April 17, 2014 | 1865 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Core Collection

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2011 7:46:00 PM More reviews by kocoannie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Overall this set of brushes is pretty awesome!

Detailer Brush - it's intended use for concealer is ok, I actually use it for lipstick application and sometimes smudging out eyeliner.

Pointed Foundation Brush - It's a little time consuming & tricky getting a perfect application of foundation. I only use this for parts of applying foundation, mostly under the eye and to get around the nose. It is very handy though for applying concealer under the eye.

Buffing Brush - This is a multipurpose brush for flawless application of mineral powder and liquid foundation. It's also really great for creating a very natural blushed cheek powder or liquid.

Contour brush - Great for precision in applying bronzer or blush to your cheeks. I have sometimes used it for spot powdering my face.

All brushes are synthetic and are super easy to spot clean. They all hold any product nicely and you can use all brushes for powder or liquid. Even though I'm not using all the brushes for their intended use I am super stoked that I have found other uses for them!

The case that these brushes come in is very versatile! It's also great for protecting your brushes for travelling and super awesome for drying your brushes as well after a deep clean!

I love that these are affordable, available online for international buyers and that the creator has tutorials on all of the brushes - which is hugely assuring and encouraging!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2011 5:11:00 PM More reviews by vesperholly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Fantastic, very unique set! This is unlike any other brush set I've seen. Most have the standard powder, blush, concealer, eyeshadow and maybe liner. But after you've bought a few kits, who needs another "meh" eyeshadow brush?? This set is different because it fills in the gaps that other sets have left.

The concealer brush is extra tiny and is great for spot concealing. It's also short enough to sneak into a little makeup bag. The flat foundation brush is a little bit of an odd duck, but it's good for undereye concealing and blending foundation around the nose. The contour brush is really the star of the set, it's such an original size and shape. Great for contour, highlight, and cream blush. The buffer brush is fine, not a standout, but is good for blending blush/bronzer or spot powder application. It's a nice backup when my Sephora 45 mineral powder brush is dirty/drying. It's not very densely packed for a powder brush. The "brush holder" is a complete throw-away, not very good quality and a waste. Very weird and I hope it gets ditched on future revisions.

The price point is the best part - only $16! $4 a brush, and you can use Ulta coupons on it?! Can't beat it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2011 8:43:00 AM More reviews by HappyHooker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This set is worth it for the buffing brush alone. I regularly use the buffing brush, detail brush and contour (highlight) brush. Only the foundation brush (more like concealer IMO) gets little use. There is nothing wrong with it I just happen to own other brushes that are better suited to my needs. All in all a fantastic set for the price! A hit.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2011 3:28:00 AM More reviews by angelixia07

What an excellent set of brushes, I would say some of the best I've bought in the last few years and I usually enjoy Mac ones. All the brushes are made of this extraordinarily soft and fine taklon bristles, which are of course synthetic. I find the buffing brush to be excellent for buffing in both mineral and liquid foundation. I am prone to having spots of dry skin and my previous buffing brush sometimes would bring that up and make it look more obvious, but this buffing brush is so soft and fine that it just blends the powder/liquid in so well while minimally disrupting the dry skin underneath, giving a very nice finish.

The next most useful brush is the contour brush. The size of the brush is excellent, not to big or small to get into the contour of the cheeks and the jawline. It makes for precise yet natural contouring but it would take a bit more time than say a slightly larger brush, which I am on the hunt for. A larger brush would be good for days that I am lazy and want a bigger splay of contouring in the back of the cheeks but this RT one is best, due to its size, for a slightly more precise contouring.

At first, I hardly found use for the detailing brush but now I hardly want to be without it. It is very small, soft and pointed and perfect for smudging out eyeliner. I use it to smudge out my Mac Fluidline as well as other pencil liners. The softness means that it hardly drags on the eyelids, which I found really surprising since the various smudgers I used to use always dragged more than this one. Also, I sometimes use it to put on brow powder when I want a softer finish than with my Mac angle brush, the larger one. I would suspect that this would be perfect for spot concealing but I hardly ever do that so I mostly use it for smudging.

The only brush I have absolutely no use for is the pointed foundation brush. It is way too small for me to ever want to use it for foundation and on top of that, I've never liked putting on foundation with a flat brush of that sort. I have used it for undereye concealing with good result, but nothing I couldn't do with my fingers.

Three out of four definitely is not bad considering that with most brush sets, there are bound to be brushes that I won't use. I am just very pleased with the quality of the three that I do enjoy. I think the design is quite good as well although I wish they didn't make the handles so thick especially on the larger brushes, since it takes up more room in the glass jar where I keep them upright. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2011 12:39:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

Since it is not availble in Canada nor US. mail order I had to order from UK.
I absoslutely love the buffing & highlight brush, the man-made fibers are not overly dense, honestly I've tried some brushes that are so dense & that lose the "brush" quality, I might as well use a sponge to stipple. The white-tip also enables me to see how much product I've picked up.
The highlight brush is like a small version of Nars Yachiyo.
The paddle fdn brush: don't care much for it.
Finally the littlest one is a bit too stiff for concealer but is good to pick up eye-shadow or brow powder for shaping brows.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2011 2:11:00 PM More reviews by sushiiflower

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this set so much. I am thinking of purchasing a 2nd set. The hair is made of soft taklon. It applies incredibly well and works with all kinds of products, wet & dry. My favorite brush is the buffer brush. I have not come across anything that operates like this (or shaped like this!). In fact, I think all of these brushes are pretty unique. At first glance, these brushes don't seem like anything special. I honestly thought they were gimmicky. I picked them up anyway because I needed travel brushes. Plus, I wanted to see all the hoopla surrounding these. There were so many mixed reviews, either people loved it or hated it!

The foundation brush is small and compact and gets right into the nook and crannies of your face. It works with my MAC Studio Fix powder as well as any liquid foundations. The small detail brush is perfect for concealment of blemishes because it moves around the areas seamlessly. It also has a nice pointed tip for detailing. The contour blush has a small pointed round head that can double has a blush or highlight brush. I have used it for both. I think this would make an amazing foundation brush because it can get into small areas with the tip but because it has a rounded head, it can buff out foundation. And of course, my personal fav, the buffer brush. I use it this for everything! But especially for every day powder application.

I will definitely be picking up a second set of these brushes because I use them constantly. I originally paid $14 for the set at Ulta, but I see they have since raised the price to $17. For four brushes, that is still not bad at all! They have flat bases so you can stand them up, but the handles have a rubber grip that allow you to easily control the application. The color choice (orange) is eh, okay, not a color I would have chosen but it's not horrible. The travel case is nice and useful, though I wish it contained more slots to pack other brushes with it. It has a nice stand up feature which I appreciate. Overall, this is an excellent quality set and definitely rivals my high end brush collection. And picking up a second set is definitely a testament to the quality of these brushes. It's a great starter set and I am sure you will not have anything shaped like these in your collection, especially if you have an extensive one like mine!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2011 12:21:00 AM More reviews by staciarose22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This set just came back in stock at my local store. I called ahead to check and rushed over there--one was left! I'm not sure if they are low on stock, or if Ulta is just not distributing them fast enough. I know I've waited for weeks and weeks for mine to get any sets in, and the stippling brush as well as the blush brush are still sold out. I've had the Travel Essentials set for a few weeks, so my review on the quality of these is on that thread. I'll break down the Core Collection.

1. Contour brush: I bought the set for this brush alone, but the others are a nice plus. It's the perfect size for getting bronzer or contour shades right into your cheek socket. It blends well, and it's easy to wash/dry. All of these can be used with liquid, powder, or cream products. They also stay soft and keep their shape.

2. Pointed foundation brush: Some may think this is too small or rough. It's not. If a foundation brush is too soft then it won't evenly distribute some long wearing foundations. This gets it done fast. Then you can buff it out with the buffing brush.

3. Buffing brush: I use this for all over bronzer, contour, buffing foundation, blending powers etc etc. It's a good one!

4. Detailer brush: It's main purpose is for concealer, but the bristles are so flat and compact that it also works as a lip brush. You want a lip brush to keep it's shape and not bend too much. This does just that so you can get more detail and clean lines.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2011 5:54:00 PM More reviews by oonaghst

Awesome brush set that I really enjoy using. Use the contour brush for highlighting, the teeny tiny brush for concealing (would work for lips as well), the foundation brush for foundation (although small, is effective) and the buffing brush is really good for, er.., buffing! All-in-all a brilliant set for getting the perfect base. I want to use it and thoroughly enjoy using it, and my base looks all the better for it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2011 10:26:00 PM More reviews by BeeGee35

LOVEEE this set. The buffer brush is dense. it works wonderfully for mineral powder. The contouring(?) brush is small. I use it to set powder over any concealer. Works perfectly under my eye with powder. At first I was thrown by the pointed tiny foundation brush... but now I love it. I use this to apply concealer.. slap it on. hahah somedays I use just this brush with concealer and set with powder and call it a day. it blends quite well under eyes too. I think the last brush it the concealer brush. great for blemishes and small areas for more precision control. no shedding. cleans easily. wonderful value. i've had this set and the blush brush for several months. i reach for these over my MAC brushes. I enjoy knowing they dont shed. They are all quite soft too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2011 12:32:00 PM More reviews by Phanatical28

I love this set! The foundation brushes are better than all my other brushes (like I've said in my other Real Techniques reviews - these brushes blow away every other brand I've tried, from EcoTools to Chanel). I like using the bigger, multitasking-type brush for bronzer, and the smallest one for detailing. For I believe $15USD, this is an absolute steal. I recommend this for everyone, from just starting to seasoned pro. I always have these in my kit!