Calvin Klein Obsession

3.6

on 8/30/2006 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

To me, Obsession lives up to its name. It's heady, addictive, dark, brooding, and incredible sexy. It makes me think about all of those things that I love to infatuate over, especially the guilty secrets.

It's sensual, predatory, animalistic, and definitely not for the faint-hearted. A girly girl would feel exposed and vulnerable wearing this, but a strong-minded woman would wield it like a weapon and beat the opposition into submission with a single whiff.

I'm in love with this, even the bottle, which I find more classic than dated. Don't ever change this, Calvin Klein!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Horrendous, dated packaging. I wish designers would update their packaging for popular fragrances - may boost sales and introduce the scent to new generations. Anyway - this fragrance is my number one, penultimate example of a perfume I love ONLY ONLY in the drydown phase.

For this reason, I feel many of the once-popular drugstore knockoffs get this right in the sense that the inital, "expensive" and "exotic" smelling notes are unbearably harsh and chemical smelling and they go straight for the sillage that we later smell on others - the vaguely powdery, distinctive Obsession-scent.

This is a unique scent that I feel has gotten a bad rap. Even as a younger fragrance wearer, I feel if a light hand is used - this is still a masterfully crafted scent with a unique blend of notes and complexity. continued >>

All right, initially I did not like this fragrance. I was a bit overpowering to me, but then after it dried down I found it to be narcotically addictive.
I couldn't stop smelling my wrist. I've found that men really seem to like this one too, I find it to be a little haunting, definetly leaves an impression. On the launch of this fragrance Calvin Klein said "I didn't want an old-fashioned recipe, I wanted something direct, sensuous and provocative, which represents the way I feel about women." and I think he pegged it right with Obsession. Definetly a keeper for me :0)

on 5/30/2006 1:50:00 PM

Definitely a favorite fragrance of mine. No, I haven't worn it since about 1987, but only because it became too popular for its own good. This is a very strong, earthy, hedonistic smelling concoction that radiates sheer sex appeal. Musky, dark, complex - with a lovely sensuous drydown - this is not a fragrance for your average woman. Trouble is, EVERYONE wore it in the 80s, so much so that it was totally overdone. I would not hesitate to wear this again if I was given it as a gift, and I may well purchase it myself again at some point. continued >>

on 5/14/2006 4:51:00 PM

I wore Obsession about when it first came out, about 17 years ago. It was very pretty & had alot of positive feedback, especially from men. Now the trend has moved towards sugary, fruity, or foody smells. To me, I don't want to smell like a bakery or candy store. I still like the fragrances from the past better than today's scents. I don't care if they're called "outdated" or whatever labels some women attach to them. I like to smell like an adult female, not a little girl, that doesn't mean I like an "old lady" scent. Grow up people!

on 5/10/2006 8:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I used to love this stuff, so I would be bad to say I gave it a low rating, but I have not had this in at least 15 or 16 years. Got rid of it in highschool when BBW started flooding our noses with cheap alcohol scented body sprays. Which is more evil. Who knows. If forced, I would pick this is the winter, BBW in the summer. Thankfully, there are other people who sell fragrances now:) (oh yeah, and I am out of jr high/highschool, so I decide for myself what to wear...or maybe the salespeople decide for me...)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was 3 years old when this came out in spring of 1985, so of course I never wore it or caught on to the craze. I heard it was very popular and now that no one is wearing it, I got a little bottle in a free gift with purchase of obsession night. Night, I'm in love with that perfume. I'm not giving up on the original though, and will wear it as a nighttime scent or in the fall/winter.
The only thing is, there are so many of those cheap body sprays that imitate obsession, that I will be weary of someone thinking I'm wearing one! I'd be sure to correct them though, but I don't think I'd buy it again unless it was free. NOTE-I have to comment on the reviewer below who said it was "as tacky as wearing panty hose with open toe sandals". Well, I know tons of women who's grandma's still do that, and I don't think you should insult them. Also, I've seen plenty of high fashion designers doing that look down the runway and in magazines(example-prada). You just have to know how to rock it! Leggings were out of style a long time, and now all the celebs are wearing them. lol

on 3/4/2006 6:05:00 PM

Had enjoyed the scent for a while, but getting tired of it. Something that you can wear in the winter months - but prefer vanilla frangrances now for winter. Wore this one time to work, and co-worker got an immediate headache. Have almost a full bottle in the closet, may give this to my friend since she loves it.

on 12/19/2005 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I'm with the reviewers who STILL love this scent. I avoided wearing it in the 80s (even though it smelled awesome on me), because so many girls were wearing it. Now, in my late 30s, I've found it again. And since NO one is wearing it anymore, I get tons and tons of compliments on it! Am in agreement this is a cool/cold weather scent. I only wear it in the winter and alternate between this, and another favorite of mine, Casmir (which also nets me beaucoup compliments:)). Light hand is a must with this, as most who have tried it know. It's an oriental that can be overpowering. It's certainly not a scent you have to "layer" like some others that fade so fast. And for those of you who think "it's so 80s"...and blast this beautiful, intoxicatingly sexy fragrance, please continue! Better you don't wear it, and let me enjoy the attention:)

on 12/9/2005 8:06:00 AM

I love this perfume. The drydown is warm and musky and very comforting to wear in winter. I get loads of compliments from men when I wear this perfume. I used to wear it in the 80s and only rediscovered it a couple of years ago. Back in the 80s the only problem with it was that so many people wore it and it is definitely not a perfume that suits everyone. It also needs to be applied with a light hand. Not one to wear in summer

Popular Fragrances