MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

on 3/16/2010 9:10:00 PM

I like the coverage of this foundation, but it looks rather cakey on if i dont blot a bit of it off, because I havent found a brush i really like with it yet. It also doesnt keep me from getting shiny, but if i use MAC blot powder throughout the day it seems to do the trick.

*Edit* Sooo I used my first bottle, waited a few months, then bought a new one to see if I liked it any better. I love the coverage, and the way I'm applying it doesnt look cakey, but I think its breaking me out! I've been using it for 3 days now and i have 7 or 8 new pimples. Soo dissapointing.

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I have wanted to use this product for years!! I kept reading all the positive reviews and wanted to find a foundation that was easily accessible (don't have to order online). I also wanted a color/shade that matched my HG MaryKay Medium Coverage in Bronze 507. I had a hard time finding the right shade in Studio Fix fluid so, I finally decided to just look at the bottles and find one that looked the most similar to my current HG foundation. It was NW43!! I was started, suprised and scared. I had heard to stay away from the NW shades b/c they were too red. I had tried NC45 (too light) and NC50 (too dark). A very nice SA gave me a small sample. I went home to try my new discovery and guess what, It's a perfect match!!! I'm so happy. I've been using my sample for several days now. It was not much, one of those small, round things with the black screw top, about the size of a nickel. I really like that you only need a very, very, small amount of this foundation. I only need the equivalent of a 1/2 pump to do my entire face!! I apply with my 187. I tried using my 109, but the coverage was too heavy. The 187 gives a nice sheer application. It hides all blemishes, dries to a semi-matte finish, looks smooth and natural (unless you put on too much) So, I will definitely purchase this once my sample is gone.

update 3/27: My sample is gone and I bought the full sized product. I just realized that I had and allergic reaction to something in this foundation. Although, I really like it. It's a nice skintone match and erases all skin imperfections, I can't wear it daily. I will save for special occasions or photographs. I left 5 lippies b/c it is a great proudct just not for me. I will not repurchase.

on 3/13/2010 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I use this product as my "evening" foundation, as I find it a bit too heavy for daytime. I love it though for when I'm going out at night - my face shows up beautifully in photos. It's hard to not look photogenic! I've read some reviews about it making people break out, I haven't found that yet, although I'm only using it at most twice a week. The packaging could be better, I find that I always pour out too much foundation. A pump would have been better. But other than that, I love this foundation, and will continue to buy!

on 3/12/2010 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Definitely my HG foundation. Love the consistency, the ease with which it blends, and of course the build-ability. I have fairly dry skin, and I really like that this is one of the few foundations that doesn't highlight any dry patches. I have been using this for 3 years, and I keep coming back to it. The coverage is perfect too! Just enough to hide all imperfections, but never so much that you look cakey or extremely "made-up". I have applied this product with my fingers, with various foundation brushes, as well as with sponges, and all have worked for me, Also, I have fairly sensitive skin, and I have never had a problem with this breaking me out causing any sort of irritations.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

FINALLY my HG foundation! I have been looking long and hard for this. I received this in a swap (nw15) it is absolutely perfect. I have been using Revlon Colorstay for YEARS and always felt pretty good about it, but it just wasn't QUITE right for some reason. Now I know it is because it wasn't the right color for me like my new MAC fluid is and it never sunk into skin like this does too. It blends so much easier than Revlon and the color of it and the satin finish literally makes it look like my own skin (only flawless). I definitely recommend trying to get it in a swap to try it out since it is a bit pricey.

on 3/12/2010 12:38:00 PM

After testing other foundations of a similar price range, I felt compelled to delete my original post and give a more accurate review. I think a lot of people try this produce because MAC is a starter-friendly makeup brand that doesn't overwhelm you like Sephora does. Some people may "get used" to their products, thinking it's "as good as it gets". While MAC has some outstanding products, this is not one of them. For the price you can get MUCH better foundations. This is not worth it. If you don't want to spend too much on foundations, the Revlon Colourstay and the Rimmel Longlasting are perform better than this at a fraction of the cost.

Pros
-high coverage. Basically camouflages your natural skin colour and most discolourations, at least initially.
- would last a while. due to the high coverage, you can probably make one last almost a year with frequent use.

Cons
- OXIDIZES. I have oily-combination skin and this product often turns 2-3 shades more orange on me with wear. This doesn't happen with the MUFE HD or Mat Velvet.
- too cakey. I think the powder content of this foundation is too high. It is almost impossible to get it to look not mask-like.
- no oil tolerance/absorption. You'd have to use a good primer or lots of setting powder to prevent this from fading/oxidizing if you have oily areas on your face.
- shade range. YES there are lots of colour range. However there are only NC, NW and some N, C shades. None of them really accomodated me. N was too neutral, NW too pink. The closest range was NC for me, but even this had TOO MUCH YELLOW in the formulation.
- price. since you pretty much have to get a pump to use this product hygienically, it comes to around $40. This is around the same price as the MUFE foundations I've tried, which are much better.

on 3/9/2010 1:43:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is the best foundation that I have used so far in my life. I put it on with a MAC 109 brush to achieve a flawless look. My colour is NC25.

I will be getting this product again

on 3/8/2010 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Hi there,
I bought this product last year, I think in the beginning of December. I have used it a very few times, because I dont wear make up every day. I do like this foundation, but I think I got a bit too yellow color-its NC 20. The shop keeper offer me NW 15 but I thought that it would look too pink on me. So the NC 20 is ok, when I have tanned my face a bit. Next time I will try the one I was recomended. So the bottle comes without the pump, if you want that, you have to pay some extra money. It is quite smooth and liquid. It stays on a long time. My only problem is how to put it on, with fingers or sponge, I have tried both, but it still does not stay even. In my first oportunity I will buy a brush and hope that that helps me a lot.

on 3/8/2010 1:11:00 AM

I absolutely love this foundation! It has awesome coverage, which I need, and didn't break me out like a lot of people say it does for them. The only problem, however, is that I'm an NC15 and it's still too dark for me, and I noticed it got darker the longer I've had it. Besides that, it works great. I just wish the color was right, and that it came with a pump...

on 3/7/2010 11:45:00 PM

I was very hesitant to try this foundation as I have had very problematic skin in the past, and with all the negative reviews about breakouts I was afraid! However, I finally bit the bullet and decided to try it out. I have this product in NC 20, and absolutely love it! I have been using it for about 5 months and I do not find that it breaks me out at all (and I have acne-prone skin)!. I like the coverage and the staying power of the foundation, no complaints about the product itself! However, the packaging of the product is not that hygienic or easy to use (you pour too much!) without the pump! I think if you are going to buy this product you need to buy the pump, it makes it so much easier!