November 23, 2014 | 2082 users online

Eye Primer - Too Faced - Shadow Insurance

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2008 2:50:00 PM More reviews by didiss

I bought this about 2 weeks ago. I have been using it every day, and I love it. I have purchased some of the best eyeshadows, expensive and nothing would ever last on me.I assume my lids are very oily or something similar. I put it on early in the morning, and my shadow is still on when i get off work around 5. This works great with all of my shadows. So far I have tried it with my Chanel, EL, and Bare Minerals. I have not used it with the drugstore brand yet. I am not trying to sound conceded, but most people have no issues with the department store brands, so I kind of expected the shadow insurance to work great with them. I have not gotten any dry eye issues or milia from this yet.... If I run into something I will definately update. As far as the product goes it does not smell, it has some kind of oil that came out when i first opened it,but it was ok. I purchased it from Sephora for about $17. It is worth it to me. I will definately repurchase. Oh, by the way i read all the reviews on eyeshadow insurance and UDPP and I have to say that I can see how the "genie" bottle can be an issue. The bottle on the Too Faced product is very easy to use and hygenic. I love this product. If I wanted to I could even wear it alone. It gives your eyes a soft matte finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2008 5:30:00 PM More reviews by LindseyZ

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this product a week ago and it is already an HG item for me.

As I've gotten older (now 27), my eyelids have gone from very oily to very dry. My old standby, MAC paint, is now so drying that I can only use it twice a week, which means my collection of 100+ e/s has been collecting dust.

I heard about TFSI on the MU board, found a good deal, and put it to the test. I wore it for 16+ hours a day for four days in a row with different e/s products (regular pan e/s and pigment from MAC, BE loose mineral e/s, and Stila pan e/s).

TSFI goes on smoothly (no tugging required), prevents creasing all day (even through naps and sex, lol), and delivers better color intensity than my MAC paint ever did. Four consecutive days of wear did not dry out or irritate my lids in any way. I'm so happy to have found this and will be swapping my paints. If only I could find a primer this good for the rest of my face!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2008 5:31:00 PM More reviews by shadyy

Used for one week. I ran back to Sephora to switch it for UDPP right away. :\ The consistency is a lot more moisturizing than UDPP which is a plus. The only thing wrong with Shadow Insurance is that it CREASES. Not too badly, but noticeable. UDPP does its job perfect.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2008 5:45:00 PM More reviews by Honeybe82

Love this stuff! Made my eyeshadow pop and last all day! I like that it's in a tube and I only take what I need. GREAT BUY!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2008 1:25:00 AM More reviews by hapapower

I think I like this better than UDPP...It has a similar consistency as UDPP, but the tube packaging is very friendly and waste-free. I also find that I can blend my shadows more easily with this primer, and I get the same iron clad crease proof insurance I get with UDPP...UDPP may have been bumped from its mighty throne for this great stuff!

UPDATE: I actually did more comparison testing and think that TFSI is definitely better than UDPP. I vastly prefer TFSI, by far. With UDPP, blending e/s is definitely a bit of a hassle. With TFSI, I can still blend e/s fairly well. That point alone is enough for me to permanently switch over to TFSI. And I love the squeeze tube packaging, so convenient and waste-free (unlike UDPP).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2008 2:42:00 AM More reviews by jin1022000

I will give this thing a 10 if I could. Can't decide between UDPP and Too Faced Shadow Insurance? GET THIS ONE! Forget about UDPP (that thing might look cute in the store, but when you actually start using it, the so called 'genie bottle' will drive you nuts!!!!)

UDPP VS. TSFI
1) INTENSITY - TSFI beats UDPP with no doubts! TSFI makes my eyeshadow look so pretty, it brings out the intensity of the eyeshadow. To get the same result with UDPP, I will have to do an extra step, which is using UDPP as the base, then apply MAC Mixing Medium on top. So, next time if you find your eyeshadow to be very dull and want your $$$ back, don't blame on the poor E/S, get TSFI!

2) STAYING POWER (ANTI-CREASING) - I think they both work great, except since TSFI isn't as thick as UDPP, you can actually apply another layer on top of the parts that usually creases the most. And that makes a big difference.

3) PACKAGING - I bet there are a million other girls who are struggling w/ UDPP's 'magic bottle' every morning. If you own UDPP, you should know exactly what is wrong with it's packaging! TSFI is much easier to use! (except for I will need my fingers to apply, but you might need to use your fingers to smooth out UDPP also, so wut the heck~)

4) PRICE - Okay, maybe TSFI costs a little bit more than UDPP, but you'll get the last drop of it! And UDPP, god knows how much of UDPP we had to waste since we can't get to the bottom of that stupid bottle!

If you haven't tried TSFI, you gotta try it first before deciding UDPP is THE ONE, you might change your mind!

*Hint: shake well before using it, because TSFI is combined w/ the cream and oil, so if you don't shake it, all you gonna get is the OIL!

** UPDATE **
Got a very helpful message from alyria on MUA, if anybody still has an old bottle of UDPP that you can't get to the rest of the cream/liquid inside, "use a pair of tweezers or pliers to pull out the clear rubber stopper at the top. At least you'll be able to fully use it up!" ---- By. Alyria (I tried this right after I read her message, IT WORKED! ... yay~ because I still have 3 bottles of UDPP that ALL OF THEM STILL HAVE 1/3 left inside~) What am I gonna do with those 'bonus UDPP'?? Here is what I always do: carry a UDPP w/ me, before I try out ANY EYESHADOW by any BRAND (doesn't matter if you are at SEPHORA or MAC), apply UDPP on the back of your hand, USE ALOT! cover the entire skin w/ UDPP (or maybe your eyelids if you want to try them on your eyelids) wait until it sets, then try on the eyeshadow, that way, you wouldn't MISJUDGE any eyeshadows (I missed lots of PRETTY COLORS because I thought they were very DULL, and doesn't look as good as I thought it would be)

**2nd UPDATE**
I don't know how many people use BeneFit Lemon Aid to cover up the nasty original eyelid color (some ppl use concealer/foundation for this purpose also). Okay, this is what happened to me. My original eyelid color makes my eyes look tired, so I use BeneFit Lemon Aid to cover it up then UDPP over my lids. Magic happend... IT GOT ALL FLAKY!!!!! I guess it's because of the texture (of both products, not blaming on UDPP 100%ly~). I had to use makeup remover to remove the whole thing and apply again, but this time I used TSFI (since it's oily and greasy), it actually made Lemon Aid smoother~ So here's the hint: if you use any kind of heavy/thick texture of concealer/foundation on your eyelids before applying primer, then I'd choose TSFI over UDPP.

43 out of 44 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2008 10:38:00 PM More reviews by heyitskaren

I don't know why, but i bought urban decay primer potion the same time as shadow insurance, i used both, one on my left and right eye. UDPP's side seemed to adhear more duochrome sparkle than shadow insurance. five hours later i checked both of them out, i cried during the five hours and because of contact lens irritation, i also rubbed both eyes. the UDPP side had absolutely no creasing, but the color was very washed out. shadow insurance also had no creasing, but the color was still there, somewhat washed out. shadow insurance won my test. but i seriously think that both of them are pretty great, which ever one you get. on the negative side, i prefer UDPP's creamyness, i also experianced like, an oily residue my first time applying from shadow insurance. UDPP or shadow insurance does not take away any color payoff from your shadows, i beileve it enhanced them. I would totally buy shadow insurance again.

BTW: their first five ingredients are the same (so i'm thinking it's probably nearly the same product?)

UDPP:
Isododecane, Talc, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trihydroxystearin, Triethylhexanoin, Isopropyl Lanolate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Dimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Propylene Carbonate, Phenoxyethanol, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Methicone, Isobutylparaben.
May Contain: Mica, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride).

Shadow Insurance:
Isododecane, Talc, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Glyceryl Triethylhexanoate, Polyethylene, Trihydroxystearin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Isopropyl Lanolate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Propylene Carbonate, Dimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopherol. May Contain (+/-): Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2008 2:34:00 PM More reviews by nicoleh619

A little on the fence as to whether I'd buy it again or not. I've been a die hard UDPP fan for awhile now but read about this on the boards and decided to give this a try. I found it very similar to UDPP. I had little to no creasing colors were vibrant and the longevity was great. I had no complaints its just that Im so used to UDPP I cant decide yet what I will do.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2008 4:04:00 AM More reviews by maysong

I have really oily lids, and have always had a problem with creasing. Recently I have been doing slightly heavier/more colorful eye looks, and thus I found myself really needing an eye primer. I considered UDPP, but had heard the tube was a pain and that it was sort of a "love it or hate it" kind of product. After skimming the MUA boards, I decided to try Too Faced Shadow Insurance, and boy am I glad I did!

It really does keep shadow in place ALL DAY--no creasing, no budging. I also like the packaging...cute, and I know I'll be able to get it all out. It doesn't take much, so it should last a long time. I took off one lippie b/c it seems a bit spendy to me at $17 plus tax, but it's worth it and I will def repurchase

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2008 6:06:00 PM More reviews by lawdiva

Great product. Thanks to the reviewers here for leading me to this! My shadow lasted through my work day, but I did touch up before going out at night. My eye makeup didn't crease, and my eyeliner stayed in place. Even though my eye shadow lasted all day, the color wasn't as fresh as it was in the morning, which is to be expected. Urban Decay's product also worked well for me.