October 1, 2014 | 1164 users online

Eye Primer - Too Faced - Shadow Insurance, Anti-Crease Eye Shadow Primer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2008 2:08:00 PM More reviews by melissap1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have used UDPP for a while, and I have never liked it. It is powdery, flaky and dulls my eyeshadow colors. But it was the only thing out there that really worked to give shadows staying power. I had also tried the Beauticontrol primer in natural which was about the same. A couple of weeks ago I went to Sephora and asked the SA if there was a primer that was less heavy, lighter and kind of clear. All the SA's there were so enthusiastic about the Too Faced Shadow Insurance that I had to buy it. Of course they were out of it, so I ordered from Beauty.com. It is exactly what I wanted and needed. First of all, the packaging is greatly superior to UDPP. I'll bet it lasts twice as long for that factor alone. It goes on clear, and may be a little more moist than UDPP, but I have dry eyelids. It enhances the color of your eyeshadows rather than dulling them. It doesn't flake or get powdery at all and just feels like your actual skin, except eyeshadows last forever on them. My favorite thing is that it makes your shadow colors more intense and brings out the colors. Finally I found my HG primer. We spend too much money on nice eyeshadows to have them flake, disappear, smudge or travel. Highly recommended!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2008 4:59:00 PM More reviews by trulylovely

This may not be a popular opinion but I honestly do not like Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I have been a big fan of UDPP since joining MUA, because I have super oily eyelids and before MUA, I was never able to wear eyeshadow for more than a few hours. After my first tube of UDPP finally went bad, I decided to purchase TF Shadow Insurance as a replacement, since everyone was raving about it on the boards. I must say, I have been very disappointed. Every single day I've used it (over 2 weeks now) it has creased on me. I keep trying different amounts and different eyeshadows, but no matter what, it keeps creasing by 2 pm. With UDPP my eyeshadow doesn't crease at all, even after 10 pm. Maybe my lids are just super oily but I am not a fan and I will not repurchase this. One thing I do like about this is the packaging, I prefer the squeeze tube to UDPP's wand, but it does not perform as well. I will go back to UDPP soon and try to swap this away.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2008 12:18:00 PM More reviews by ApplePark

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am definitely the type of makeup abuser that goes is always looking for the next best thing. For longer than any other product I've used, UDPP had been a staple in my makeup arsensal. I have repurchased tubes and tubes. Then came THIS!
At first I didn't give TFSI that much attention because I thought, "it couldn't be better than UDPP!" So to compare I did a series of road tests. In each one TFSI was the winner. Day 1: I wore TFSI on one eye and UDPP on the other. I wore a neutral palette of some shimmery and some matte eyeshadows. The first thing I noticed was that the UDPP looked dehydrated, very matte. I haven't been spending tons and tons of money of eye cream for my eye area to look dehydrated. The TFSI side looked plump and the eyeshadow looked vibrant. The colors were not dull or muddy (as on the UDPP side). They seemed more brilliant and the shimmer caught more light. I had no idea that my UDPP made my colors seem more faded! I guess I was so impressed with its long wear that I hadn't noticed (at least comparatively) that the colors were faded. My skin is oily and I didn't have any creasing on the TFSI side. By the end of the day the TFSI looked great. I have heavy lided Asian eyes and my eyeliner had slightly transferred to the lid on the UDPP side. On Day 2: I decided to use TFSI alone on one side and a combination of UDPP with TFSI on top on the other. I think in the summer I may do the combination for longer wear, but it really wasn't necessary. There was only slight difference in color but the TFSI side alone was just a little bit more shimmery and colorful.

This is trumped UDPP place in my makeup toolbox. It is more moisturizing and I may try it for other purposes. It works great for lower lashline shadow bc it is less drying. Also love the tube packaging vs UDPP ridiculous genie bottle.

In summary:

PROs of TFSI over UDPP:
-more hydrating
-better staying power
-bring out e/s color better
-can be used on lower lashline
-prefer tube packaging

30 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2008 11:41:00 PM More reviews by WendyDarling

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product does what it is supposed to do and does it very well. I've tested it both on my hands and worn it on my eyes. When I put it on my hand, I used UD eyeshadow. After a night of sleep, several hand washings, and a shower, there was still a faint tint of blue on the back of my hand.

When I wore it on my eyes, my shadow didn't go anywhere until I rubbed my eyes (my mistake, can't fault the product that). Even then, it only transfered to my finger a little bit, and didn't move anywhere else on my face. When I took a shower that night and washed my face in the shower, I stepped out of the bathroom to discover turquoise raccoon eyes because the shadow had shifted but not washed off. It took 2 applications of Clinique Take the Day Off to get that eyeshadow off my eyelids.

The packaging is adorable, with a turquoise tube that looks like an eye serum or something. I like that there's no applicator, it's really best applied w/ the fingertips or a real brush, not a wand.

It's definitely a special-occaison product for me. I don't wear makeup that often, but when I do I definitely want my eyeshadow to last, and Shadow Insurance locks it to your 'lids.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2008 7:20:00 PM More reviews by dolcefan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

It's official.....I like this better than UDPP. UDPP keeps my shadow in place for a long time, and makes the colors pop.....but so does this, and it's much easier to get the right amount do to he packaging. I felt like I wasted so much of the UDPP, and who wants to crack open that tube all the time? Too Faced SI keeps my e/s from fading and creasing, and I can blend easily. It's a tad expensive but worth it IMO.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2008 11:25:00 PM More reviews by missyfox

I found this product way better than the Urban Decay eyeshadow primer. This actually kept my eyes looking fierce even after running out into the rain and working all day. I have tried the UD primer after I started using this one, and I noticed that the UD primer doesn't hold the color as well (it eventually flakes off during the day), while the Too Faced primer kept my eye shadow on until I took it off! The word needs to be spread about this product, it is easily superior to the UD version!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2008 10:58:00 PM More reviews by RedHead172

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

AWESOME. Truely awesome. My shadow was on from 6:00 AM until 9:30 PM and still looked wonderful! No creasing, no fading!
I thought it was a little pricey, but it is worth it! And the packaging is so great, you won't lose any product with this. You have to try this! Will definately repurchase!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/4/2008 6:13:00 PM More reviews by photocynthesis

A lot of people compare this product to Urban Decay Primer Potion, and while it is similar in theory, it is a LOT creamier. This is because the Too Faced creator, Jerrod Blandino, wanted a formula that was one part UDPP and one part Paula Dorf Eye Primer. It's very creamy, yet long wearing, and in a MUCH better package than UDPP [sorry Urban Decay]. It's clear, yet enhances any eyeshadow color by making it more vibrant, and resistant against creasing. And when you're done, you can cut it open much easier to get out any excess. :]

Edit: As summer came, my eyelids started to get oilier, causing this to begin to crease on me. I recommend this to people who have semi-oily lids, but if your lids are pretty oily, Urban Decay Primer Potion definitely wins.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2008 6:17:00 PM More reviews by jmarie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is softer and smoother then Urban Decay Primer Potion. Worked very well under my MAC frosty shadow.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2008 7:54:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

This stuff has a slight edge over Urban Decay's Primer Potion, in my book. Now, Urban Decay's stuff is really good. But, this new product is FANTASTIC! It will keep your shadow on all day and even all night, if you happen to sleep in it. Your eyeshadow will stay stuck to your eyes almost like super glue. You will never experience any creasing or fading with this product, even if you have super oily eyelids like I do.

BTW......It costs $17.00 and it comes in a tube. And, it works SO UNBELIEVABLY WELL!