October 24, 2014 | 1943 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Natural Instincts Hair Color

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2010 8:45:00 PM More reviews by thebeautifuldiaries

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love Clairol Natural Instincts! I've tried these shades: Rich Black, Chocolate Creme, and just today Golden Cappuccino. Each one has turned out great! The price is inexpensive and the results are awesome. The colors do run dark so purchase a shade lighter than you normally would. I have extremely thick medium length hair and yet one box was enough! I'd use this product over and over again! It leaves my curly hair shiny and moisturized.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2010 11:17:00 PM More reviews by egyptgrl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been using this product for years, will not use anything else! My favorite has been the light neutral brown color (the name changes every so often, right now I believe it is Suede) although I tend to play around with mixing different shades. I use this about every 5-6 weeks, it gives the perfect boost and makes hair so soft and shiny. I can also get my hair professional highlighted and then continue using this on my own for boosts and the color seems to stay transparent enough the highlights still show through. If you are using it for the first time, definitely go a shade lighter, as this does tend to be on the darker side. If you are emphatically against the slightest hint of red, stay away from the golden shades as well, they tend to be more on the redder side.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/13/2010 9:45:00 PM More reviews by lizzyko

Generally, this is great hair color. However, the last color I tried, Cherry Creme, is not so great. The color is pretty, but can not pass as anything found in nature. If I was 20, I would be over the moon, but at 40 something, I like to try to at least come close to natural colors. My experience is that all of the red colors are a cool red/burgandy, pretty, but not natural at all. I so wish they would make more dark browns with a coppery undertone. The colors on the box are a little deceptive as they are shot in a studio, with warm Halogen lights. In regular daylight, which is blue, you see a cooler, darker result. So, unless you are a model or carry your own lights around with you, make sure to factor this into your choice of colors.
Luckily, it washes out in a month, and you get another chance to get it right. I'm still searching for the right one.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2010 2:37:00 AM More reviews by AnonymousElle

As far as semi-permanent hair colors go, this product is the best out there, I think. Colors are all pretty wearable, not too damaging to the hair, last fairly long, and generally don't leave a stain on your hair unless you get into the dark browns and blacks - and are doing it repeatedly.

Tried quite a few in the medium and dark brown range, and they were all pretty true to the color they said they would be, with one exception: the Pecan color was supposed to be a golden brown, and it definitely showed up more red then gold on my hair.

It's a good product to start playing around with if you're new to hair color. It's pretty hard to goof up!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2010 4:07:00 PM More reviews by hotmom37

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff...perfect for those with darker hair color who don't want to spend hundreds at the salon just to freshen up color and cover a few grays. One tip...I had to reapply to gray hairs for an extra 10 minutes to completely cover them. Otherwise, the color is gorgeous and my hair is in excellent condition with plenty of shine. Its true, the colors run dark. I used Suede (light brown) and my hair is a medium to deep reddish brown. I've used the dark brown colors before and my hair looks black so this is just right.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2010 8:02:00 PM More reviews by Chocolatee5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just love this product, i will only buy this one from now. No amonia,10 minutes and a very good conditionner that smells like coconut. I pick the chocolate cream one, it gave me a very beautiful natural rich brown, dark brown that is very close to my natural color.

It have no smell,doesnt stain and my hair are very soft with it. I recommand this product to every women.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2010 10:36:00 PM More reviews by pantaloons55

This is my review on Natural Instincts Creme in Rich Dark Blonde - 7.5 - Maple Creme

I've been using NI for 10 years in between highlights, to bring my hair back to a more natural colour. I have used many colours, during my crazy colour changing phase, and never had a really bad experience. Admittedly, if you have warm undertones, you need to be careful with "golden" or warm colours, because they will be warm! I have used toasted almond, and it was slightly warmer then i would like now, but i enjoyed it at the time. The biggest thing folks need to remember is that this dye deposits colour only, does not lighten much, and for that, you need some basic colour theory. For the love of god, don't do red or ash over bleached white hair. Do something neutral first so you don't end up pink or grey/green hair. If you're a newbie, call the help line.

Anyhow, this is my first time using their "Creme" line. As usual, my hair ended up perfect. The formula is very nice, less drippy then the other stuff, and you put it on DRY hair, which is a change. It seems like there is slightly less product, but i think its jus that my hair is much longer then the last time i coloured. I love this colour, its as close as I have ever found to my natural colour -- only prettier and brighter of course. :) Its a neutral shade, and it does look quite natural. It definitely helps my hair look and feel healthier after the ravages of the bleach. It did run slightly dark, but i prefer it, and left it on 15 minutes rather then 10. Most folks would call it a light brown, however, i fully expect it will lighten up over the coming week.

Very satisfied... as usual :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2010 9:39:00 PM More reviews by kiersten0513

the only hair color i use. i highlight my hair often but i do not like adding highlights when they grow out so i color in between with natural instincts i use different shades to go along with the season. I find that even when i do not do highlights i dont have any roots this product gives great coverage and it true to the shade. awsome product

rated 3 of 5 on 8/25/2010 12:02:00 PM More reviews by JenniferBeggan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

ive used this product several times, all different shades. i have natural dark blonde hair but i have highlights plus a little sun in. so its blonde by far. i wanted to make it ashier, my hair was GREEN AND GREY!! yes green and grey! so i had to dye over it with another box of brown and now i hate being a brunette and have to wait for it to wash out..ugghh

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2010 1:56:00 PM More reviews by Cellardoor367

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this Clairol Natural instincts hair color for about 7 months now, maybe more. I use Sahara Blonde, which is the lightest blonde color available. My natural hair color is ash blonde. (If you have seen ash blonde in the store you know its actually a very grey looking light brown).

There are some things I don't like about this hair color, but I feel like it is the best product out there for my needs right now, and I will continue to use it.

What I like:
* It says non permanent (not true) but it is way more gentle on my hair then permanent dyes.
* When it grows out there is no definent root line, it seems to just blend in for a while, this allows me to color it less often.
* Only take 10-15 minutes to process.
*Color is not as light as pictured, instead it seems that how light it gets depends on your hair color.
* Less split ends and damage then any other color I have used.
* When using a brush and color mixing bowl I got from Sallys, I can touch up my roots 3 times from just one box!

The things I don't like:
* The color looks brassy so I have to counter this with a purple shampoo for blondes.
*Wish there was more of a natural highlight effect.

Never color your hair at home without consulting your hairstylist first, if you don't educate yourself -it is bound to end in disaster!