October 31, 2014 | 944 users online

Eye Primer - Too Faced - Shadow Insurance

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2008 10:21:00 AM More reviews by KathleenS

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used UPDD before trying this when I got a sample from Sephora. Now I am a convert. My main reasons for liking this better - because both products work for me - are the texture of the product and the packaging. I like Shadow Insurance better because to me it goes on in a lighter film and I can use just a tiny bit and it works all day for me. Because it comes in a tube I get out only the amount I want and there is no waste. I always felt like UPDD was thick and more opaque whereas Shadow Insurance is thinner and more translucent. I think it depends on your own personal preference for this aspect of it. I don't like anything that makes my eyelids feel heavy or thick. I only wear a little eyeshadow, liner and mascara on a daily basis so if you wear lots of eye makeup YMMV. Also, I have fairly normal skin so even though I get a little oily I don't know how these products compare if you have very oily skin.

I hated the UDPP packaging which cracked and broke along the neck the first time I dropped it on my bathroom tile. I scooped it out into a pot and used it that way for a long time. Yesterday I tossed the rest and switched over permanently to this when I bought the full-sized tube. I use very little every day so I am sure a tube,which will not crack when I drop it, will last me a very long time so I think it is a good value.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2008 4:37:00 PM More reviews by Twizler

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't get it. This doesn't prevent shadow creasing at all. I never should have strayed from my beloved Urban Decay Primer!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2008 5:52:00 PM More reviews by Nancygia

I like to experiment with products so I used this on one eye and UDPP on the other. I have oily lids and wouldn't even bother using eyeshadow without a primer. Result--this needed a minute or two to set prior to putting on eyeshadow, but the UDPP takes a long time to get out of the tube (you keep pumping and there's almost nothing on the wand). They both lasted all day, but eyeshadow goes on a lot smoother with this. It instantly became my new HG!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2008 5:05:00 PM More reviews by lavenderfleur

This will definitely replace UDPP for me, at least until they can get new packaging. It seems basically the same anyway. Goes on smooth and nice. My shadow lasts all day long when I wear this. Overall, this is a great product and I will definitely purchase again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2008 6:49:00 PM More reviews by FeeFee34

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think this is a good product that does what it says it'll do, but I'm still debating whether I would honestly repurchase it.

In terms of performance, I have this awful eyeshadow from Clinique that I am determined to wear because I love the color, despite the fact that it wears off after a few blinks. Shadow Insurance does exponentially improve the lasting power of both this eyeshadow and a couple others I have tried quite well, BUT I wouldn't say it's a miracle product. I can't wear most eyeshadows from morning to night even with this primer because there is fading by the end of the day. It does wonders for creasing however, even if I'm tired and rub my eyes.

The one thing I must say about SI that I really dislike is putting it on every morning. It has this very unpleasant metallic scent that only lasts during application, but is not fun all the same. Plus, the consistency just feels oily and unpleasant. Once it's on my lids it feels fine, but putting it on isn't a great process.

Finally, the reason I'm skeptical about repurchasing is simply the nature of the product. I have a real problem with paying $17 plus tax for a product whose only purpose is to make the products I already have work. I don't like having an entire submarket of makeup products that get actual makeup products to do what they're supposed to--lipliners that hold lipstick in place, separate moisturizers for tinted MOISTURIZERS, mascara preps, etc. And all the prep products don't come cheap either. While I do like this product and do find that it works well, personally, it would make a lot more sense for me to buy a good quality eyeshadow that stays in place on its own.

And now that my rant against the makeup industry is done, I'd also like to add that I find the packaging adorable and have not tried this with eyeliner or any other time of eye makeup other than shadow.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2008 9:17:00 AM More reviews by mhooven

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this primer because it does what it says without drying my eyelids and there is little to no waste. I have tried other brands (Chanel, Urban Decay, Trish McEvoy) and none have worked as well for me as this one. The UD and Trish products were a total waste of money. Half of the product stays in the tube and I know it has been said that you can just cut open the tubes to get the rest out, but that is ridiculous. I do not expect to have to cut (saw is more like it-I tried this once) open a plastic tube and scoop out the remains to put in another container. With Shadow Insurance it is a squeezable tube so there isn't going to be anything left in the container and it only takes the tiniest dab for each eye. My oily eyelids are no match for this product and it only costs $17.00!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2008 1:05:00 AM More reviews by tC_girl

This is my newfound love!!! I like it better than Urban Decay Primer Potion because you can actually get all the product out of the tube and it works just as well, if not BETTER. The texture of TFSI is very similar to UDPP too, only it's way easier to squeeze out. It keeps my eye makeup smudge-proof and crease-free. My liner never smears and my eye shadow looks as good as the moment I applied it. It's only $1.00 more than UDPP so I'd definitely try it out. I wear mineral eye shadows from time to time and it also helps to make the shadow go on darker and smoother.

EDIT: After months of using this, I actually think I prefer UDPP. UDPP just works better at keeping my eye makeup from smearing after long periods of time. However, TFSI allows my eye shadows to go on more smoothly, so I guess that's the trade-off.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2008 11:03:00 PM More reviews by msdi2u

Got a good-sized sample of this from Sephora the other day... but I don't even know why I bothered to try it. (This has the same exact ingredients as Urban Decay Primer Potion, and I can't use that stuff, either.) Not that either are not good eyeshadow primers... but if you have sensitive skin- like I do- or are sensitive to lanolin, I advise you to avoid this stuff like the plague. This contains isopropyl lanolate, and within minutes of application... my eyelids began to sting, burn, and then tear. I hoped the reaction might pass... so, like a dope... I continued applying my eye makeup until the watering of my eyes became intolerable. I then wound up using a makeup remover wipe and had to remove everything I just applied. (Also had to soak my eyelids for a few minutes with a cold wash cloth.) Not a pleasant experience... let me tell you.

So, lucky are the gals who are NOT sensitive to lanolin, becuz I know this is a GREAT eyeshadow primer... as long as you're not allergic. I did have to deduct lippies, though, for the bad choice of ingredients by Too-Faced. (Copy Cats!) continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2008 7:12:00 PM More reviews by leo88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

SHADOW INSURANCE IS A GREAT EYESHADOW PRIMER!!! IT NOT ONLY MAKE YOUR EYESHADOW LAST BUT IT CAN ENHANCE THE DULLEST SHADOW!! ALSO IF MIX WITH YOUR FAV SHADOW IT CAN TURN IT INTO A CREAM SHADOW!! DONT BE SCARED OF CREAMS BC PRIMER DO EXIST!!! OH AND FYI: I CANT PICK BETWEEN URBAN DECAY PRIMER POTION AND SHADOW INSURANCE THEIR BOTH GREAT PRODUCTS..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2008 1:21:00 AM More reviews by pink1223

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Sorry, I haven't tried the UDPP, so this isn't any real comparison. However, I read the reviews on both when I was looking for a new eye primer (mac paints were failing me, I thought there must be something better), and I decided to purchase this over UDPP because basically the packaging alone. The squeeze tube is nice. And I read it blends shadows better and that is always a plus, I thought. Anyway, this product definitely does the job for me, I love it! I still have my eyeshadow on just as great as it was twelve hours ago when I first put applied! I'm so happy. It is definitely a step up from what I used to use. My eyelids to get oily over time for sure, but I don't think they are super oily, so this products did the job for me just fine. It did make my shadow more vibrant looking, it looked freshly applied for hours after. I am super pleased and will definitely purchase again, but I'm pretty sure it will last me a while!