April 20, 2014 | 1637 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Oil-Free Acne Wash

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2012 8:39:00 PM More reviews by baebee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Works wonderful for me personally. I was recommended this by my dermatologist for acne.

I wouldn't recommend using this everyday twice a day. possibly every night or every other night as it might dry out your skin. i would use a more gentle wash in between.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2012 8:23:00 PM More reviews by mlq490

Why so much hate for this? It's not the cleanser's fault that your skin is getting dried up, it's the salicylic acid. I started using salicylic acid in a very low concentration in a moisturizer. And yes, my skin got super dry and flaky and red and all that. Then I realized you have to start using salicylic acid, or any acne medication for that matter, infrequently. If you immediately start using it once a day or twice a day when your skin isn't used to it... your face will dry up. You have to start at like once every other day then go to how often you're willing to use the product (for me, twice a day). But anyway, does this cleanser work? For me, it definitely did. Using it regularly all but cleared up my acne, but in conjunction with a moisturizer and acne spot treatment. However, I noticed when I put this cleanser in my skin care routine it really made a difference, instead of whatever lame cleanser I used before.
Bottom line: this rocks. I would really recommend it, but be careful of how often you start using it, and don't forget to moisturize after using this!
Also, FYI, the Walmart/CVS/whatever cleanser that say "compare to this cleanser" work just as well, as I found out, but are cheaper. So I've since stopped using this particular product, but it's the original and the first one I tried so I might as well review this one.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2012 3:09:00 PM More reviews by Luscious1104

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like to use this as a morning cleanser but not to treat acne. Def not an acne treater but I like that it leaves my skin super clean.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2012 1:13:00 PM More reviews by stephanieee

this is what my dermatologist said to get the first time i saw her when i was about 12. i've probably used about 100 different cleansers since then but recently i found myself using this again. first off, i have combo skin but for some reason i always have at least 1 disastrous pimple. the kind you can't look away from if you're having a conversation with somebody. i also deal with a lot of clogged pores probably due to wearing foundation. i've been using this with my clarisonic and so far, i've been getting good results. my face is definitely clearer, smoother, fewer clogged pores, and clearing up blackheads as well. after using any cleanser or even just splashing water on my face my face will get dry if i don't use a moisturizer immediately. this cleanser will especially dry my skin which i expected so i just follow up with a heavier moisturizer and it seems to keep things pretty balanced. so i'd say if you had good results with this but it leaves your face feeling dry and uncomfortable, use a thicker moisturizer (i use embryolisse) or something like the cetaphil cream

rated 3 of 5 on 3/20/2012 6:43:00 PM More reviews by asdfghjklnicah

This product does remove oil and dirt and most of my blackheads and whiteheads have disappeared. However, this left my skin very dry and flaky. Considering I have very sensitive skin, I thought this was just my skin being my skin so I kept using it. I found out the hard way that this product is what is making my skin extremely flaky and dry. I love how this product cleans all the dirt, but really hate how this leaves my skin dry and flaky. I think I'll try the cream version of this product. We'll see.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/10/2012 8:12:00 PM More reviews by suavesusie

In simple words, no face cleanser should EVER dry out your skin to the point where it gets itchy, that's just absurd. This happened to me, my chin and neck were itchy AND red AND flaky. I thought it might have been something else so I stopped using it and returned to using it within a week, same thing happened. Now I use it as a hand soap.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2012 4:00:00 AM More reviews by callmecatrina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Please please please patch test this product on your skin before you use it on your face. I would not recommend this product unless you have extremely oily non-sensitive skin. Like a lot of the other reviewers, I found this out the hard way.

I bought this cleanser because I suffer from breakouts on my chin and cheek area and thought it would assist in keeping them at bay. (I have combination Asian skin as a reference).

I used the product twice on Wednesday and by Thursday I started noticing the skin around my nose was feeling dry and irritated. I shrugged it off, thinking that it was the salicylic acid doing it's job but stopped using it just in case it would dry out my skin further. On Friday morning I woke up to find I had 30+ pus-filled pimples all over my chin, my skin was EXTREMELY dry, I had a rash on both of my cheeks and to make matters worse I was going on holiday overseas the next day. It took a visit to the doctor's and three prescription medicines to finally put this at bay. My doctor gasped when she saw my face - that's how bad it was!!

I have never reacted to any skin products before and do not consider myself to have sensitive skin. My partner who has oily skin has used this product before and it worked fine on him. This product has definitely taught me a lesson to patch test skin products before using them on my face.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/19/2012 1:11:00 PM More reviews by christinaMF

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

For the past year, I have noticed I have been getting more pimples and breakouts. I normally do not use actual acne cleansers, just simple cleaning ones- that was all i needed. I heard neutrogena was a good brand, especially for acne, so I decided to give this a try.

I have gone through one bottle and finishing my second one to see if my skin needed to get used to this different formula and such, but it has done nothing for me. I see absolutely no difference in my acne- it is still there, pimples never disappear after weeks, even! I was really disapponted.

The only good thing about it is that it really feels like your face is clean- my skin would even shine, dont think thats good though..

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2012 More reviews by hesperia

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Well, this proves once again that one man's food is another man's poison. I always keep a travel size of this at hand because my skin likes to aggravate me and it breaks out sometimes.

I had one such case a week ago, when another cleanser (a HE brand) broke me out in annoying little pimples on both cheeks. I returned that cleanser and used this one together with my Sephora face brush ($3; poor man's Clairsonic; works just as well). After a week of twice a day cleaning with this the odious pimples were gone. I am back to clear face again.

My regular cleanser is Clean & Clear Morning Burst. They were out of that at my Walgreens so I bought the Morning Burst Skin Brightening one. I love both. I love their invigorating scent, and the fact that they clean my skin deeply w/o over-drying it.

But I will keep the Neutrogena one for emergencies.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2012 10:52:00 PM More reviews by ChristinaMarieT

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This face wash is just disappointment in a bottle. It dried my skin out (thankfully, not as much as it possibly could have), it's harsh, it doesn't feel like it does anything, and as far as acne goes, it did absolutely nothing for my breakouts. Don't waste your money on this.