October 1, 2014 | 1830 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2004 7:01:00 AM More reviews by Stardom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I really dont like this cream!! It leave my face greasy even I am very dry skin type :(
Fortunately it was a sample i got before going to purchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/21/2004 1:18:00 PM More reviews by Shanrae

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got this as a sample and I was excited to try it. I washed my face, put on the product and thought "okay, we'll see how it works" and went to bed. As I was crawling into bed I wondered if my husband had gas or if I'd forgotten to change the diaper pail. I smelled my fingers and realized "Ewww!" it was the product. On top of that, my skin looked and felt no different than if I'd done nothing. I was surprised to have such a bad product from Philosophy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2004 4:14:00 PM More reviews by Arie

I hesitated to try this at first. After pondering, I decided to get it. I got this one in a Starter kit.
I have to admit I love this moisturizer so much. It seems to suck up all the oil my T zone and give me the sheen all over my face. it doesn't overly oily. I just love my skin after applying this on. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2004 3:10:00 PM More reviews by Clearing

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm in total agreement with Joanne on this one. I could have written her review because we seem to have the same skin type, and we had exactly the same reaction to this cream. I think it smells like a soured product, possibly dairy...sour cream gone bad. Buttermilk turning rancid? And then my face broke out too, and I don't usually have break outs. It most certainly does not make my skin look "make up optional" and there is no rosey glow from using these products (I have "purity made simple" and the eye lip cream too...I like the eye/lip cream. It has no odor and is nice and thick.). I should probably post "Hopeless in a Jar" as a swap item soon.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/17/2004 1:51:00 PM More reviews by joanne21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really, really, really wanted to like this. I have normal skin--its pretty tough---not sensitive, not prone to breakouts, not oily, not dry. I have been searching for a good, solid, moderately priced moisturizer, and was "hoping" that Hope In A Jar would be it. Pros: it's very moderately priced; I got a 1oz jar packaged with an 8oz. Purity cleanser plus samples of The Great One for only $24. It also has a really nice texture--almost whipped, and seems to sink right in. Cons: It stinks. Literally. Others have compared it to pet urine; for me it smelled like a very strong chemical-herbal mixture. So strong, in fact, that the fumes actually made my eyes water every time I applied it. I could almost live with that, except it caused me to break out within a week of starting to use it. As soon as I discontinued using it, my face cleared right up. Additionally, it comes in a jar, which forces the extra step of using a clean Q-tip each time to dip out the product, lest you contaminate this with your fingers. Oh, and did I mention the lousy Philosophy CS? I sent them 2 emails detailing the problems I had, along with questions about this product---and no response, not even an automated one. Skip this and save your $$!!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2004 10:24:00 AM More reviews by rossjen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

A sample of this was my first venture into this line, and I don't want to continue. A shame too, since this is probably the best cream that I have ever put on my face. I have never seen such instant results with anything before, my face was instantly brighter. But the horrible smell was enough to turn me away from it for good. This smells like rotting perm solution, and it stays around until you wash it off. So absolutely vile, it literally made me feel sick. I just could not take it, no matter what the results were. I'm glad I didn't purchase it.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2004 11:44:00 AM More reviews by treedee23

This is one of the worst things I've ever put on my face. It was slimey and took forever to absorb into my skin. Then it left the worst smell of all time. Blech.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2004 12:37:00 AM More reviews by riapot

Okay, the smell aside (and personally, I don't mind it) - this is really good stuff. After my skin goes through a hard day, i apply this at night and the next morning i have radiant, elastic, cushy skin! It doesn't feel heavy on, either, which is weird because you'd think a cream that makes the skin look and feel so lovely would have to be thick. One warning - keep away from your eyes. No one else really seems to complain about this, but if I get it anywhere near my eyes it really stings! Other than that - this is really a wonderful product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2004 4:06:00 PM More reviews by clembert

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Wow! Philosophy is my new favorite skin care line. After seeing Christina (the owner/creator)coutless times on QVC and getting turned off by her "holier-than-thou" attitude, I decided to see what all of her fuss was about. I am *so* glad I did! I thought this product might be too light-weight for my normally dry skin, but it was just right. It moisturized without feeling overly heavy on my face. It also sinks right into the skin and a little tiny bit goes a LONG WAY!!! Used in conjunction with other Philosophy products, I have witnessed an enormous improvement in my skin, and so have my friends and family. I highly recommend this whole line to others!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/30/2004 2:53:00 AM More reviews by darkmuffet

I purchased this based on the companies claims that this was basically a miracle in a jar. The packaging states that it is for all skin types. I have combination(oily T-zone, dry face), blemish prone skin. I really did not want another moisturizer with salicylic acid though. There is lavender oil in it which can be an irritant to some skin and mine apparently falls into this category. It is entirely too thick too be used on my T-zone and really just seems to sit on the dry ares of my face. It does work better than some low end brands so I have kept it as a winter night cream. This is probably a good moisturizer for drier skin types. The cost seemed high compared to the performance. I am still looking for my HG moisturizer.