October 23, 2014 | 958 users online

Eye Primer - Too Faced - Shadow Insurance

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2008 10:38:00 PM More reviews by heyitskaren

I don't know why, but i bought urban decay primer potion the same time as shadow insurance, i used both, one on my left and right eye. UDPP's side seemed to adhear more duochrome sparkle than shadow insurance. five hours later i checked both of them out, i cried during the five hours and because of contact lens irritation, i also rubbed both eyes. the UDPP side had absolutely no creasing, but the color was very washed out. shadow insurance also had no creasing, but the color was still there, somewhat washed out. shadow insurance won my test. but i seriously think that both of them are pretty great, which ever one you get. on the negative side, i prefer UDPP's creamyness, i also experianced like, an oily residue my first time applying from shadow insurance. UDPP or shadow insurance does not take away any color payoff from your shadows, i beileve it enhanced them. I would totally buy shadow insurance again.

BTW: their first five ingredients are the same (so i'm thinking it's probably nearly the same product?)

UDPP:
Isododecane, Talc, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trihydroxystearin, Triethylhexanoin, Isopropyl Lanolate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Dimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Propylene Carbonate, Phenoxyethanol, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Methicone, Isobutylparaben.
May Contain: Mica, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride).

Shadow Insurance:
Isododecane, Talc, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Glyceryl Triethylhexanoate, Polyethylene, Trihydroxystearin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Isopropyl Lanolate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Propylene Carbonate, Dimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopherol. May Contain (+/-): Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2008 2:34:00 PM More reviews by nicoleh619

A little on the fence as to whether I'd buy it again or not. I've been a die hard UDPP fan for awhile now but read about this on the boards and decided to give this a try. I found it very similar to UDPP. I had little to no creasing colors were vibrant and the longevity was great. I had no complaints its just that Im so used to UDPP I cant decide yet what I will do.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2008 4:04:00 AM More reviews by maysong

I have really oily lids, and have always had a problem with creasing. Recently I have been doing slightly heavier/more colorful eye looks, and thus I found myself really needing an eye primer. I considered UDPP, but had heard the tube was a pain and that it was sort of a "love it or hate it" kind of product. After skimming the MUA boards, I decided to try Too Faced Shadow Insurance, and boy am I glad I did!

It really does keep shadow in place ALL DAY--no creasing, no budging. I also like the packaging...cute, and I know I'll be able to get it all out. It doesn't take much, so it should last a long time. I took off one lippie b/c it seems a bit spendy to me at $17 plus tax, but it's worth it and I will def repurchase

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2008 6:06:00 PM More reviews by lawdiva

Great product. Thanks to the reviewers here for leading me to this! My shadow lasted through my work day, but I did touch up before going out at night. My eye makeup didn't crease, and my eyeliner stayed in place. Even though my eye shadow lasted all day, the color wasn't as fresh as it was in the morning, which is to be expected. Urban Decay's product also worked well for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2008 2:51:00 PM More reviews by LeslieCZ

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is probably the best eye primer I have ever used...and I have tried plenty of them over the years...from top of the line expensive to cheapie drugstore versions...I can't even remember them all! I have most recently used UDPP (too thin), Guerlain (too lumpy) and Paula Dorf (too greasy). This one has a smooth, even texture, it hydrates, it doesn't lump or cause shadows to go "bump in the night" and it's not so thin that it sinks into my very dry lids. This provides a fabulous protective layer that holds shadows in place for hours on end and works equally well under cremes or powders. DEFINITELY A WINNER...this was recommended by several MUAers and they were, as usual, right on target...glad I am now insured!

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2008 10:47:00 AM More reviews by keahi

I've been using this for over a month now so I can now say that yes, I will buy this base again. But, I will also continue to buy UDPP, MAC Paint Pots, Shadesticks and Paints. I guess I am not a one eyeshadow base kind of girl.

TFSI is different than UDPP. Better than? Maybe. Depends on what you're looking for. Things it does better than UDPP are packaging, blendability, and moisture content (doesn't dry out your eyelids as much). I still think UDPP trumps this however in the longevity department. I do experience slight fading and sometimes even creasing with TFSI depending on the type of eyeshadow used. TFSI works VERY well if you are working with highly pigmented shades that tend to last well on their own. I.e. MAC, Bobbi Brown, Urban Decay, Shu, etc. I don't think it works very well with loose powder/ mineral eyeshadows--these seem to fade away sooner whereas UDPP seems to hold tight to no matter what crap you slap on your lids.

For making colors pop MAC paints, PPs and shadesticks trump both UDPP and TFSI. Shadesticks are the only base I've found that make some of my loose mineral shadows worth a darn. Bottom line: this isn't an end-all be-all base for me (which is what we're all hoping for, right?). I've resigned myself to the fact that if you want to experiment with a variety of e/s textures, finishes, formulas, and effects, you need an arsenal of bases to go with it. If I ever develop a "signature" eye look this has the potential to be my one & only, but until then, this earns a "solid" ranking as opposed to HG.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2008 7:21:00 PM More reviews by bossanovaville

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my HG!!! I'm asian, I have oily eyelids, and I live in Houston where it gets hot and extremely humid. I've never been able to keep eye makeup on for longer than about 2 hours before it starts fading and smudging under my eyes. This product is amazing. My eye makeup stays on all day, I can rub my eyelids with my finger and it doesn't come off, doesn't even smudge! The product itself is light and silky and doesn't flake or crease. I've had no irritation and no dryness. It does make it difficult to blend eyeshadow, but that's to be expected for a product that makes your eye makeup stay on. I highly recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2008 2:08:00 PM More reviews by melissap1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have used UDPP for a while, and I have never liked it. It is powdery, flaky and dulls my eyeshadow colors. But it was the only thing out there that really worked to give shadows staying power. I had also tried the Beauticontrol primer in natural which was about the same. A couple of weeks ago I went to Sephora and asked the SA if there was a primer that was less heavy, lighter and kind of clear. All the SA's there were so enthusiastic about the Too Faced Shadow Insurance that I had to buy it. Of course they were out of it, so I ordered from Beauty.com. It is exactly what I wanted and needed. First of all, the packaging is greatly superior to UDPP. I'll bet it lasts twice as long for that factor alone. It goes on clear, and may be a little more moist than UDPP, but I have dry eyelids. It enhances the color of your eyeshadows rather than dulling them. It doesn't flake or get powdery at all and just feels like your actual skin, except eyeshadows last forever on them. My favorite thing is that it makes your shadow colors more intense and brings out the colors. Finally I found my HG primer. We spend too much money on nice eyeshadows to have them flake, disappear, smudge or travel. Highly recommended!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2008 4:59:00 PM More reviews by trulylovely

This may not be a popular opinion but I honestly do not like Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I have been a big fan of UDPP since joining MUA, because I have super oily eyelids and before MUA, I was never able to wear eyeshadow for more than a few hours. After my first tube of UDPP finally went bad, I decided to purchase TF Shadow Insurance as a replacement, since everyone was raving about it on the boards. I must say, I have been very disappointed. Every single day I've used it (over 2 weeks now) it has creased on me. I keep trying different amounts and different eyeshadows, but no matter what, it keeps creasing by 2 pm. With UDPP my eyeshadow doesn't crease at all, even after 10 pm. Maybe my lids are just super oily but I am not a fan and I will not repurchase this. One thing I do like about this is the packaging, I prefer the squeeze tube to UDPP's wand, but it does not perform as well. I will go back to UDPP soon and try to swap this away.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2008 12:18:00 PM More reviews by ApplePark

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am definitely the type of makeup abuser that goes is always looking for the next best thing. For longer than any other product I've used, UDPP had been a staple in my makeup arsensal. I have repurchased tubes and tubes. Then came THIS!
At first I didn't give TFSI that much attention because I thought, "it couldn't be better than UDPP!" So to compare I did a series of road tests. In each one TFSI was the winner. Day 1: I wore TFSI on one eye and UDPP on the other. I wore a neutral palette of some shimmery and some matte eyeshadows. The first thing I noticed was that the UDPP looked dehydrated, very matte. I haven't been spending tons and tons of money of eye cream for my eye area to look dehydrated. The TFSI side looked plump and the eyeshadow looked vibrant. The colors were not dull or muddy (as on the UDPP side). They seemed more brilliant and the shimmer caught more light. I had no idea that my UDPP made my colors seem more faded! I guess I was so impressed with its long wear that I hadn't noticed (at least comparatively) that the colors were faded. My skin is oily and I didn't have any creasing on the TFSI side. By the end of the day the TFSI looked great. I have heavy lided Asian eyes and my eyeliner had slightly transferred to the lid on the UDPP side. On Day 2: I decided to use TFSI alone on one side and a combination of UDPP with TFSI on top on the other. I think in the summer I may do the combination for longer wear, but it really wasn't necessary. There was only slight difference in color but the TFSI side alone was just a little bit more shimmery and colorful.

This is trumped UDPP place in my makeup toolbox. It is more moisturizing and I may try it for other purposes. It works great for lower lashline shadow bc it is less drying. Also love the tube packaging vs UDPP ridiculous genie bottle.

In summary:

PROs of TFSI over UDPP:
-more hydrating
-better staying power
-bring out e/s color better
-can be used on lower lashline
-prefer tube packaging