July 24, 2014 | 1304 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2004 9:09:00 AM More reviews by tasty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this product. Since receiving it for Christmas, it has become my staple moisturizer. I use it in conjunction with Philosophy's Purity cleanser and my self is virtually flawless. It is veyr thick and after I'm done using it, my skin feel like it has taken a huge gulp of water.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2004 1:41:00 AM More reviews by bunny207

Philosophy's skin care products are truly disappointing (although I love their body care). First, this has lactic acid and AHA's. This was very gentle though. The texture of this cream is like a light soufle. I have dry skin and this didn't moisturize enough. Also, this has a noticable medicine scent that I couldn't stand. I'll stick to my Darphin Arovita C cream!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2004 7:33:00 AM More reviews by beauty_junky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am using this over Help Me and my skin is looking pretty good. Poors look a bit smaller. I have dry skin so I also bought the hydrate kit which includes the dry sensitive skin moisturizer by philosophy and I find that when I use that one my poors look bigger and I feel like I have thick cream on my face. This one does the job better its just right. Two thumbs up.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2004 7:49:00 PM More reviews by Jinhee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

O.K. got this disappointing moisturizer along with the purity cleanser. What is it with the smell? can't stand it! and where is the glow that was promised?
the texture is that of whipped cream, and just like glob of fat, it just lays there, i mean i could REALLY feel it on my face and it wasn't a nice sensation--i just had to go wash it off. I had high expectations with this "pharmaceutical" line, but alas, my skin hates it.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2004 7:01:00 AM More reviews by Stardom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I really dont like this cream!! It leave my face greasy even I am very dry skin type :(
Fortunately it was a sample i got before going to purchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/21/2004 1:18:00 PM More reviews by Shanrae

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got this as a sample and I was excited to try it. I washed my face, put on the product and thought "okay, we'll see how it works" and went to bed. As I was crawling into bed I wondered if my husband had gas or if I'd forgotten to change the diaper pail. I smelled my fingers and realized "Ewww!" it was the product. On top of that, my skin looked and felt no different than if I'd done nothing. I was surprised to have such a bad product from Philosophy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2004 4:14:00 PM More reviews by Arie

I hesitated to try this at first. After pondering, I decided to get it. I got this one in a Starter kit.
I have to admit I love this moisturizer so much. It seems to suck up all the oil my T zone and give me the sheen all over my face. it doesn't overly oily. I just love my skin after applying this on. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2004 3:10:00 PM More reviews by Clearing

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm in total agreement with Joanne on this one. I could have written her review because we seem to have the same skin type, and we had exactly the same reaction to this cream. I think it smells like a soured product, possibly dairy...sour cream gone bad. Buttermilk turning rancid? And then my face broke out too, and I don't usually have break outs. It most certainly does not make my skin look "make up optional" and there is no rosey glow from using these products (I have "purity made simple" and the eye lip cream too...I like the eye/lip cream. It has no odor and is nice and thick.). I should probably post "Hopeless in a Jar" as a swap item soon.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/17/2004 1:51:00 PM More reviews by joanne21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really, really, really wanted to like this. I have normal skin--its pretty tough---not sensitive, not prone to breakouts, not oily, not dry. I have been searching for a good, solid, moderately priced moisturizer, and was "hoping" that Hope In A Jar would be it. Pros: it's very moderately priced; I got a 1oz jar packaged with an 8oz. Purity cleanser plus samples of The Great One for only $24. It also has a really nice texture--almost whipped, and seems to sink right in. Cons: It stinks. Literally. Others have compared it to pet urine; for me it smelled like a very strong chemical-herbal mixture. So strong, in fact, that the fumes actually made my eyes water every time I applied it. I could almost live with that, except it caused me to break out within a week of starting to use it. As soon as I discontinued using it, my face cleared right up. Additionally, it comes in a jar, which forces the extra step of using a clean Q-tip each time to dip out the product, lest you contaminate this with your fingers. Oh, and did I mention the lousy Philosophy CS? I sent them 2 emails detailing the problems I had, along with questions about this product---and no response, not even an automated one. Skip this and save your $$!!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2004 10:24:00 AM More reviews by rossjen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

A sample of this was my first venture into this line, and I don't want to continue. A shame too, since this is probably the best cream that I have ever put on my face. I have never seen such instant results with anything before, my face was instantly brighter. But the horrible smell was enough to turn me away from it for good. This smells like rotting perm solution, and it stays around until you wash it off. So absolutely vile, it literally made me feel sick. I just could not take it, no matter what the results were. I'm glad I didn't purchase it.