NARS Lovejoy

4.4

on 12/12/2007 3:17:00 PM

I bought this as part of the Dolce Vita set (Lovejoy blush, Albatross highlighter, and Docle Vita lip gloss). As another reviewer said, I expected that I would be reutrning it to Sephora, after my ho hum experience with the NARS Multiple Orgasm set. To my total and utter delight, I absolutely LOVE this blush. I have fair skin, so I was worried that it would way look too brown on me, more like a bronzer than a blush. In fact, it doesn't look brown at all! It's a wonderful, warm peachy rose that looks incredibly natural and warm. This is much different from the flushed look I get when I use Tarte--it's not at all red and looks much more warm than flushed. Special bonus for girls with freckles: the brown pigment and gold flecks team up perfectly to highlight freckles while also blending with them!

I have to give NARS credit for packaging this blush with the Dolce Vita lip gloss and the Albatross highlighter. On its own, the gloss would be WAY too pink for me, and the highlighter would just be "eh". But together, they create a romantic, breathless look that's perfect for everyday wear. That said, I also think this blush would work well with a number of lip shades, ranging from peach to rose to brown. I'll have to try that out when I get home . . . .

I've long neglected NARS Lovejoy, which came in my Warm palette with Deep Throat. Lovejoy was way too muddy and turned blotchy red-brown on my cheeks. BUT thank goodness for MAC 187 brush! Sheered out, Lovejoy is perfect with peachy pinks like Deep Throat. It just deepens and enhances the peach glow without seeming obvious as a contour/bronzer. I am surprised to be wearing it in winter. Now I understand why it's in a Sephora set with Albatross and Dolce Vita l/g. NARS is always so well-coordinated! :)

on 11/29/2007 12:58:00 PM

Finally - a Nars product that works for me. I bought the Dolce Vita palette just knowing it would go back to Sephora. I find Nars products to be hit or miss with me. I love my Gipsy lipstick but that is about all, but I am so glad to have purchased this. Lovejoy looks very hohum in the pan, a boring brownish color, but once on my cheeks, it is such a lovely shade of burnished rose with very little shimmer. I've used this palette most days since purchasing it. The Albatross highlighter is lovely as well. I've experimented with these two colors and find that the colors can work double duty as eye shadows. I can see that this would be one of those desert isle make up must haves. I took a lippie off based on Nars outrageous pricing. For color reference, I am a NC35.

on 11/25/2007 1:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

A horribly muddy reddish brown on my skin coloring. Yuck.

For reference, I'm NC 42, black hair w/ drk brown eyes.

on 11/23/2007 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Amazing rose-bronze color with golden shimmer. So pigmented but easily blendable and very smooth texture! For reference I am NC30-35, very olive/golden. It lasts all day! As with other NARS powder blushes, this is $25 and comes in a square/rectangular black rubber compact. Love the packaging, but not the material. Gets too dusty from the product and cleaning it is a pain. I'd still buy it again, however. It's more of what's inside the packaging than the packaging itself. This can be built up or applied sheer. If I want more of an oomph with this blush I use my MAC 116 over my MAC 187. Either way, the shade is awesome and unique. Love it!

on 11/18/2007 8:41:00 PM

I love this blush color. It works best for my yellow tinted skin (I'm Italian/German have blue eyes and dark brown hair. Fits me to a tee! This is a warm rose color. It lasts all day on me and I will be purchasing this again.

on 11/12/2007 5:44:00 PM

Me: n/d skin, 40, MAC C2/NC15. Used for: about a week.
PROS: Lovejoy is a highly pigmented NARS blush that comes off as rose bronze on me, tending towards bronze. On my slightly sun damaged fair skin, the bronze and tiny bit of shimmer (like Sin, not Orgasm) is flattering as it blends some existing freckling I have. Does not turn orange on me throughout the day as many bronze blushes or true bronzers do. Also looks nice w/Albatross, but is obviously a bit more shimmery.
PACKAGING: Typical NARS matte black rubberish finish. I like the small palettes and minimalist design- less waste in your makeup bag. Easy enough to clean, although it does show the shimmer faster than other blush containers.
QUESTIONABLE: The Dolce Vita lip gloss packaged with the Albatross/Lovejoy combo is much pinker than the blush itself-- I'd actually pair Lovejoy with the tawnier DV lipstick. I've also worn LJ with Viva Glam V gloss.
CONS: Very warm, possibly too much so for many skin tones. In my opinion, this reads more as a bronzer should rather than as a straight "blush". Sin is a prettier flush for those looking for more pink/plum pop. Also can appear dry on older skins- using a MAC 187 brush helps with this.
Buy Again? Maybe. Sin's a HG probably for me, so maybe not. I may find this more interesting in the summer.

on 11/11/2007 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Like the last reviewer, I consider this to be mainly a 'summer' blush. The bronzey rose color is perfect when I have a little color, and wear bronze or copper eye colors--otherwise, the color looks muddy and dull. It's also quite pigmented, unlike Orgasm, so I have to be careful not to pick up too much on the brush. This has a bit of golden shimmer, but not over-the-top, and is fine for day.

The perfect bronzey rose shade on my cheeks. I love NARS Blushes to begin with so I am already partial to them...so this review may be biased! =P I am NC30-35 (asian) and this makes my skin glow. Although I think it would look better with summery looks (coppery eyeshadows, bronze eyeshadows and the like), it is definitely wearable year round. One thing I don't like about NARS is their packaging because the rubber is like a shimmer magnet.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I hate hate hate this blush. Yes pretty in pan but damn when I applied this with a skunk brush it looked like someone had just slapped me on the cheeks. Horrible! overhyped and overpriced just like NARS Orgasm. Applied it just seemed muddy and glittery= Glittery Mud on Cheeks= Yuck!
back to Sephora it went.