December 17, 2014 | 1753 users online

Mascara - BeneFit Cosmetics - They're Real

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2012 2:52:00 PM More reviews by Jadejetley

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Really nice mascara, a little pricey but lasts well. Spiked brush which I prefer.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2012 2:40:00 PM More reviews by Cherry2000

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I absolutely hated this mascara. Spiky rubber brush that does nothing to separate lashes. Gloopy, clumpy formula that gave me spidery looking lashes. No lengthening effect, no curl. Bleah! Back to Sephora this mess goes!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2012 3:44:00 AM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I picked this up on a whim during Sephora's Chic Week sale a couple weeks ago and have been loving it ever since. I rarely buy high end mascaras as there are so many good ones available from budget brands that it usually feels like a waste paying extra for higher end product. Even when I do buy a pricier mascara and enjoy it, I rarely like it enough to repurchase it when I run out. They're Real may just prove itself as an exception for my mascara buying habits!

They're Real! is described by Benefit as a lengthening, defining, curling and volumizing mascara, and it does a good job delivering on most of those promises. It doesn't appear to do any curling on its own, but it does hold curl well which is good enough for me since I always use an eyelash curler anyway. It also adds some fairly impressive volume and length to my lashes. Now do they look like I'm wearing falsies? No not quite, though this mascara delivers better for me on this promise than any other mascara I've tried before it that promised the same. It's not a lack of length or volume that really separates my mascaraed lashes from faux lashes, but the noticeable texture of mascara. Mascaraed lashes just never look as smooth as bare lashes or faux lashes, and They're Real! is no different in that respect. But it does still give me drag queen worthy length and thickness in two coats, which it does without smudging, clumping or flaking. What else I can really ask for?

The brush is pretty awesome. It's a standard rubber bristled brush you see on lots of mascaras these days, but has the added bonus of a few long spiky bristles protruding from the pointy end. These are great for getting at the lashes in the very inner and outer corners, though they must be used with caution as the end often picks up more product than the rest of the brush. You can wind up with goopy corners if you aren't careful!

The only downside I find on this mascara is that it doesn't build very well. If you try to use more than two coats, your lashes are likely to start looking kind of crusty. I imagine this would be a real problem for girl with short or sparse lashes. I've been using Revitalash for the past 7 months (that stuff is amazing!) so I have a good base with which to work with, but I might have been disappointed has I tried this mascara out on the lashes I was born with a year ago. I think the results would have still been good (or at least decent), but not 5-star worthy. Still, given how happy I am with what it does for me now, I don't like marking off for this. It's definitely been a good purchase for me!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2012 7:32:00 PM More reviews by summrgirl720

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This takes my HG mascara, CoverGirl Lash Blast Volume (orange) up 10 notches! HOWEVER, the price is too much IMO. You save if you buy 2, $10 4.0gram travel sizes for $20 than spending the full $22 for 8.5grams. So i just buy minis :) they last a while too! and it's easier to get very close up to my lashes with the shorter handle!

If you love CG LashBlast or Lash Perfection... chances are you will like this. Just get the travel mini. ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2012 7:01:00 PM More reviews by AmyNicola

Firstly, I absolutely love this mascara! I have used this mascara since it came out and have repurchased it about 5 times! I use it all the time, it can be a bit much during the day but that's easily solved by applying a bit less. For a night out, you couldn't go wrong with this mascara, it's buildable and you can make your lashes look amazing in next to no time at all. I would definitely recommend this mascara, both my sisters and I use it and I am constantly recommending it to everyone I know. By far my favourite make up product ever!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2012 1:46:00 AM More reviews by Halloqueen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used Badgal for years and loved it, so I thought I'd try this, I usually like big brushes, and it took some getting used to the thin applicator, The end of the brush has some longer "spikes" to separate any clumps, but I found that just deposited more mascara. I also didn't curl first. I found this did curl my lashes a little, but nothing amazing, I think I will like it better once I curl my lashes before I apply, and not use more than two coats, and apply quickly. The formula seems very similar to Badgal, however you don't have the big fluffy brush to separate lashes. On my short sparse lashes, I found it did add volume, but didn't add much length, I don't think I'll dish out the $22 again. Too many others to try,EDIT: Dropped another lippie after wearing this for awhile. It's a mess. The formula is gloppy, stays sticky and flakes like crazy. It's almost impossible to get it all off, and I wake up with raccoon eyes. I've also noticed that I have much more eyelash loss while using this...which I don't need as my lashes are thinning anyway. I stopped using it. I might mention that I never had these problems with Bad Gal mascara, but it's been awhile, so it's possible they changed the formula. Don't waste the cash.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by tommysaunt

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Although I've often been disappointed by Benefit products in the past I think I've finally found my HG mascara! I actually had more than one person ask me if I had applied false lashes, that's how dramatic the difference is! I had no issues with smearing clumping or flaking and they looked as good 12 hours after I applied as they did the moment I first applied it. Believe the hype! I will absolutely repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2012 10:40:00 PM More reviews by msdi2u

"Don't waste your money." That's the nicest thing I can say about this mascara. It is an overpriced, over-hyped, ordinary mascara; that performs no better than a more, reasonably-priced, drugstore brand of mascara. Personally, I prefer L'Oreal Telescopic Clean Definition or Maybelline Lash Stiletto over this one by BeneFit. The brush on They're Real is large, bulky & awkward, and it delivers more clumps than it does volume or length. Very disappointing for the price. I'd never repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2012 9:32:00 PM More reviews by havear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I purchased this product after having my eyelash extensions removed after having them filled for almost nine months. Needless to say, I was very nervous having them removed and wasn't sure what my lashes were going to look like.

I am using this product overtop the DiorShow lash primer (Maximizer Lash Plumping). I could not be happier. This duo makes my lashes look amazing ... helps to fill the gap between my old incredibly long and thick extensions because these two make my natural lashes look almost over the top. Perfect.

I like over-the-top lashes even though the rest of my makeup is minimal.

Btw, I have tried almost every premium mascara out there.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2012 7:38:00 PM More reviews by FionaB16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

When I first tried this product I fell in love! I already have quiet long eyelashes and this just made them look even longer, the brush is great and it really does get people asking "are they real?"
However, after a few weeks I realised it started to become quite dry & then the de-clumper broke meaning the brush was now completely covered in mascara! I thought it must have been a one off thing but the exact same thing happened again the next time I bought the product. This was quite disappointing considering it costs nearly 20.
However, apart from that & the price it is a really good product, I would recommend it if you want a really dramatic look and don't mind spending that little bit extra.