Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.4

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 1/26/2014 3:03:00 PM

When Urban Decay initially released this palette I scoffed to myself - who the heck would want a palette of all mattes?! Not I! Then I received this as a gift and given that I loved the original Naked palette so much, I thought I should go ahead and try it out . . . then I slowly but surely fell in love.

When I thought of matte shadows in the past, chalky, batch, poorly pigmented were characteristics that immediately came to mind. Naked Basics defies all of those expectations. Admittedly the shadows are nowhere as smooth and buttery as UD's shimmery eyeshadows, but they have to be some of the best matte eyeshadows I've ever used. They're soft, silky, and apply very true to their pan color and blend together very nicely. A little does go a long way with these eyeshadows. Venus is a vanilla demi-matte, meaning it has more of a satin texture and is perfect the center of the lid or inner corners of the eyes. It would probably be perfect for a brow highlight too, as it is brightening but not ridiculously frosty and stark. Foxy and W.O.S. (Foxy is a slightly yellowed vanilla and W.O.S. is more peach in color) don't seem very different on my tanned Asian skin and I use them interchangeable - my only real gripe with this palette. Naked 3 is a beautifully neutral light taupe that I enjoy as an all-over lid base color. Faint is a lovely blendable neutral chocolate brown and Crave is probably one of the lovelier, almost true black mattes I've come across.

The key to creating a wider range of looks is mixing the colors with one another. You can do without mixing the shadows and create polished everyday looks and even a striking smoky eye look, but I love to dip my brush into two, sometimes even three (living dangerously) to create the desired depth and shade for accenting my eyes. As touched upon earlier, these matte eyeshadows blend surprisingly well! They also last a good while, no visible fading or creasing with eye primer. Furthermore, it turns out mattes are actually way more flattering on my hooded eyes than the shimmery shadows I've been lusting after all my life.

Also, this palette has been quite useful for filling in my brows when I'm feeling up to it. I mix Faint with a touch of Crave to deepen my brows and it looks quite natural if I do say so myself.

As much as I secretly wish Urban Decay had expanded this palette into a 12-shadow one with a brush, like the other Nakeds, the reduced size makes it perfect for travel and oh-so-helpfully dumbs down your options so it is indeed "basic" and very user-friendly. The slightly rubberized plastic case feels nice and sturdy in my hands, although it does tend to attract dusty fingerprints if you're not careful.

In closing, I LOVE this palette and would gladly repurchase should I ever need to.

on 1/25/2014 11:30:00 PM

During the Holidays, everyone in my beauty inner circle wanted to know if I planned on purchasing the new Naked3 palette with my Christmas money. I really gave this a lot of thought, but I decided not to for a couple of reasons. The first being that I already have similar rosy gold neutral shimmer shades in other brands. What I really needed were some basic matte neutrals, something my collection of shadows was severely lacking. So, I went to Ulta and they had up at the registers the Naked Basics display. I bought it and fell in love instantly.

There are six shades in this palette: Venus (the only demi-matte in the palette), Foxy, W.O.S. (Walk of Shame), Naked2, Faint, and Crave. Foxy and W.O.S. are the only two shades in this palette that aren't Basics exclusives. This palette retails for $27 and, unlike its larger counterparts, it does not come with a brush or any of the Primer Potion samples.

Let's go over the pros and cons of this palette:

*PROS*
~The soft, buttery texture most of us have come to know and love from UD.
~Excellent color payoff.
~Little to no fallout. I know this isn't as much of an issue with mattes, but still. There is virtually no powder left behind after sweeping a brush across these.
~The compact is super sturdy, very sexy with a high quality generous size mirror inside and a cool rubberized outer case. It's also small enough to carry in your purse or makeup bag.
~For those who don't have it in their budget to purchase any of the full-size Naked palettes, this is a more affordable product while still getting the luxe quality of Urban Decay eye shadows.
~It's super versatile. If you had only a tube of mascara and a lipstick you could add this palette and create any look you could imagine. Crave can be used wet or dry as a liner color. Venus makes a gorgeous highlight. Naked2 or Faint can be used to color in eyebrows.
~I love that the names are printed under the pans.

*CONS*
~I found that with these, even when using a good primer on my lids, they require a light hand. They don't blend out as easily as their shimmery eyeshadows, so it's better to build up crease intensity.
~The three lightest shades are very similar in color. In fact, besides the slight shimmer to Venus, it's really hard to tell them apart when swatched.
~I wish it had come with a small brush. I wasn't expecting a Sigma quality, full-size, double-ended brush in this palette, but maybe a shorter application brush would have been a nice and convenient bonus.

on 1/21/2014 2:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I really like how this palette is all matte is accept one. I get use out of this palette everyday and the shade crave and the matte brown are really good as eyeliners. I wish the w.o.s shade and foxy shade were more pigmented. This palette is a must have for travel. The packaging is really sturdy. If you are new to makeup and want to invest in a high end palette this is a great option. I love this palette and really recommend it

on 1/16/2014 2:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I like my naked basics palette but find that I do not reach for it as often as my other palettes. None the less, this palette is ideal for travel because you can get any look from a very basic every day eye to an intense smokey eye for a night out.

All of the colors are very pigmented, smooth and blend well.

I am very fair, NW10, and I have to say that W.O.S and Foxy do not show up super bright on me. However, I do use all of the colors except for Foxy because it is a bit too yellow for my liking.

Venus = vanilla cream white, matte
Foxy = neutral yellow matte
W.O.S = neutral yellow matte
Naked 2 = taupe brown matte
Faint = warm chocolate brown matte
Crave = deep, dark brown/black with itty bitty sparkle, still matte on the skin

For UD makeup this palette is very well priced, i spent $27 for mine over a year ago and I have barely made a dent. I gave only 1 lippie for packaging because I find it very hard to open and it can easily ruin a good manicure. I gave 4 lippies overall because I do not like every single color. If I ran out I would probably buy it again because it is truly a decent collection of matte neutrals that is inexpensive and not bulky to carry around.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

The matte shades give the perfect natural look. Love this palette!

on 1/14/2014 7:39:00 PM

I love this palette. It is my everyday palette and it has such good natural colors. I love the creaminess of the shadows. They apply so easily! The packaging is great and protects it! I know people have complained about the smell, and it definitely smells interesting, but it doesn't bother me. The only way I smell it is when I put my face to close or something like that. I think it's pretty good price, saying that other Urban Decay singles are more than half of this. I will repurchase it (if I ever run out! I haven't even made a dent yet!)

I got this for Christmas and I absolutely love it!! It is great for everyday wear and travel. I use the black shade as eyeliner and just dip it in water and it goes on so smooth. The only problem I have is that foxy doesn't really show up on my skin because I am olive with yellow undertones but I use it more to blend with the other colors. Definitely an HG palette totally worth the price tag.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

i love this kit!! i was tempted to buy the full size Naked pallete, but I decided on this one because I felt these colors I'd use more. I usually don't wear a lot of eye shadow, and when I do, its either nudes or a smoky eye. this compact gives me everything I need for any look I go for. I use WOS (Walk of Shame) all over the lid, and Venus under the brow bones and on my lower lashes for my day to day look. I would repurchase this again, but I don't think I'll have to for quite some time as these are highly pigmented and will last a lonnnng time. in a perfect world it'd be a bit cheaper, but for higher end products, its actually on the affordable side, so I can't complain too much.

This is the only eyeshadow palette in my makeup bag, I can't even remember when I bought it, use it every day and it never fails! The only color I don't use is "Faint".

The color pigmentation, range of colors, staying/non-creasing power is tops!
I use WOS (walk of shame) mostly, then Foxy, Venus for inner eye, browbone brightening, and the darkest (Crave) to line my brows, prior to my Gimme Brow.

I would LOVE to just be able to purchase WOS, b/c I use that one the most, but I would def repurchase this short palette! Gets 5 Lippies for overall everything!

on 1/8/2014 4:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just got this in the mail and i already love it! My mother has the Naked 1 and it's nice but honestly I wouldn't use all the colors, so i decided to buy this one, plus I prefer matte. My only problem with this is that it is hard for me to open, I have to dig my nail into the lock thingy, but other than that I love the packaging and how soft it is.

Popular Palettes

Contour Kit
NAKED
The Nudes
NAKED3

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Simple Daily Makeup Tutorial (Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette) by Anna Boroshok

Top Rated Urban Decay Products