September 17, 2014 | 2002 users online

Lipstick - Maybelline - Color Whisper

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2013 5:50:00 PM More reviews by teenofchrist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

These lipsticks are just mediocre, very average nothing special. I'd rather buy a MAC lipstick

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2013 8:12:00 PM More reviews by Lydia07

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

The packaging on these looked kind of cheap and I wasn't crazy about the L'oreal caresse lipsticks that are also "sheer color" so I wouldn't have even tried these if not for the good reviews here. So glad I did! I purchased the pin up peach shade which seems to be a favorite and who-wore-it-redder. I love how these feel on and that I can see my lips through them but still have good color. I liked the lip butters but found them at times to be a little heavier/greasier than I wanted. These maybelline products are much better feeling to me. They feel very light and smooth. The color payoff on both of these was surprisingly good. The red color is very pigmented! I see some people complaining about lack of color so it must depend on what shade you choose. The peach shade is very flattering and easy for me to wear. I can give myself several swipes with it. The red shade is a little more difficult for me. I'm not a red lips kind of girl but I purchased this one because I had seen it online described as more of a reddish watermelon pink when applied. Two light swipes on me= extremely bright cool toned red that is almost crossing the line into a fuchsia. Too bright and red for me to pull off but flattering on somebody I'm sure. Next I tried dabbing it on with my finger. I think I can maybe pull it off dabbed on and I'm going to play around with toning it down with a gloss. At the price of these I don't regret my buy and want to get a pink one too. The only drawback I noticed was that when I applied the red the color seemed to slip slide around and smear outside of my lip line. I didn't notice this with the peach but if you have fair skin and plan on applying a normal coat of the red it may be an issue. I highly doubt that these wear very long but they don't claim to. UPDATE: bought Lust for Blush and its a wonderful natural nude shade for me when I want to wear cooler makeup colors. Not milky at all and very flattering.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 5:10:00 PM More reviews by siminims

I. Love. These.
I found the Revlon Colorburst to be WAY too drying and thick on my lips. I've been looking for an affordable drugstore colored lip balm for a LONG time, with no real results...until I stumbled onto the well-hidden Color Whisper display at my local CVS. :D And then I knew true joy.
I have the colors Rose of Attraction, Made It Mauve, Berry Ready, and Cherry on Top. I don't normally pick such pigmented colors, as my lips naturally are about a shade or two lighter than my skin [I wear NARS Sheer Matte in Fiji, if that's a good reference; if not, I'm a somewhat light-medium olive-yellow tone]. However, with these I did notice that I needed the extra color for them to show up noticeably.
Rose of Attraction: a light watermelon-pink. Not cool-toned, but neutral enough for those of us who can't do blue-based pinks.
Made It Mauve: a VERY neutral plum-brown-pink. It is all those colors, really! This can go with anything. ANYTHING.
Cherry on Top: my random, "I'm still young so who gives a--" purchase. VERY vivid pink. If your warm-toned skin can never handle a strong blue-based pink, BUY THIS. It's just barely on the cool side, but the sheerness helps make the color payoff both bright and manageable.
Berry Ready: deep, somewhat dark raspberry. This is definitely a darker berry color [think plum, or raspberry, as opposed to cherry or strawberry], but again, contains just a hint of brown so as to keep it from being insane. It yields a very gorgeous stain of color, and it's strong on me, yet not SO dark as to be vampy. [Which has its time and place, of course! Don't get me wrong.]

Final Verdict: Definitely veer towards a shade or two darker than what you would normally pick up. You can pile these on, and they won't cake up. They're very sheer, which is why the darker colors work so much better than the lighter ones, but IMO they're SUPER moisturizing. Yes, they disappear when I eat or drink--but they're a joy to reapply, so I certainly don't mind! The packaging is a silver twist-open bullet, with a somewhat-accurate color top that locks nicely into place. I paid about $8 for each, which I kind of balked at initially, but they were completely worth every penny. Frankly, if you try one and hate it, you're not out that much money. :)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2013 4:52:00 PM More reviews by MissRaffix3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Over the last few days, I've been reading a lot about this product and I thought I'd give them a shot. I really like the Revlon Lip Butters and I wanted to see how these compare. Plus, Maybelline products were buy one, get one 50% off at my local Rite Aid.
I got the colors "Bare to be Bold" (a nude) and "Oh La Lilac" (a lilac purple). I don't own lipsticks in either of these colors, so I thought they'd be a nice addition to my collection.
The packaging is really pretty and sleek. A lot slimmer than the Revlon packaging. The consistency is thinner and greasier than the Revlon Lip Butters. I actually like the formula of the Lip Butters more. The colors are sheer with just one swipe, but are easily able to be built up. I do like the results they give after a few swipes. While the moisturizing feeling lasts on the lips, I don't feel like the color does. Especially if you're like me and you rub your lips together a lot after applying a lip product.
The smell of them is a slightly sweet scent, like the one the Lip Butters have, only less intense.
Overall, this is a nice product. The color selection is great and they're perfect for every day use.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2013 1:38:00 PM More reviews by wendigrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I picked this up in coral ambition. The color is very pretty and I like the shine and glossiness it give my lips. Its very pretty but it tends to "dry up" in an hour. Without eating or drinking or anything else like that it. I had to reapply constantly I felt like and although I know you have to do that with lip products I just didn't like how frequently I had to with this. Its pretty and I love the color I have but I wont be buying anymore.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2013 7:41:00 PM More reviews by adrianna511

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I just got this at wal-mart in "pin up peach". I looked up pictures online of other people wearing it, and it looked like a baby pink. When I put it on, it was more of an orangish red. Not like a screaming color but definitely not baby pink. Luckily, I like the color it is. But I was surprised at the difference between how it looked on my lips and how it looked on other people's lips online. Anyway, I like how it goes on. I had problems with the revlon lip butter because it clung to even slightly dry spots on my lips, but this one smoothed on nicely despite my dry lips. I have fairly light colored lips and it went on pretty opaque for me. It was easy to apply like a lip balm but gives a nice color payoff. I don't like overly sheer lip products so I was happy with this. The packaging is cute and I'm satisfied with how the lipstick looks on. I'll update later if I have anything else to add.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/18/2013 2:54:00 PM More reviews by hellothere2013

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

If you are expecting 'Baby lips' at various colors, it's not. It's highly pigmented and kind of drying. And it goes on kind of streaky. I tried to remove it from my lips right away and it left a color stain on my lips that felt a bit weird.

Good for: Poeple who want to try a lipstick
Not for: people looking for a color lip balm

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2013 3:35:00 AM More reviews by alextuthreefour

Now that Maybelline has come out with their version of a sheer, glossy lipstick, I had to give it a go because sheers are my fav! I have the shades Lust for Blush and A Plum Prospect and I'm happy to report that I like them both. Lust For Blush is a nice pinky nude and A Plum Prospect is a sheer plum, lovely! Their lasting power isn't fantastic, but I personally prefer a sheer average-lasting lipstick that is comfortable to wear as opposed to a pigmented long-lasting one that is drying and uncomfortable. Although I can only speak for the two I own, I really like 'em and it seems there should be a shade for everyone!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2013 2:14:00 AM More reviews by cherylnk

I bought the color in berry ready. I opted for one of the deeper looking colors since I figured the color payoff would be sheer. This particular color is very highly pigmented and glides on smoothly onto your lips. It feels hydrating when it goes on and it didn't dry out my lips either. It's a really pretty pinkish berry color and left a stain on my lips that lasted through a nap and dinner. The color faded, but it faded evenly and the stain it left was nice. I highly recommend this particular shade and cannot wait to try more colors!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2013 12:03:00 AM More reviews by moonzika

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I hate almost every single lip product drugstores have to offer. They've always got one fatal flaw, and I've generally been turned off by a lot of budget lipsticks and lipglosses. These guys are fantastic, though. I've got solidly pink lips, so sheer lipsticks tend to be a gamble. However, the Color Whispers are everything I've ever wanted in a sheer lip color. They are pigmented enough to blank out the color of my lips, but they retain a juicy, translucent quality to them. It's extremely impressive. I have loved all seven colors I've tried, and I plan to get more. People with pigmented lips probably won't get much out of the very light colors, but I got great results from Mocha Muse, Lust for Blush, and Petal Rebel. They did not apply like clear lip balm on my lips. Some Like it Taupe gave my lips an overall lighter look and masked some of the pink in my lips, which is about as much as I wanted from it. Be sure to at least try one Color Whisper before writing them off as yet another garbage sheer lip product. They've got a lot to offer!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No