August 29, 2014 | 1011 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Finish Primer

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2012 10:24:00 PM More reviews by DellaSimone

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

PROS: I never used primer until I received a free sample of Photo Finish Primer last year from Sephora. Then - my face cleared up; it smoothed; makeup looked better - I LOOKED better! Most of us girls know this is the best primer on the market. Whether you prefer the regular Photo Finish primer (like me), or the light version (also very popular), you WILL notice a difference in the appearance of your face - a cleaner, more youthful appearance with makeup that lasts a heck of alot longer than applying it bareback. :D

CONS: PRICE!

SUMMARY: Every single makeup-wearing woman (and man!) should be wearing a primer under their makeup. Also, did you know that Smashbox also gives tips to try this product as a hair smoother? It does work rather well in a pinch! 5 stars.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2012 4:18:00 PM More reviews by kikidoll27

The Smashbox Photo Finish Primer is one of the most popular primers out there. There's a ton of hype surrounding it- which was why I wanted to buy it. Thank God my friend had a tube of it laying around, or else I would have wasted my money on it! I stayed at her house a few weeks ago and forgot my makeup bag on my dresser (oh, the shame...). She let me go through her makeup stash and use whatever I needed, which was only this. I normally would never review something that I've only used once, but, oh my gosh. Worst breakout of my life! My entire cheek was enflamed in under the skin blemishes. Not only did it hurt, it was nearly impossible to conceal, even with my beloved Rimmel Match Perfection. The only reason I gave this two lippies is because it glided on so smoothly and seemed to 'fill in' my pores, which now I realize was just the product clogging them. I told me friend, and she says she loves this product, but she has noticed that she's been breaking out more lately...a result of this? We're not sure. All I know is this isn't for me, and I wouldn't recomend it to anyone who's acne prone like I am.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2012 2:29:00 PM More reviews by JeniRyder

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Very smooth primer that makes all my foundations work well on my skin.
Helps even out my skin and let my foundation cover my acne areas better without breaking me out even further.
Unfortunately, it’s very pricey, and the ELF Mineral Face Primer is a good dupe for it.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/14/2012 7:22:00 PM More reviews by mizzcremedelacreme

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is ok. I asked the SA at Sephora for a good primer because i ran out of my MAC prep and prime primer and wanted to try something different. She told me that this is a nice primer because it goes on smoothly because of the silicone in the product and it's long lasting. She was right, it does go on smoothly, but I never saw any amazing results from this as far as lasting power. I really dont think it's anything special really. I would probably get the same results with a drug store primer like Revlon's. It didn't break me out or anything which is good, but once again, it wasn't worth $30. NOTHING special! Their healthy fx foundation is AMAZING though. Perfect for me. So i love Smashbox. Just not this particular product.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/4/2012 12:21:00 PM More reviews by ativaneyes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm giving this two lippies only because it really is velvety smooth and does make foundation application slightly easier and makes my pores less visible.
that being said, every single time i have worn this, i have broken out with 1-4 huge, painful, deep cystic pimples. i know that it is this product causing the cysts because they occur within 1-3 days after wearing it and it was the only change on my makeup routine. not to mention, the cysts were mostly on my cheeks, where i NEVER, EVER get pimples. they take weeks to come to the surface and then leave a huge purplish dark blemish on my very fair skin. it's taken over six months of daily exfoliation and bi-weekly 20% salicylic acid peels for these bad boys to fade.
i have learned my lesson and will never use silicone on my face again!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2012 7:54:00 PM More reviews by ericasurvive

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Although this primer is fairly pricey, it is amazing. It glides on my face super smoothly and makes my foundation look even more amazing!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2012 9:19:00 PM More reviews by blondebohemian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used this for about a year - it is a great primer in terms of easing the application of foundation and making it last longer. Initially, it gave my skin a velvety feel, which I loved. It made it incredibly easy for my make up to glide on flawlessly.

However, while it did not give me break outs, I noticed that over time it was affecting my skin (little white bumps, a lack of that natural glow). My skin felt clogged. I stopped using the Smashbox primer, and switched to Laura Mercier Radiance (which does not clog up my skin).

This is relatively pricey. 36 dollars for 1 oz - but you can cut the tube in half and make sure you get all the product out..

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2012 12:21:00 AM More reviews by LookingGood85

I used to use the light version and adored it, it still is one of my faves! But I now use Urban Decays tightening primer as its more within my price range. Anyhow, rebought my beloved Halo powder from smashbox online and was given a delux sample of this primer and also a sachet of it in the Halo box. Gave it a shot, have worn it each day for about 5 days. It's very velvety to touch, all the silicones I guess. My makeup applied like a dream (as I knew it would) and lasted, it seemed, forever! So I gets to yesterday, and I start feeling painful lumps under my skin near my nose and on my chin. My two danger zones for acne. I havnt had a breakout from a product in ages, but this seems to have caused a lovely breakout :-( painful spots have appeared, and I'm now having to slather my Duac cream on to get rid of them :-( the primer is the only change in my usual routine this past month or so, so it can't be anything else. To be truthful, my skin DOES feel a little suffocated with this primer on, feels too heavy for me, guess it clogged my pores instantly!

Great product if you don't have acne prone or sensitive skin! If you do, give the lit version a try or the UD brightening and tightening primer :-)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2012 12:27:00 AM More reviews by phoebeweatherfield

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

This product does what I want primer to do: keeps my makeup in place throughout a long day at work. No, it hasn't improved my skin (though it certainly hasn't made it worse), nor does it feel like a particularly luxurious part of my routine, but it gets the job done, and it's a good choice if you have pretty normal skin and are looking for a no-fuss, basic primer that will keep your foundation in place and looking pretty fresh throughout the day. It doesn't feel heavy or greasy, and I actually kind of like the texture. Plus, I appreciate that it doesn't have a strong scent (I hate when products meant to be used on my face have a ton of fragrance-I always feel like I can practically taste it). I might need to switch to a more moisturizing primer in the winter, but for now, this one does what I need it to do.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2012 5:56:00 PM More reviews by helenquinnmakeup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was very lucky with this product, as a local charity shop had done a deal with one of the shopping channels and were selling off loads of brand new make up at 50p a product. I snapped up about £15 worth of stuff, including this awesome primer.
I'd never really understood the need for a primer that doesnt illuminate, but this one has me totally convinced. It completely minimises the appearance of pores, makes foundation look much better and feels velvety smooth on the skin.
It was a complete bargain and i'd defo pay full whack for it next time.