BeneFit Cosmetics They're Real

3.4

2087 reviews

Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Polybutene, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Vp/Eicosene Copolymer, Acacia Senegal Gum, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium Edta, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Laureth-12 Sulfate, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, Sericin, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tilia Tomentosa Bud Extract, Citric Acid, Bht, Sorbic Acid. [+/-: Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Ultramarines (Ci 77007), Chromium Oxide Greens (Ci 77288), Chromium Hydroxide Green (Ci 77289), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891)]. N° 05827/N

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Even though this mascara is expensive I think that it works really well. It's definitely an item that I would use all the time if it was a little bit cheaper as I go through mascaras really quickly! The results were amazing, my eyelashes were huge, full of volume and really long. The mascara wand was really effective as it separated my eyelashes and opened up my eyes. The end of the wand is perfect for applying mascara to bottom lashes. I love most benefit makeup but this mascara is much better than the 'BadGal lash' in my opinion.

Not good - makes my eyelashes clump together, the writing on the packaging wears off really quickly. Also not good value. I would not buy this again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I have relatively long eyelashes that have little to no curl and they're quite thin also. This mascara definitely lengthens and curls my lashes, the semi-thick coating adds a nice amount of volume. I have little to no clumping with this mascara, I'm assuming it's the simplistic design of the cone shaped wand. I had very little trouble removing the product, maybe it's because I use Avon's Oil Based Eye Makeup Remover and I remove the excess with a baby wipe. Unless I find something even better, this mascara is my new go to.

on 1/31/2013 8:31:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

My current fav mascara
Makes my lashes longer and i can even skip my eyelash curler on most days
One lippie off as it does smudge after a long day
I dont find it difficult to remove as i use an oil cleanser

on 1/29/2013 9:41:00 PM

I like this mascara-- just one coat does the job for me. I swap this with BADgal lash, which I find very similar. A nice option between drugstore and high-end brands.

on 1/29/2013 10:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I had high hopes for this mascara. Unfortunately, this mascara does transfer to my brow bone. I find this hard to remove, even with an oil based eye makeup remover. I like the ball at the end of the brush, but find the actual brush a bit large. Watch out if you accidentally get your eyeball with this wand! It's quite spikey & uncomfortable. The mascara does hold a curl quite well & is quite black. The formula goes on pretty wet, but doesn't take a long time to dry. I won't repurchase.

on 1/27/2013 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

initially loved this - big fat black lashes! and then I discovered that it was impossible to remove. after using a lot of make up remover, I'd still wake up with raccoon eyes. absolutely not worth it.

on 1/27/2013 6:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I was accosted by a tiny, highly skilled Taiwanese saleswoman working at the Benefit counter while looking for eyebrow products. She was barefaced, unpretentious and forcibly applied Hello Flawless powder and They're Real mascara all over my reticent and protesting face. When I looked in the mirror I was in awe - look at my eyelashes! And my skin! I had already bought a Chanel compact that day, but I have a weakness for trying new mascara so I relented and bought the mascara despite my rule of only buying cheap mascara (as they only last a few months), partly to appease the Taiwanese saleswoman. What a sucker.

When I got home and tried it myself I was pissed - when she applied it in-store I was already wearing a lame Maybelline mascara and Clarins Double Fix, so all she had to do was dab They're Real on the tips to make my lashes look longer and thicker. Trying it myself on bare lashes, I found that it immediately uncurled them. This made me so freaking mad. Even if I tried to curl them after application (which I hate doing as it can rip out lashes) my lashes would uncurl. The formula is very wet and takes quite a while to dry. You would think that it would be smooth to apply, which it is, until you attempt more coats then the thickening formula results in clumping and minor spider lashes - I am obsessed with looking like I'm not wearing makeup so this nearly made me cry. I tried applying using the body of the wand and then the tip per the instructions, but I didn't experience better results. Perhaps I am not adept enough in mascara application but frankly it's mascara - if I have to apply 2 other products beforehand, do a little hand dance and perform a ritual in order for this to work then I'm just not interested. It also smudges throughout the day, though not chronically.

The packaging is cute but I personally don't like fat tubes that take up too much space, and it also looks a little cheap and juvenile. The tube is silver plastic with playful black and orange lettering. It's not heavy which is great. The brush consists of those rubber bristles that are spaced apart, with a ball shape at the end similar to Givenchy Phenomen'eyes to define the ends, but I found all of the above ineffectual. Too much product was picked up and deposited and there weren't enough bristles to coat and separate my lashes, making them all clump together.

AU$38 is too much for this product.

I am mixed race Australian-Asian-Portuguese with fine, straight lashes which aren't sparse nor plentiful, and which I curl with a cheap eyelash curler. I also have fairly oily skin and puffy eyes so smudging is a big problem for me - mascara usually smudges to beneath my eyes but subtly, so that nobody knows it's mascara but just assume I haven't slept for 4 days.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

As a complete mascara junkie, I was so excited to try this out. At my first use, I was like omg this is my holy grail..blah, blah, blah. I couldn't rave enough about it! I loved the length, volume, and separation it provided for my lashes, however, after using this mascara for about 2 weeks, I immediately noticed the product not working as well as it did before. This is the first and only mascara that has ever done this to me, so for that I will not be repurschasing. Overall, just a mediocre and overhyped mascara.

on 1/26/2013 5:15:00 PM

I'm not usually a fan of Benefit cosmetics but I really like this mascara. It's a good all-rounder, making lashes look defined as well as longer and thicker. One coat is enough for my daytime look and two coats makes lashes look dramatic for evenings.

Video Reviews & Tutorials