October 24, 2014 | 1723 users online

Eye Primer - Too Faced - Shadow Insurance

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2008 6:49:00 PM More reviews by FeeFee34

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think this is a good product that does what it says it'll do, but I'm still debating whether I would honestly repurchase it.

In terms of performance, I have this awful eyeshadow from Clinique that I am determined to wear because I love the color, despite the fact that it wears off after a few blinks. Shadow Insurance does exponentially improve the lasting power of both this eyeshadow and a couple others I have tried quite well, BUT I wouldn't say it's a miracle product. I can't wear most eyeshadows from morning to night even with this primer because there is fading by the end of the day. It does wonders for creasing however, even if I'm tired and rub my eyes.

The one thing I must say about SI that I really dislike is putting it on every morning. It has this very unpleasant metallic scent that only lasts during application, but is not fun all the same. Plus, the consistency just feels oily and unpleasant. Once it's on my lids it feels fine, but putting it on isn't a great process.

Finally, the reason I'm skeptical about repurchasing is simply the nature of the product. I have a real problem with paying $17 plus tax for a product whose only purpose is to make the products I already have work. I don't like having an entire submarket of makeup products that get actual makeup products to do what they're supposed to--lipliners that hold lipstick in place, separate moisturizers for tinted MOISTURIZERS, mascara preps, etc. And all the prep products don't come cheap either. While I do like this product and do find that it works well, personally, it would make a lot more sense for me to buy a good quality eyeshadow that stays in place on its own.

And now that my rant against the makeup industry is done, I'd also like to add that I find the packaging adorable and have not tried this with eyeliner or any other time of eye makeup other than shadow.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2008 9:17:00 AM More reviews by mhooven

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this primer because it does what it says without drying my eyelids and there is little to no waste. I have tried other brands (Chanel, Urban Decay, Trish McEvoy) and none have worked as well for me as this one. The UD and Trish products were a total waste of money. Half of the product stays in the tube and I know it has been said that you can just cut open the tubes to get the rest out, but that is ridiculous. I do not expect to have to cut (saw is more like it-I tried this once) open a plastic tube and scoop out the remains to put in another container. With Shadow Insurance it is a squeezable tube so there isn't going to be anything left in the container and it only takes the tiniest dab for each eye. My oily eyelids are no match for this product and it only costs $17.00!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2008 1:05:00 AM More reviews by tC_girl

This is my newfound love!!! I like it better than Urban Decay Primer Potion because you can actually get all the product out of the tube and it works just as well, if not BETTER. The texture of TFSI is very similar to UDPP too, only it's way easier to squeeze out. It keeps my eye makeup smudge-proof and crease-free. My liner never smears and my eye shadow looks as good as the moment I applied it. It's only $1.00 more than UDPP so I'd definitely try it out. I wear mineral eye shadows from time to time and it also helps to make the shadow go on darker and smoother.

EDIT: After months of using this, I actually think I prefer UDPP. UDPP just works better at keeping my eye makeup from smearing after long periods of time. However, TFSI allows my eye shadows to go on more smoothly, so I guess that's the trade-off.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2008 11:03:00 PM More reviews by msdi2u

Got a good-sized sample of this from Sephora the other day... but I don't even know why I bothered to try it. (This has the same exact ingredients as Urban Decay Primer Potion, and I can't use that stuff, either.) Not that either are not good eyeshadow primers... but if you have sensitive skin- like I do- or are sensitive to lanolin, I advise you to avoid this stuff like the plague. This contains isopropyl lanolate, and within minutes of application... my eyelids began to sting, burn, and then tear. I hoped the reaction might pass... so, like a dope... I continued applying my eye makeup until the watering of my eyes became intolerable. I then wound up using a makeup remover wipe and had to remove everything I just applied. (Also had to soak my eyelids for a few minutes with a cold wash cloth.) Not a pleasant experience... let me tell you.

So, lucky are the gals who are NOT sensitive to lanolin, becuz I know this is a GREAT eyeshadow primer... as long as you're not allergic. I did have to deduct lippies, though, for the bad choice of ingredients by Too-Faced. (Copy Cats!) continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2008 7:12:00 PM More reviews by leo88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

SHADOW INSURANCE IS A GREAT EYESHADOW PRIMER!!! IT NOT ONLY MAKE YOUR EYESHADOW LAST BUT IT CAN ENHANCE THE DULLEST SHADOW!! ALSO IF MIX WITH YOUR FAV SHADOW IT CAN TURN IT INTO A CREAM SHADOW!! DONT BE SCARED OF CREAMS BC PRIMER DO EXIST!!! OH AND FYI: I CANT PICK BETWEEN URBAN DECAY PRIMER POTION AND SHADOW INSURANCE THEIR BOTH GREAT PRODUCTS..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2008 1:21:00 AM More reviews by pink1223

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Sorry, I haven't tried the UDPP, so this isn't any real comparison. However, I read the reviews on both when I was looking for a new eye primer (mac paints were failing me, I thought there must be something better), and I decided to purchase this over UDPP because basically the packaging alone. The squeeze tube is nice. And I read it blends shadows better and that is always a plus, I thought. Anyway, this product definitely does the job for me, I love it! I still have my eyeshadow on just as great as it was twelve hours ago when I first put applied! I'm so happy. It is definitely a step up from what I used to use. My eyelids to get oily over time for sure, but I don't think they are super oily, so this products did the job for me just fine. It did make my shadow more vibrant looking, it looked freshly applied for hours after. I am super pleased and will definitely purchase again, but I'm pretty sure it will last me a while!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2008 9:19:00 PM More reviews by Xiriah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've tried UDPP and this and I think I prefer UDPP. My eyelids tend to get really oily during the day around summertime and I feel that Too Faced's Shadow Insurance doesn't do that good a job of making my eyeshadow last. I'm not sure if I applied my eyeshadow with too light of a hand that day or if it was the different weather conditions when I compared the two, but I just felt that this didn't do as well of a job as UDPP when it came to making my eyeshadow last. I do appreciate the convenient tube the product is contained in and it does make eyeshadow last better than not using any primer at all on your eyelids, but I don't like the consistency that much. It kind of feels...oily. :/ (I'm guessing that it could be dimethicone in the formula.) After applied, it has a rather satin-y feeling on the eyelid, but it just doesn't work that well for me. I do feel like giving it another chance though. One thing that I feel is true when comparing this to UDPP is I think it is easier to blend eyeshadows using TFSI.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2008 7:38:00 PM More reviews by ginasuicide

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this as a deluxe sample.. honestly, I cant really tell the difference between this and UDPP. I will use them both on some days (one on each eye) and they both go on the same way, absorb same, make shadows stay the same. The only difference is the packaging, the squeeze tube is better . Ive not seen the full size of the TF one, but one thing with UDPP is even after sawing the tube in half to dig the rest out, you still get quite a bit for the $16 you pay.

looks like TF is .35 tube
UDPP is .34

so I would say they are pretty even. once I finish my current jar of UD, if they havent put theirs into a tube by then (which is in the works from what Ive read) , I'll probably repurchase this one instead.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2008 2:02:00 AM More reviews by desertmom4

Not bad for an e/s primer. I have only used MAC paints and MAC PP's, but the PP's always creased on me whereas the paints ( tube) didn't. Out of boredom, I wanted to try a diff e/s primer, and TFSI was the one I decided to try. I only need a small dot of this stuff as it comes out of a squeeze tube ( hygenic). I use my finger and apply it over my entire lid up to brow bone. I let it set for 30 seconds ( read this is what your supposed to do by the maker, on the TF website) and then apply my e/s. It is essentially colorless, which I like as that way I know whichever e/s color I use the color won't be altered, whereas if I used a colored e/s primer sometimes the actual color will change a bit. I found my e/s easy to blend, and colors seemed true to their shade. My e/s did wear all day ( good 8 hours), and did not crease but by the end of the day it didn't look as fresh and vibrant as it did when I 1st applied it (I don't have oily lids for referrence). Overall, not a bad e/s primer, I do like it and will repurchase when/if I run out. It cost about $17, which isn't too bad considering it does what it claims...still love my MAC paints though ;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2008 12:41:00 AM More reviews by FastKitty99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Thank you, fellow MUA reviewers! I had never heard of this product until I read the reviews on this board. I thought UDPP was a great product, but the ridiculous "genie bottle" is about the worst packaging I can possibly imagine, and I refuse to "saw" open the bottle to get at least 50% of the product out!

Thank goodness the folks at Too Faced had the good sense to come up with a more sanitary, efficient way to dispense their product. This primer is just as effective as UDPP, but has superior packaging. Ladies, if you don't want to mess around with the absurd UDPP packaging any longer, give this a try, I think you will be impressed - this is my favorite eye shadow primer - comparable to UDPP quality, but MUCH better packaging.