April 19, 2014 | 1432 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2010 1:56:00 PM More reviews by saraevamaya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my first time trying a loose mineral powder (only liquids in the past) and I think I'm a convert for life. The coverage is easily customizable and Alima's color selection is seriously superb. I only ordered samples at first (but will order full sizes soon) and am impressed by how long they're lasting - excellent value. I wouldn't say dirt cheap but seriously economical. Delivery was also very prompt and it's only $65 for free ship (I find most sites are $100).

I have acne-prone, oily-yet-easily-dried-out, sensitive skin and find that this powder does a nice job reducing shine while keeping me glowy/fresh. It would certainly be possible to overdo it and apply way too much and look powdery, but as long as I pay attention to the amount I'm using there's no problem. It's key to make sure that I exfoliate once or twice/wk and that I've used moisturizer so that the minerals don't stick to dry, flaky skin, but I don't need to do anything above and beyond my regular skin care in order to wear this well.

I wouldn't recommend this for people with seriously dry skin. Other than that, I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2010 10:42:00 PM More reviews by hellbreaker

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

So this is hands-down my HG mineral foundation!
PROS:
-Incredibly wide selection of shades to select (60 in fact). I'm pretty sure that it impossible for them to NOT have your shade. But, just in case, for $2 they will custom blend a shade just for you. If you're still unsure, you can order samples for $1 a piece.
-FOUR ingredients.This is great if you have sensitivities to ingredients other mineral makeup uses. No bismuth-oxychloride!
-Buildable coverage. You can apply this sparingly and get a fresh complexion, but you can also build it up for fuller coverage.

CONS:
-Well, I haven't found any yet :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2010 4:42:00 PM More reviews by Angelic1o7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

So far, I prefer this mineral makeup to others i have tried....Everyday Minerals, and Terrafirma. I like the simplicity of the ingredients and it gives great coverage.

I do have dry skin so i make sure i exfoliate, moisturize and use a primer or else my flakes get accentuated. I also use the color balancing powders buttercup (yellow) and pistachio (green) to tone down the redness before i apply the foundation.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/25/2010 3:30:00 PM More reviews by randi2515

Really wanted to love this product but just can't say that I do. This was just too hard to find a color match. Everything ended up looking too cakey and did not provide enough coverage. I love the fact that you can order samples off the website for cheap, but still wasn't able to find a color I liked. Wish I liked this more because I liked the "natural"-ness of it, but mineral make up is just not for me.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2010 8:39:00 PM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This foundation looked incredible on me and actually covered my acne scars and rosacea pretty well. It's more matte than EDM, which I love, and I find that setting powder is optional. Unfortunately, this made me break out almost IMMEDIATELY after application. My face has been consistently clear for the past several months and I've been looking for something with heavy duty, but lightweight coverage for the warmer months. This is probably the 9th mmu I've tried that has broken me out, so I've come to the conclusion that I must be allergic to one of the ingredients, most likely the mica.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2010 10:53:00 PM More reviews by aclev

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

favorite favorite favorite. i luuuuuuuurve mineral makeup and this is the best i've tried.

the formula is great. no bismuth = no itchy scratchy red cheeks for me. the texture is divine; almost creamy and very soft. the color selection is phenomonal. they have great samples that are cheap (i think $1.50), and are very generous-i got about a weeks' worth of wear from each sample. i ordered 4 samples; 0 and 1 in cool and neutral just to see what would work best with my skin tone. i have always had MAJOR issues finding foundation that matches my skin. i like the neutrals the best, even though i think i'm officially cool, to me the cool samples were too pink. i'll be using the 1 in the summer and the 0 in the winter; although i obviously don't ( and can't) tan, the 1 tones down my natural neon glow just a touch for a more summery feel.

i'll buy alima again and again. their customer service is fantastic, and shipping is reasonable. i'm so glad mua turned me on to this company!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2010 3:40:00 PM More reviews by shanstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been wearing this makeup for a few weeks now and have been soooo impressed with it! It has an almost creamy texture to it and wears flawlessly throughout the day. It literally melts into my skin and leaves a completely flawless finish, yet it's nearly imperceptible. It looks as if I have perfect skin, not as if I'm wearing makeup. I don't need to blot until VERY late in the day (5ish), if then. There is no bismuth (which means much less irritation)...as a matter of fact, the ingredients list is incredibly short: Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Mica, and "may contain" Iron Oxides.
The color selection is amazing with this line, especially for lighter skin tones like mine, and they offer an "Ask the Makeup Artist" feature on the website wherein their in-house makeup artist Terresa will personally recommend foundation colors to you based on colors you currently wear in other brands. That helped me tremendously! She nailed my color on the first try (N1)...perfect match! This was perfect for me as I'm not patient enough to go through sampling colors, which they offer. The samples are very generous and do come in small jars, not baggies as some MMU companies offer.

Shipping was incredibly fast, as well. My products were shipped the day of my transaction (incredible) and arrived completely across country in 3 days. Well done, Alima! You've definitely earned a customer for life!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2010 1:04:00 AM More reviews by lilmissyblee1981

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Ill compare this to BE because that's what I've been using. As far as overall, Alima's foundation blows BE away and here's why: BE went on well and looked good-when I first put it on. After a few hours and my skin oils had mixed with it, it looked HORRIBLE-it slid off my face, looked cakey all over, and there's NO retouching this stuff....in fact, the more you try, the worse it looks. Alima is in fact the only MMU that I've tried that not only looks good when you put it on, but it wears at least twice as long without oily breakthrough and when you DO need to touch it up, it blends with itself nicely. Admittedly BE seems to go on smoother and more even on initial application but what's the point if it looks like crap after an hour? Much rather put the effort into a better MMU.

As far as color, I'll admit I haven't found the perfect shade yet. I got golden 0 and golden 1 (btw, the foundation samples they give last for days and they included samples of finishing powder, blush and eye shadow...not bad :D) Golden 1 was a tad too dark and way too yellowy for me-a surprise cause I have yellowy skin as I'm half Asian-and golden 0 was the right amount of yellow but it's more of an ecru shade-really really light. I would say I'm right in between, and my next step is to maybe try blending the 2 colors, or try the warm instead of golden undertone. I have to say though that the online swatches are really accurate, I had a feeling the golden 1 was too dark just by looking at the swatch.

Also although I haven't utilized all of Alima's website and customer service options I can say that I got my order in about 2 days for $2.00 s&h which IMO constitues a kudos in customer service but...ok, I was reviewing the makeup, right? :) I'm just impressed with Alima and plan to buy full sizes even if I have to mix the colors to get my shade...I mean, that's part of the beauty of MMU right?

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2010 3:06:00 PM More reviews by Chessicle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My three best friends love mineral makeup. I tried twice (mall brands) and hated it. The first time I looked like an Oompa-Loompa. The second time I looked like my makeup will probably look when I am dead.

To be honest, it's not easy for me to find ANY kind of makeup that matches. I have had makeup artists tell me I am "olive, not olive, beige, golden, medium - whatever that means, and warm."

Two weeks ago I was out with my friends and they told me my makeup looked terrible. They suggested Alima Pure and told me to read everything about matching my skin and then to order enough samples to make sure I nailed it.

It was actually a lot to read but if you are having trouble matching your skin it is very thorough and helpful.

I ended up ordering a lot of samples but one is actually perfect - at least for right now until I get some sun.

For the first time I can remember I really like the way foundation looks and feels. I have learned not to apply too much and to wait about 10 minutes to see how it really looks.

I also think it's easier to clean off. Maybe I was putting too much creamy makeup on.

I am really excited about looking natural and great. I have uneven skin tone and I can't believe how much a tiny bit of the right powder does to make me look like I have good skin! (Not perfect, but good!)

Now I am interested in learning how to use other mineral makeup. I think this is the future since its better for the environment, health, etc.

Thanks for reading!

Chess

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2010 3:34:00 AM More reviews by aliawilk123

HG. It hasn't made me break out! yay! The packaging is also adorable, and I am a sucker for cute packaging ;) As far as coverage, it covers all my discoloration and acne perfectly, and my family can't even tell I'm wearing make up. It's really comfortable, has really good staying power, and is the perfect color (C2). Overall, it's just a really great foundation. The product is also packed it super tight, so it's almost like using a compact. I took the sifter off of mine and use a flocked sponge to apply.