January 27, 2015 | 1006 users online

Eye Primer - Too Faced - Shadow Insurance

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2008 1:21:00 AM More reviews by pink1223

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Sorry, I haven't tried the UDPP, so this isn't any real comparison. However, I read the reviews on both when I was looking for a new eye primer (mac paints were failing me, I thought there must be something better), and I decided to purchase this over UDPP because basically the packaging alone. The squeeze tube is nice. And I read it blends shadows better and that is always a plus, I thought. Anyway, this product definitely does the job for me, I love it! I still have my eyeshadow on just as great as it was twelve hours ago when I first put applied! I'm so happy. It is definitely a step up from what I used to use. My eyelids to get oily over time for sure, but I don't think they are super oily, so this products did the job for me just fine. It did make my shadow more vibrant looking, it looked freshly applied for hours after. I am super pleased and will definitely purchase again, but I'm pretty sure it will last me a while!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2008 9:19:00 PM More reviews by Xiriah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've tried UDPP and this and I think I prefer UDPP. My eyelids tend to get really oily during the day around summertime and I feel that Too Faced's Shadow Insurance doesn't do that good a job of making my eyeshadow last. I'm not sure if I applied my eyeshadow with too light of a hand that day or if it was the different weather conditions when I compared the two, but I just felt that this didn't do as well of a job as UDPP when it came to making my eyeshadow last. I do appreciate the convenient tube the product is contained in and it does make eyeshadow last better than not using any primer at all on your eyelids, but I don't like the consistency that much. It kind of feels...oily. :/ (I'm guessing that it could be dimethicone in the formula.) After applied, it has a rather satin-y feeling on the eyelid, but it just doesn't work that well for me. I do feel like giving it another chance though. One thing that I feel is true when comparing this to UDPP is I think it is easier to blend eyeshadows using TFSI.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2008 7:38:00 PM More reviews by ginasuicide

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this as a deluxe sample.. honestly, I cant really tell the difference between this and UDPP. I will use them both on some days (one on each eye) and they both go on the same way, absorb same, make shadows stay the same. The only difference is the packaging, the squeeze tube is better . Ive not seen the full size of the TF one, but one thing with UDPP is even after sawing the tube in half to dig the rest out, you still get quite a bit for the $16 you pay.

looks like TF is .35 tube
UDPP is .34

so I would say they are pretty even. once I finish my current jar of UD, if they havent put theirs into a tube by then (which is in the works from what Ive read) , I'll probably repurchase this one instead.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2008 2:02:00 AM More reviews by desertmom4

Not bad for an e/s primer. I have only used MAC paints and MAC PP's, but the PP's always creased on me whereas the paints ( tube) didn't. Out of boredom, I wanted to try a diff e/s primer, and TFSI was the one I decided to try. I only need a small dot of this stuff as it comes out of a squeeze tube ( hygenic). I use my finger and apply it over my entire lid up to brow bone. I let it set for 30 seconds ( read this is what your supposed to do by the maker, on the TF website) and then apply my e/s. It is essentially colorless, which I like as that way I know whichever e/s color I use the color won't be altered, whereas if I used a colored e/s primer sometimes the actual color will change a bit. I found my e/s easy to blend, and colors seemed true to their shade. My e/s did wear all day ( good 8 hours), and did not crease but by the end of the day it didn't look as fresh and vibrant as it did when I 1st applied it (I don't have oily lids for referrence). Overall, not a bad e/s primer, I do like it and will repurchase when/if I run out. It cost about $17, which isn't too bad considering it does what it claims...still love my MAC paints though ;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2008 12:41:00 AM More reviews by FastKitty99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Thank you, fellow MUA reviewers! I had never heard of this product until I read the reviews on this board. I thought UDPP was a great product, but the ridiculous "genie bottle" is about the worst packaging I can possibly imagine, and I refuse to "saw" open the bottle to get at least 50% of the product out!

Thank goodness the folks at Too Faced had the good sense to come up with a more sanitary, efficient way to dispense their product. This primer is just as effective as UDPP, but has superior packaging. Ladies, if you don't want to mess around with the absurd UDPP packaging any longer, give this a try, I think you will be impressed - this is my favorite eye shadow primer - comparable to UDPP quality, but MUCH better packaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2008 11:34:00 PM More reviews by xangelicx9

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The staying power is so good it scares me a little. Like all the other TFSI lovers, a little goes a long way. Its smooth and creamy and the tube is really pretty. I had the UBPP but it packaging was so weird and funky. TFSI > UDPP anday. <3.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2008 11:15:00 PM More reviews by TakenByHim

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a great alternative for people who do not like Urban Decay Primer Potion. As you can tell from the pictures, the packaging is more efficient and IMO, it is a lot better for people with less oily lids. Because my lids aren't oily like most people's, Urban Decay is very drying for me. It makes blending very difficult and sometimes impossible so I end up with harsh lines, just bad looking eye makeup. On the other hand, Shadow insurance is very creamy and my skin just absorbs it. A very tiny amount goes a very long way. I use less than a rice grain size per eye. It enhances the color of my shadows without drastically changing it too much. The best thing about this is that it's so much easier to blend with it because it's not so drying. I don't experience any creasing nor fading hours later! I'm so glad I gave this product a try. I highly recommend it for people with drier skin. It's a bit pricey but it's worth it.

Edit: 02/02- I have to take off two lippies. Over the past few weeks, it's been separating. If you don't shake and slap this package around before using, you'll get a bunch of clear oily liquid when you squeeze out product. I also notice that my eyeshadow is not as longlasting as it used to be unless I use a large amount but when I use a large amount, like UDPP it seems harder to blend eyeshadow. It seems to work better if not used daily. I still think it's better than UDPP but I would not rebuy this. I am looking into trying something new.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2008 10:38:00 PM More reviews by lucky7wedding

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff. I mean, I love it. I totally agree with previous poster...Very little goes a long way. Tube lends itself to sanitary dispensing with less wasted product. My eyelids are usually fairly oily, and by the end of the day, I generally have eye shadow left in the creases only...But not any more! My eye shadow goes on smoother, and looks perfect all day long. I do not know how I have gone so long without this stuff. Will definitely repurchase. And that's saying a lot for me! :) It's a staple.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2008 3:34:00 AM More reviews by boogiedisease

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I generally don't have a need for eyeshadow primers, but I purchased this one as I'm due to be vacationing very close to the equator this summer... and I know how things can get if I'm outside in the sun for any extended period of time. I can't go without makeup, either.

I had tried the coveted Primer Potion by Urban Decay a while back. No bueno. Even after countless applications, I found it to be too drying, with a quick dry time-- hard to evenly blend out, and my shadow seemed to be a complete pain to blend. Yuck, it looked like an amateur applied my eye makeup every time I used it.

Gladly, it was only a small sample. I had almost purchased it without trying it... that would have been tragic.

I've had a real problem with the applicator wand. Yes, I suppose that one could somehow dispense it onto a separate brush... still, what a pain that would be!

After consulting P'ville about Shadow Insurance, I decided to take the plunge. I liked how it comes in a tube-- more sanitary, and less product wasted, in my opinion.
This stuff glides on like a dream, and becomes completely invisible on my lid (I could always see UDPP when I applied it). No crepey look to my eyelid, unlike with UDPP.

My shadow blends so nicely! Not only that, but the colour of the eye shadow seemed much more intense than normal. I just took a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and I like what I see. I applied my makeup over eight hours ago, and my eyes look like they were just done.

Holds up nicely through heat and sweat!

I'm sure this will work just fine on those with oily eyelids, but for those of us who don't, Shadow Insurance is the appropriate alternative to UDPP.

Excellent product! I will definitely buy again... if it's still being made by the time I run out, a long time from now. Only a little is needed... with the tube and it's nice, pointy little tip, it's easy to get just the right amount required to do the job. I know this is going to last me a long time, so it's definitely worth the money.

Great product, I'm very happy that I purchased it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2008 8:41:00 AM More reviews by vanessa713

FEATURES:
*Concentrated - the size of a rain drop covers the entire lid.
*Perfect for use with both powder and cream eye shadows.
*Unique binders lock down eyeshadow pigments for amazingly long wear.
*Create shadow intensity for smoky eyes by placing Shadow Insurance on lids, wait 30 seconds, then apply your favorite shadow.

I really like eyeshadow primers, as they help to extend the wear and look of my eyeshadows. I bounce from brand to brand, rarely staying faithful to one brand or formula for very long. I recently tried Too Faced's newest primer offering, Too Faced Shadow Insurance. It's a really great primer, and is one that I'm glad that I purchased - it is now my HG shadow primer.

Too Faced Shadow Insurance is a creamy, smooth eyeshadow primer that comes in a small, pale blue squeeze tube. It has a pearly, pale blue cap that screws off and on. Removing the cap reveals a very narrow opening, much like an ointment tube. When you squeeze the tube, the flesh-colored primer comes out of this tiny opening. This product comes in one size, which is .35 oz.

Ingredients (taken from packaging):
Isododecane, talc, cyclopentasiloxane, disteardimonium hectorite, trimethylsiloxysilicate, glyceryl triethylhexanoate, polyethylene, trihydroxystearin, sorbitan sesquioleate, isopropyl lanolate, VP/eicosene copolymer, propylene carbonate, dimethicone, PEG-40 stearate, phenoxyethanol, tocopherol. May Contain: Mica, bismuth oxychloride, titanium dioxide, iron oxides.

I like many of the Too Faced products I try, so I figured that their Shadow Insurance would be another winner. As it turns out, this is a great product - and one that is lasting me quite a long time.
Too Faced Shadow Insurance has a thick-ish, creamy texture that is easy to work with. But before I start discussing how this product performs, I should say that this stuff is easy to dispense from the tube. After you use the tube a couple of times, you will learn that you need to squeeze the tube just a little in order to get the right amount of shadow out of the tube. Over the course of a few months, as the tube becomes more empty, you will have to squeeze it more from the bottom in order to use all of it, though.

It takes just a very, very tiny amount of Too Faced Shadow Insurance to cover my entire eyelid up to my brow bone. I'm not even talking about the size of a pea - I'm talking about the size of a grain of sand! A little goes a very long way with this product. A good way to know that you are using too much is to apply it all over your eyelid (and up to your brow bone if you want it that far) in a very thin layer, and blink your eyes a few times. If you can see a crease in the Too Faced Shadow Insurance that you just applied, you applied too much. You will want to apply it in a very thin layer evenly - almost to the point where you are wondering if you have enough of the product on your eyelid. Trust me - less is more with this eyeshadow primer.

The color of this product is a fairly pale flesh tone. When I apply it to my eyelids, it makes me look more awake. I then apply my eyeshadow (usually a pressed powder eyeshadow) over the Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I once heard Laura Geller (a makeup artist not affiliated with this brand or product) say on QVC that applying a good eyeshadow primer on the eyelid is a good way to make the color of your eyeshadow appear on your eyelids the way it appears in its container because the primer evens out the color of the skin on your eyelids. She was definitely right - and she didn't say this, but I think that making the eyelid more pale by applying a pale primer will also make the color of an eyeshadow more vivid and more true to the way it looks in its compact or container. Definitely when using Too Faced Shadow Insurance, my eyeshadows look much more vivid and my eyes look more awake and bright.

There are other eyeshadow primers out there (UDPP) that make blending two or more eyeshadow shades difficult when applied over the primer. I don't have that problem when I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance. It grabs and holds onto the shadow, but it doesn't make blending difficult. I love the way that this eyeshadow primer prevents my eyeshadow from wearing off halfway through the day (even in humid environments). My eyeshadow looks just as freshly applied all day as it does when I first apply it. I don't get any creasing at all, unless I over-applied the Too Faced Shadow Insurance first. Then some of the shadow will settle into the crease that is made with the primer. But this is easily preventable and is not a problem for me.

A note about cream eyeshadows - this eyeshadow primer will also hold your cream eyeshadows in place very well. I wear pressed powder shadows more often but have used cream shadows on a number of occasions with this primer and have had very good results with no creasing or fading.

Overall, I love this eyeshadow primer. It holds my eyeshadow in place very well, a little goes a very long way, and prevents creasing and colour fade. I get at least eight or ten hours of wear from my eyeshadow without having to reapply it when I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance. Although I rarely buy the same primer twice, I will definitely consider buying this one again when it's gone! I also like the fact that one tube will last for months. I've been using the tube I have now for over three months - probably closer to four months.

33 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No