temporarily) replace my usual wonder product - Clinique Night Treatment Gel - as my skin became dryer and sensitive to almost everything. I occasionally suffer from breakouts along/under my jaw line and need something gentle yet effective to deal with them. My pharmacist suggested Cleanance K and advised me to use it on problem areas at night. It is not really sold as a moisturiser; this is a treatment that helps to clear pores and reduce blemishes. I find the texture a bit odd; the thick gel leaves a residue on the skin and does not absorb, it just sits there like a silicone film. If you touch it after a while it rolls off in little balls (-1 lippy)! However, I must say that it makes a big difference overnight. The pimples are much smaller, less inflamed and the skin around soft and clear. I normally use Avene Cicalfate cream on the same area the following morning and it helps reduce inflamation further. With both these products working hand in hand, I have some control over my spots while keeping my skin happy at the same time :o)

Like the Clinique equivalent, it contains AHA/BHA and it can sting a little on application if the skin is scratched or tender. I have had no adverse reactions, allergies or dryness from using this and the fragrance is hardly discernable. :o)