August 23, 2014 | 1731 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Natural Instincts Hair Color

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2010 2:37:00 AM More reviews by AnonymousElle

As far as semi-permanent hair colors go, this product is the best out there, I think. Colors are all pretty wearable, not too damaging to the hair, last fairly long, and generally don't leave a stain on your hair unless you get into the dark browns and blacks - and are doing it repeatedly.

Tried quite a few in the medium and dark brown range, and they were all pretty true to the color they said they would be, with one exception: the Pecan color was supposed to be a golden brown, and it definitely showed up more red then gold on my hair.

It's a good product to start playing around with if you're new to hair color. It's pretty hard to goof up!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2010 4:07:00 PM More reviews by hotmom37

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff...perfect for those with darker hair color who don't want to spend hundreds at the salon just to freshen up color and cover a few grays. One tip...I had to reapply to gray hairs for an extra 10 minutes to completely cover them. Otherwise, the color is gorgeous and my hair is in excellent condition with plenty of shine. Its true, the colors run dark. I used Suede (light brown) and my hair is a medium to deep reddish brown. I've used the dark brown colors before and my hair looks black so this is just right.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2010 8:02:00 PM More reviews by Chocolatee5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just love this product, i will only buy this one from now. No amonia,10 minutes and a very good conditionner that smells like coconut. I pick the chocolate cream one, it gave me a very beautiful natural rich brown, dark brown that is very close to my natural color.

It have no smell,doesnt stain and my hair are very soft with it. I recommand this product to every women.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2010 10:36:00 PM More reviews by pantaloons55

This is my review on Natural Instincts Creme in Rich Dark Blonde - 7.5 - Maple Creme

I've been using NI for 10 years in between highlights, to bring my hair back to a more natural colour. I have used many colours, during my crazy colour changing phase, and never had a really bad experience. Admittedly, if you have warm undertones, you need to be careful with "golden" or warm colours, because they will be warm! I have used toasted almond, and it was slightly warmer then i would like now, but i enjoyed it at the time. The biggest thing folks need to remember is that this dye deposits colour only, does not lighten much, and for that, you need some basic colour theory. For the love of god, don't do red or ash over bleached white hair. Do something neutral first so you don't end up pink or grey/green hair. If you're a newbie, call the help line.

Anyhow, this is my first time using their "Creme" line. As usual, my hair ended up perfect. The formula is very nice, less drippy then the other stuff, and you put it on DRY hair, which is a change. It seems like there is slightly less product, but i think its jus that my hair is much longer then the last time i coloured. I love this colour, its as close as I have ever found to my natural colour -- only prettier and brighter of course. :) Its a neutral shade, and it does look quite natural. It definitely helps my hair look and feel healthier after the ravages of the bleach. It did run slightly dark, but i prefer it, and left it on 15 minutes rather then 10. Most folks would call it a light brown, however, i fully expect it will lighten up over the coming week.

Very satisfied... as usual :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2010 9:39:00 PM More reviews by kiersten0513

the only hair color i use. i highlight my hair often but i do not like adding highlights when they grow out so i color in between with natural instincts i use different shades to go along with the season. I find that even when i do not do highlights i dont have any roots this product gives great coverage and it true to the shade. awsome product

rated 3 of 5 on 8/25/2010 12:02:00 PM More reviews by JenniferBeggan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

ive used this product several times, all different shades. i have natural dark blonde hair but i have highlights plus a little sun in. so its blonde by far. i wanted to make it ashier, my hair was GREEN AND GREY!! yes green and grey! so i had to dye over it with another box of brown and now i hate being a brunette and have to wait for it to wash out..ugghh

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2010 1:56:00 PM More reviews by Cellardoor367

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this Clairol Natural instincts hair color for about 7 months now, maybe more. I use Sahara Blonde, which is the lightest blonde color available. My natural hair color is ash blonde. (If you have seen ash blonde in the store you know its actually a very grey looking light brown).

There are some things I don't like about this hair color, but I feel like it is the best product out there for my needs right now, and I will continue to use it.

What I like:
* It says non permanent (not true) but it is way more gentle on my hair then permanent dyes.
* When it grows out there is no definent root line, it seems to just blend in for a while, this allows me to color it less often.
* Only take 10-15 minutes to process.
*Color is not as light as pictured, instead it seems that how light it gets depends on your hair color.
* Less split ends and damage then any other color I have used.
* When using a brush and color mixing bowl I got from Sallys, I can touch up my roots 3 times from just one box!

The things I don't like:
* The color looks brassy so I have to counter this with a purple shampoo for blondes.
*Wish there was more of a natural highlight effect.

Never color your hair at home without consulting your hairstylist first, if you don't educate yourself -it is bound to end in disaster!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2010 11:10:00 PM More reviews by urbanmonk

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used to use the Clairol Beautiful collection, then used to the CBC Advance gray, but it started to make my scalp irritated and itch like mad (too bad because I really liked the colors). I tried Herbashine and felt that there was too much red in their dye. So, here I am on my second box of Natural Instincts. I was looking for a dark brown, non-permanent dye that didn't scream red in direct sun. I'm using Clove (Medium Ash Brown) because other reviewers complained that it is really a very dark bown-- and they're right-- and I like that I've found an ash shade that comes out dark brown. I may try Nutmeg, but so far I'm really impressed with the Clove. It covers gray and lasts about a week longer than the Clairol Beautiful Collection did.
EDIT: stopped using this-- I have a PPD allergy and this caused too much scalp and skin itching. Reverted back to Clairol Beautiful Collection

rated 2 of 5 on 8/6/2010 9:59:00 PM More reviews by xoxojentry

If you are a brunnette wanting to go lighter then do not buy this product. this product did not work at all for me! It did absolutey nothing! If you have light brown hair and are wantng to go blonde leave it in for a lot longer than the box says. If you dont then your hair will turn out an orangish color. This product also fades very vey quickly. It is supposed to last a month but only lasts a week.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/3/2010 10:27:00 AM More reviews by inkblot15

I really wanted to like this stuff....but I didn't.

PRO: doesn't smell bad
the conditioner smells good
short amount of time

CON: runs darker, I used the creme rich medium brown and parts of my hair turned out BLACK! not even a good black, like a "set your hair on fire and couldn't put it out fast enough" burnt to a crisp black
didn't cover the previous hair dye completly (however before it was salon dyed but that was over a year ago)
not enough of it in the box to cover all of my hair, I have thick boob length hair and if I were to but this again (which I WON'T) I would need to buy two boxes
It seems darker near the bottom, I don't know if the split ends absorbed the color or what but seriously....
I gave it two stars because I am convinced it will look better after a haircut to cut the ends off but, I would definatly not recommend this
EDIT: okay I got a haircut and it looks much better, after a week or so the black dissapeared and now my hair is an even dark color, upgrading to a three