La Mer Creme de la mer moisturizer

3.5

Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Mineral Oil/Paraffinum Liquidum/Huile Minerale, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Extract, Microcrystalline Wax/Cera Microcristallina/Cire Microcristalline, Lanolin Alcohol, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus (Ecalyptus) Leaf Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed, Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa) Seed Powder, Heliuanthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Meal, Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Glyconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Paraffin, Tocopheryl Succinate, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Decyl Oleate, Aluminum Distearate, Octyldodecanol, Citric Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Magnesium Stearate, Panthenol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Alcohol Denat., Fragrance (Parfum)

I finally got some sample packs of this on ebay. It killed my skin!!My face turned red, itchy, and raw. I kept it up for 2 weeks, thinking it would pass. It didn't. I went back to my regular, and it got better. I've tried a lot of products and the only other product that did this to me was a Kiss My Face eye cream.
So many people love La Mer, and I wanted to also. Seaweed is supposed to be a major irritant, so maybe that was it.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

The two reasons why I purchased this creme is because: a)I bought into the hype and, b) because I wanted a quick fix for my acne scars. After using it daily for one week, I broke out in tiny red pimples all over my face. I believe that this creme is too rich for acne-prone sensitive skin.
I was happy that I was able to return the creme to Sak's without any hassles.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I have dry skin and use the lotion. It is good for me, skin is clearer and less dry. I didn't buy it for the miraculous claims... just the fact that it gives results. I wear it with CLinique super city block and EL advanced night repair eye cream. After all of that - good to know I don;t need to use foundation!!!

Even La Mer (Lauder) will tell you that the ingredients of the original creme are nothing special; supossedly what makes this product unique is the bio-fermentation process that takes several months... They even claim to play a certian tape with the sounds of the bacteria decomposing the seeweed while it is actually decomposing...! I don't know if any of this is true or not, but it sure sounds romantic and unique...

What I can tell you is that this is the most amazing moisturizer I have ever used on my 40 year old face. It'll make your skin smooth as a baby's ass and it'll last for 12-18 hours, and even after washing your face will remain noticably softer and supple. I have never found anything that can soften and last this long. I have only been using CDLM for a couple of months, so I cannot report any miracles yet, but I can rave over dramatic results with their Eye Balm after only a few days of the correct application (see my review under Productville).

I also adore how this cream applies; you rub it on fingers to warm and liquify, and then tap over your face, and it absorbs into the skin like nothing else I have ever used. I bought samples of CDLM on Ebay and just feel in love with it within a few days... It is honestly the best moisurizer for dry skin I have ever used—keeps your skin soft and supple for HOURS and HOURS and HOURS and HOURS and HOURS... It may not wipe away several decades of photo damage to your face, but it DOES do some wonderful things for skin none the less...

It amazes me that people think others will repeatedly pay $165 for a jar of moisturizer based only on hype... Products like this will not entice repeat buyers just because JLO and celebs are reported to use it. People rebuy CDLM at $165 because it does something magically soft to skin for HOURS and HOURS and HOURS and HOURS and HOURS after only one (correct) application.

Also, mineral oil and lanolin (CDLM ingredients) really get a bad rap. The current (modern) trend is to replace mineral oil and petrolatum with silicons. And silicons work very well, particularily with oilier complexions. But mineral oil and petrolum products are a dear and trusted friend to dry skin, and are time proven. They are NOT for younger, oilier skin, but they are not bad and evil and something to be avoided; quite the contrary if you have mature dry skin...

In short those of us that are paying this much for skin care are not idiots. We do see results. Maybe not miracle level, but very magical none the less...

Like others fell for the hype! Too heavy to use in the day even if my skin is dry...looks like an oil slick! Didn't cause any breakouts or anything but not worth the money!

This is my absolute favorite product in the world! After using it just once, I noticed a major difference in my skin - it was softer, smoother, and my pores seemed smaller. I'd never tried anything and had such amazing results and so quickly too!

I'm totally hooked and can't use anything else now. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. That isn't stopping me though, lol.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Quick question - does CDLM have a strong rose fragrance? I bought a trial size off someone on eBay and while what I got was in the right little container and is very thick and rich, it has a really strong rose smell that I don't remember from when I've tried it at cosmetic counters before. Have I been taken? It smells a lot like the old rose Avon lotions that my grandmother used to use.....

Well, I have to chime in with my feelings about this: Please, save your money for something else! I gave in to the hype and purchased this, and I still can't believe what a sucker I was. The saleslady made this out to be some kind of miracle cream that fades scars, erases blemishes, balances your skin and makes it glow....the litany of praise was neverending. I had heard a lot of good things about it elsewhere, and allowed myself to think that I must be missing something special. Ha.
I took this home and followed the directions I'd been given (which are the same as those noted below by other reviewers), and smoothed a small amount onto my face and neck. I did experience a slight flush and warmth in my cheeks that lasted for about an hour. And that was the one and only effect this cream had on my skin - even after weeks of consistent use. My skin was moisturized, and I don't recall having any terrible breakouts as a result of it, but in all honesty, I might as well have been using a drugstore brand. Other moisturizers don't require any special application procedures either, so they save both time and money. Perhaps my twentysomething skin is just not what this cream is meant for, because I was sorely disappointed by this. This product is what promtped me to start paying attention to ingredient listings and research, and not just brand names. I'm a lot wealthier, and a lot happier with my skin due to that, so perhaps I should be thanking La Mer! This is definitely something I'd recommend getting a sample of before you take the plunge. It can't hurt, but if it doesn't help either, then that's hardly worth your money. I finished off what I had, but I won't bother with it again! continued >>

OK, here's the deal. This product gave me milia really badly. HOWEVER, my father had had a mole removed from his back and the area from which it was removed was really itchy. I covered the area with La Mer 3 times daily and when he returned to the doctor 3 weeks later, there was very little evidence of the surgery, let alone the scar. It freaked the Doctor out, I can tell you. So I give this 4 lippies. I had to take one for the milia. I will buy again as I stupidly lent the jar to my (now ex) boyfriend. What a waste!

I have normal/dry skin and this creme works great on me. I've been using it for 2 months and my overall complextion improved, pores minimized, and acne residues lightened. I use it every night after EL ANR.