November 29, 2014 | 1130 users online

Eye Primer - Too Faced - Shadow Insurance

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2008 10:38:00 PM More reviews by lucky7wedding

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff. I mean, I love it. I totally agree with previous poster...Very little goes a long way. Tube lends itself to sanitary dispensing with less wasted product. My eyelids are usually fairly oily, and by the end of the day, I generally have eye shadow left in the creases only...But not any more! My eye shadow goes on smoother, and looks perfect all day long. I do not know how I have gone so long without this stuff. Will definitely repurchase. And that's saying a lot for me! :) It's a staple.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2008 3:34:00 AM More reviews by boogiedisease

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I generally don't have a need for eyeshadow primers, but I purchased this one as I'm due to be vacationing very close to the equator this summer... and I know how things can get if I'm outside in the sun for any extended period of time. I can't go without makeup, either.

I had tried the coveted Primer Potion by Urban Decay a while back. No bueno. Even after countless applications, I found it to be too drying, with a quick dry time-- hard to evenly blend out, and my shadow seemed to be a complete pain to blend. Yuck, it looked like an amateur applied my eye makeup every time I used it.

Gladly, it was only a small sample. I had almost purchased it without trying it... that would have been tragic.

I've had a real problem with the applicator wand. Yes, I suppose that one could somehow dispense it onto a separate brush... still, what a pain that would be!

After consulting P'ville about Shadow Insurance, I decided to take the plunge. I liked how it comes in a tube-- more sanitary, and less product wasted, in my opinion.
This stuff glides on like a dream, and becomes completely invisible on my lid (I could always see UDPP when I applied it). No crepey look to my eyelid, unlike with UDPP.

My shadow blends so nicely! Not only that, but the colour of the eye shadow seemed much more intense than normal. I just took a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and I like what I see. I applied my makeup over eight hours ago, and my eyes look like they were just done.

Holds up nicely through heat and sweat!

I'm sure this will work just fine on those with oily eyelids, but for those of us who don't, Shadow Insurance is the appropriate alternative to UDPP.

Excellent product! I will definitely buy again... if it's still being made by the time I run out, a long time from now. Only a little is needed... with the tube and it's nice, pointy little tip, it's easy to get just the right amount required to do the job. I know this is going to last me a long time, so it's definitely worth the money.

Great product, I'm very happy that I purchased it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2008 8:41:00 AM More reviews by vanessa713

FEATURES:
*Concentrated - the size of a rain drop covers the entire lid.
*Perfect for use with both powder and cream eye shadows.
*Unique binders lock down eyeshadow pigments for amazingly long wear.
*Create shadow intensity for smoky eyes by placing Shadow Insurance on lids, wait 30 seconds, then apply your favorite shadow.

I really like eyeshadow primers, as they help to extend the wear and look of my eyeshadows. I bounce from brand to brand, rarely staying faithful to one brand or formula for very long. I recently tried Too Faced's newest primer offering, Too Faced Shadow Insurance. It's a really great primer, and is one that I'm glad that I purchased - it is now my HG shadow primer.

Too Faced Shadow Insurance is a creamy, smooth eyeshadow primer that comes in a small, pale blue squeeze tube. It has a pearly, pale blue cap that screws off and on. Removing the cap reveals a very narrow opening, much like an ointment tube. When you squeeze the tube, the flesh-colored primer comes out of this tiny opening. This product comes in one size, which is .35 oz.

Ingredients (taken from packaging):
Isododecane, talc, cyclopentasiloxane, disteardimonium hectorite, trimethylsiloxysilicate, glyceryl triethylhexanoate, polyethylene, trihydroxystearin, sorbitan sesquioleate, isopropyl lanolate, VP/eicosene copolymer, propylene carbonate, dimethicone, PEG-40 stearate, phenoxyethanol, tocopherol. May Contain: Mica, bismuth oxychloride, titanium dioxide, iron oxides.

I like many of the Too Faced products I try, so I figured that their Shadow Insurance would be another winner. As it turns out, this is a great product - and one that is lasting me quite a long time.
Too Faced Shadow Insurance has a thick-ish, creamy texture that is easy to work with. But before I start discussing how this product performs, I should say that this stuff is easy to dispense from the tube. After you use the tube a couple of times, you will learn that you need to squeeze the tube just a little in order to get the right amount of shadow out of the tube. Over the course of a few months, as the tube becomes more empty, you will have to squeeze it more from the bottom in order to use all of it, though.

It takes just a very, very tiny amount of Too Faced Shadow Insurance to cover my entire eyelid up to my brow bone. I'm not even talking about the size of a pea - I'm talking about the size of a grain of sand! A little goes a very long way with this product. A good way to know that you are using too much is to apply it all over your eyelid (and up to your brow bone if you want it that far) in a very thin layer, and blink your eyes a few times. If you can see a crease in the Too Faced Shadow Insurance that you just applied, you applied too much. You will want to apply it in a very thin layer evenly - almost to the point where you are wondering if you have enough of the product on your eyelid. Trust me - less is more with this eyeshadow primer.

The color of this product is a fairly pale flesh tone. When I apply it to my eyelids, it makes me look more awake. I then apply my eyeshadow (usually a pressed powder eyeshadow) over the Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I once heard Laura Geller (a makeup artist not affiliated with this brand or product) say on QVC that applying a good eyeshadow primer on the eyelid is a good way to make the color of your eyeshadow appear on your eyelids the way it appears in its container because the primer evens out the color of the skin on your eyelids. She was definitely right - and she didn't say this, but I think that making the eyelid more pale by applying a pale primer will also make the color of an eyeshadow more vivid and more true to the way it looks in its compact or container. Definitely when using Too Faced Shadow Insurance, my eyeshadows look much more vivid and my eyes look more awake and bright.

There are other eyeshadow primers out there (UDPP) that make blending two or more eyeshadow shades difficult when applied over the primer. I don't have that problem when I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance. It grabs and holds onto the shadow, but it doesn't make blending difficult. I love the way that this eyeshadow primer prevents my eyeshadow from wearing off halfway through the day (even in humid environments). My eyeshadow looks just as freshly applied all day as it does when I first apply it. I don't get any creasing at all, unless I over-applied the Too Faced Shadow Insurance first. Then some of the shadow will settle into the crease that is made with the primer. But this is easily preventable and is not a problem for me.

A note about cream eyeshadows - this eyeshadow primer will also hold your cream eyeshadows in place very well. I wear pressed powder shadows more often but have used cream shadows on a number of occasions with this primer and have had very good results with no creasing or fading.

Overall, I love this eyeshadow primer. It holds my eyeshadow in place very well, a little goes a very long way, and prevents creasing and colour fade. I get at least eight or ten hours of wear from my eyeshadow without having to reapply it when I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance. Although I rarely buy the same primer twice, I will definitely consider buying this one again when it's gone! I also like the fact that one tube will last for months. I've been using the tube I have now for over three months - probably closer to four months.

32 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2008 2:14:00 PM More reviews by hp11989

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Overall rating: This stuff rocks my HG requirements! I even returned my back-up UDPP after using this, and that had been my HG up until now. I like the consistency as well as the delivery (tube vs. wand). It's easier to apply; it doesn't dry out my eyelids; and I can get every last bit of it (no wastage).
Price: A tad pricey at $17 (a bit more than UDPP), but totally worth it.
Packaging: Great aqua blue regular squeeze tube (no wastage).
Would I buy again: Sure would!
UPDATE 11/23/10: I found this product to be too watery, even when I shook the tube before squeezing. I now use E.L.F. Mineral Eyeshadow Primer, Urban Decay Primer Potion, or -- for an extra punch -- Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy. I have a similar product from Hi-Fi Cosmetics, but I haven't tried it yet.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2008 11:22:00 PM More reviews by MsLips

Love!! More brands that make eye primers need to think like this...make a tube packaged primer so it's good to the last drop! This is a fantastic eye primer that really keeps yer shadow on from dusk til dawn. I don't like to use it with loose eyeshadows/pigment because it doesn't hold as well and they don't show as vibrant on. But for natural looks this is def great. I got this so i could use it on clients for sanitary purposes, i use it as well and have no prob with it. It comes in a very cute mint green tube. 17 bucks is not bad since you get a lot of product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2008 7:14:00 AM More reviews by filmart

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

This product seemed so much like Lumene's shadow base for me. It worked okay for about 4-6 hours, but then made my eyelids feel oily and appear shiny.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2008 5:40:00 PM More reviews by oreo0303

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

bought this from sephora when it first came out (i believe udpp was out of stock) and was very disappointed! i only tried it once and immediately returned it the next day. maybe i didnt give it a chance but it made little difference on or off. my shadows did not smudge any less when i used it! i have extremely oily lids though so maybe udpp would work better for me (i havent tried it yet but plan to soon). not impressed at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2008 4:15:00 AM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is almost as fantastic as my beloved UDPP, but not quite. I'll admit that I prefer this packaging: it's more economical, that's for sure. But this is less forgiving. Once it's on, it dries quickly, and if you make a mistake with your shadow, you've got to start all over again. But it works. I would definitely buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2008 11:14:00 PM More reviews by jennhsieh

This primer is amazing. I have monolid Asian eyes, which all you Asian gals know smudge eyeliner like nobody's business. This primer kept my black eyeliner and eyeshadow on for hours and hours, even in the highest humidity. The thing you have to remember is to let it dry before you apply anything on top of it. I do wish the applicator was a little more "technologically advanced", but whatever. Great product!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/3/2008 7:03:00 AM More reviews by BeaverCleaverReturns

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was excited to try this but it ended up being a letdown for me. Yes, this is creamier than Urban Decay but it also separated a bit and was oily. It reminded me quite a bit of Lumene's eye primer both in texture and performance. I have normal skin that sometimes can get the oilies or dry patches due to weather and this product didn't make my shadows last any longer than wearing them alone. I know a lot of people complain about UDPP making shadows less blendable, but I found that it happened when I used too much of it. Using a tiny bit smoothed on w/ a taklon brush, UDPP works great. However, if you have trouble with it, I highly recommend Bare Escentual's Prime Time Eye. BE works great! It will allow ou to blend shadow better than UDPP. UDPP does edge out BE when it comes to making shadow last, but you still will make it through 6-8 hours with either one.