August 30, 2014 | 929 users online

Mascara - Lancome - Definicils Mascara

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2012 2:05:00 PM More reviews by karissajean

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have got to say, I love this mascara. But it's also worth noting that I never wear this mascara by itself, because while it lengthens and separates beautifully... it can give you thin, spidery lashes used on it's own. So I pair it with L'oreal Voluminous mascara (L'oreal first as base, then Lancome) and I have gotten A TON of compliments on my eyes. The combo really brings out my lashes and has amazing staying power that never flakes. These two are my HG combo for now, morning, noon, or night try it for yourself! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2012 6:39:00 AM More reviews by lishlash

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my go-to everyday mascara. Amazing for sensitive eyes. Gives you great definition and length, and looks and feels lovely and natural.

I had previously really struggled with wearing mascara during the day - I wear contacts and have very easily irritated eyes - 99% of mascaras, even my HG's for evening (Buxom Lash and Aramani Eyes to Kill) will eventually turn me into an itchy, red eyed, mascara hating monster if worn for a 12 hour day.

Cue my eye-saver - Lancome Defincils. Once this mascara is on I literally forget it's there. I can't feel it once on at all, which for me is the most important thing for a daytime mascara. It never clumps, makes my lashes look lovely and long, soft to the touch and I can apply it in 10 seconds and it lasts until I take it off at night.

Removal is super easy, and I never have residue left over. It's not waterproof - but also not the kind to streak down your face if it does get wet, more of a smudger.

If you're looking for a dramatic, fake lash look, then this is not the mascara for you - but if you want a long wearing daytime / work friendly mascara this is definitely my HG.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/29/2012 3:36:00 PM More reviews by skylights90n

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Expensive, a brush that is useless, and mascara no better than a cheap discount store brand. Lancome Aquacils was the best mascara ever created!!! When they discontinued it (I assume because it was waterproof) they didn't do their clients a favor by this substitution. If you like thin wimpy lashes this is the one. For me, Definicils was a waste of my money and I am back on the hunt for a great mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2012 1:19:00 AM More reviews by auburngreen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

If you want long, skinny, defined lashes, without clumping, this could be your formula! I wear this each and every day- the only time I stray is for evening looks, in which case I turn to Hypnose or any other volumizing mascara. This is NOT for a dramatic, falsies look.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2012 8:40:00 PM More reviews by ebabeba

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My eyes are super sensitive to mascara, and I had given up on wearing it at all for years! Until I found Lancome's Definicils mascara. It doesn't irritate at all, and I love the formula. Excellent product.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/15/2012 11:06:00 PM More reviews by jerky283

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

at first i really liked this mascara but i am not a fan!!! it clumps so easily and the packaging is cheap for a more expensive mascara. It doesnt add any length or thicken my lashes and makes them look slightly darker and gives them a more natural look. I would not spend that much for mascara to get a natural look. will stick to my dior mascara, which i love!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/7/2012 5:06:00 PM More reviews by compassionista

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Not a fan of this at all. It actually seemed decent at first, but the formula turned clumpy after just a few uses, made my lashes look spidery/stringy, and I found the wand difficult to work with. Will not repurchase, especially for so much $$. Boo.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2012 7:13:00 PM More reviews by hebrides

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have learned from experimenting in the past two years that there is no one perfect mascara. I learned that I have to layer different brands to get any kind of decent results. I tried Lancome Definicils on the advice of the cosmetics counter girl. I had read about Lancome's other mascara, Hypnose, and wanted to try it but she said Definicils was better. So I got it and I was disappointed. I learned the cheaper Cover Girl and Maybelline brands are better. There is no holy grail of mascara.

Here is what is wrong with Definicils. Mainly, the brush is long and skinny, and it is hard not to poke your eye. Applying it safely is difficult. This is bad design. As for coverage, it is no better than any other mascara. It has dried out in only 2 months and is not worth even using with others in layers. I expected far more for $30. I expected lush and feathery lashes and didn't get them. The sales girl said this would give me that effect. If you do put on 2 or 3 coats the result is spidery and stiff, not feathery. If you use one coat there is no result. It is only useful as a base for other mascaras.

So, back to the drawing board. For now, I will use my old standbys in layers. This one I'll throw out soon. Maybe someday I will find a mascara that does something when you put on the first coat, and builds up to a natural long length and doesn't look spiky.

Update on April 24 - 3 months later.
This mascara completely dried out in less than the normal four month shelf life and so it doesn't even go on. Two or three coats causes big clumps and it has to be thrown out. It cannnot be used for layering with other brands. I already knew I would never buy this again but some mascaras improve with time (they may go on better when they dry out a bit). This one just got worse.

Update on May 7, 2014 : I got a new full sized Definicils in a beauty bag from Lancome so I tried it out. I must say, it has not improved. Here is what it's like: no matter how many coats, there is no way to build up the lashes very much, and there is no lengthening. Just darkness and volume. It does separate the lashes nicely and doesn't clump. But the results are ho-hum, not much better than Maybelline Great Lash. It is clear to me that Chanel Le Volume and Hypnose Star are both better than this.
Pros: nicely defined lashes, dark lashes, no clumps, natural looking
Cons: thin brush, no lengthening at all, does not build up even with 3 coats.

I'll leave it at three stars as it's not a failure, but not the best.

Update May 22, 2014: I would give this three and a half stars if I could. While not perfect by itself, it is fabulous for layering with others. It is performing very well suddenly. One of my other recent mascara purchases has already dried up in a few weeks (Covergirl Bombshell) so I put some of the Definicils on top and it gave me beautiful long lush lashes. It is only a few weeks old also but it is now the perfect consistency. I still don't plan to buy it again because I have several other possibilities to try first. I just wanted to say it is better than I gave it credit for before.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2012 10:14:00 AM More reviews by map28210

this has been my go-to mascara for years. I love, love,love it. I like the coloring- in either black or dark brown- and I think one tube lasts forever even though I wear it everyday. Doesn't clump if you use properly (don't reapply too much or any mascara will get clumpy) and make my lashes look longer and full. I have used other mascaras-drugstore and make up counter brands, and this one is my favorite. They do seem to raise the price every year or two, but I keep paying it!
I don't use any other Lancome products but this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2011 7:10:00 AM More reviews by neonrain

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My HG mascara, for sure! Lately I've been experimenting with other brands of mascara, but NOTHING tops this one. It will lengthen your lashes without flaking or smudging and lasts all day long. Don't bother with falsies. This mascara will do the trick. Trust me.