July 25, 2014 | 964 users online

Primer/ Corrector - DHC - Velvet Skin Coat

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2007 11:22:00 PM More reviews by BlackandBeautiful

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got a sample and had to try this. It is a fantastic primer. I usually don't bother with primer, but this is well worth using. Just a tiny dab will matte you out with or without foundation on top.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2007 11:02:00 AM More reviews by summertan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I got a sample of this. It does an excelent job in mattifying oily skin/ oily creams/sunscreens and hiding pores. The price is overblown though. Exactly the same dirt cheap silicones are contained in Monistat Powder Gel that does the same job for a fraction of the price. Monistat is less dry than the skin coat. I have oily acne prone sensitive pre-rosacea skin. Monistat Gel never breaks me out or cause any negative reactions.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/6/2007 2:30:00 AM More reviews by adia1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got an immediate allergic reaction to this. This is the first time I ever get aan allergic reaction from any skincare product.
My skin had great was red with red spots and itchy. I don't know how I would have liked it had that not happened so... a no for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2007 9:28:00 AM More reviews by theminx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is my new HG! It definitely makes my pores look smaller and skin look dewy and fresh. I use it under eyes too and it makes my fine lines less noticable. Works great with my Mac Studiofix powder foundation and Becca concealer. I have to say it didn't do anything to improve the staying power of my makeup, but that's a small complaint. Will repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2007 10:55:00 AM More reviews by Aiella

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't know what to say besides that I love it. Despite being tight on cash (still in college), I always make sure I have a backup supply of this product. It makes my skin feel so smooth and soft.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2007 1:21:00 PM More reviews by monetsgarden

Before trying this product, I thought primers were pointless -- I've tried Smashbox, Sue Devitt and others, and never found one that seemed worth the extra step of applying it. But Velvet Skin Coat is HG material! It makes my skin look so matte and smooth, minimizes pores and makes my tinted moisturizer go on flawlessly. Although I do have dry-ish skin, I tend to get a bit of shine on my nose as the day wears on, but this product takes care of that. As others have said, a tiny bit goes a long way, so I have no complaint with the price as the tube will last for ages.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2007 2:32:00 AM More reviews by CarolynBergen

Seems people love it or hate it. I received it as a sample and immedately ordered the full size tube which will last a very long time. I agree with others that a little goes a long way. Makes for a nice flawless, smooth canvas for makeup application. Skin really does feel like velvet. I do admit this is my 1st primer so I dont have anything to compare to, but I really do love this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2007 1:22:00 PM More reviews by blesdchile

This is the same thing as MAC's Matte. I tried it, liked it but really didn't dig the price. MAC has a better price and more comes in the tube. I guess it depends on what you like. I never heard of DHC until they started flooding my mailbox with there catalogs. After shopping around @ places like Kiehls and MAC, I've found that for my budget DHC simply doesn't add up. You can find comparable products at these store that offer more product @ a better price. I've never heard of DHC. For my money (not to mention I am particular about what goes on my skin), I will stick with tried & true companies.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2007 12:32:00 AM More reviews by fancynancy

I have good skin, always get compliments, and wear makeup everyday. The first time I wore this, my husband admiringly asked if I had makeup on. Half elated and half wanting to smack him - I didn't tell him he's hardly ever seen me without makeup. I had a sample, used it everyday and ordered a full size product today.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2007 1:28:00 AM More reviews by michellabella

Aw phooey. I really wanted to like this product, and in fact it worked beautifully as a primer when I tried it. Nothing else has ever made my skin look so PORELESS (especially on my nose, where unfortunately they're quite large), my foundation work more effectively, or my skin feel so smooth and, yes, velvety! Unfortunately, the DHC Velvet Skin Coat makes my skin break out. I have tried it on several occasions now, and I find that by the end of the night, or the next day, my skin breaks out in big, painful bumps, unlike my normal acne. I'm pretty sure it's the Velvet Skin Coat, because when I first put it on my entire face, the bumps appeared that evening on my jawline; the second time, the same occurred (with an even smaller amount applied; and desperate to make this work, I tried it yesterday on just my nose--and guess what? One big red bump on my nose. Sadly, although I thought I found my HG primer, this sensitive, acne-prone girl will have to find another product that will not break me out.