MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

on 3/12/2010 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Definitely my HG foundation. Love the consistency, the ease with which it blends, and of course the build-ability. I have fairly dry skin, and I really like that this is one of the few foundations that doesn't highlight any dry patches. I have been using this for 3 years, and I keep coming back to it. The coverage is perfect too! Just enough to hide all imperfections, but never so much that you look cakey or extremely "made-up". I have applied this product with my fingers, with various foundation brushes, as well as with sponges, and all have worked for me, Also, I have fairly sensitive skin, and I have never had a problem with this breaking me out causing any sort of irritations.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

FINALLY my HG foundation! I have been looking long and hard for this. I received this in a swap (nw15) it is absolutely perfect. I have been using Revlon Colorstay for YEARS and always felt pretty good about it, but it just wasn't QUITE right for some reason. Now I know it is because it wasn't the right color for me like my new MAC fluid is and it never sunk into skin like this does too. It blends so much easier than Revlon and the color of it and the satin finish literally makes it look like my own skin (only flawless). I definitely recommend trying to get it in a swap to try it out since it is a bit pricey.

on 3/12/2010 12:38:00 PM

After testing other foundations of a similar price range, I felt compelled to delete my original post and give a more accurate review. I think a lot of people try this produce because MAC is a starter-friendly makeup brand that doesn't overwhelm you like Sephora does. Some people may "get used" to their products, thinking it's "as good as it gets". While MAC has some outstanding products, this is not one of them. For the price you can get MUCH better foundations. This is not worth it. If you don't want to spend too much on foundations, the Revlon Colourstay and the Rimmel Longlasting are perform better than this at a fraction of the cost.

Pros
-high coverage. Basically camouflages your natural skin colour and most discolourations, at least initially.
- would last a while. due to the high coverage, you can probably make one last almost a year with frequent use.

Cons
- OXIDIZES. I have oily-combination skin and this product often turns 2-3 shades more orange on me with wear. This doesn't happen with the MUFE HD or Mat Velvet.
- too cakey. I think the powder content of this foundation is too high. It is almost impossible to get it to look not mask-like.
- no oil tolerance/absorption. You'd have to use a good primer or lots of setting powder to prevent this from fading/oxidizing if you have oily areas on your face.
- shade range. YES there are lots of colour range. However there are only NC, NW and some N, C shades. None of them really accomodated me. N was too neutral, NW too pink. The closest range was NC for me, but even this had TOO MUCH YELLOW in the formulation.
- price. since you pretty much have to get a pump to use this product hygienically, it comes to around $40. This is around the same price as the MUFE foundations I've tried, which are much better.

on 3/9/2010 1:43:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is the best foundation that I have used so far in my life. I put it on with a MAC 109 brush to achieve a flawless look. My colour is NC25.

I will be getting this product again

on 3/8/2010 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Hi there,
I bought this product last year, I think in the beginning of December. I have used it a very few times, because I dont wear make up every day. I do like this foundation, but I think I got a bit too yellow color-its NC 20. The shop keeper offer me NW 15 but I thought that it would look too pink on me. So the NC 20 is ok, when I have tanned my face a bit. Next time I will try the one I was recomended. So the bottle comes without the pump, if you want that, you have to pay some extra money. It is quite smooth and liquid. It stays on a long time. My only problem is how to put it on, with fingers or sponge, I have tried both, but it still does not stay even. In my first oportunity I will buy a brush and hope that that helps me a lot.

on 3/8/2010 1:11:00 AM

I absolutely love this foundation! It has awesome coverage, which I need, and didn't break me out like a lot of people say it does for them. The only problem, however, is that I'm an NC15 and it's still too dark for me, and I noticed it got darker the longer I've had it. Besides that, it works great. I just wish the color was right, and that it came with a pump...

on 3/7/2010 11:45:00 PM

I was very hesitant to try this foundation as I have had very problematic skin in the past, and with all the negative reviews about breakouts I was afraid! However, I finally bit the bullet and decided to try it out. I have this product in NC 20, and absolutely love it! I have been using it for about 5 months and I do not find that it breaks me out at all (and I have acne-prone skin)!. I like the coverage and the staying power of the foundation, no complaints about the product itself! However, the packaging of the product is not that hygienic or easy to use (you pour too much!) without the pump! I think if you are going to buy this product you need to buy the pump, it makes it so much easier!

on 3/7/2010 2:01:00 PM

when people talked about breaking out after using this i didnt pay attention because i never had that with anything but guess what.! it did it too me.. i was amazed because nothing , ever has... i didnt think it was this so i kept on using it and god it got worse (i gave it to a friend).... the point is: GET A GOOD 2/3 WEEK SAMPLE- keep going back b4 you lash out to buy it

any way the good side: it does have good coverage and is good for the price. i would have used it if i could... another thing is the colour- after it dried it it seemed to be a shade or two darker so if you can wait a while before you add your bronzer or your going to end up looking like hot chocolate

on 3/7/2010 1:46:00 PM

I wanted to like this product, but I didn't. Right when I put it on, 2 hours later, I noticed that little bumps started to appear on my forehead. I'm glad I only got a sample.

I am 39 yo, am Asian, combo skin, pink undertone. I tried a sample of this product at the MAC Nordstrom. I returned my Dior Capture Total and went straight to the MAC section because one of my coworkers only uses MAC. The SA was very nice and gave me a makeover with the MAC products. She told me I was an NC20. After she was done, and I looked in the mirror, I was agape with horror as I looked like a madeup doll. I told her it felt like a mask. The SA told me I would get used to the feeling and it would become more natural feeling. I had just used Dior Capture, see my review, and it felt like a second skin but this product did not. She gave me two samples, one for NC20 and NC25 and I bought some brushes, concealer, and highlighter. It was over $250! The most I have ever spent on makeup and I hadn't even bought the foundation.
The small amount of foundation she gave me lasted about two weeks. I still have some left over that is unused.
PROS:
A little goes a long way, I swear that whole bottle would last me six months. The foundation is very thick so I only put a pea sized amount on face with either the stippling brush or concealer brush.
Even though I bought concealer, I didn't need it. This stuff hides everything, it is full coverage.
Easy to put on and you can take your time, does not dry out quickly. I used a stippling brush, foundation brush, and my fingers and it all looked great.
For me, it lasted a long time, over 12 hours. I have graduate school after work so sometimes I have 14 hour days and it still looked great at the end of the say without having to refresh my makeup.
CONS:
It felt like a mask and I felt I had makeup on. Perhaps if I hadn't just used Dior, this would have been normal to me, but because I had the natural no makeup feel with Dior, this was really unacceptable.
Make me breakout. I have several pimples that continue today on my chin from this product. I also used the Mac primer and sunscreen too and maybe the combo was too much for my skin.
The color just didn't look natural or match my skin. My neck is pale while my face has uneven tones of pale color and tan color. I tried both the NC20 and NC25 and liked neither color. It could be because the color does not melt into the skin but sits atop the skin.
I looked like one of those porcelain chinese dolls! Arggh! I hate it when Asian women have foundation that is too white so they can have the coveted porcelain skin even though it is not their natural skin tone. Then their necks are tan and it doesn't match their face.
Yes, I got alot of compliments from coworkers and others who said I looked "great". But I don't look like myself. I know what I look like and this was a "doll" version of me. That is not what I want in a foundation. I want to look like myself but with a better complexion, not a fake Barbie doll lookalike! Arghh, gross.
This foundations appears to really polarize people, either you love it or hate it.
I don't have much experience with makeup but I did not like it. For me, foundation should feel natural, like a second skin. It should also be good for your skin too and not cause more blemishes.
My advice: get a sample and try it first before you spend your good hard earned money on this stuff.