Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

3.7

Water, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Yellow 5 (Ci 19140).

on 2/4/2008 7:11:00 PM

This stuff is wonderful. I have extremely fair, extremely sensitive skin (even Cetaphil gives me hives), and this is quite literally the first cleanser I've ever been able to use that doesn't irritate my skin.

I got this as part of the Makeup Optional kit, and while I'm usually skeptical of packaging claims (wear less makeup! smoother and brighter skin!), I'm sitting at my desk quite happily with no foundation or concealer for the first time in ages. Can't say enough good things about this line.

on 2/3/2008 8:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have only been using this for about 2 weeks and I love it so far! Eventhough it says to keep away from eyes, it is great for removing eye makeup while washing your face. I use it morning and night and it is not at all drying to my skin.

on 2/2/2008 9:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I love this cleanser! It leaves my skin soft and allows me to remove my eye-make-up effortlessly. I know some people aren't crazy about the smell, but I find it to be fresh and natural. It's gentle enough to use in the am and the pm and has done wonders for my skin ever since I started using it.

This is the best cleanser & eye makeup remover in one!! I use this everynight and while removing my eye makeup, it doesnt sting my eyes. It also leaves my skin feeling smooth and soft. I would recommend this to ANYONE whether they wear makeup or not.

on 1/29/2008 1:54:00 PM

Why oh why did I stray from my routine that was working for me? Damn the lure of samples!

I actually used to use Philosophy's Hope in a Jar (before I discovered what products really worked for my skin). I had a few samples of this cleanser along with the rest of my Hope in a Jar, so I decided to try that regime for awhile.

The first day my skin looked fantastic. Felt clean, rosy glow, etc. Within a few days, I had both dry patches and milia forming, and my skin's texture just did not look good.

My theory: The cleanser stripped my skin too much, and the Hope in a Jar clogs my pores more than it moisturizes.

Just for reference, I have skin that does not get zits, but major problems with milia, blackheads and enlarged pores. What works for me :
Cetaphil cleanser
Paula's Choice 2% BHA at night
Jojoba oil as moisturizer

I will never stray from that regime again. I only gave it a 3 because this it not a horrible product - it could be right for some people's skin - just not mine! continued >>

on 1/29/2008 12:38:00 AM

Hate this product. I have really good skin on average- clear, small pores and can usually kill whatever with a spot treatment. I swear this stuff made my pores huge on my forehead and chin- plus a crazy amount of new blackheads popped up! I tried the cleaners for almost two months hoping that my skin was just purging. Nope, my skin just hates it.

No matter how long I washed my face for- I could never get my make-up off at all. I would see massive amounts on my towel when I dried off.

Oh and the cap broke within two weeks.. :P

The only plus was that it is rather gentle, but I still had some problems with irritation due to that wanky smell.

on 1/28/2008 4:57:00 PM

Love this stuff really gets your face clean. Use it twice a day not harsh at all even for sensitive skin. i have a travel size for my shower and one for traveling plus nordstrom sells a big 32 oz bottle last a long time pricey but i wait and get it when they have it on sale. ive tried other things from there line but nothing else worked for me only this what a bummer face wise. But love her shower soaps and amazing grace perfume. Will buy again

on 1/26/2008 10:45:00 PM

I like the product because it cleanses my face and removes all my makeup without stripping the moisture from my face. its very easy to think this cleanser isnt doing its job because it doesnt foam and its so gentle and your face actually feels kind of soft after washing it but it works very well. i have acneprone skin but it does nothing to aggrevate it. i can't say it prevents new breakouts because i still get them occasionally but im almost sure its hormonal and not product driven so if you have sensitive skin im sure this product would work for you too. plus a little goes a long way so despite the cost, it'll last a very long time.

on 1/26/2008 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

About 6 months ago a SA at Sephora talked me into buying this. I have to admit, I didn't have very high hopes for it. I was a bit turned off by the price as well, but figured I could always return it. Well, I'm now on my 2nd bottle so it's safe to say that I like it. I use a glob about the size of a quarter & massage on dry skin. Then I wet my hand and massage a little more and rinse it all off. My skin is clean without being stripped, dried out, or irritated. Other reviewers have commented about the scent of Purity - I actually like it! It's a bit unique, but I don't find it offensive at all. I will continue to purchase.

on 1/26/2008 1:00:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I tried this cleanser 3 different times over the course of 2 years. I absolutely do not like this cleanser! Each time my facial skin started breaking out about a week after starting to use it, and then, my facial skin remained in a very bad break out mode for the next two months! I don't get cystic acne but this crummy cleanser makes me get cystic acne! The ingredient list is immense and I see that there are very irritating oils in this cleanser.
The reason I kept my bottle of purity is because people rave about this cleanser so that is why I went through this debacle three times. I thought it's gotta work sometime? Not! The bottle of this horrible is gone from my house and I will never ever use the Philosophy purity cleanser again. Enough said.