October 30, 2014 | 1684 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Core Collection

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2012 11:25:00 AM More reviews by raggie92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This brush set is really a good investment if you want multiple brushes to work on different ways of application and get customised coverage.
Here's a little breakdown of what I think about each brush:

Buffing brush: Definitely the star of this brush set! Provides airbrushed and flawless finish for foundation. I actually prefer to stipple my foundation on with this brush instead of buffing it. I feel that stippling it on with this brush would spread the product more evenly then lightly buff it to blend. And it's really easy to clean.

Contour brush: Also another favorite of mine. I guess you can use this for foundation and application of base products. I use what it's meant for, contouring and some light blushing. I usually sweep on matte contouring powder along my hollows with this brush everyday, and a light touch of blush with the same brush. It blends the powders seamlessly and beautifully. Perhaps I will try this brush out with foundation application

Pointed Foundation Brush: I know everyone hates this brush, but I don't really mind the size because I have an idea on how to work on it. No, I don't use it to apply full face foundation because the brush size is ridiculously small to cover my face. I prefer my Essence of Beauty foundation brush for that. I use this brush mainly to build on coverage on the spots that the regular buffing brush misses, or for spot treating areas that need coverage. I also use this brush to blend out concealers because it is just slightly bigger than the regular concealer brushes so making it effortless to blend.

Detailer brush: The more versatile brush in this set. I don't really use it because I rarely use lip brushes or to use it as a concealer brush. I prefer my Ecotools concealer brush to apply concealer, but for really tiny spots, I will use this that the regular concealer brush misses. This brush is much better for defining your lips and applying lip products.

Overall, I like the brush set but not gonna repurchase because I think this is enough. Unless the brushes wear out.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2012 3:00:00 AM More reviews by derivedhope

These brushes are as amazing as samantha chapman. They apply everything beautifully, are super soft, the quality is to die for, they look gorgeous, and the price made me feel like I was stealing. I've had them for about 8 months and have yet to see a single hair fall out.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2012 4:39:00 PM More reviews by LittleRussianDoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this mainly for the buffing brush after hearing rave reviews and I wasn't disappointed. I use it with laura mercier mineral powder and it gives a wonderful finish. Its my go-to face brush now. I also love the contouring brush. Its the perfect size and shape. All the brushes are super soft and stay that way even after lots of washes. I use the foundation brush for concealer and the detailer brush just to tidy up any mistakes, but I get much more use out of the first 2 brushes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2012 2:11:00 PM More reviews by dizzielittlerascal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Another set where I had to buy the whole lot so I could get my hand on only two of the brushes. The foundation brush is only made for people with Barbie sized faces I take it - its so small! Better used for concealer, which I don't btw.
I love the buffing brush - I actually now use it for bronzer since I got the Face Expert brush. And the contour brush is ruddy brilliant! They are the only two brushes I use from this collection.

Again, the stand/case.......no use for. And I wish the handles weren't so chunky - I had to buy another pot to put them in!

Still, hats off to Sam Chapman for coming up with these, as its about time brushes were more budget concious!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2012 8:48:00 PM More reviews by xiufey88

My HG make up brushes! super soft, easy to clean. I am using the buffing brush everyday for my foundation. It blend like a dream, gives me almost airblush finish. I picked up all these brushes from Ulta, After I tried this set, I went back and brought all other brushes. There are few not avilable in the store. I will purchase them online from Ulta for sure!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2012 8:15:00 PM More reviews by One1Cherry

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I received this set two days ago and used it once. Surprisingly i loved it. I was extremely undecided about this set, as such is the last brushes I ordered of RT that I wanted. I was very impressed after the first use. Quite surprised the buffing brush worked this well with my BB cream. Spread evenly and quickly without tugging my skin. The bristles are the softest of synthetic brushes, they feel in between Sigma's F80 flat top/RT expert face brush (extremely dense, despite works well, I feel tugs and pulls my skin alittle) and duo fibre brushes (even more light and gentle, works very well too). I was comparing this brush with RT multi tasker brush from the travel set. I thought it was really similar but... this brush is slightly denser. Good for liquid foundation, and even for thicker consistency like the bb cream. I believe this would be good for powder foundation to buff into your skin. The multitasker has a rounder shape is good for setting powder and powder blush. I tried to use it with my BB cream, its a fail as its not dense enough and took alot of work trying to spread it out. In the end i gave up and switch brush. In my opinion they are very different.

I loved the contour brush for cream blush (I am a cream blush lover). Just the right size, not too big, so better control. Loved the rounded, tapered shape of the bristles.

The foundation brush i used with my collection 2000 concealer. Quite liked it. This is different from RT travel set's foundation brush. The latter is denser, the former is much less dense and more flexible. I prefer this one. The pointed bristles makes reaching corners easier. I don't like flat foundation/concealer brushes, always prefer to apply concealer with my fingers.

Haven't tried the detailer brush, don't think I have use for this but who knows.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2012 12:13:00 PM More reviews by magicdigger

Love these brushes,especially buffing and contour brushes. They feel so soft and buffing in liquid foundation with the Buffing Brush leaves my skin looking flawless. I use the foundation brush more for use with concealer. The pointy end is good for around the nose, and its flat so good for under the eye concealing too. The detail brush is good for spot concealing or could be used as a lip brush. I love them and am very happy with the price, quality and the finish they give me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2012 6:59:00 PM More reviews by makeupbylaura1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this brushes alot, I haven't been able to put them down since I got them. My favorite are The Contouring and the Buffing Brushes.
the Pointed Foundation Brush is too small for foundation application and to stiff in my opinion for concealer. The Detail Brush I use for eyeshadow detailing. I wish they sold each brush separately and I would definetly buy back ups for my favorite brushes. Overall these brushes are super soft and dense and do create a flawless application. I would reccomend these to a friend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2012 6:59:00 PM More reviews by christi4200

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love these brushes! I don't agree with some reviewers that this set has a bunch of great "dupes" tho. Just the opposite, in fact! I really don't want you guys to think you're getting a bunch of dupes if you buy these, because they truly are different than other brushes. I feel that what makes this set so great is exactly that-- they are unique and not duplicates (dupes) of anything! I own several MAC, Sigma, and Real Techniques brushes mainly. I own Sephora & Urban Decay brushes as well. (I also have many DS brushes, like Ecotools, e.l.f., Essence of Beauty, Revlon, etc). So, I have many other high end and low end brushes as a basis for comparison.

The contour brush is nothing like the MAC 109. I don't want people that don't know much about MAC brushes to be confused. It's not similar in application, blending style, shape, density, size, or texture. If you google it and look at pics of both, you'll see they're completely different. Also, the MAC 109 is natural hair, and these brushes are all synthetic fibres. Natural hair brushes apply product completely differently than synthetic hair. For one thing, natural hair tends to pick up much more product than synthetic hair, so synthetic is much better for highly pigmented blushes, such as NARS, or even Wet n Wild. This brush works fine for less pigmented blushes too tho. And cruelty free brushes are always a plus!

The buffing brush is also quite different than the Sigma F80 (which i also love) that it's been compared to alot. It's not nearly as dense, it's slightly softer as well. It will give u a similar finish I suppose, but a more sheer finish, and it also takes less product than with the F80, which soaks up alot more. The buffing brush gives you a phenomenal finish with liquid foundation, and it dries MUCH faster than the Sigma F80, which takes over a day to fully dry after deep cleansing it. I've seen several You Tube videos with people using the buffing brush for powder foundations, LM mineral powder and Bare Minerals, in particular, & it gave a fantastic finish.

These brushes are good for so many different purposes. For example, many reviewers have complained that the "foundation" brush that comes with this set is too small, but these brushes are so multi-purpose--if it doesn't work for foundation, use it for concealer, or a wash of cream or powder e/s all over the lid. There is a bigger foundation brush that comes with the Travel Set tho, if u like paddle style foundation brushes, & a larger angled one sold individually.You will be able to find numerous functions for each of them. I loved realtechniques.com for watching Sam (the creator of the line) demonstrate each of the brushes, and seeing the many different purposes of them. The detailer brush is also great for several things: lips, eyes, spot concealing, etc. I actually have all 3 RT brush sets, and several of their individual brushes, and they are all quite unique and unlike any other brushes I own. I love that Sam didn't try to copy off other brands, but actually designed brushes that are each unique in their own rite, including her eye brushes which I also adore.

I actually love my Real Techniques brushes as much as I love my MAC brushes. Are they as good as MAC brushes? That's like comparing apples and oranges to me, as my MAC brushes are just so utterly different. I do love both *equally* tho, as I said, and these don't shed like my MAC's. I also just got their 3 new brushes: the expert face brush (my new fav foundation brush), fine liner brush (Sam listened to the consumers about her other liner brush being too big, and designed a much smaller one), and setting brush (HG for highlighter!!), and those are fantastic too honestly.

I think it's really awesome that Sam didn't opt for designing a higher end brush line, or even a more expensive drug store line, which imo she easily could have, given her expertise and that she's highly respected in the industry. She made brushes that were easily affordable and accessible to everyone, online, or @ Ulta, Weis and Harris Teeter grocery stores, and Fred Meyer (according to the RT website). I feel that these brushes are great for beginners, or experienced makeup lovers and makeup artists. I am an aspiring makeup artist, and I find these phenomenal. If you are looking for inexpensive, but quality brushes, you can't do better than RT imho. Haha can u tell I'm excited about these brushes? LOL.

If you go to RealTechniques.com, they'll ship to anywhere in the U.S. with free shipping on $50 orders. Or you can order from iherb.com with free shipping on $20 orders, or ulta.com, who also offers free shipping on $25 orders. All the new brushes were sold out on the Ulta website the last time I tried to order from them, so I ended up ordering from iherb.com. I do have a coupon code that iherb.com gave me to share with others and it gives you $5 off your first order if you're a new customer: T I J 9 8 7. Just enter this code @ the checkout to save the $5. Iherb.com does take a bit longer than ulta.com tho, but nothing outrageous or anything, mine took about a week, and Ulta only took a few days.

I almost forgot to mention the case, which I love! Some people have said they don't like it, but u know what it's fantastic for? To dry your brushes upside down! You're always supposed to dry your makeup brushes upside down so that no water drips down into the ferrule, which over time will destroy the glue. But it's hard to stand ur brushes upside down w/out damaging them. You can easily stick your brushes in this stand upside down to dry them. Ok, I didn't intend on writing a book, I'm sorry this is so long. I just get really excited sometimes when I love a product! I'm sure u will love these brushes too :)

25 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2012 3:56:00 PM More reviews by MitchieCatalano

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this set! The contour brush is really similar to the MAC 109 but much softer, can also be used for foundation and it gives a beautiful finish. The buffing brush is an amazing dense brush great for buffing (kinda given) and it's a really good dupe for the sigma F 80! The pointed foundation brush is good for concealer or if you only like to apply foundation to specific areas! the little detailer brush is really good for spot concealing and lipstick! Overall this set has a ton of amazing dupes and is really, really worth the money!