Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

2.8

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 9/26/2004 1:45:00 PM

i *LOVE* philosophy! this moisturizer is amazing!.. just a little bit goes a long way. it makes my skin feel so hydrated and clean, totally not greasy or weighed down by oily products. a MUST for people with normal to dry skin! catch philosophy on qvc.

on 9/20/2004 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Lost lippies because it's in a jar and expensive. Lot's of lippies because it is so hydrating and I love the smell! $35 Sephora.com or Nordstrom.

on 9/20/2004 4:53:00 AM

I keep coming back to this moisturizer, no matter what. I like this moisturizer, doesn't break me out and keeps my skin smooth and soft. Took off a lippie for the smell and the price. Smells really medicinal to me - but I got used to it over time. The price is ok, a little steep for my taste ($35) but not too bad when compared to some other moisturizers out there! (CDLM, i'm lookin at you!) Anyway, I would recommend this moisturizer, it has a nice smooth, mousse-whipped texture that's not too heavy for oily skin and is perfect for my combination, acne-prone skin. This may not be good for very dry or sensitive skin, because of the lactic acid. I've found that many natural ingredients tend to be a huge factor in breakouts so just watch out for the lactic acid. Otherwise, this is a great moisturizer, does the job well!

on 9/19/2004 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I really hate buying skincare crap, because it's usually expensive and boring. Unfortunately I like this though =P so I will probably keep buying it, it's a great moisturizer, it doesn't break me out (HUGE plus there), and it's not too greasy.

on 9/13/2004 2:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I have never used Philosphy before, and after watching "A day of beauty" on QVC(or was it HSN..) I had to try it. Yes, when you first open the jar, you expect the moisturizing cream to be a cream, not some fluffy half deflated mousse. But after using it for about 3 months now, I have to admit, my skin has improved. Not that I had horrible skin to begin with, it just needed a "boost". I used all the expensive creams from Lancome, Estee Lauder, Clinique, Elizabeth Arden and found out it actually made my skin worse! So all that money wasted--I decided to try out Philosophy. I have to say, I am really impressed. I will continue to use it until my skin tells me not to.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

i've been using hope in a jar for a few days now, and although it is definitely an odd moisturizer, i rather like it. i like how it melts into my skin, and it doesnt seem to be breaking out my acne-prone-combo skin (yet). i'll probably update on this, but for now, i like it. i am using it under my philosophy 'the present' clear makup, and using my aveda powder foundation in dual aster on top. i used it last night before bed, and when i woke up, my skin felt soft and WONDERFUL. i am still not sure as to whether i will use this during the day, or only at night. either way, it seems okay so far. as far as 'the smell' goes, it does not bother me at all. it is a TINY bit mediciney-smelling, but nothing too intense or distinctive. i guess some girls have more sensitive noses than i do...or maybe the smell permeates my senses so quickly that i can no longer smell it. anyway, i'll update in a week or so, probably. i'll be impressed if it helps to heal my acne and their corresponding scars.... *********UPDATE*********this stuff is not as hot as i had initially thought...i think it was making me break out a bit, but i'm not sure....the breakouts were probably caused by the crappy drugstore makeup i was sampling. oops! either way, although i loved how it sank completely into my skin, the moisture didn't last, and the skin around my eyes and cheeks kept feeling dry and tight about 30 mins later. it might be nicer in warmer weather --- if the damn stuff had sunscreen! i've returned to my SkinMilk moisturizer for the winter months, and i guess i'll be back to my olay complete in the summer.... continued >>

on 9/4/2004 11:58:00 AM

I used a few samples (received with a Sephora order) during the Holidays season, when my skin is really dull - this is mostly due to major lack of sleep & partying most of the time... hehe! And I never had such a glowing skin in that time of the year. Surprising!

The smell didn't bother me that much since I had such a great skin. It's not a pleasing scent but it doesn't last that long. The product didn't seem to aggravate my acne at all. I was happy with the results, at first.

Then I bought it with a package including a few Philosophy products. I used it for a while. After a couple of months, my skin didn't seem to look as it looked the first weeks I've used Hope in a Jar. At this point I even was a bit disappointed since it seemed to make me breakout a bit, and my skin was dull again. I think it was great during the very cold winter months, when my skin is dehydrated & drier. But as the weather begins to be milder, this moisturizer is way too rich for my combo skin.

I'm not sure if I would buy it again. I don't think it's for my skin type. continued >>

on 9/4/2004 9:26:00 AM

I liked this moisturizer, it left my skin feeling soft and smooth the next day, even in the winter, when my skin tends to get dry. I took one lippie off for the smell, but after a while you get used to it. The texture was a little like runny mousse. . but it absorbed quickly and i only needed a little for my whole face.

(I bought this last week so I have only been using it for a few days now so I'll post another review in about a month.)

This moisturizer seems pretty nice so far. It keeps my skin soft and it so far it is still clear. I have very acne prone skin that breaks out from most moisturizers.

I do notice the smell the other posters talk about, but it isn't something that bothers me. I don't even really think of it and probably wouldn't have thought about it had I not read all of the reviews before buying this. I definitely recommend it at the moment, but if it changes then I'll post.

on 9/1/2004 11:05:00 PM

my sample of hope in a jar was disappointing. it moisturizes for a couple hours, but the smell is horrible. it may be the lactic acid. i can't stand the smell.. will go back to my other moisturizer.