October 21, 2014 | 2051 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2009 5:50:00 PM More reviews by freckleP

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this thing. I live in New Zealand so sun protection is very important, even on a cloudy day.

I have dry, sensitive skin with freckles. The tint blends with my Asian skin tone effortlessly (it's almost like a primer to me), the consistency is easy to spread and it gets absorbed quickly. (The tint would suit Caucasian skin tone too. The SPF40 one is too pink for me.) It does get a tad greasy, just like all other sunscreens, but foundation still goes on top easily.

I like the shape of the tube and the way it dispenses - it's easy to control how much you need.

This gave me good protection with everyday use, I don't get a bloom of freckles. But if you were going to the beach, I would recommend re-applying it every 2 hours or get a higher SPF.

All in all, a very good product. Definitely would buy again!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2009 6:29:00 AM More reviews by Jexxie123

This sunscreen has SPF 25 in it. It is oil free (thatís one thing I love about this sunscreen) and it is fragrance free. I have never experience breakouts with this. No pimples, nothing! It is silicone based primer and it is somehow tinted. I donít like the fact that it is tinted though. I have oily skin and it helps absorbs my excess oil. I use this as a primer below my foundation and other makeup application too. To be honest, I donít really like it as a primer. It doesnít really make my makeup stays on for long. At the end of the day (7-9 hours of application) it leaves my skin feeling greasy and not fresh at all (even though I use blotting papers throughout the day). Anyways, I still like this product as a sunscreen itself.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/22/2009 5:03:00 AM More reviews by Ainslie99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I don't usually go for Clinique products but this one is the exception.
This is a good all round product that makes morning prep much easier as it a primer and sunblock all in one. It does take a few mins to set before adding powder but this can be fixed by using prep & prime to speed it up. You can use it right around your eyes as well

rated 1 of 5 on 9/17/2009 2:20:00 AM More reviews by Sungheeya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had to return this. It gave me a bad reaction! When I used it all over my face, it seemed OK. Made my skin a bit pale so I tried to make up for it by using darker foundation. It just ended up looking like a mask, an aged one. The worst part is that over the day, my skin felt suffocated. It became rough and congested and I broke out. When I went to wash this stuff off, it seemed to want to take the top layer of my skin with it. I experienced horrible peeling! Now I have to work to undo the damage.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2009 1:52:00 PM More reviews by heeji16

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I love this product as a primer. It is great under a light dusting of powder or under liquid foundation. I don't have oily skin but I find that it is quite oily/dewy alone. But with a little bit of powder, a little bit of laguna and some pink lipstick, I'm ready to go! I actually really like this product. It smoothes out my face for a nice clean canvas for my makeup and it has SPF. I'm not in the sun much, but I feel SPF is a must in makeup! I would not recommend alone, but with any kind of powder to set it I recommend to all! Will definitely be purchasing again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2009 11:38:00 PM More reviews by grace999

I'm Asian and I have combination skin. I've tried some department stores brand like Shiseido Anessa sunscreen before and find that it irritates my skin very much. I've been using Clinique's city block SPF 25 sunscreen for more than 1 year and have repurchased it once. I still find that it's the best sunscreen I've ever used and is suitable for my combination + sensitive skin. I don't get break-outs or red patches after wearing it for more than 8 hours everyday, although occasionally some pimples might occur on my cheeks but it's nothing serious. I love it as it uses physical sunblocking ingrediants rather than chemical sunblocking ingrediants like neutrogena or other drug store brands does. Physical sunblocking active ingrediants include Iron oxide, Titanium dioxide that can minimize the harm done to skin while giving you a thorough sunblock. Physical sunblocking reflects the UVA/UVB rays while chemcial sunblocking absorbs UVA/UVB rays. Clinique has a good and long history of making physical sunblocking sunscreens and I think it's a very trustworthy brand. The price is acceptable and is lower than other big department store's brands like Shiseido, Lancome, etc. which sometimes work less as ideal as Clinique does.
This sunscreen evens out my skin tone but makes my face looks a bit pearly white due to the sunscreen ingrediants. When you first apply it on the face, you might find it a bit thick and shiny, but the product is actually oil-free. You might need to wait for a while for it to sink in, then you put on some powder on top to set the look. I use Clinique's stay-matte powder, which is perfect as a finishing touch after this sheer block sunscreen. Besides, this stay-matte powder controls shine and only gives a very very light coverage, making you look very natural like with no make-up on. Anyway, I'd recommend this sunscreen to people who have hard times finding a good sunscreen for their easily-irritated skin like mine.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2009 11:35:00 AM More reviews by Saraharas

This product is quite thick and pasty-looking straight out of the tube when you first put it on your face, but it sinks in in a few moments and leaves skin soft and matte, not greasy or silicone-slippery at all. And although this is not a primer per say, it works well as one because when I put my foundation on over it, my foundation looks nice for the rest of the day. Does not irritate or cause breakouts.

However, my mother, who has darker skin than me (I'm an NC25, she's NC40ish), says she finds that it leaves a whitish cast on her face, so I don't know that this would be good for darker skins.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2009 2:34:00 AM More reviews by zzhan616

very oily
others is all right
you cannot expect a sunscreen to moisture, to white, its function is to block the sunlight. in this way I think it runs well
although it is a little bit oily, I use it for facial sunscreen, and with my MAC powder my doesn't look very shiny, so I think it is acceptable.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2009 8:50:00 AM More reviews by winterfairy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great product. I was scared when I applied it for the first time because it made my face look terrible - so oily and shiny. I've waited more than half an hour to sink in, but no - shine was there and some unpleasant sticky feeling. But with loose powder on top - it turned out to be fantastic product - better primer than all the others I've tried, very good sunscreen and I hope it has enough antioxidants for my 30+ skin. No breakouts and no blackheads, which is great.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2009 11:38:00 AM More reviews by Safin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Actually this sunscreen is doing a very good job.
It blends in nice, it is not oily and it blocks the sun very good.

Unfortunately it has con's too.
I don't like the brown colour (it stains).
It looks awful when you start to sweat (with sports), it becomes sort of caky/granular.