December 18, 2014 | 1545 users online

Eye Primer - Too Faced - Shadow Insurance

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2008 10:45:00 AM More reviews by samana01

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've always had trouble with eyeshadows and liners creasing on me within a few hours. I bought this over UDPP because I didn't want to deal with the crappy packaging.

I apply this all over my lid to my eyebrow. I wait a few minutes, then I apply eyeshadow as usual.

I love this stuff! With this on, my eye makeup lasts all day! Once I even fell asleep with my makeup on (I know, bad). It smudged a little, but other than that it was pretty much intact. Now I use this every day, even if I'm just putting eyeliner on.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2008 12:49:00 AM More reviews by autumndayx

I was going to purchase UDPP, but I heard this packaging was more economical so I decided on this. I am pretty much in love, my oily skin has eyeshadow dull and gone in about 2 hours. This keeps my makeup looking fresh and makes the colors brighter. I love this so much, definitely purchasing again.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2008 6:57:00 PM More reviews by mizleilei

Too Faced Shadow Insurance Anti-Crease Eye Shadow Primer - I wanted to try this since I have been very happy with Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Primer Potion. This has a bit of slip to it and is more emollient. I like UDPP's better since it dries faster, but they both have the same great staying power. I like how this is packaged since its in a squeeze tube rather than a wand in tube like UDPP. But I did find out how to get the most prod out of by cutting the ends of the tubes. I'll have to blog about that later. I think after my first tube of UDPP is out and this is all done, I'll stick to UDPP.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/16/2008 11:51:00 PM More reviews by MissChocoholic

At first I adored Shadow Insurance, especially the cute packaging. I wore this faithfully, especially in the fall/winter and then just didn't reach out for it for a couple months. Then I decided to pull this out again just recently. I really liked this one until...

a) I saw a greasy, oily liquid coming out of the tube. I had to take some of the oilyness of the product out before I got to the good stuff

b) After applying this under dark eyeshadows in particular, you really see it crease - and this was only after an hour

I'm sticking to my UDPP until I can find something better. But as of right now, nothing has been able to beat this one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2008 10:21:00 AM More reviews by KathleenS

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used UPDD before trying this when I got a sample from Sephora. Now I am a convert. My main reasons for liking this better - because both products work for me - are the texture of the product and the packaging. I like Shadow Insurance better because to me it goes on in a lighter film and I can use just a tiny bit and it works all day for me. Because it comes in a tube I get out only the amount I want and there is no waste. I always felt like UPDD was thick and more opaque whereas Shadow Insurance is thinner and more translucent. I think it depends on your own personal preference for this aspect of it. I don't like anything that makes my eyelids feel heavy or thick. I only wear a little eyeshadow, liner and mascara on a daily basis so if you wear lots of eye makeup YMMV. Also, I have fairly normal skin so even though I get a little oily I don't know how these products compare if you have very oily skin.

I hated the UDPP packaging which cracked and broke along the neck the first time I dropped it on my bathroom tile. I scooped it out into a pot and used it that way for a long time. Yesterday I tossed the rest and switched over permanently to this when I bought the full-sized tube. I use very little every day so I am sure a tube,which will not crack when I drop it, will last me a very long time so I think it is a good value.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2008 4:37:00 PM More reviews by Twizler

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't get it. This doesn't prevent shadow creasing at all. I never should have strayed from my beloved Urban Decay Primer!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2008 5:52:00 PM More reviews by Nancygia

I like to experiment with products so I used this on one eye and UDPP on the other. I have oily lids and wouldn't even bother using eyeshadow without a primer. Result--this needed a minute or two to set prior to putting on eyeshadow, but the UDPP takes a long time to get out of the tube (you keep pumping and there's almost nothing on the wand). They both lasted all day, but eyeshadow goes on a lot smoother with this. It instantly became my new HG!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2008 5:05:00 PM More reviews by lavenderfleur

This will definitely replace UDPP for me, at least until they can get new packaging. It seems basically the same anyway. Goes on smooth and nice. My shadow lasts all day long when I wear this. Overall, this is a great product and I will definitely purchase again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2008 6:49:00 PM More reviews by FeeFee34

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think this is a good product that does what it says it'll do, but I'm still debating whether I would honestly repurchase it.

In terms of performance, I have this awful eyeshadow from Clinique that I am determined to wear because I love the color, despite the fact that it wears off after a few blinks. Shadow Insurance does exponentially improve the lasting power of both this eyeshadow and a couple others I have tried quite well, BUT I wouldn't say it's a miracle product. I can't wear most eyeshadows from morning to night even with this primer because there is fading by the end of the day. It does wonders for creasing however, even if I'm tired and rub my eyes.

The one thing I must say about SI that I really dislike is putting it on every morning. It has this very unpleasant metallic scent that only lasts during application, but is not fun all the same. Plus, the consistency just feels oily and unpleasant. Once it's on my lids it feels fine, but putting it on isn't a great process.

Finally, the reason I'm skeptical about repurchasing is simply the nature of the product. I have a real problem with paying $17 plus tax for a product whose only purpose is to make the products I already have work. I don't like having an entire submarket of makeup products that get actual makeup products to do what they're supposed to--lipliners that hold lipstick in place, separate moisturizers for tinted MOISTURIZERS, mascara preps, etc. And all the prep products don't come cheap either. While I do like this product and do find that it works well, personally, it would make a lot more sense for me to buy a good quality eyeshadow that stays in place on its own.

And now that my rant against the makeup industry is done, I'd also like to add that I find the packaging adorable and have not tried this with eyeliner or any other time of eye makeup other than shadow.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2008 9:17:00 AM More reviews by mhooven

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this primer because it does what it says without drying my eyelids and there is little to no waste. I have tried other brands (Chanel, Urban Decay, Trish McEvoy) and none have worked as well for me as this one. The UD and Trish products were a total waste of money. Half of the product stays in the tube and I know it has been said that you can just cut open the tubes to get the rest out, but that is ridiculous. I do not expect to have to cut (saw is more like it-I tried this once) open a plastic tube and scoop out the remains to put in another container. With Shadow Insurance it is a squeezable tube so there isn't going to be anything left in the container and it only takes the tiniest dab for each eye. My oily eyelids are no match for this product and it only costs $17.00!