Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 6/18/2013 2:07:00 AM

THIS STUFF WORKS FOR EVERYTHING! i have been using it every day for about three or four years now and will never look back. it protects you from the sun, so no gross chemical loaded sun screen for me, thank you!

skin, hair, nails, food....

i get compliments all the time on how my skin looks and how great i smell.

i used to be a product junkie (boxes and boxes of products and makeup) but between coconut oil (organic virgin cold-pressed, try fair trade too! good for every body/every thing) olive oil, tea tree oil, baking soda, my one bar of natural body soap, and apple cider vinegar i look better than i ever have before AND i wake up looking this way! it feels so luxurious to oil your whole body after a shower or bath and even pop a bit in your mouth while you're at it for a sweet treat (once you get past idea of being used to how lotions and creams felt)

just google all the ways you can use this stuff.... i moisturize from my face to my toes, treat my hair, make deodorant out of it, i even use it for the Oil Pulling Method (an ancient ayurvedic practice) and it noticeably whitens my teeth. can't recommend it enough, spread the good word every body!

on 6/16/2013 8:08:00 PM

I use this right after i get out of the shower and my hair is still damp. I apply to the ends of my hair and it instantly makes it feel soft and moisturized. I do this routine about 3 times a week and it is helping my hair grow and shine like no other. I have turned this beauty tip to my friends and they also agree it is helping the texture and softness of their hair.

on 6/16/2013 7:54:00 PM

best-eye-makeup-remover-ever
I rub it in with my fingers, then remove it with some mild baby wipe. Then rub it in again, wait up for a minute and then use the wipe again. Everything is gone, be it three coats of 3 different brands of WP mascara, gel eyeliner, cream e/s, primer, anything.
I'll never bother buying cosmetic eye-MU remover ever again.

on 6/1/2013 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I agree with all other rave reviews. Coconut oil really is wonderful and you should try it. I have a jar from Trader Joes that cost less than 5 bucks in NYC. Cheapest yet most valuable beauty product ever. I use it on cuticles, feet, face, hair. I love the toasted coconut smell of the oil and the way it melts in your hands. Yum!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I'm old and jaded enough to hardly ever get evangelical about a product, but I so wish that a) I had realised what an awesome and truly multi-purpose natural product this is much sooner and b) that I could tell everybody out there to get a tub and try it. Here's how I use extra virgin unrefined coconut oil (the brand doesn't matter to me at all; I get whatever organic brand's available at the local health food store):

-I'm pregnant and use this to moisturise my bump (in fact it was during online research for natural, unscented moisturisers that are safe to use during pregnancy that I even stumbled on coconut oil as a beauty product)

-all over body moisturiser (it is especially brilliant at soothing razor rash on my legs and wherever else)

-to soothe minor irritations, cuts, burns

-as a fabulous pre-shampooing hair treatment (but NOT for use on dry hair between washes; it's simply too rich and weighs my straight hair down too much if not washed out)

-to moisturise my English bulldog's nose and face wrinkles (like many dogs with sensitive skin and skin folds, hers get sore and red if not regularly cleaned and moisturised. The coconut oil is having a fantastic healing effect on her skin and keeps it nicely conditioned)

-to add gloss and shine to our cat's coats (a bit rubbed between hands and smoothed on their coats does the trick)

-occasional teaspoon or two in our dog's and cats' food (benefits of coconut oil as a dietary addition for dogs and cats can be found by doing a bit of googling)

-occasionally for cooking and baking (adds delicious aroma to curries, yorkshire puddings, etc.)

-occasionally as a makeup remover (works great, although my normal standby for this is jojoba oil and Bioderma Crealine for eye makeup)

I also read that many use it as a personal lubricant (although should not be used with latex condoms as it can compromise their effectiveness). Coconut oil has antifungal properties too, always a good thing in anyone's book, I should think.

Very few products make it onto my holy grail list, and of those which do, even fewer are products I can truly see myself using 30+ years from now. Coconut oil qualifies for both of those caregories. I can recommend wholeheartedly, because even the highest quality oil will not break the bank and, if not desired for one purpose or another, can be used for dozens more instead.

on 5/30/2013 2:22:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

This is hands down one of my biggest secrets for dealing with dry or irritated skin. Everyone should keep a jar of this handy. A few weeks ago I irritated a sensitive spot when cleaning it with rubbing alcohol and the itchy burn just wouldn't go away. Two days of coconut oil and it was good as new! The biggest down side (maybe an upside for some) is that you tend to smell like a pina colada after using it.

on 5/28/2013 6:42:00 PM

I've been using this with castor oil on my eyebrows for the past couple of days and I have to say I Already see a difference! My eyebrows are thicker and growing back quick! Can't wait to shape my eyebrows soon :-)

on 5/28/2013 6:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I have a huge tub of this and I use it as eye makeup remover. It works SUPER well and SMELLS AMAZING!! Why use chemicals on your eyes when you can use one ingredient which is natural?! This stuff is wonderful. HG product. Only downside is that it expires and I don't think I will finish it by then. Next time I might buy a smaller tub. :)

on 5/27/2013 6:42:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've experimented with using coconut oil as a moisturizer and eye make up remover. I've been careful because it is considered comedogenic, or pore clogging. It is not a good face moisturizer for the acne prone.

Eye makeup remover: Incredible, it is incredible. Smoothing hardened coconut oil over my eye removed most of my makeup before I wiped it off and left my lid incredibly soft. Also, good for the under eye. Unlike olive oil, it doesn't require the wiping step as much and doesn't irritate my tear ducts.

Face: I rubbed a small amount all over, even on problem areas like my chin. It absorbed into and softened my skin beautifully and for a while when I used it at night, but I also woke up with black heads where I don't usually have them (between my eyebrows and on my forehead. No bueno.)

Hands: I get very dry hands during the winter and am bad at remembering to moisturize them. I tried coconut oil as a day time moisturizer instead of Keri. It absorbed deep into the layers of the skin in a way hand creams can't do and stayed through some hand washings. However, it left my hand still somewhat scaly and didn't moisturize that well. The fact that it penetrates deep into skin makes it a worthy alternative, though.

Coconut oil is an HG product for me. I have used it as a hair treatment, hair serum, moisturizer on body, face, and lips, makeup remover, and mixed with sugar as a moisturizing scrub. I can't say enough how wonderful coconut oil is! I would not want to be without this.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products