July 26, 2014 | 1872 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2008 1:58:00 AM More reviews by desertmom4

Is it just me or does Philosophy's skincare line have an awful smell to it? I received this in a kit with other Philosophy skincare items, and I was excited to try this cleanser as I read this stuff is supposed to cleanse, remove make-up, tone, and moisturize, basically an all-in-one. To begin, the texture is thick, not runny which is good as it doesn't run out of your hands when you activate it w/ water. It lathered up pretty well in my hand before I applied it all over my face. The slight scent ( hard to describe), was bothersome, but not as bad as their HIAJ (ewww). It rinsed off pretty well, I didn't feel like I had a film of any sort on my face, but I did notice that it made my skin sometimes feel tight and dry. I thought this stuff was supposed to also moisturize a bit? It didn't completely take off all my make-up as I still had traces of mascara and e/l on...on QVC ( where I ordered it from), the model was wearing a full face of m/u, mascara and e/l included, and it seemed to come off her face after she washed w/ Purity Made Simple ~ perhaps it was TV magic to amaze someone like me into purchasing it. All-in-all, I didn't care for this facial cleanser. I have since moved onto cleansing oil, and that does take off all traces of m/u, and leaves my skin feeling soft, and looking clean. I will NOT be repurchasing or recommending Purity Made Simple to anyone!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/31/2007 11:28:00 PM More reviews by parkbench28

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This was a big no-go for me. I liked the smell, but it really dried out my skin and clogged my pores.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2007 4:32:00 PM More reviews by jgsawy0uth

This is a gentle cleanser I needed for my combination skin after starting on differin cream. I use it in conjunction with my clarisonic face brush and it works very well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2007 2:22:00 PM More reviews by Joke

I use this every day now, I wouldn't say this product is an exciting product, but it does the job. And it doesn't cause any break outs (a miracle for me :)). It'sa nice & soft cleanser and I will rebuy once out of it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2007 10:41:00 AM More reviews by WenchMartha

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like it but here's what I suspect others won't: it's lavendar-herbal scented and if that bothers you in a cleanser, don't get this. It's not lathering and a lot of people do like that. It doesn't remove all my eye makeup unless I use a washcloth and rub my eyes (I use a separate remover anyway and nothing I've ever tried has removed all eye makeup in one minimal step). In those regards, this product may not be to your liking--after all, both the packaging and QVC sell (if you watch that channel), harp on the idea that this is a "one-step" cleanser. Unless you wear little to no eye makeup, I just don't see how it could be.

So why do I like it? Well, I don't find the smell offensive or bothersome. I do find that it nicely melts what face makeup I do wear and does at least remove some of my eye makeup enough to where I don't have to use excessive other remover for that. I really prefer to use it in the AM when I have a relatively "clean" face anyway. The packaging quality is fine--no complaints there. It can be pricey but given some lines out there, I think this is fairly reasonable and I will purchase this again. But if you're in the market for a non-lathering, fairly non-irritating, middle of the road cleanser, this will definitely do--but Cetaphil might just as well so try it first.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/18/2007 5:18:00 AM More reviews by Bridgetr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

At first, I could not stand the fragrance. Then it grew on me, and now I love it. But unfortunately, the cleanser leaves my face feeling tight and dry. I have oily skin that is flaky from Taz, and even if I use this after an oil cleanse, it is just too drying for me. But I wish it worked, because the fragrance has really got a hold on me! Very strange, because I found it so objectionable in the beginning.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/16/2007 8:31:00 PM More reviews by misspoppy

its good for removing makeup but i found it didn't help with breakouts. i am now using lush products and find them to be a lot better. i put i would buy it again but not really sure if i would.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2007 9:24:00 PM More reviews by buechmn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

awful awful product. A SA gave me a sample of this because she was trying to find products to help with my acne- but overall this made my cystic acne worse. Not only is the smell awful (and it burns my eyes) but it made my skin super raw and red, and made more blemishes appear on my face.
I don't think I will try any more philosophy face products.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2007 8:58:00 PM More reviews by liz2010

This is hands down the best cleanser I have EVER used. My skin is glowy and healthy afterwards and it really provides a deep down clean. I always try new products but in the end I ALWAYS go back to this. I love it :-) the price is a bit steep but for me its totally worth it!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2007 7:47:00 PM More reviews by evilspicee

I love this cleanser! It is so gentle, doesn't irritate the eyes and takes off all your makeup! I have pretty dry skin and this does not dry it out. I have used many cleansers and this is the only one that I have bought over and over. This is probably my favorite product of Philosophy.