Too Faced Shadow Insurance

4.2

Isododecane, Talc, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Glyceryl Triethylhexanoate, Polyethylene, Trihydroxystearin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Isopropyl Lanolate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Propylene Carbonate, Dimethicone, PEG 40 Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopherol, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

on 5/18/2008 5:13:00 PM

Oh I wanted to like this. UDPP is the most perfect product ever, but I can't stand the packaging and I don't want to cut up that stupid genie tube in order to get most of the product out. But Shadow Insurance failed test after test miserably for me. I kept trying for weeks, because after comparing the ingredient list, it seemed so very similar to UDPP that I kept hoping it would perform close enough to work! But nope - not even close. It creased within a half-hour, while UDPP will last through the day for me, except in extreme conditions. In this case, similar ingredients do not equal similar performance at all. I'm back to Primer Potion, but I've still got my fingers crossed that Urban Decay will switch their packaging to a nice, simple, sanitary squeeze tube.

I have now tried both UDPP and this product and I have to say this outperformed UDPP for me. The Urban Decay Primer Potion worked fantastic for the first week or so and then it started creasing on me. I was elated to find a similar product in Shadow Insurance. I've used this for about three or four weeks now and I haven't noticed any creasing unless I've had my shadow on for 14+ hours or so. And I really couldn't ask for much more than that. I was so excited that this product has excellent packaging. Whoever thought of the packaging for UDPP must have been a little too sleep deprived. It's cute, but you can only end up using about half of it unless you take apart the container and put it in a jar. Shadow Insurance is more sanitary than either of those situations. As it just squirts out in a tube, there's minimal contact with unused product. Fantastic! Great packaging, great product, great results. Better than UDPP in my opinion. Almost the same exact price, if not exact... I can't remember if this is $16 or $17...

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This stuff is awesome!! I used to buy UDPP, but after trying this I bought a tube if it. I like the fact that it's more sanitary than the UDPP wand and it's great for oily lids. Overall the price is nice because a little of this goes a long way and packaging is too cute. I will definately repurchase as long as TF keeps making!
EDIT: Unfortunately, I quit using this product. I've noticed the product doesn't suit my skin. My eyelids are quite dry and it's making them worse. So, blending takes work. I switched back to UDPP.

on 5/11/2008 5:29:00 AM

When I saw this product at my local Sephora, I bought it instantly. Urban Decay doesnít sell its m/u line here so I thought Shadow Insurance would be a good alternative to my beloved (but hard to find) Primer Potion. Unfortunately, this primer didnít work for me at all. No matter what kind of e/s I apply, colors lose their vibrancy and start to crease noticeably within few hours. What a pity, I really wanted to like Shadow Insurance but I simply couldnít. In this light, Iíll continue to purchase UDPP and ArtDeco e/s base from other countries.

on 5/10/2008 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

i love this product. i have oily skin and my eyeshadow usually creases in a few hours but with this i have no problem all day long. i will repurchase it again for sure.

on 5/6/2008 4:29:00 PM

Goods:
-does make my eyeshadow stay on longer (I tried one eyelid with it and one without, by the end of the day, my bf noticed that the lid without the shadow insurance has color faded away mostly)

Bads:
-the cream gets clogg up near the crease area

Conclusion:
-decent pricing, nice packaging, not bad to try!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I think I may like this more than UDPP! I get the same results, excpet this is in a tube, much cuter packaging. This dosent really change the color of the shadow when applied like UDPP. This still makes the color vibrant like UDPP but sometimes UDPP makes the colour a bit darker, while this makes it stay true to its color. Only think I dont like about this is when I first squeezed it out I got a big blob of oil! But it dosent go on oily at all, that was kind of gross. EDIT~ THIS IS TERRIBLE! It looks like my eyeshadow creased as soon as I apply shadow..does nothing for me...up for swap it goes.. I WILL STICK WITH UDPP

LOVE it. I get similar results as I get for UDPP, but:
~the tube has more in it than UDPP
~is in a squeezable tube
~therefore not wasting product, and it's more hygenic

So yes, although a few dollars more, you *get* more, and it lasts longer because you're not letting in massive amounts of air when you use it, and product is not getting stuck on the bottom so you have to remove the plastic stopper, then in a few more weeks, cut it open and remove it to a 5g jar, when it's just going to dry out in 2 weeks anyways. *lets out breath*

UDPP would crease on me after about 5-6 hours. This creases on me 7-8 hours, so at least I can get through the work day.
For some reason, when I wear it with MAC shadows, it doesn't crease until around 9 hours. YES!

ETA: 5.15.08 This works best if I rub it in, leave it alone about a minute, and then rub remaining wet stuff from the crease of my lid over the dry area. When it's 90% dry I apply shadow. So it wasn't specifically MAC eye shadows, it's anytime I wait until it is nearly dry.
Yes, my shadows definitely stay true to color.

on 4/28/2008 4:00:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

To quote an old song "I've been thru Lumene and UDPP, MAC and L'Oreal,,,,,,,,,all that I know is,,,,,,,,,,,,,they stink". This product is all that you want it to be. It does not dry my lids out and make them itch like UDPP did. It isn't cakey, or too thick or too thin. It's a perfect product IN A TUBE, so you can get all the product out. This makes e/s look more intense, better, go on great, does not "grab" at the color and make it harder to apply. It is just a glorious e/s base that glides on and makes all your colors from the cheapest WnW to your most expensive Laura Mercier or Dior look beautiful!
You will ♥ ♥ ♥ this product when you try it.

Here is the Sephora Description:

Shadow Insurance
What it is:
An eyeshadow primer guaranteed to go the distance.

What it does:
This is your full-coverage insurance policy against all fading, creasing, melting, blurring, oil slicked, and hard-to-blend eyeshadow accidents. Our silicone based eyeshadow primer transforms any eyeshadow into a perfectly blendable, color-drenched, intensified version of itself, then locks it down perfectly until you take it off. This soothing formula evens out the skintone on your lids and smoothes lines while securing a barrier between the oils of your skin and your makeup, so no shadow catastrophes will ever happen again.

What else you need to know:
Truly versatile, Shadow Insurance can be used with powder or cream eyeshadow products, and it's concentrated: the size of a rain drop covers the entire lid.

on 4/27/2008 7:20:00 PM

OH. MY. GOD. This stuff is heaven-sent. And guess what? I can find it in Canada at the Bay! Meaning, it's not highly-coveted and I don't need to beg people who are going down to the states or headed east to Toronto to get it for me!

Some basics about me: medium-toned Asian skin, slightly acne-prone, creased eyelids that are, AHEM, oil dumps. MAC shadows can only go maybe 40 minutes to an hour before it creases and becomes hideous. So I needed a solution. NEEDED. And Too Faced Shadow Insurance was my saviour. Literally. I put a dot-sized amount on each lid like the box said I should and then rubbed it in with my finger and let dry for a few seconds. Then I noticed that, already, my eyelids were shine-free and ultimately, oil-free. YAY! And then I thought, "Now, if only it works with eyeshadow..." And so I put on my eyeshadow (MAC on one eye and Victoria's Secret on the other, just as a test, because, no, I'm not weird like that) and they've past the hour mark of my normal creasing time and we're at two hours now and still no creasing. Just perfectly done shadow, like it was two hours ago. And it makes the staying power of the shadow better, too. I can swipe my finger on it and the shimmer off the Victoria's Secret shadow doesn't come off. Can't say much about the MAC one I'm wearing, since I don't like the shade to begin with. But this stuff...truly awesome. And no, I haven't tried the UDPP because those reviews all talk about the finnicky packaging and the cutting and the wastefulness. And I can't get it easily like I can with Too Faced and since Too Faced works fine with me, I ain't moving on to try something else.

Summary: HG, 24.00CAD at the Bay, 5 lippies (+ bonus lippies in my imagination), perfectly sanitary squeeze tube, will repurchase.

**EDIT: Lasted through a WHOLE EIGHT HOURS AND STILL GOING STRONG TODAY!

(I noticed another section on MUA for TFIS reviews, so I will post this review there as well.)