MAC Strobe Cream

Spring Water (Aqua), Cyclomethicone, Butylene Glycol, Cetyl Ricinoleate, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Distearate, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Cholesterol, Jojoba Esters, Steareth-10, Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Alcohol, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Extract, Saxifraga Sarmentosa Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Extract, Whey Protein (Lactis Proteinum), Panthenol-Pro-Vitamin B5, Cyanocobalamin Vitamin B12, Tocopheryl Acetate, 7-Dehydrocholesterol Pro-Vitamin D3, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Ceramide 2, Scutellaria Baicalensis Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pyrus Malus Extract, Lactic Acid, Sucrose, Linoleic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Polyacrylamide, Laureth-7, Glycerin, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Sodium Sulfite, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Citrate, Sodium Metabisulfite, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Red 4

on 5/5/2011 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I completely love Strobe Cream. I picked it up at a CCO on a whim several months ago and use it when my combination skin looks dull. I've used it both underneath and over my makeup, and both techniques basically give the same glowy/healthy-skin effect. I like using it over powder to take away the powdery finish and make everything feel settled. I love the squeeze-tube packaging (pumps are nice, but I hate the hassle of trying to get out the last bit of product that won't come up through the pump). It has a strange but pleasant scent that I've grown to love. It'll probably take years to use up the whole bottle, but when it's gone, I'll replace it with another.

on 4/27/2011 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

* Me - NC30, combination to dry skin
* Usage - I use this as a moisturizer, either alone during the day along with sunscreen or before application of foundation (makeup) primer.
* Thoughts - I have been searching high and low for a moisturizer with a little something "extra" built in that would give me that certain luminosity or glow, especially during the dreary dark winter months when my skin and skin tone gets dull, flat and lifeless. Well, I finally found everything I need in this Strobe Cream! And since my skin tends to be on the dry side, the cream seems to work well for me. I tend to be a luminosity and/or glow-y beauty and makeup products junkie, always searching for the next HG product that will give me that healthy + natural + happy glow for my skin that I am looking for all the time. This is now my new HG luminous hydrating cream!
* Pros - Hydrating, luminous moisturizer with that extra somethin' somethin' if you know what I mean ;) This does not make me break out at all and is the perfect "base" before applying primer, foundation, etc. And what's BEST of all: the Strobe Cream is not shimmery, not sparkle-y and not glittery. If you want your face to sparkle and glitter like a disco ball, you're gonna have to use something else ;)
* Cons - It doesn't contain any sunscreen so as a daytime moisturizer, you must use a separate sunscreen as well. Personally for me, I prefer to use a separate high-quality daily SPF30+ sunscreen anyhow rather than rely only on makeup for sun protection.
* Verdict - My new (and hopefully forever) HG for a luminous moisturizer!

I bought it because of Paula Begoun's positive comments. The cream irritated my skin. Waste of money for me, but I am glad that it worked for other people.

on 4/15/2011 12:06:00 PM

I feel like there is a lot of confusion about this product. Is it in replacement of your moisturizer or in addition to? A primer? Best applied after your foundation as a highlighter?

I think it really has multiple uses for different people and to label it as simply a moisturizer or strictly a highlighter among various reviews can make it really confusing for some on how to best approach and use this product.

Worked for Mac and in our training session the trainer was adamant that it is in fact a product to be used as a moisturizer. That said, drier skin types will likely not find this to be enough moisture on its own. Would have a better result if dry skinned gals applied a dime size amount over their moisturizer. Oily skinned girls may find that it is enough on its own.

The beauty of this product is its versatility and the texture allows for multiple uses. Just need to determine where and when you like to use it and how much.

It is best tapped or stippled into the skin following make-up application. If rubbed, its consistency will likely rub off your make-up. It doesn't have a dry consistency at all, so rubbing it will remove anything you applied prior. I would recommend using it before powder, if you use powder as it can cause streaking. Under make-up is a great way to illuminate the skin and fool-proof.
Strobe cream not only creates a beautifully glow to the skin, it also has some excellent ingredients and a calming effect to irritated or tired skin. It was rated as one of the best moisturizers for normal skin by Paula Begoun, earning a Paula's pick. Her picks are predominately based on ingredients when it comes to skincare products.

I use Mac Lightful Ultra Moisture Cream and then add a good dime sized amount of strobe to my face and a little down my neck.
No visible sparkles, just healthy looking skin. Even using a product like studio fix powder over strobe will still produce a subtle glow.

Use this product in a way that suits your skin best. It is excellent in so many ways and is unique to Mac. Never found anything quite like it in any other line and I have worked for quite a few companies.

Hope this helps! :)

on 4/4/2011 11:22:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This prolonged and harsher-than-usual winter has really taken it's toll on my skin which has been looking very dull so I purchased Strobe Cream in January to help perk it up a bit. I use this all over my face after my serum and before tinted moisturiser and it has made quite a difference by bringing some luminosity back to my skin. I still add a highlight to my cheekbones, nose and cupid's bow (either a bit more strobe cream or other highlight) to add definition back in when contouring but for an all over pick-me-up this has been fantastic, add in all the benefits of the antioxidants and this cream becomes a bit of a powerhouse product.

My skin is pretty normal though can get oily on my nose and clogs quite easily but I haven't suffered any ill-effects from using this though I do thoroughly remove my makeup with oils and follow with a cream cleanser and muslin cloth. I suspect this is going to be too heavy for the Summer, though hopefully I won't need it then, but this cream is a definite repurchase and I will start using it as soon as Winter appears this year.

on 3/17/2011 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

i have always heard mixed reviews on strobe cream. i decided to get it for myself and judge.

i love it personally. i wear it almost as a primer on days when i want very natural makeup look. i will apply a pea sized dab of it and that is enough for my entire face. i then use a very sheer foundation overtop. it shows through as a gorgeous luminous glow.

my skin has been pretty decent recently so i can get away with the very low coverage.

i have heard that people saying they wore this everyday and it broke them out. i personally have not had a problem with it.

on 3/6/2011 3:10:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I was really hesitant to buy this as there were so many conflicting reviews on MUA about it. I am actually quite happy with it though.

I am an NC30 with golden tones and strobe cream does not look garish on me. It applies sheer, all it does is give an irridescense wherever I apply it (NOT glittery or shimmery at all). I don't use it as a moisturizer as I think it would break me out (there's quite a few pore clogging ingredients in it) but I use it as a highlight down my nose, on my chin, cheekbones. It looks like an incredibly natural highlight - gives me a glow but no one can put their finger on what I've got on that makes me look so radiant! Great for everyday use and it's not greasy or oily.

on 3/4/2011 3:39:00 AM

I love this cream when it comes to 'makeup' rather than 'skincare'. It's a great makeup base that gives you a gorgeous dewy glowing face if you apply with foundation or underneath foundation. You can use this cream alone, just on bare face to give your skin that instant -- "I just washed my face and my face is glowing" look. Some people use the strobe cream as a highlighter after makeup! It's really cool.

HOWEVER, I must advise people that it's not very good at moisturizing. A few minutes after the product is absorbed, there is not much of a moisturized feeling in the skin so I do not recommend this as a daily moisturizer. You shouldn't be relying on this product for MOISTURE!

Also, you have to wash your face THOROUGHLY after using this product because it's not your normal daily moisturizer. It has very fine shimmers infused into the cream so make sure you wash your face well to get the shimmers out of your skin, out of your pores.

Since I don't usually use this as a moisturizer alone, I will definately repurchase in the future. Honestly, I haven't come across a product better than this that gives such glowy, just the perfect amount of shimmer!

on 2/25/2011 10:59:00 PM

I was getting the "winter blues" and noticing my skin looking lackluster and tired. I decided I needed a highlighter or something to brighten my face, especially around the eyes and this turned out to be just what I needed! Now, this cream is definitely on the heavy side but so far it's working fabulously for the wintertime on my dry, dull skin. I've been using it over two months now with no noticeable breakouts. It can tend to be slightly greasy if you use too much, so I make sure I apply this with a really light hand. Since I don't use any foundation or powder, only a mattifier by Clinique, this shows up really well and makes me look dewy, fresh and soft. I also like how it's a shimmery highlighter, not a glittery one which I just cannot do anymore now that I'm in my 30's. LOVE!

on 2/23/2011 3:36:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I don't have too much to say about this product other than I never really noticed anything special about it. The cream is a little hard to squeeze out of the bottle and I noticed a little really does go a long way. From what I have noticed, when I put too much on, it leaves my face feeling kind of greasy and it feels like it doesn't all get soaked up by my skin. I only have ever used it on my face as moisturizer before foundation. And that's my complaint about it. I can only see the pearly glow when I first put it on but it gets all covered up and disappears once foundation and powder are applied. I am aware that you can wear it alone without makeup or over your make up as a highlighter but I just don't feel inclined to use it that way-I like my foundation and powder and would rather use MAC MSFs as highlighters. I don't HATE it, but I just don't see anything special whatsoever! I don't even notice if it really does anything beneficial for my skin or not, my skin is pretty normal so I don't notice improvements very easily. SO overall, I won't buy it again. It was an expensive moisturizer in my eyes, and that's all!