La Mer Creme de la mer moisturizer

3.5

Ingredients: Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Lime Extract, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Sesame Seed Oil, Eucalyptus Leaf Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Sesame Seeds, Alfalfa Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Powdered Almonds, [sodium, Potassium, Copper, Calcium, Duncecap, Magnesium, And Zinc Gluconate], Paraffin, Vitamin E Succinate, Niacin, Beta-carotene, Decyl Oleate, Aluminum Distearate, Octyldodecanol, Citric Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Magnesium Stearate, Panthenol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Alcohol Denat

the first time I tried this I stopped using it. I didn't think it was doing anything for my skin...but then I started breaking out with every other product I tried, even stuff that supposedly didn't break other people out. I've returned to this even though it doesn't last me that long,(like three months in harsh winter New England) and no day cream I've tried(avon, olay, lancome absolue, nuxe, etc.) makes a better makeup base, and doesn't irritate my skin. I'm hoping to find something that is cheaper and lasts longer (anyone tried darphin fibrogen or vitalskin cremes?)
all in all, it saves my skin since I've lived in a harsh climate. I think it would probably depend upon your skin type though, so you should definitely get generous samples and/or buy for a discount if you can!

on 4/24/2003 12:20:00 PM

Caveat emptor! Just got back from the dermatologist. Thanks to the paraffin and/or petroleum in this product, I now have a chronic skin condition known as perioral dermatitis, and must take oral antibiotics to reduce the unsightly and itchy flare ups. I can use nothing stronger on my face than Ceraphil. (Goodbye all other skin treatments, now I'm using basically baby cleanser.) I always had pretty good skin overall, and now, at age 40, the lower half of my face was a mess of red rash and bumps. Just what you need when you feel like the bloom is off the rose to begin with. I wonder if anyone else has contracted this itchy broken out condition from use of this product? It's terrible, and even more when you consider what we pay for this. Save your money and save your skin! I can't say enough bad things about this dreck. I wish I could give it a rating of 0.

on 4/17/2003 9:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Glad I got samples first! This is a VERY expensive cream... with 16 ounces going for $1000! It is very moisturizing - too much so for my normal/oily skin. Smells nice and "herbal." Has a HUGE cult following, but get a sample (mine was from Ebay) before splurging. It does make a nice undereye cream, but is rather expensive for that.

on 4/17/2003 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I used this product a while ago. Everybody was saying it was the greatest so I REALLY wanted it to work for me. Nedless to say with my tendency to break out, this did NOT work at all. Did not like the texture, felt super greasy and it made me break out. Tried the oil absorbing moisturizer after it came out, and except for better texture it was also a bust.

on 4/14/2003 1:08:00 AM

I have a very dry skin between my eyebrows and on the side of my nose. I have tried so many products, I put on Estee Night Repair, Idealist, and 100% Time Release every morning and night. Yet, the dryness always showed. This Creme De Lamer alone can help me within just the first few times used!!

on 4/12/2003 6:58:00 AM

I agree it takes a little time for some people to get a hang of how to use it right, but it worked fine for me almost from the start. It's unbeatable for skin-repair. Better than Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair, which I used to be nuts about. If I have a zit scab or light wound, this can make everything soft and smooth real fast. In terms of value for money, I certainly think it lasts much longer than other high-end creams like Re-Nutriv, Caviar Luxe or Global Anti-age, cos you only melt a tiny dab each time to pat over your entire face. Plus, the 2oz jar already holds more product than the other 1.7oz creams, for a lower price too. I used the 1oz (30ml) sized pot every night and some days, for over a year! So I've just hardened my heart and bought the bigger pot just a few hours ago. (Goodness knows it'll probably last 2 years or something...)

on 4/11/2003 8:40:00 PM

Made me break out the first couple of nights, who can get past that!?

on 4/11/2003 12:10:00 PM

great stuff - one needs patience - u see the miracle in a few weeks.

on 4/11/2003 1:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I am hooked on this stuff! I have extremely dry skin and always have, but as I am aging it is getting to be a nightmare. Until I finally broke down and tried this stuff (way too pricey but worth every penny)I have had to live with an itchy, stinging, flaky face within an hour of cleaning and moisturizing. Immediately after using this I could feel a 100% difference in my skin. With consistent use I think it is fair to say it changes the molecular structure of your skin (is that really possible??), at least it makes it feel and look like new skin. Although it is very expensive if you use it sparingly a 2 oz. jar can get you through the rough months. It took me awhile to learn not to overuse it, it just makes you feel so good you think more is better - but that really isn't the case at all. I will not live another Winter without it, now I just have to try the lotion for the warmer months!

on 4/10/2003 12:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love, love, love this product!!!But...I don't wear it everynight. I have acne prone skin and am using meds that make my skin dry and scaly. Creme de La Mer has really helped my skin look "normal" again. I use it 1-2 times a week and very lightly. An ounce will probably last me forever. I also love the smell, it reminds me of my mother.

***Update***I'm now on my second jar (initial purchase was 6-7 months ago) and swear I will be a customer for LIFE! After the 6-7 months I've been using this product I've noticed a signficant difference in my skin. It "glows" brighter and my dark spots/scars have faded.