October 31, 2014 | 1598 users online

Pressed Powders - Clinique - Stay-Matte Sheer Pressed Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2008 3:12:00 PM More reviews by ninemuses0

I use this product all year except for winter. This is because, when the weather gets so dry, the powder can look too cakey on my dryer skin. However, during the other months my skins is quite shiny, especially in the t-zone. The powder goes on flawlessly, and stays put for most of the day. It does tend to come off throughout the day, but what pressed powder doesn't? I use blotting sheets to help counteract the oilyness. It does not have super thick foundation conerage, it is after all stay-matte SHEER pressed powder. This is good for because I have freckles and don't want to completely cover them. However, becasue I only have minor breakouts, I can use this without really needing concealer. One thing that I would change about the product, it something to keep the sponge from the powder when closed. Or something to clean the sponge. Because the sponge does get sort of cakey/oily/gross. But overall I love the product!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2008 4:02:00 PM More reviews by jossyd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I usually buy this in Stay Neutral, but recently picked up Invisible Matte at the CCO. Generally, it's a pretty good product; I have used up & repurchased Stay Neutral several times. I am NC20-25ish, very warm tones, with normal/combo skin. Stay Neutral is a perfect match, while I find Invisible Matte to be too yellow toned (and that's saying something since I'm pretty yellow toned myself.) This compact includes a nice big mirror, a generous amount of product & I don't mind the green packaging. I use this powder for touchups throughout the day or with a big fluffy brush as a finishing powder over foundation. It keeps the oilies away pretty well, usually only needing 1 touch-up after several hours of wear. Oily-skinned reviewers seem to have a very different experience, so this is probably best for normal to slightly oily skins. I haven't had any problems with it oxidzing. Stay Neutral leaves a nice "finished" look, not chalky or over-powdered, just a natural not too matte finish. Doesn't look chalky after touch-ups either. On the other hand, Invisible Matte goes on very differently; any more than just a light dusting on my t-zone leaves a very unnatural overpowdered look that settles into my pores & smile lines which aren't noticeable to begin with. Stay Neutral I will repurchase, Inivisble Matte I will not.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/7/2008 12:06:00 PM More reviews by bmorelikebre

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this powder in Stay Spice and it was a perfect match. I got the airbrushed look that I was looking for and I really had the matte look that it promised. The problem-my oilies made their way through about three hours into my day and I still had to blot a few times during the day. I guess nothing keeps you matte all day long. Great product though.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2008 8:47:00 PM More reviews by love4chanel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've just recently tried this out and am debating on taking it back. At first, I really liked it because it did give a very matte look to my oily skin. However, the more I use it, the more chalky it seems to be looking. The large mirror is nice and I love the style of the compact but I probably wouldn't buy again. It tends to oxidize a little as well, leaving my face slightly oranger than my neck.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2008 6:31:00 PM More reviews by mpumala

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I received this product from Clinique as an online customer appreciation gift. I was asked what color I wanted and I picked Stay Buff. When I got it I threw it in the drawer and it had been there for about a year. I decided to give it a try even though I have never used pressed powder. I LOVED this product so much!! The color and coverage were both perfect!! I decided to give other powders a try because they rated higher than this one. I tried EM (both matte and intensive) and Cover FX (mineral and powder) and I found the Clinique looked the best by far. Very smooth looking and kept the oil down the entire day. I also made my husband evaluate each one outside (he was not thrilled about this) and each one was 'they all look the same' but when I put this one on he agreed there was a big difference.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/14/2008 7:36:00 PM More reviews by Luluwastaken

I'm not a fan of the green packaging in some of cliniques powders. I'd much prefer a black or silver package. the product is terrible, yes, it is very sheer. Doesn't look nice when its applied, the powder sits on top of the skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/25/2008 11:58:00 PM More reviews by uninfatuated

i got this powder in stay beige and although it blended with my skin, it quickly oxidized and gave me a dirty orange glow on my face. i have really oily skin so i wouldn't suggest it to girls with oily/acne prone skin. i thought that i had gotten the wrong shade but it was lighter in the compact than what was on my face. i looked like a person who likes to sunless tan, with that nasty orange face. i actually liked the packaging, it was cute and green. i don't mind the bulk unlike other girls.
pros: kept me somewhat matte but after awhile it had a slight sheen to it. i used a powder brush to apply it so it was sheer to medium coverage depending on how much you put on it
cons: oxidized on my skin quickly, leaving me with a dirty orange face. looks cakey after awhile and it settles into your lines.

i would like this product so much more if it didn't turn my face so dark and orange. i'm wearing another clinique foundation and it still went on a lot darker than in the package. seems like all clinique foundations tend to do this with my oily skin =\

i will not be buying this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/15/2008 12:29:00 AM More reviews by maggiejane92

THIS PRODUCT IS TERRIBLE. I'm still in school, and whenever i walked into class with this makeup on people would ask me "I think you should use less powder..your skin looks so dehydrated!" It made me so mad because i only put a small amount all over my face.They also do not have a wide selection of colors for us fair folks. Everything looks orange-ish yellow. It was horrible. My hairline looked like a total mess. Because of this product, I rarely buy or trust ANYTHING Clinique.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2008 6:31:00 PM More reviews by roroluca

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

One of the ONLY make up products that I own that I currently LIKE (besides my lip products)!! The box it comes in has sophisticated flowers and the packaging is really wonderful. The sponge included in the powder kit is really easy to use but one tip on the application - don't PAT the powder, use the sponge and BRUSH the powder onto the face. Patting this pressed powder won't get enough product to get rid of the shine on your face!

I don't care if there are $5 pressed powders - this one works GREAT on my tan, oily skin and the packaging it comes in always makes me smile. :D

EDIT: Changed from 5 to 1 lippies. This didn't control my shine well after a month of using. How disappointing - I think I need loose powders to control the oil in my t-zone.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2008 10:10:00 PM More reviews by margyface

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Packaging:
It comes in a green compact, plain and simple. It might be too bulky to stuff into a pant pocket, but I simply toss it into my purse. That's fine with me.
I'd prefer if they had a separate compartment for the sponge just to keep the sponge and powder cleaner (I lost the plastic cover that separated the powder and the sponge).

Powder:
It's not smooth/soft (thus, it's a bit grainy). That's ok because I don't think it's meant for coverage (as a foundation). I put too much on once and it looked cakey/fake/overly-matte/like discoloured flour, so just pat a bit and the oil on your face absorbs fine.
The mattifying effect doesn't last too long (like most/all pressed powders). I reapply 4~5 times a day (also consider that I work in a hot environment as a chef). It only takes 5 seconds for me to use on my t-zone (it's that convenient and easy to use).
Doesn't make me break out like some drugstore brands.
Truthfully, I haven't exactly bought any other department store brand powder so I can't compare the quality. However, it was one of the cheapest so I went ahead and bought it.

I think it was $20~30 Canadian. I bought it a while ago so I don't remember.