December 19, 2014 | 1599 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2008 11:28:00 AM More reviews by reasonle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

EDIT--- i realized this is kinda pinky on me, i want to try the other colors though!

i love this finishing powder! it is a good neutral translucent, and sets mu beautifully! its only 1.72 at target which is amazing! the sponge it comes with is so bad, just toss it and use either a good puff or a brush. it gives the nice airbrushed finish, and i noticed that it did cut down on oilies. i still have to blot my combo skin, but there was definitely less oil on my face using this powder! i really like this stuff! the outside of the packaging looks so cute, but i am always afraid the hinge will break. its not an actual hinge, just bent plastic. other than packaging, this stuff is lovely!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2008 6:28:00 PM More reviews by brwneyedgymnast23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is such a great powder! I tried the loose version of this and I didn't like it. But then I got the pressed on a whim and I love it! It's so cheap ($1.72 at Target) and the packaging is great, it's slim and sleek and even has a mirror in it. I use it over my Make Up For Ever Face and Body foundation and it works great. Looks natural and takes away the shiny-ness from it. If I ever finish it, I will definitly buy it again. I'm actually trying to finish it because I want to use the compact for my Maybelline dream matte powder foundation! lol. I like that stuff but the compact is gigantic.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2008 3:39:00 PM More reviews by lexijojohnson

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I know it is basically free, but not a good product. It shows up as ghostly on your skin - and I have very fair skin. Chalky, just sits there...not a good investment, even in a pinch!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2008 6:02:00 AM More reviews by KellyBag

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First let me say I love this powder, it's cheap and it does the job, also has a fairly simple list of ingredients; as for the packaging, well that's another story. Thank goodness it's easy to pop out of it's flimsy plastic compact because it fits perfectly in my old T Leclerc compact. Go ahead, try it yourself, I assume it'll fit in any high end compact, providing of course it's a round one.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2008 8:21:00 PM More reviews by katenabi

First of all-- I am ridiculously pale, and have no way to get color (I don't tan or burn), so this doesn't make me look ghost-like as some reviews say. I use it as a set powder, and I love it. It removes shine, but doesn't look powdery. And for the price, I mean, c'mon! It is only like two u.s. dollars....

The packaging needs major help though.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2008 11:15:00 AM More reviews by jodee4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this to touch up during the day.. it's dreadful and makes you look like a ghost. Do not waste your money on it...

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2008 2:00:00 PM More reviews by Melhadjis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is cheap yet effective! get some! It is great for controling oil and blotting. I love it. and it leaves me with a beautiful finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2008 12:44:00 AM More reviews by fartsyartsy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Great translucent powder for setting face make up once completely done. This is the last step in my routine and it really helps keep my face from getting oily.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2008 1:57:00 PM More reviews by UrbanSkies

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like the NYC loose powder pretty well (besides that it gives an orangey tint to my pale face), but this pressed powder is unwearable on my dry skin. It's good that it's very pale and it certainly covers well/thickly, but it looks like a white cakey mask on me (goth or geisha). It sucks my skin completely dry of the little bit of oil it needs to survive, and also glaringly highlights any dry flakes.

However, I found a use for it so that I don't have to throw it away: It's great on my slightly oily eyelids. It creates an excellent matte surface for eyeshadow to cling to -- sets it very well and keeps it in place all day!

This powder might work for women with oily skin or for anyone going for a dramatically pale look. It's also nice that it's very inexpensive.

EDIT: Thanks to veggigoddess for mentioning that NYC tests on animals! I'm going to completely avoid NYC from now on. So, in light of knowing that, I would NOT recommend this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2008 9:19:00 PM More reviews by glasstrash

I use a oil-free liquid foundation, and this works great to set it and minimize shine. The packaging seems flimsy, but it's never broken. The applicator is junk, so toss it and use a fluffy powder brush instead. This product won't work well on dry patches of skin, it really accentuates them, even if you use a good moisturizer on them. Overall, this is an outstanding product for $1, but best on oily skin.