August 1, 2014 | 1864 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2013 9:09:00 PM More reviews by Etiolated

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've tried multiple foundation brushes and sponges but they just don't give me the finish I'm after - too streaky. So for the last year I've just been applying with fingers. This is the first foundation 'tool' I've purchased in a long, long while, and they only reason I wanted to try it is because of the fantastic reviews it endlessly receives. I use this with Revlon Colorstay liquid in Ivory. The slight moisture in the sponge really helps with the application, especially because Colorstay is known for being a pain to blend due to fast drying times. For people worried about too sheer a coverage, don't worry - I have acne scarring on my cheeks as well as some active acne. The coverage is TOTALLY buildable to whatever you require, and I find it does the job perfectly for me. I'm a full coverage girl. You can add another layer on problem areas while having it more sheer elsewhere without your face looking "patchy". I've only used it a handful of times and I can confidently tell I will not be going back to using my fingers! I have pale, highly sensitive skin and this product has not irritated me at all (some people were having reactions to the pink dye). As others have mentioned, the one and only negative is the unnecessary high price. For $26 you feel almost ripped off, but then you try it and it's so good it seems justifiable.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2013 2:31:00 PM More reviews by Freebirdsoul

With over 400 reviews already, this product is obviously a must try for anyone who wears foundation.

I, like most people - made the mistake of buying a knock off 5 dollar beauty blender from Ulta. I used it twice and then threw it into the deep dark abyss with my other failed beauty buys. It was hard, uncomfortable to hold, and didn't blend well. It wasn't until hearing at least 5 youtube gurus say 'YOU HAVE TO USE THE REAL BB', that I realized I had made a mistake.

I found a 2 for 25 deal on ebay, which is a STEAL.

Needless to say, it has become my foundation application staple. I was previously using a RT brush which has now been set aside. The BB truly does give the most soft, flawless, natural looking foundation application hands down.

I will say, it blends your foundation out to a natural/medium coverage. For me, this is actually a life saver. I found that with the brush I would often pack on TOO much foundation and look cakey.

Wet it and ring it out before use. Its the way to go.

It might bug me a little bit that I cant get it too look entirely clean after washing it. But, oh well. I haven't had any breakouts so I think that I'm cleaning it thoroughly enough!

Get blending :)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2013 1:55:00 PM More reviews by Makeupmafia90

Bought this item at my local Sephora and could not WAIT to get home to play with it! It is amazing. Applies foundation so flawlessly! & I can appreciate the pointed tip for concealer application because it put my under eye wonderfully as well. I will repurchase if needed. It is a little pricey $20 but totally worth it!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2013 8:59:00 AM More reviews by Anera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I had those cheap BBs but boy-oh-boy this one is the King of BBs! The big, damp sponge makes the foundation look seamless and the skin baby soft. I have never been so satisfied with a buffing brush as I am with the BB.
The huge downside is that the sponge is EXPENSIVE! I hope I'll manage with one for a year, because it's not a good investment: if you replace it 2 a year, you end up spending more than for a HQ brush.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2013 1:23:00 AM More reviews by wendycoco

Ugh this is a product I wanted to hate cause it's so expensive!! About a year ago I decided to try one of the fake ones cause there was no way that a cheap $5 sponge could not be just as "great" as a $26 one. Of course the cheap one sucked so I got over my want for one. After seeing some of my favorite YouTubers raving about it and how the fake ones don't compare I've decided to bite the bullet and try it. My exact words while purchasing it was that it better make my foundation look so amazing that unicorns and mermaids appear. Holy crap the sponge truely it magical. I don't even have to look in the mirror while I'm doing my foundation and somehow it's still perfectly blended. I am in love with a tiny pink sponge.
Now I have tried some other fake ones still hoping for a reasonably priced dupe. Only one that comes close is one by quo a brand that's sold at shoppers drug mart in Canada it only costs $5. It's a different shape and tends to stay wet longer which I don't like but it's just as soft and does a decent job blending.
For people who prefer a more full coverage application what I find best for this is before I get in shower I wet the beauty blender and let it dry for about 20 mins. This is a little trick that the beautiful makeup by alli suggested on her YouTube channel.
I also have no issues getting it clean, I use antibacterial dish soap and it comes out spotless. I usually wash after every 3rd use.
Only complaints is that you will need to repurchase unlike a brush that will last years. Also I have long nails so they tend to dig into the poor beauty blender which will most likely shorten it's life span :(
Believe the hype people especially when people tell you nothing compare. Cause really nothing does.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2013 12:04:00 AM More reviews by Lilianna16

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I actually really like my BB. It gives very sheer coverage of foundation, so it would be good to use with thicker more full coverage. I still use it with a light coverage foundation because it truly gives the look of no makeup. It makes foundation undetectable on the skin. Yes, you do use more product because of how sheer it makes foundation, but it evens out because you can still build coverage but no get cakey with multiple layers.

The best thing about it is touchups. After a 10 hour workday, I can touch up my makeup to go out somewhere and it brings it back to that nice look, without caking up over what I already have. Nothing has done that before, not even my fingers. Everything would look so dull and heavy, but not with this.

The only thing I worry about is bacteria. Hopefully cleaning it after each use will help to deter that. You could also hit it with some rubbing alcohol to disinfect. As for the price, I don't think it's ridiculous as you will use in place of a brush, which are much more expensive that $20.

I would say try it, especially with dry skin as the bouncing motion will not pick up flakes. But still, any skin type can use it. It's worh it to finally get a beautiful, soft, natural finish makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2013 10:27:00 AM More reviews by vuvie

I love these babies! Perfect for dewy sheer coverage.

Just wet it, squeeze out the water and blend. Tip for around the nose and hard to reach places. Rounded bottom for the cheeks and any other flat surface. Just youtube for how to use beauty blender. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 9/24/2013 2:47:00 AM More reviews by marmejia87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

ATTENTION people who consider to buy BeautyBlender. Actually this works. It gives me a beautiful luminous and blended evenly on my face BUT this is NOT for the full coverage application. Currently you're using a heavy foundation such as ER double wear or Revlon colorstay and you've liked its nice coverage, please avoid this item. This is rather for luminous and light coverage make up and it exactly does the same job as just wearing any kind of luminous foundations. I just prefer to use these for natural make up instead of beauty blender - make it wet, squeeze it, then blend it all over my face! such a annoying steps.
People who need full coverage make up please avoid this item and don't waste your money. If you look for natural and glow skin make up, just try another foundation - Makeup Forever Face&Body foundation, George Armani Luminous Silk foundation, BB cream, and etc..they also gives beautiful luminous on your skin without this expensive sponge.

Pros: It helps to blend foundation evenly, it gives me a nice luminous look but it's exactly the same as wearing a BB cream

Con: No coverage at all.

Hope this review helps you:)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2013 3:44:00 PM More reviews by alextuthreefour

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

All of you who think this little guy is just a glorified sponge...I was in the same boat as you. Keyword...WAS! I recently purchased this from Sephora for $19.95 (quite steep for a sponge I will admit) but I am very pleased with how it works. After running it under some cold water, I like cold because it is refreshing when applying my makeup, it doubles in size and is much softer and squishier than other sponges. It applies makeup flawlessly, and doesn't leave cakeyness or streaks. I find it also helps my foundation go a long way. For example, when using Laura Mercier Silk Creme, I only need less than a pea sized amount to cover my entire face when using the Beauty Blender.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2013 5:03:00 AM More reviews by Nurhidayah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Throw away all your face brushes! This beauty blender overtakes all my face brushes that I have. Been using this for almost 10 months now and it is great! I always buy the ones with 2 beauty blenders inside because it is more worth it! I use 1 sponge for 6 months before throwing it out. I'm on my 2nd sponge right now.

I clean this with my cleanser and the foundation in this comes off right away. I never tried the sponger cleaner because I find that it is a waste of money since I have other products that can have the same effect in removing the foundation in it.

This blends foundation effortlessly. I mostly use liquid and power foundations so I am not sure how it is for cream foundations. I use Estee Lauder's Double Wear foundation about 3 times a week and this sponge does not make it look cakey at all!

I never tried any knockoff versions of this before and I am glad that I did not because that would be a waste of money. This beauty blender is totally worth every single dollar. I use it everytime now. I haven't touched my brushed ever since