September 19, 2014 | 908 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 4/5/2013 4:44:00 PM More reviews by philipjfryxx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

MAC NC15-20; Revlon Colorstay: Sand beige 180
Combination skin - dry cheeks & chin, oily nose and quite oily forehead.
- - -
COLOUR:
I have it in colour 20, i can wear it on its own, but it's little bit too light so i usually mix it with my MAC matchmaster 2.0

PACKAGING:
Okay. At first; the packaging is CRAZZZZZY! It looks so smaaaaall! I saw some pictures & videos of it before buying it (i bought it online without trying it - crazy right?). You get 1 fl. oz./30ml which is really a standart size of almost every foundation.
So; handy, really travel-friendly, but plastic, looking cheap and the letters rub off. THAAAAT SUUUUCKS.

TEXTURE:
Well... Creamy. Not liquidy at all, but also not thick, just nice & creamy. Blendeable.

COVERAGE:
Medium. Always, when somebody says "Yayyy this is full coverage" and then i try it, always i end up with maybe medium. I don't know, but this is not full. But with layering, it can be. With one layer, it's the better medium. Better than Colorstay.

FINISH:
Well.. Matte. Really matte. I hoped this will have that beautifully smooth velvety (well it says it's Mat VELVET, so you'd expect that right?) matte finish, but no. It is the typical matte, almost dry looking finish. Nice, but not really natural.

LASTING POWER:
I don't have problem with ANY foundation in case of the lasting power. I apply my foundation everyday at 7.00 and remove it probably at about 18.00-20.00 and it still looks okay. Already not that matte, of course, after few hours i am little bit shiny on my nose, but whatever. Depens on a primer or powder you use.

APPLICATION:
I dot this all over my face (no putting on the back of my hand, no. This is creamier than my other liquid foundations, so for me, it is better to dot it on my face 'cause otherwise my brushes just soak a lot of product) I use round top kabuki brushes (Ecotools Bamboo Bronzer Brush)

PRICE:
WOHOHO! You're paying at least $42 (depends on where you buy it, on our country it's $55) for a PIECE OF PLASTIC with some 30ml of liquid in it. Crazy right?

WORTH IT/REPURCHASE:
No. It is a nice foundation, but the difference between this and some cheaper ones i tried is not that huge (Colorstay, you know i'm talking about you! :P)

SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH BTW

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2013 3:51:00 PM More reviews by jaytothehay

I have difficult skin, starting with-extremely oily. But flakey. Its retarded. I have controlled my flakiness with microdermabrasion. But am still overly oily. This make up-I wear #35 I think. Is incredible. you only need a bit to cover face and neck (with the right primer-porefessional) It has long lasting wear. It does not oxidize. Or spread-which most foundations do on my skin because I am so oily. It has great coverage and makes my skin look flawless.-even tho it doesn't stay completely mat all day because of my skin. It never looks greasy!

I also like that it comes in a squeeze bottle because it feels like I am getting every last drop.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2013 1:08:00 AM More reviews by cgw1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I should have never tried this. I have combo/dry skin and this just clung to my dry patches and made me even drier. The good news is that 20 was a perfect match for me, more perfect than any foundation I've tried. I could see this working for people with oily skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2013 2:41:00 PM More reviews by humc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

My skin type is EXTREMELY oily, acne-prone, and i have uneven/redness skintone. My hopes for this foundation was that it would even out my skin tone and provide great lasting power.

However, I was disappointed. Thankfully, I only got a sample from Sephora in shade 15 Alabaster (the lightest shade). Because I got a sample, I cannot comment on the packaging quality.

I tried my sample this morning and I absolutely hated it. I have to say though, I did go on and blend very nicely (I applied with my Sigma F80 flat top brush). However, though I am quite pale, the shade I got was too light for me and I looked awful- it also did not match my neck. I set it with my setting powder and it looked okay...but I cannot wait to shower tonight and take it off.

I wish I could have taken if off right after applying it, but I had to leave for class. After my class, I was talking on my phone and afterwards, the foundation transferred onto my phone case- GROSS! When I arrived back at my apartment, the foundation looked so obvious and looked slightly splotchy in areas. It also did nothing as far as controlling my extremely oily skin.

I thought about going back to Sephora to get a sample of the next darker shade, but I am not going to waste my time.

Bottom line- I will not purchase this foundation. If you have extremely oily skin, this will most likely not work for you- its staying power is horrendous. However, everyone's skin is different so I highly recommend picking up samples before purchasing!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/26/2013 1:06:00 PM More reviews by StellaXYH

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this for last summer as I wanted a light waterproof foundation for oily skin. It's indeed light, and doesn't provide much coverage. I was prepared for this and it doesn't bother me that much. It doesn't keep my face matte, either. But still I can be ok with it since no other foundation I tried so far could completely keep matte, especially in summer.

The one big problem that finally held me back was that it was not really waterproof either. It litterally melt down on my face with my sweat even when I wore a primer under it. Even my other non waterproof foundations could resist longer.

I'd probably not recommend it for skins that have acne scares or pore conditions. I'd probably not repurchase it, either.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2013 3:32:00 PM More reviews by lmad5989

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I recently switched from the HD foundation to the matte. The HD didn't have great coverage and it made my face super oily. I applied the matte foundation with a sponge, and I love it! Great coverage, and no worries about patting down my face. If you have oily skin, this is great for it. Applying it with a sponge is the best way to go. It gives off an airbrush look!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2013 11:17:00 AM More reviews by nirvana9

i don't find mat velvet to be overly mattifying. i've found myself dewy after the first couple of hours wearing this. so the name misled me. that said, on me i find it to be a natural looking foundation. the coverage is medium and i don't find it cakey or thick. it does try fast however so definitely consider that when applying. i might repurchase because i have a decent shade match in this foundation.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2013 2:35:00 PM More reviews by sweetfart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

My opinions sway back and forth on this one. I am around an NC25-NC30 right now, although I'm really neutral toned I like yellow tones. I use #40. I have extremely oily skin, and I tried EL Double Wear, Revlon CS, Dior Forever, and many powder foundations including Mac SF powder.

Pros: by far the best matte finish of all matte foundations. It really does live up to it's name of being velvety. It's a smoother, buttery type of matte rather than flat, dry paint matte texture like EL Double Wear. It is full coverage upon two or three applications. The bottle is very hygienic as well.

Cons: awful color range, especially for yellow tones. All the shades have this unflattering greyish beige tint to it (perhaps the mattifying ingredients cause it) and it just makes the complexion look dull and almost dead. Also, the staying power is pretty bad. It started melting away from my nose and chin within a few hours and by the end of the work day, it was fading from my face and just made me look dirty.

Without blotting or powdering, I broke shine within about 4 hours. That's a little better than the 2 hours I start getting oily with other foundations.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/10/2013 7:49:00 AM More reviews by Meloen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have very oily skin and this product doesn't help at all ! 20 min. after application it starts to get oily :/

I even tried it with : Urban Decay setting spray (still oily)
Urban Decay: De-slick mattifying powder (oily)
Their own expensive primer : Make-up forever "All Mat" (very oily!)

So, basically..never again. Waste of my money.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 2:08:00 PM More reviews by glllkt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This foundation is perfect for oily/ acne prone skin. It provides me with total coverage over spots, and with a light gel primer underneath it stays for hours and looks perfect all night. (Just make sure to wash thoroughly before bedtime, because primer + foundation for a long period of time will clog pores and can lead to breakouts). For daytime use I skip the primer and just use it for spot and under eye coverage, which works great too!

I'm not a person who spends a lot of money on expensive cosmetics, but to me, this foundation is worth it.