September 21, 2014 | 1071 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2007 10:41:00 AM More reviews by WenchMartha

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like it but here's what I suspect others won't: it's lavendar-herbal scented and if that bothers you in a cleanser, don't get this. It's not lathering and a lot of people do like that. It doesn't remove all my eye makeup unless I use a washcloth and rub my eyes (I use a separate remover anyway and nothing I've ever tried has removed all eye makeup in one minimal step). In those regards, this product may not be to your liking--after all, both the packaging and QVC sell (if you watch that channel), harp on the idea that this is a "one-step" cleanser. Unless you wear little to no eye makeup, I just don't see how it could be.

So why do I like it? Well, I don't find the smell offensive or bothersome. I do find that it nicely melts what face makeup I do wear and does at least remove some of my eye makeup enough to where I don't have to use excessive other remover for that. I really prefer to use it in the AM when I have a relatively "clean" face anyway. The packaging quality is fine--no complaints there. It can be pricey but given some lines out there, I think this is fairly reasonable and I will purchase this again. But if you're in the market for a non-lathering, fairly non-irritating, middle of the road cleanser, this will definitely do--but Cetaphil might just as well so try it first.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/18/2007 5:18:00 AM More reviews by Bridgetr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

At first, I could not stand the fragrance. Then it grew on me, and now I love it. But unfortunately, the cleanser leaves my face feeling tight and dry. I have oily skin that is flaky from Taz, and even if I use this after an oil cleanse, it is just too drying for me. But I wish it worked, because the fragrance has really got a hold on me! Very strange, because I found it so objectionable in the beginning.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/16/2007 8:31:00 PM More reviews by misspoppy

its good for removing makeup but i found it didn't help with breakouts. i am now using lush products and find them to be a lot better. i put i would buy it again but not really sure if i would.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2007 9:24:00 PM More reviews by buechmn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

awful awful product. A SA gave me a sample of this because she was trying to find products to help with my acne- but overall this made my cystic acne worse. Not only is the smell awful (and it burns my eyes) but it made my skin super raw and red, and made more blemishes appear on my face.
I don't think I will try any more philosophy face products.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2007 8:58:00 PM More reviews by liz2010

This is hands down the best cleanser I have EVER used. My skin is glowy and healthy afterwards and it really provides a deep down clean. I always try new products but in the end I ALWAYS go back to this. I love it :-) the price is a bit steep but for me its totally worth it!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2007 7:47:00 PM More reviews by evilspicee

I love this cleanser! It is so gentle, doesn't irritate the eyes and takes off all your makeup! I have pretty dry skin and this does not dry it out. I have used many cleansers and this is the only one that I have bought over and over. This is probably my favorite product of Philosophy.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/11/2007 1:44:00 PM More reviews by TL3031

This product broke me out after 3 days. The smell is very contradicting, this smells anything but pure. Left my face feeling like it hadn't really been washed. I enjoy a slightly tight feeling after I wash my oily acne-prone face.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2007 7:36:00 PM More reviews by Rupilicious

This is great product. It left my skin feeling really smooth afterwards. I even use this sometimes to wash my brushes.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2007 1:10:00 AM More reviews by ocd888

This is a nice and gentle cleanser for my combination/ oily T-zone skin. My skin is so smooth afterwards. I like the scent too. The packaging is average for such a wonderful cleanser.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2007 4:49:00 PM More reviews by laurentothemax

I bought this product to go with the mediocre at best hope in a jar moisturizer. Even though what i had was working just fine, and costs half as much, I just have this thing with my products all being the same brand. stupid. anyways, i've been relatively patient with this product but my skin has only gotten increasingly worse since i've been using it. My face feels dry, not exceptionally clean, and my cheeks are breaking out badly. The other morning i actually counted like 8 pimples on ONE side of my face. Today, I finally admitted defeat and switched back to my old cleanser and all the redness calmed down and no new breakouts. hazzah. I can ditch the paper bag! Fie on you philosophy.