September 21, 2014 | 1071 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2010 4:03:00 PM More reviews by pinkkittyd

HG foundation for sure! I have tried so many over the years and was even more desperate to try and find a really decent MMU. Tried a wide variety of "natural" and department store brands, always came up cakey, orange or irritated. Tried Alima thanks to MUA reviews and OH MY GOODNESS!
For the first time EVER have coverage, correct color and no irritation or breakouts! It does go on a tad powdery but within a short amount of time is creamy and dreamy! Definitely give it a try :0) Customer service is bar none too!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2010 5:09:00 PM More reviews by HelenaS

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been wearing this product in Chiffon (which is now called Neutral 1) for 3 years now. And I haven't strayed once to another foundation until last week, when I tried MAC Skinfinish Natural just to see if I could find a mineral-based foundation in a compact form that worked. I hate loose powder! I liked the MAC, but when I go back and forth between the 2 brands I like Alima better. For one thing, it is a better color match. For another, it goes on more lightly and the coverage is easier to build without getting cakey. And finally, Alima is a more pure product with fewer ingredients. I have some mild rosacea and I don't need anything clogging my pores or causing irritation. I think the MAC was causing a bit of irritation, which could have been from the bismuth.

Anyway, this is the best foundation I have ever used. I dust it on dry with a kabuki brush and add layers where needed. I do not have terribly oily skin, so it lasts pretty well on me throughout the day. In the summertime, I use Shiseido SPF55 which also acts as a primer, and that makes any makeup wear like iron, so no troubles there through the hot summer months. My Oil of Olay Complete, which I wear in winter, seems a bit more finicky about what goes on top of it, though. I can wear the Alima with it but I notice there is a bit more sheen and pore-exaggeration with the OoO. I will probably switch to a different moisturizer with SPF this winter for that reason.

The other great thing about Alima is the customer service and the value of this product. A full-sized container is $20, but it lasts FOREVER. I have had the same container for 3 years and it is only half-gone, and I use it daily!

I have recently ordered samples of the Alima Satin Finishing Powder and the Color Corrector Powder to help cover some more of my redness. The foundation alone does a great job when the rosacea is at bay, but to get flawless skin I need a little something extra to cut the redness on my cheeks. So I am going to try those products next. Samples are very cheap so it's easy to try different things from Alima.

All in all, an amazing product. When you consider that I am 43 and have tried dozens of foundations throughout my lifetime, and have used only Alima for the past 3 years, that really says something. I don't think I've ever stuck to one product that long before. That's how well it works!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/5/2010 11:30:00 PM More reviews by marikah

Made my skin look cakey. T-zone became oily and shiny after an hour even with setting powder.
Too bad Warm 2 was a perfect match for my fair asian skin... Olive 1 was a little too dark and yellow. Won't buy it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2010 4:37:00 PM More reviews by dachinkyloser

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love alima pure!
They have a wonderful number of shades available. I ordered several sample sizes of foundation, eyeliner, and bronzer.

Alima's customer service is amazing! I decided to add a foundation sample to my order and the customer service rep added the full size sample for free!
The packaging is cute and I have since ordered more samples. So far I have plenty of sample foundation left.
I don't think I'll ever splurge and buy the full size.

I use Warm 1 and Warm 2 mixed together. It gives me nice coverage and looks great after it has settled in. I even tried it as a spot treatment on a couple PMS pimples and the next morning they were smaller and less red!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2010 1:56:00 PM More reviews by saraevamaya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my first time trying a loose mineral powder (only liquids in the past) and I think I'm a convert for life. The coverage is easily customizable and Alima's color selection is seriously superb. I only ordered samples at first (but will order full sizes soon) and am impressed by how long they're lasting - excellent value. I wouldn't say dirt cheap but seriously economical. Delivery was also very prompt and it's only $65 for free ship (I find most sites are $100).

I have acne-prone, oily-yet-easily-dried-out, sensitive skin and find that this powder does a nice job reducing shine while keeping me glowy/fresh. It would certainly be possible to overdo it and apply way too much and look powdery, but as long as I pay attention to the amount I'm using there's no problem. It's key to make sure that I exfoliate once or twice/wk and that I've used moisturizer so that the minerals don't stick to dry, flaky skin, but I don't need to do anything above and beyond my regular skin care in order to wear this well.

I wouldn't recommend this for people with seriously dry skin. Other than that, I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2010 10:42:00 PM More reviews by hellbreaker

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

So this is hands-down my HG mineral foundation!
PROS:
-Incredibly wide selection of shades to select (60 in fact). I'm pretty sure that it impossible for them to NOT have your shade. But, just in case, for $2 they will custom blend a shade just for you. If you're still unsure, you can order samples for $1 a piece.
-FOUR ingredients.This is great if you have sensitivities to ingredients other mineral makeup uses. No bismuth-oxychloride!
-Buildable coverage. You can apply this sparingly and get a fresh complexion, but you can also build it up for fuller coverage.

CONS:
-Well, I haven't found any yet :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2010 4:42:00 PM More reviews by Angelic1o7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

So far, I prefer this mineral makeup to others i have tried....Everyday Minerals, and Terrafirma. I like the simplicity of the ingredients and it gives great coverage.

I do have dry skin so i make sure i exfoliate, moisturize and use a primer or else my flakes get accentuated. I also use the color balancing powders buttercup (yellow) and pistachio (green) to tone down the redness before i apply the foundation.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/25/2010 3:30:00 PM More reviews by randi2515

Really wanted to love this product but just can't say that I do. This was just too hard to find a color match. Everything ended up looking too cakey and did not provide enough coverage. I love the fact that you can order samples off the website for cheap, but still wasn't able to find a color I liked. Wish I liked this more because I liked the "natural"-ness of it, but mineral make up is just not for me.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2010 8:39:00 PM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This foundation looked incredible on me and actually covered my acne scars and rosacea pretty well. It's more matte than EDM, which I love, and I find that setting powder is optional. Unfortunately, this made me break out almost IMMEDIATELY after application. My face has been consistently clear for the past several months and I've been looking for something with heavy duty, but lightweight coverage for the warmer months. This is probably the 9th mmu I've tried that has broken me out, so I've come to the conclusion that I must be allergic to one of the ingredients, most likely the mica.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2010 10:53:00 PM More reviews by aclev

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

favorite favorite favorite. i luuuuuuuurve mineral makeup and this is the best i've tried.

the formula is great. no bismuth = no itchy scratchy red cheeks for me. the texture is divine; almost creamy and very soft. the color selection is phenomonal. they have great samples that are cheap (i think $1.50), and are very generous-i got about a weeks' worth of wear from each sample. i ordered 4 samples; 0 and 1 in cool and neutral just to see what would work best with my skin tone. i have always had MAJOR issues finding foundation that matches my skin. i like the neutrals the best, even though i think i'm officially cool, to me the cool samples were too pink. i'll be using the 1 in the summer and the 0 in the winter; although i obviously don't ( and can't) tan, the 1 tones down my natural neon glow just a touch for a more summery feel.

i'll buy alima again and again. their customer service is fantastic, and shipping is reasonable. i'm so glad mua turned me on to this company!