Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color

3.7

on 11/14/2010 4:00:00 PM

I'm really pretty upset. Mad even. I bought the "champagne on ice" semi-permanent, which I had hoped would tone my hair, maybe even darken it a bit. I didn't even really care what it did as long as it was within several shades of the box model's hair. The color my hair turned has nothing to do with champagne or ice. It's like a dark dirty copper with grey twinges. Unfortunately, this product has proven very difficult to wash to a lighter color. This quality would I'm sure be a plus...if you liked the color it turned your hair. Any suggestions as to how I can get this out of my hair would be appreciated.

This was the first time I tried a semi permanent hair color out of a box and I was very much happy with the results!! Went from blond to a nice warm red / auburn / light brown! Used Mojave brown!

on 11/10/2010 5:52:00 PM

Wanted to try an alternative to permanent color. My hair is dark brown with noticible grays. I chose a dark brown to match my natural color.
Cons - does not cover gray well and washes out quickly. So not good for gray coverage.
Pros - smells good for hair color and the conditioner that is included is excellent. Color was nice too. Hair did not feel as fried as after permanent.

I guess I have to stick with permanent to get good gray coverage, otherwise this would be great.

on 11/10/2010 2:40:00 AM

I been using this product for the past two years. I have naturally dark brown hair and I wanted to make my hair a bit lighter and it definately works. I used the lightest golden brown I believe, and everyone gives me compliments on how they love my hair color thinking its natural. It looks more like medium brown now with this beautiful golden-reddish tint when the sun hits it, I love it and how it looks like my natural hair color. The only strange thing about this is that it never fades or goes away, It's only noticeable that my hair is dark brown whenever my roots start growing out.

on 11/8/2010 8:48:00 PM

I've used this repeatedly to tone faded salon highlights or overall color and it is excellent. Shiny, bouncy hair with very natural looking brown shades. I use either Light Ash Brown, Medium Brown or Medium Ash Brown depending on how much red I'm correcting for. I always end up with a nice rich brown that doesn't look purple or green. Love it.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

I love Clairol Natural Instincts! I've tried these shades: Rich Black, Chocolate Creme, and just today Golden Cappuccino. Each one has turned out great! The price is inexpensive and the results are awesome. The colors do run dark so purchase a shade lighter than you normally would. I have extremely thick medium length hair and yet one box was enough! I'd use this product over and over again! It leaves my curly hair shiny and moisturized.

on 10/22/2010 11:17:00 PM

I have been using this product for years, will not use anything else! My favorite has been the light neutral brown color (the name changes every so often, right now I believe it is Suede) although I tend to play around with mixing different shades. I use this about every 5-6 weeks, it gives the perfect boost and makes hair so soft and shiny. I can also get my hair professional highlighted and then continue using this on my own for boosts and the color seems to stay transparent enough the highlights still show through. If you are using it for the first time, definitely go a shade lighter, as this does tend to be on the darker side. If you are emphatically against the slightest hint of red, stay away from the golden shades as well, they tend to be more on the redder side.

on 10/13/2010 9:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Generally, this is great hair color. However, the last color I tried, Cherry Creme, is not so great. The color is pretty, but can not pass as anything found in nature. If I was 20, I would be over the moon, but at 40 something, I like to try to at least come close to natural colors. My experience is that all of the red colors are a cool red/burgandy, pretty, but not natural at all. I so wish they would make more dark browns with a coppery undertone. The colors on the box are a little deceptive as they are shot in a studio, with warm Halogen lights. In regular daylight, which is blue, you see a cooler, darker result. So, unless you are a model or carry your own lights around with you, make sure to factor this into your choice of colors.
Luckily, it washes out in a month, and you get another chance to get it right. I'm still searching for the right one.

As far as semi-permanent hair colors go, this product is the best out there, I think. Colors are all pretty wearable, not too damaging to the hair, last fairly long, and generally don't leave a stain on your hair unless you get into the dark browns and blacks - and are doing it repeatedly.

Tried quite a few in the medium and dark brown range, and they were all pretty true to the color they said they would be, with one exception: the Pecan color was supposed to be a golden brown, and it definitely showed up more red then gold on my hair.

It's a good product to start playing around with if you're new to hair color. It's pretty hard to goof up!

on 9/27/2010 4:07:00 PM

I love this stuff...perfect for those with darker hair color who don't want to spend hundreds at the salon just to freshen up color and cover a few grays. One tip...I had to reapply to gray hairs for an extra 10 minutes to completely cover them. Otherwise, the color is gorgeous and my hair is in excellent condition with plenty of shine. Its true, the colors run dark. I used Suede (light brown) and my hair is a medium to deep reddish brown. I've used the dark brown colors before and my hair looks black so this is just right.

Top Rated Clairol Products