Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

2.8

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 8/24/2004 9:05:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Thank you, Hope in Jar for the worst breakouts this twenty-something has seen since high school.

Unlike most reviewers, I love the smell (kind of herbal and clean) but I find this to feel very greasy (kind of a siliconey greasy feeling rather than oily). and like I mentioned, it caused some monster whiteheads.

on 8/18/2004 2:22:00 PM

Oh my goodness, you ladies are right. This stuff stinks! I put it on last night and in the morning it was still stinky. I think it's the lactic acid, I used another product with lactic acid a while ago and it had the same smell, but this stuff is way stronger. I think if I was single I would use this, but I don't want DH staying away from me because my face stinks.

I did notice that when I woke up my face wasn't as much of an oil slick. I am going to use the sample up, I highly doubt I'm going to buy it though.

on 8/9/2004 10:59:00 PM

Don't use this product once and jump to conclusions. It's a very good moisturizer that should be used in conjunction with the serums. Over time you will love your skin.

on 8/4/2004 11:57:00 AM

Smell isnt great but not to bad-Texture looks good- Doesnt make my oily skin break out or my poors look big. My skin definatly looks and feels a little better with each use. I am a skin picker type and this works well for me. Better than several supposedly light weight moisturizers. I use rentinol product under this. I am thinking about trying hope in a bottle just to check it out.

on 7/28/2004 6:19:00 AM

This has a strange consistency. My skin likes it so far though. (but I've only been using it for two weeks.)**********************************
Update: I'm using Hope in a Jar night and morning now - under my makeup and everything! I've got used to the moussey melts-on-contact-with-skin-texture. My skin looks more refined and I'm more confident without foundation. Obviously I still wear a full face for work, but I went to a bar last week in nothing but touche eclat, mascara and gloss!(that never happens.) I had no monthly breakout either. (Long may THAT continue!) I'm a convert.

I'm using it in conjunction with Greatest Love, Great Mystery and Purity Made Simple.

on 7/21/2004 3:04:00 AM

Ok....what is this awful smell??? This is the first time I actually got up in the middle of the night to wash my face again. I couldn't stand the stink wafting up my nose as I lay in bed...it's hard to discribe....very strong mediciney smell with hints of rotten rotten grass if that makes sense.

Other than the smell.... it's very watery moisturizer which is not remarkable nor bad....but I can't get over this smell and I'm never one to be picky about most scents...so you get the point. Will never buy this again!
///Edited on Oct.29/// If you want the glowy silky feel of this without the stink, I recommend Sephora's super smart moisturizer~~~it gives the skin a healthy sheen and glow without the stink. I love it!^^

on 7/17/2004 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This really did nothing for me. I tend to like my moisturizers to have a nice, creamy texture. This was way too 'watery', and didn't absorb well. I tried it (from a Sephora sample), but through the little package away and applied my usual Aveeno (I'm an Aveeno junkie -- love all their products). You can't beat the quality and price of Aveeno.

on 7/16/2004 6:45:00 PM

The smell is horrible, but I have to admit that it is a very effective cream. I was very sceptical about it, as it does feel very watery going on, but my skin has noticeably improved, so there must be something in it apart from H20. I will be buying again (along with a clothes peg for my nose)!

on 7/16/2004 3:59:00 AM

I thought I buying a wonderful moisturizer from Philosophy, but to my dismay, THIS PRODUCT DOES NOTHING!!! I've never felt this way about a moisturizer before, and I've tried lots!! After I put it on, it just feels like I've applied some sort of cream onto my face that does nothing. I have combination skin and it doesn't moisturize or do anything except make my skin feel like there's a film on it. This was definitely a waste of money. P.S. The smell is kinda funky too.

on 7/15/2004 9:50:00 AM

I really had a high hope for this one after reading all the raves about the cream. The smell DID bother me but I think it smells more like yogurt, not a wet dog or anything. I have normal to dry skin, but it didn't moisturize well enough. I didn't notice any difference in my skin tone, either.
Pass this one.