April 17, 2014 | 898 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Olay - Professional Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2012 11:21:00 AM More reviews by IslandGirlSPN

I use this maybe once a week to give my skin a deeper cleaning. I use it with Aveeno Positively Ageless resurfacing scrub & or CVS brand Loreal Revitalift creamy cleanser knockoff. I get great results. My skin is soft, my makeup goes on better and the dry flakies are under control. I used this with their exfoliating renewal cleanser with similar granules to my favorite Aveeno PAR scrub BUT the formula for the Olay is really drying to my already dry skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2012 10:26:00 AM More reviews by csquared14

I used this product for about four months, until I got the Clarisonic for Christmas and switched over (I've been using the Clarisonic for about seven months now), so I'm in a pretty good position to compare the two.

The Olay Pro-X is not--repeat, not--a dupe of the Clarisonic. They're completely different technologies, and don't feel remotely similar on the face. Whereas the Clarisonic uses sonic technology and essentially vibrates on your face (if you have one of those sonic toothbrushes, it's like that), the Olay brush rotates. This means that it doesn't, if you believe the research behind the Clarisonic, loosen up all of the gunk that is really deep in your pores. The Olay brush should be used with exfoliating cleansers, whereas that's not necessary with the Clarisonic. The Clarisonic feels more substantial in your hand, is fully waterproof, and does leave your skin feeling softer--and, for the price difference, it should.

That said, the Olay brush is a good product. It's sturdy, holds up well, and cleans your face better than just soap and your hands. Using it with an exfoliating wash (I used both the St. Ives Green Tea Scrub and the Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit scrub with it) makes it work better and gives you results closer to what the Clarisonic does. My skin afterwards felt very clean and fresh--I definitely would not say that it did very much for my acne or dry spots, as some reviewers have found, but it did take off the remnants of my foundation and concealer pretty well. You should be gentle with it, as it can tug at the skin a little, but it definitely leaves your face feeling cleaner and smoother once you have used it. If you can't afford the Clarisonic, this is a decent other option--definitely better than nothing. The battery is really annoying to replace, but that's the only big gripe that I had. What Olay really needs to do is stop marketing this as the equal of the Clarisonic and start saying what it actually is--a good, classic brush cleaner that is more hygienic than a washcloth and more effective than your cleansers used on their own.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2012 5:56:00 AM More reviews by cksa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

So, I've been using this for about seven weeks or just under two months on my face. Oh wait, EXPOSITION TIME! Skip the next paragraph if you don't want to hear about my First World Problems!

I have had oily, problematic, acne-prone facial skin ever since I was 14 years old. My skin has always been in some stage of breaking out, whether it was new zits, dying zits, or scars. I break out from hormones; I also can break out from any number of topical things, the most common culprits for me being silica and dimethicone (which, as you can imagine, has left me completely unable to use any kind of traditional oil control product or primers--but if you have my problems with those ingredients, give silk powder and/or kaolin a try!). I have learned to be very picky about what I put on my skin. The only thing I count myself lucky for when it comes to my skin is that it's very resilient and rarely pits. Well, I had an extremely bad breakout last August. I had been trying to save money by using (unused) toilet seat covers and paper towels to blot up my excess oil. It worked for about a week, and then my skin went haywire and it took me forever to figure out that it was the oil blotting doing it, because it was just so counterintuitive--I was REMOVING oil, why was I breaking out more? Haha, I was kind of stressed at the time and I don't think my brain was working totally right, but that's how it was! The oil blot breakout pattern was pretty much the same as my last bad breakout (from silica)--I broke out everywhere on my face; nothing could cover it up except heavy foundations that would break me out more. I had everything from whiteheads to blackheads to pustules. It hurt to touch my face sometimes and even to smile, and I basically looked like I had the nastiest rash in the world. It took a year and a half for my skin to recover from the silica breakout...and then, while I was confident in my skin (still minor break outs, but otherwise happily behaving), I did the oil blotting stuff and it happened again. Add to that a very stressful past year, and basically I was looking forward, with an Eeyore sigh, to another year and a half of careful and patient care of my marked, recovering face.

Nastiness over. Anyway, in April and about 7 months into my healing process, with my skin no longer breaking out uncontrollably but still mottled with hyperpigmentation, I happened to see a sale plus a coupon for the Olay Pro-X Cleansing System on Amazon. I hemmed and hawed and did some research and came to the conclusion that, with that kind of sale, it was worth a shot--I wasn't expecting a Clarisonic, but I had hopes that it would help my scars/marks and maybe help my continuing hormonal breakouts heal faster.

When the package landed in my hands mid-April 2012, I began using it immediately, foregoing the free sample-sized cleanser for my (godsend) usual cleanser, One Hand Washes the Other's Black Magic soap. Installation and getting started was a snap--there are instructions on the outside of the box to tell you how to open the device to put batteries in, and once I got my grip right, it was easy. I decided to use it in my shower because that way if the brushhead flung soap about in its cleansing efforts, it was easily washed away. I started out using it every single day, eager to see results immediately. As it turned out, this was the wrong thing to do for my skin--the first few days I would look into the mirror and think that I saw definite improvement, but about a week into the daily routine, I saw definite signs of irritation in the form of red, raised bumps. I cut back to two times a week immediately, and then gradually increased it to every-other-day use. Then, because I am (a) lazy and (b) lacking time, I replaced my twice-weekly aspirin mask exfoliating routine with a minute in the shower every other day with the Pro-X.

Today, almost two months after I first started using the Pro-X, I realized that my skin is back to its pre-breakout state. The scars from that breakout last July are pretty much gone. My skin feels more even than I remember it being in a very long time. It also looks way more even overall. Sure, the improvement could be due to any combination of a number of things, but to see my skin improve this quickly after such a bad breakout is a huge relief to me and I think the Pro-X made a difference. Plus, I get like one hormonal zit per month, and it clears up quickly with a brief "massage" with the Pro-X. All in all, I am very, very happy that I found the Pro-X! I don't have pictures, but the results are worth a thousand words to me. My skin still is the usual oil field that it always has been, but I'll take clear oily skin over acne-ridden oily skin any day!

Will the Pro-X work for you? I think that if you struggle with acne like I do and can't afford a Clarisonic, you might want to look into the Pro-X to replace your exfoliation step in your normal skincare routine. It does not use the same technology as a Clarisonic (all it does is vibrate (...) on two different speed settings), but it is a great exfoliator with appropriate use. If you have very delicate skin, I would approach the Pro-X very cautiously because it's essential physically exfoliating your skin much in the same way an electric toothbrush brushes your teeth for you--it's more efficient, but it's still exfoliating nonetheless. Do no more than gently "glide" the brush on the slower speed setting over your skin for no longer than a minute per use (I go 20 seconds on T-zone, 10 on lip/chin area, 15 per cheek/temple). YMMV, but I would start out using it only once a day, every other day, at most. Currently I use it every three days. I hope the review helps, and I hope you also get good results if you try it out!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2012 5:51:00 PM More reviews by OvaryUp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

This little brush is, without a doubt, my ultimate "desert island" item! This, along with Philosophy's Purity and Hope in a Jar, has restored my skin. In high school, I had flawless skin. After the stress, poor eating, and everything else that went along with seven years of college, my skin had changed for the worst. I had used the manual face brushes from Sallys and had seen some improvement. But as soon as I received this for Christmas, my skin began to improve even more. I've been using it for five months now, and my skin is completely different. My only complaint is that I notice it starts running slower after even the first use with new batteries. It still gets the job done, though.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2012 8:42:00 PM More reviews by BadWaitress

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

You want to know about my skin? I'll tell you. It's dry. It's always been dry; it was dry when I was a teenager. I will be forty this year and now it ranges from merely uncomfortably dry (as in it feels like my face is going to crack when I smile) to dry enough to flake. I like to call it "face dandruff."

I had an exceptionally flakey late winter and early spring, and nothing sufficed to get the dead skin off of my face. So I had two problems: dryness and exfoliation. Washcloths made it worse. AHAs and BHAs didn't help; retinol failed me. I remembered my mother having a "complexion brush" when I was little, so I saw this and decided to buy it. (The Clarisonic struck me as laughably expensive.)

I love it. I just love it. No more flakes. And my skin is less dry. I have a theory about that. You know how skin care experts are always saying that you can make your skin overproduce oil if you clean it too vigorously? Well, I think that if you clean just vigorously enough you can stimulate more oil production, to your benefit, if your skin happens to be overdry. Now my skin seems to be almost normal. And it's PERFECT. I haven't had a zit since I've been using this brush.

I use it with CeraVe hydrating cleanser, and it's better to use it in the shower after your face has had some time to steam. Do not press hard and or make repeated passes over the same area: two passes is plenty. I don't use it on my nose, the one area of my face that has enough oil already and that got over-oily when I started using the brush, though it's better now. Don't use it more than once a day. Make sure the head gets to dry out between uses. Enjoy.
Edit: I had a facial recently during which the aesthetician used a Clairsonic brush on my face. It felt very different. The Clairsonic was much rougher and scratchier, and I could feel that the motion of the machine was different. So now I have experience with both, and I can honestly say that I prefer the Olay brush. It's much softer.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/29/2012 10:43:00 PM More reviews by ShannonRose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

Is it just me or does a good washcloth ( with cleanser, of course ) clean better than these new fangled gadgets? I wanted to like this brush, but it didn't clean my face too well. It always leaves makeup residue behind. When I use it, I see soap flying everywhere, on my bathroom mirror, the walls etc.and I feel like I'm wasting product. I never get a good lather. It's ok sometimes, I guess for some sort of exfoliation, or, like another reviewer said, to aid in mask removal, but not as part of my regular routine. I'm just not impressed with how my skin looks and feels afterward. My face glows more when I use an old fashioned washcloth, I'm serious! Also, the little brushhead falls off a lot, kind of annoying.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2012 11:35:00 AM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE this little tool! My skin: Very fair, sensitive, acne-prone, oily and very allergy-prone. I use this every night and actually look forward to it. It feels amazing and never causes my very sensitive skin any discomfort or irritation. I use it with my Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (liquid) and the combo is absolutely perfect. The Cetaphil provides just enough cushion, but allows the bristles to deep clean. I also LOVE that it's battery-powered. No charging and no worrying about the charger component getting wet.

Now, I'm going to compare this little gadget to the Pretika Sonic Dermabrasion brush and the Clarisonic Mia brush. I've had both and would like to share my thoughts on the differences. The first I purchased was the Pretika Sonic Dermabrasion. It comes with a charger base and extra brush heads, plus their customer service was excellent. The brush itself was fantastic and gentle, but the unit broke VERY easily. I called the company and they replaced it at no cost, but that one broke shortly after receiving it as well. The problem was, if the bottom of the unit (that sits on the charger) gets wet AT ALL, the whole unit malfunctions and just stops...permanently. VERY inconvenient. It was around the same cost as the Olay, but I wouldn't repurchase it unless they came out with a battery-powered model or upgraded their charging system.

After my disappointment with the Pretika, I purchased a Clarisonic Mia. It is very similar to the Pretika, but much more expensive. The charging system is similar, but the Clarisonic won't break if exposed to water. It also holds a charge for a long time. The problem with this one is that it is SO strong and aggressive on your skin. As stated before, my skin is sensitive and this thing just tore me up! I purchased the gentlest (Delicate) brush head when I purchased the unit, but returned both after only a month. With each use, my skin became more and more irritated and raw.

So, all in all, I highly recommend the Olay Professional Pro-X Advanced Cleansing tool over the other two I've tried. At only around $30, it's a steal and is very effective at deep cleansing and making your skin feel wonderful and clean. My skin has even cleared up completely since beginning to use this 3 weeks ago. Great deal and convenient to use!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/17/2012 4:37:00 PM More reviews by peacefuldusk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used it for about a month and developed broken capillaries all over especially on my cheeks. I had used the supplied cleanser and Neutrogena makeup removing cleanser with it. I have really fair skin but it is not sensitive, it is used to getting a lot of treatments because I used to have acne, when I wash my face normally I really scrub it.

Be careful, my broken caps have faded in some places slightly, but they are permanent without laser treatment. If you look up broken caps on the net you will see this has happened to a lot of people with the Olay and the Clarisonics. There is no way to know if this will happen to you and if it does it is too late.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2012 5:26:00 AM More reviews by ivyn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I was keen on getting a cleansing brush from all the raves. It was too expensive to get a clarisonic incase it didn't work on me. So I gave Olay a try and turns out really good.

I've use this every night with my Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser for the last 5 months. I've found the pores around my nose area are less clogged. I had no pimples/ acne ever since I've used the brush. Previously, I get occasionally spots. So this really cleans out my skin. My skin texture is alot smoother and brighter.

People are around me are complementing how good my skin and asking me the secret behind it. Highly recommend to everyone including those with sensitive skin like myself.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/12/2012 12:52:00 PM More reviews by Yishabeila

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I overdid it on my first use. I used a very foaming, vitamin C-based cleanser, and operated it for probably way too long, while trying out the two speeds. Result: I had to spend the next morning wearing petroleum jelly all over my face coz my skin was so dry, it hurt.

During that one use, I thought it actually pulled at my skin, especially near the eyes. Again, maybe it was my fault for applying too much pressure.

I immediately gave it to my mum. I warned her to be careful with it. I think she likes it.

Like other reviewers, I had the hardest time trying to open the battery compartment. It took the man in the house (helped by his manly pride)...