October 31, 2014 | 901 users online

Eye Primer - Too Faced - Shadow Insurance

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2008 5:31:00 PM More reviews by shadyy

Used for one week. I ran back to Sephora to switch it for UDPP right away. :\ The consistency is a lot more moisturizing than UDPP which is a plus. The only thing wrong with Shadow Insurance is that it CREASES. Not too badly, but noticeable. UDPP does its job perfect.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2008 5:45:00 PM More reviews by Honeybe82

Love this stuff! Made my eyeshadow pop and last all day! I like that it's in a tube and I only take what I need. GREAT BUY!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2008 1:25:00 AM More reviews by hapapower

I think I like this better than UDPP...It has a similar consistency as UDPP, but the tube packaging is very friendly and waste-free. I also find that I can blend my shadows more easily with this primer, and I get the same iron clad crease proof insurance I get with UDPP...UDPP may have been bumped from its mighty throne for this great stuff!

UPDATE: I actually did more comparison testing and think that TFSI is definitely better than UDPP. I vastly prefer TFSI, by far. With UDPP, blending e/s is definitely a bit of a hassle. With TFSI, I can still blend e/s fairly well. That point alone is enough for me to permanently switch over to TFSI. And I love the squeeze tube packaging, so convenient and waste-free (unlike UDPP).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2008 2:42:00 AM More reviews by jin1022000

I will give this thing a 10 if I could. Can't decide between UDPP and Too Faced Shadow Insurance? GET THIS ONE! Forget about UDPP (that thing might look cute in the store, but when you actually start using it, the so called 'genie bottle' will drive you nuts!!!!)

UDPP VS. TSFI
1) INTENSITY - TSFI beats UDPP with no doubts! TSFI makes my eyeshadow look so pretty, it brings out the intensity of the eyeshadow. To get the same result with UDPP, I will have to do an extra step, which is using UDPP as the base, then apply MAC Mixing Medium on top. So, next time if you find your eyeshadow to be very dull and want your $$$ back, don't blame on the poor E/S, get TSFI!

2) STAYING POWER (ANTI-CREASING) - I think they both work great, except since TSFI isn't as thick as UDPP, you can actually apply another layer on top of the parts that usually creases the most. And that makes a big difference.

3) PACKAGING - I bet there are a million other girls who are struggling w/ UDPP's 'magic bottle' every morning. If you own UDPP, you should know exactly what is wrong with it's packaging! TSFI is much easier to use! (except for I will need my fingers to apply, but you might need to use your fingers to smooth out UDPP also, so wut the heck~)

4) PRICE - Okay, maybe TSFI costs a little bit more than UDPP, but you'll get the last drop of it! And UDPP, god knows how much of UDPP we had to waste since we can't get to the bottom of that stupid bottle!

If you haven't tried TSFI, you gotta try it first before deciding UDPP is THE ONE, you might change your mind!

*Hint: shake well before using it, because TSFI is combined w/ the cream and oil, so if you don't shake it, all you gonna get is the OIL!

** UPDATE **
Got a very helpful message from alyria on MUA, if anybody still has an old bottle of UDPP that you can't get to the rest of the cream/liquid inside, "use a pair of tweezers or pliers to pull out the clear rubber stopper at the top. At least you'll be able to fully use it up!" ---- By. Alyria (I tried this right after I read her message, IT WORKED! ... yay~ because I still have 3 bottles of UDPP that ALL OF THEM STILL HAVE 1/3 left inside~) What am I gonna do with those 'bonus UDPP'?? Here is what I always do: carry a UDPP w/ me, before I try out ANY EYESHADOW by any BRAND (doesn't matter if you are at SEPHORA or MAC), apply UDPP on the back of your hand, USE ALOT! cover the entire skin w/ UDPP (or maybe your eyelids if you want to try them on your eyelids) wait until it sets, then try on the eyeshadow, that way, you wouldn't MISJUDGE any eyeshadows (I missed lots of PRETTY COLORS because I thought they were very DULL, and doesn't look as good as I thought it would be)

**2nd UPDATE**
I don't know how many people use BeneFit Lemon Aid to cover up the nasty original eyelid color (some ppl use concealer/foundation for this purpose also). Okay, this is what happened to me. My original eyelid color makes my eyes look tired, so I use BeneFit Lemon Aid to cover it up then UDPP over my lids. Magic happend... IT GOT ALL FLAKY!!!!! I guess it's because of the texture (of both products, not blaming on UDPP 100%ly~). I had to use makeup remover to remove the whole thing and apply again, but this time I used TSFI (since it's oily and greasy), it actually made Lemon Aid smoother~ So here's the hint: if you use any kind of heavy/thick texture of concealer/foundation on your eyelids before applying primer, then I'd choose TSFI over UDPP.

43 out of 44 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2008 10:38:00 PM More reviews by heyitskaren

I don't know why, but i bought urban decay primer potion the same time as shadow insurance, i used both, one on my left and right eye. UDPP's side seemed to adhear more duochrome sparkle than shadow insurance. five hours later i checked both of them out, i cried during the five hours and because of contact lens irritation, i also rubbed both eyes. the UDPP side had absolutely no creasing, but the color was very washed out. shadow insurance also had no creasing, but the color was still there, somewhat washed out. shadow insurance won my test. but i seriously think that both of them are pretty great, which ever one you get. on the negative side, i prefer UDPP's creamyness, i also experianced like, an oily residue my first time applying from shadow insurance. UDPP or shadow insurance does not take away any color payoff from your shadows, i beileve it enhanced them. I would totally buy shadow insurance again.

BTW: their first five ingredients are the same (so i'm thinking it's probably nearly the same product?)

UDPP:
Isododecane, Talc, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trihydroxystearin, Triethylhexanoin, Isopropyl Lanolate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Dimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Propylene Carbonate, Phenoxyethanol, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Methicone, Isobutylparaben.
May Contain: Mica, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride).

Shadow Insurance:
Isododecane, Talc, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Glyceryl Triethylhexanoate, Polyethylene, Trihydroxystearin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Isopropyl Lanolate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Propylene Carbonate, Dimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopherol. May Contain (+/-): Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2008 2:34:00 PM More reviews by nicoleh619

A little on the fence as to whether I'd buy it again or not. I've been a die hard UDPP fan for awhile now but read about this on the boards and decided to give this a try. I found it very similar to UDPP. I had little to no creasing colors were vibrant and the longevity was great. I had no complaints its just that Im so used to UDPP I cant decide yet what I will do.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2008 4:04:00 AM More reviews by maysong

I have really oily lids, and have always had a problem with creasing. Recently I have been doing slightly heavier/more colorful eye looks, and thus I found myself really needing an eye primer. I considered UDPP, but had heard the tube was a pain and that it was sort of a "love it or hate it" kind of product. After skimming the MUA boards, I decided to try Too Faced Shadow Insurance, and boy am I glad I did!

It really does keep shadow in place ALL DAY--no creasing, no budging. I also like the packaging...cute, and I know I'll be able to get it all out. It doesn't take much, so it should last a long time. I took off one lippie b/c it seems a bit spendy to me at $17 plus tax, but it's worth it and I will def repurchase

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2008 6:06:00 PM More reviews by lawdiva

Great product. Thanks to the reviewers here for leading me to this! My shadow lasted through my work day, but I did touch up before going out at night. My eye makeup didn't crease, and my eyeliner stayed in place. Even though my eye shadow lasted all day, the color wasn't as fresh as it was in the morning, which is to be expected. Urban Decay's product also worked well for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2008 2:51:00 PM More reviews by LeslieCZ

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is probably the best eye primer I have ever used...and I have tried plenty of them over the years...from top of the line expensive to cheapie drugstore versions...I can't even remember them all! I have most recently used UDPP (too thin), Guerlain (too lumpy) and Paula Dorf (too greasy). This one has a smooth, even texture, it hydrates, it doesn't lump or cause shadows to go "bump in the night" and it's not so thin that it sinks into my very dry lids. This provides a fabulous protective layer that holds shadows in place for hours on end and works equally well under cremes or powders. DEFINITELY A WINNER...this was recommended by several MUAers and they were, as usual, right on target...glad I am now insured!

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2008 10:47:00 AM More reviews by keahi

I've been using this for over a month now so I can now say that yes, I will buy this base again. But, I will also continue to buy UDPP, MAC Paint Pots, Shadesticks and Paints. I guess I am not a one eyeshadow base kind of girl.

TFSI is different than UDPP. Better than? Maybe. Depends on what you're looking for. Things it does better than UDPP are packaging, blendability, and moisture content (doesn't dry out your eyelids as much). I still think UDPP trumps this however in the longevity department. I do experience slight fading and sometimes even creasing with TFSI depending on the type of eyeshadow used. TFSI works VERY well if you are working with highly pigmented shades that tend to last well on their own. I.e. MAC, Bobbi Brown, Urban Decay, Shu, etc. I don't think it works very well with loose powder/ mineral eyeshadows--these seem to fade away sooner whereas UDPP seems to hold tight to no matter what crap you slap on your lids.

For making colors pop MAC paints, PPs and shadesticks trump both UDPP and TFSI. Shadesticks are the only base I've found that make some of my loose mineral shadows worth a darn. Bottom line: this isn't an end-all be-all base for me (which is what we're all hoping for, right?). I've resigned myself to the fact that if you want to experiment with a variety of e/s textures, finishes, formulas, and effects, you need an arsenal of bases to go with it. If I ever develop a "signature" eye look this has the potential to be my one & only, but until then, this earns a "solid" ranking as opposed to HG.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No