September 21, 2014 | 2084 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2013 11:14:00 AM More reviews by northerngal100

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I know people love this product - it does hold down shadow for a long time and cover any redness or veins, even in sweaty or humid conditions which are generally unfriendly to makeup; however, I am not a huge fan of the texture. I tend to get dry skin on my eye lids in the winter (I know, gross and weird - almond oil helps) and this really accentuates it. Therefore, it is only useful for me in the summer months.

If you have an oily eyelid problem and your makeup smears everywhere or creases - this stuff is likely a godsend. On the other hand, if you have dry skin, you might want to try a primer with a creamier consistency or just avoid primer altogether...

I am giving it a three only because I see its potential and it does work in the summer to keep things in check - but I wouldn't buy it again. It is kind of an unnecessary product IMO.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2013 10:20:00 AM More reviews by sarahmarie86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I absolutely love Painterly's formula... it's a lot creamier than its sister Soft Ochre. I was kind of apprehensive when purchasing Painterly because it is sooooo cool toned, and I'm slightly yellow. But on my eyelid it does wonders! I have some veins that show through (ugh) and I wanted to cover them up. Because Painterly is so pink toned, it did a great job of doing this! I did a full review and comparison between Painterly and Soft Ochre on my blog if you would like to check it out:

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2013 5:05:00 PM More reviews by MBROOKS425

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a standard in my makeup daily routine. I have been using it for a few years now as a base for my eyeshadow. I love it. I am Asian and have smaller lids, and the eyeshadow always use to crease into a dark line, or my eyeliner would leave a line on my eyelid wall, which is never a good look. I apply painterly all over my lid, and eye lid wall after sunscreen, let it sit for a minute and then apply my shadow like normal. It helps prevent my eyeshadow from creasing, and helps my eyeshadow last so much longer than when I dont wear this as a base. This product helps the color stick if you will, and not slide or disappear off your skin . Would highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2013 4:14:00 AM More reviews by rosiealice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been using Painterly as an eyeshadow base since I first started getting into makeup (about 5 years ago). I've tried a Guerlain primer, the notorious Primer Potion by Urban Decay, but nothing compares to this. The consistency is thick enough to adhere to the skin without creasing, and its nude colour is perfect for any colour to layer on top. Not only does it increase the vividness of eyeshadows, but they will NOT budge at all! The only downside in my opinion is the pot form, as sticking fingers into the pot everyday can't be good, but this could be avoided by simply scraping out the product on a spatula. Other than that, this is a fantastic primer that will last you a lifetime!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 5:05:00 PM More reviews by zuzuwentworth

I've been using this for the past 4 years as my eyeshadow primer and love it. It makes my eyeshadow last all day long (and I have long work days) and the pot lasts forever. When I'm feeling especially lazy, I'll sometimes just use this, as the skin over my eyelids is transparent and looks vein-y (blech).

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2013 2:40:00 PM More reviews by swanvic

I'm very disappointed from this product. I had read all the rave reviews here and from so many beauty gurus on Youtube that I decided to try it out. As an eyeshadow base it does absolutely nothing for me, I have oily eyelids and my eyeshadows crease like crazy when I wear Painterly. I tried to put less product, I tried to put more but nothing worked. As a cream eyeshadow with another base underneath (I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance which I LOVE) it's a beautiful neutral shade and has a nice, creamy consistency, but nothing you can't find in other companies for much money(the MAC paint pots cost 20 here in Greece, which is about 26-27$). All in all, I wouldn't repurchase this product as it doesn't do what it's supposed to(at least on me).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 1:35:00 AM More reviews by ajpowell21

This is a great eyeshadow primer! I use it everyday as a base and I have fairly oily eyelids so creasing is a big issue for me! I find this lasts all day and is still very matte and crease free, even on some really hot and humid days. I usually just use my finger to apply and find its fine. A little expensive but will last for a good 8-12 months. This ones a winner xooxo

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2013 12:32:00 AM More reviews by Anners26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was so torn on this product for months and I've finally decided... I hate it. I can't even explain exactly what's so unlikeable about it... it's just bleh. I tried it several different ways and it never worked. It looks like such a pretty, almost pinky-nude in the pot, but on my lids it basically looks purplish-grey. Seriously. And not in a good way. It washes out my entire eye and makes me look old and tired. And it's not even good as a primer, because it creased within like three hours. I wish I still had the receipt but sadly I waited too long. Boo on Painterly.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2013 8:24:00 PM More reviews by Shelbsca

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this product and use it almost every day, regardless of how much makeup I'm wearing. It can be used either as an eyeshadow primer, which intensifies the color so much it's insane, or you can just dab some on your eyes and actually use it as an eyeshadow (assuming you have the right coloring-I'm very fair, so it's a perfect natural shade for my eyes).

I usually apply this with my MAC217 brush, but when I don't have time I just dab some on with my fingers and it still looks flawless. I use a little more when I'm using it an an eyeshadow alone, and I use a little less when I'm wearing it underneath eyeshadow as a primer. You only need a tiny bit to have the eyeshadow stay all day without fading or creasing. When I use this as an eyeshadow, it looks natural but so pretty and eye-enhancing!

The best thing by far about this product is its ability to make eyeshadow colors look more vibrant and intense. It makes every eyeshadow look the way I actually want it to look. If you're thinking about buying this product, go to MAC and ask to test it. Then go to one of MAC's tester eyeshadows and swipe it one or two times on the back of your hand. Then swipe painterly right next to the eyeshadow swatch alone, and swipe the same eyeshadow on top of painterly. I can guarantee you that the color will be slightly darker, vibrant, and noticeable. The difference is astounding. I will never use eyeshadow again without using the painterly paint pot, unless I'm using a color that I don't want to be more intense.

The two cons are A) it's expensive- but once you know you like it, buy it from Ebay and get it cheaper! Plus, for a product this amazing I don't mind shelling out $20! Regardless, I don't think I'll even need to repurchase this all that much because this is going to last me forever! and B) the packaging doesn't really suck, but it could be better. It doesn't seem like the lid closes all the way and I could possibly see this drying out before I'm done with it if I don't make sure to tightly seal it all the way every time I use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 11:27:00 PM More reviews by ParfumLust

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this little gem. My eyeshadow has never creased while wearing this as a primer. I have oily lids and have to wear primer daily if I want my shadow to last more than an hour. I like that this is a cooler flesh tone. It makes a nice canvas for my shadows to go over. But, I never wear this as an eyeshadow alone - the color just wouldn't suit me. Lately, I've been having fun trying out other primers and they're nice. However, if I could only have one primer in my makeup bag, it would be Painterly hands down.