BeneFit Cosmetics They're Real

3.4

2058 reviews

Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Polybutene, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Vp/Eicosene Copolymer, Acacia Senegal Gum, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium Edta, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Laureth-12 Sulfate, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, Sericin, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tilia Tomentosa Bud Extract, Citric Acid, Bht, Sorbic Acid. [+/-: Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Ultramarines (Ci 77007), Chromium Oxide Greens (Ci 77288), Chromium Hydroxide Green (Ci 77289), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891)]. N° 05827/N

on 1/18/2013 10:05:00 AM

Got a mini of this as a gift at Sephora. Normally I wouldn't buy a non-drugstore mascara, but I might have to repurchase They're Real. Many things about it were better than I expected: it really is long-lasting, non-flaky, non-smudgey, and it really does keep the curl -- the first non-waterproof mascara I've tried, high or low end, that did these things.

The funky combination wand -- part Lash-Blast style plasticky spikes, part round bristly bulb -- is interesting and mostly good. The bristly end does help grab little lashes that would otherwise be hard to catch. But it can also grab my inner lid when I'm trying to use the normal wand section. Ouch! An ordinary nylon-bristle curved wand -- like the one with Maybelline Falsies -- does almost as good a job of catching all the lashes without that risk. A curved wand also does at least as good a job of curling; using the bulb end of the They're Real brush doesn't curl so much as point the lashes straight up.

The thing I really like is the formula. Somehow they've replicated the firm, long-wearing feel of a waterproof mascara with the removability of a non-waterproof. That's an excellent balance for everyday wear. I do worry about using this with contact lenses, because inevitably one day I'm going to have to use eye drops and I bet I'll have mascara everywhere. That said, I've worn They're Real on days when I ended up with very watery eyes and didn't notice any bleeding/smudging. So it does stand up pretty well.

It's possible to get a fairly natural look with just one coat, or apply a second for a more dramatic look without much clumping. Any clumps can be removed with the same brush, just wipe off any excess mascara so you don't make matters worse. I do like not needing a separate comb or spooly for cleanup.

4/5 with half a lippie off for not being waterproof, and half off for the cons associated with the wacky applicator. Overall, a really great mascara.

on 1/17/2013 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

First of all..why is the brush so damn spiky? Very dangerous. It's so scratchy it hurt me. It lengthened my lashes but separated them a little too much and gave me very little volume (I need volume!!). It also smudged on me which is a big no-no for me. I will stick with Maybelline The Colossal.

on 1/17/2013 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

EDIT: I have grown to love this mascara. As with all products, you need multiple tries to find the perfect application method. As it is very clumpy on me, I only need very little (the slightest single coat you can imagine) and it does the job. Again, because I find this clumpy, building it up to achieve the false lash effect is impossible, but it is ideal for every morning when in a rush to sweep it quickly to get natural looking full lashes.

I have so many samples of thins lying around I wish I loved this mascara but sadly it's not for me. This mascara lengthens pretty well but it is also extremely clumpy which I cannot deal with.

on 1/17/2013 1:40:00 PM

I love the look of this mascara on, it does not smudge while worn even on my bottom lashes! A bit hard to remove even with waterproof mascara remover though. It took me a few applications to get used to the brush ( I am used to brushes like Bad Gal Mascara or Full n' soft). But overall a very nice mascara@

on 1/17/2013 1:36:00 PM

I really liked nearly everything about this mascara. Reasonable price, lots in the tube. It gives length, volume and lift to your lashes and when I wore it people actually thought I was wearing very natural looking fake lashes because they were so full and seperated.

My only issue is that because of the lengthening and the shape of my eye sockets, the ends of my top lashes touched my lids quite a lot and where this happened i kept getting horrible smudges. I have to say though that I wouldnt let this put other people off, because i guess it depends on the individual. The mascara wasnt in any other way smudgy or flaky and they stayed looking brilliant all day. However, I work long days and for me constantly having to check for dark smudgy lids was just a little bit of a problem so I haven't rebought straight away. I probably will for shorter wear though, for example on weekends when I can check in a mirror more often.

Definitely worth a try, and the brush is brilliant. Almost perfect!

on 1/16/2013 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Let me start by saying, I dont' like crunchy/stiff eyelashes. It is the reason why I didnt' wear mascara until a few years ago. This mascara leaves my lashes to dry and stiff, they hurt! It must be the formula. The mascara does give lots of length and some volume, so it makes the lashes look much more dramatic, but i am not willing to pay the cost of stiff lashes. If you dont' mind that feeling, this mascara may work for you.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Great mascara. Received a trial size in an ipsy/glam bag. Wasn't really a believer in high end mascaras until I tried this one. I have incredibly short lashes and this made them way longer. Doesn't clump or look spidery. The wand has a little "ball" of bristles at the tip, making it easy to apply to the hard to reach corner lashes and lower lashes. Will purchase a full tube for sure.

on 1/16/2013 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

One of my favorite mascaras!!! Elongates, separates, volumizes... It does it all for my lashes! I have fairly normal length lashes, nor straight or curled. This mascara is super buildable, not clumpy, allows you to achieve different looks, from an everyday/natural look to an extreme sexy look.
Pros:
- Packaging and the wand- the wand's tip had bristles on it as well so you can get into the inner corners of your eyes easily. The wand picks a perfect amount of product, the color is intense and the packaging itself is super cute.
- Great results.
- Buildable.
Cons:
- Quite expensive.
- Dries faster than other mascaras.
Overall, I'd totally purchase it again!

on 1/16/2013 11:28:00 AM

I was disapointed with this product I expected a lot longer looking lashes. I also didnt like how stiff this made my eyelashes it kind of hurt to remove it at times. The front of the brush also always gets clumpy

on 1/15/2013 9:00:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This product kinda blows. I mean, I really thought it would be great based on what everyone says, but no matter how I apply it it makes my eyelashes stick together like none other! I have fairly long, thick lashes to start with and it makes them look worse than before I put on the mascara.

I got it as a sample size, and I do like the brush, but I really dislike the formula.

Oh, and when I went to take it off the other night, some of my eyelashes came off! They were just so brittle from the formula... just that alone makes me want to never buy this product.

Video Reviews & Tutorials