Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color

3.7

I always do at-home hair color and this is one of the best I've tried. I really like how natural it is and the treatment conditioner is also really awesome. I have tried both dark brown tones and the reds, both very pretty. Application is super easy and takes only 10 minutes. My husband always thinks I spend a ton of money getting my hair colored. Little does he know....

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I've used Natural Instincts twice now and I really love this brand. The quality of the gloves and bottle you get in the package are great. Very easy to use and not at all messy if you're careful.

Overall experience: I really love the way this makes my hair feel. I've never felt my hair so soft and silk as after I use this stuff. The conditioner is really wonderful also. When you first rinse the color out, your hair will be a bit crunchy and dry feeling, but this conditioner restores softness instantly. I love that you get 6 uses from the conditioner so you get a weekly treatment. Also, since this is "deposit only" color (no lifting), your cuticles are getting filled in with pigment molecules so your hair is shiny and silky.

It really does take 10 minutes for the color. I was skeptical, since I have low porosity hair, but it comes out pretty true to the box in 10 minutes. I don't have any greys to cover, so I can't speak to that.

Below are my thoughts on #20 and #28G.

The first color I tried was #20 Hazelnut. This is a true medium brown. Doesn't have red or gold tones to it. Perfect neutral medium brown.

The next color I tried was #28G Golden Cappuccino. This color was sort of hard to find in stores because it's part of the "Golden Shimmer" collection. I was hoping for what the package said, which was a "Dark Golden Brown." Got the golden brown, but it isn't dark. It really brightened up my hair. Reminds me of what my hair naturally looks like after time in the sun. So now I'm pretty much at my summer natural tone. It doesn't look brassy and fades nicely. No orangey tones here, which is always the concern with "gold" colors. No red tones either.

My next purchase will be Nutmeg #28. I love how you get a coupon for your next box in the package. I will be getting my next box for $2.99 since I have a $3 off coupon and Natural Instincts is on sale at CVS this week for $5.99. $3 for really nice hair color? Amazing.

This turned my hair a lot darker than I had planned (I don't remember the shade I used), and makes my hair dry, frizzy, and prone to tangling, especially the bottom layers of my hair. However, it's one of the few demi-permanent dyes I can find, so I'll most likely use it again, only with better hair care products to keep the moisture in.

Bought colour 03G Honey Creme (rich light natural blonde). My hair has blonde highlights, low lights, and my roots are brown. I wanted this colour to cover some roots and tone down the blonde in general. It was reccomended by the lady at Shoppers.

I knew there was a problem the second I mixed the colour creme with the colour and it was bright orange....... is this normal? I did a strand test thank god and after ten minutes it turned the strand (especially the blonde pieces) ORANGE.... no way I was doing my whole head in that. No where near a blonde colour at all.

Try L'oreal's Healthy Look number 8 (medium blonde) I bought that at the same time just in case and it turned out great.

I hadnt colored my hair in 3 months and had gotten my hair cut, trying to keep it healthy. However, my hair looked brassy so i needed to get rid of that asap. I bought the shade Nutmeg which is a dark brown. I only left it on for eight minutes instead of ten because i didnt want my hair to be black. Thank god I did. My hair didnt really end up soft and silky even after using the conditioner it came with. And it ended up reeeaaallly dark brown which i didnt want. Its been a week now and the color has faded and looks good. I gave it 3 stars because it did get rid of the brassiness in my hair and my hair doesnt feel like straw. I think im going to try the medium brown next month so my hair will end up a nice chocolate brown :)

Used this for the first time today and i'm amazed at how great my hair looks. I chose a color close to my natural shade (#13 suede) as i wanted to cover a few gray hairs.Did a strand test and then did my entire head. Left it on for 12 minutes. End result? Shiny, healthy looking natural color. Will definitely use again.

Can't understand why people are giving this bad reviews-if you do a strand test in advance then you know how long to leave the color on for and what the end result will be.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have used various shades of this product over the years before I finally admitted to myself that it just wasn't any good on my hair. I'm not sure why I kept buying it to be honest! I didn't color my hair at home for a few years as I was going to a salon, but I decided to go dark again and that's easy enough to do myself so I picked some of this up again to save $$... it seems like no matter what shade I buy, I get red tones. Granted my hair picks up red super easily, but I could get ash tones, neutral, cool, you name it and my hair would be dark brown with red shimmer. :/ I get much better results with the HerbaShine line.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Using Clairol's Champagne on Ice' was a big mistake! I have used a Champagne color before, so I thought that I would try this new shade. I last colored my hair with a medium ash blonde and thought that 'Champange on Ice' would deepen my blonde hair and cover the grey. It left my hair a dark dirty blonde, with dark streaks running through it. My roots are still lighter also and I have never had this happen before with any hair product. I am wondering if it has to do with my using a ash (cool) color before and changing it to a nuetral color?? I have washed my hair 5 times with little fading of color. If anyone has had a similar experience, I would appreciate hearing from them. I will wait a few days and re-dye it. I have used golden, ash and champagne colors before without problems and have used Clairol products before too. I guess, I am wondering if anyone has something good to say about 'Champane on Ice'??

I'm really pretty upset. Mad even. I bought the "champagne on ice" semi-permanent, which I had hoped would tone my hair, maybe even darken it a bit. I didn't even really care what it did as long as it was within several shades of the box model's hair. The color my hair turned has nothing to do with champagne or ice. It's like a dark dirty copper with grey twinges. Unfortunately, this product has proven very difficult to wash to a lighter color. This quality would I'm sure be a plus...if you liked the color it turned your hair. Any suggestions as to how I can get this out of my hair would be appreciated.

This was the first time I tried a semi permanent hair color out of a box and I was very much happy with the results!! Went from blond to a nice warm red / auburn / light brown! Used Mojave brown!

Top Rated Clairol Products