Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color

3.7

on 12/28/2010 3:30:00 AM

I hadnt colored my hair in 3 months and had gotten my hair cut, trying to keep it healthy. However, my hair looked brassy so i needed to get rid of that asap. I bought the shade Nutmeg which is a dark brown. I only left it on for eight minutes instead of ten because i didnt want my hair to be black. Thank god I did. My hair didnt really end up soft and silky even after using the conditioner it came with. And it ended up reeeaaallly dark brown which i didnt want. Its been a week now and the color has faded and looks good. I gave it 3 stars because it did get rid of the brassiness in my hair and my hair doesnt feel like straw. I think im going to try the medium brown next month so my hair will end up a nice chocolate brown :)

on 12/20/2010 9:17:00 PM

Used this for the first time today and i'm amazed at how great my hair looks. I chose a color close to my natural shade (#13 suede) as i wanted to cover a few gray hairs.Did a strand test and then did my entire head. Left it on for 12 minutes. End result? Shiny, healthy looking natural color. Will definitely use again.

Can't understand why people are giving this bad reviews-if you do a strand test in advance then you know how long to leave the color on for and what the end result will be.

on 12/11/2010 5:05:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have used various shades of this product over the years before I finally admitted to myself that it just wasn't any good on my hair. I'm not sure why I kept buying it to be honest! I didn't color my hair at home for a few years as I was going to a salon, but I decided to go dark again and that's easy enough to do myself so I picked some of this up again to save $$... it seems like no matter what shade I buy, I get red tones. Granted my hair picks up red super easily, but I could get ash tones, neutral, cool, you name it and my hair would be dark brown with red shimmer. :/ I get much better results with the HerbaShine line.

on 11/30/2010 11:25:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Using Clairol's Champagne on Ice' was a big mistake! I have used a Champagne color before, so I thought that I would try this new shade. I last colored my hair with a medium ash blonde and thought that 'Champange on Ice' would deepen my blonde hair and cover the grey. It left my hair a dark dirty blonde, with dark streaks running through it. My roots are still lighter also and I have never had this happen before with any hair product. I am wondering if it has to do with my using a ash (cool) color before and changing it to a nuetral color?? I have washed my hair 5 times with little fading of color. If anyone has had a similar experience, I would appreciate hearing from them. I will wait a few days and re-dye it. I have used golden, ash and champagne colors before without problems and have used Clairol products before too. I guess, I am wondering if anyone has something good to say about 'Champane on Ice'??

on 11/14/2010 4:00:00 PM

I'm really pretty upset. Mad even. I bought the "champagne on ice" semi-permanent, which I had hoped would tone my hair, maybe even darken it a bit. I didn't even really care what it did as long as it was within several shades of the box model's hair. The color my hair turned has nothing to do with champagne or ice. It's like a dark dirty copper with grey twinges. Unfortunately, this product has proven very difficult to wash to a lighter color. This quality would I'm sure be a plus...if you liked the color it turned your hair. Any suggestions as to how I can get this out of my hair would be appreciated.

This was the first time I tried a semi permanent hair color out of a box and I was very much happy with the results!! Went from blond to a nice warm red / auburn / light brown! Used Mojave brown!

on 11/10/2010 5:52:00 PM

Wanted to try an alternative to permanent color. My hair is dark brown with noticible grays. I chose a dark brown to match my natural color.
Cons - does not cover gray well and washes out quickly. So not good for gray coverage.
Pros - smells good for hair color and the conditioner that is included is excellent. Color was nice too. Hair did not feel as fried as after permanent.

I guess I have to stick with permanent to get good gray coverage, otherwise this would be great.

on 11/10/2010 2:40:00 AM

I been using this product for the past two years. I have naturally dark brown hair and I wanted to make my hair a bit lighter and it definately works. I used the lightest golden brown I believe, and everyone gives me compliments on how they love my hair color thinking its natural. It looks more like medium brown now with this beautiful golden-reddish tint when the sun hits it, I love it and how it looks like my natural hair color. The only strange thing about this is that it never fades or goes away, It's only noticeable that my hair is dark brown whenever my roots start growing out.

on 11/8/2010 8:48:00 PM

I've used this repeatedly to tone faded salon highlights or overall color and it is excellent. Shiny, bouncy hair with very natural looking brown shades. I use either Light Ash Brown, Medium Brown or Medium Ash Brown depending on how much red I'm correcting for. I always end up with a nice rich brown that doesn't look purple or green. Love it.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

I love Clairol Natural Instincts! I've tried these shades: Rich Black, Chocolate Creme, and just today Golden Cappuccino. Each one has turned out great! The price is inexpensive and the results are awesome. The colors do run dark so purchase a shade lighter than you normally would. I have extremely thick medium length hair and yet one box was enough! I'd use this product over and over again! It leaves my curly hair shiny and moisturized.