July 30, 2014 | 2017 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2008 6:02:00 AM More reviews by KellyBag

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First let me say I love this powder, it's cheap and it does the job, also has a fairly simple list of ingredients; as for the packaging, well that's another story. Thank goodness it's easy to pop out of it's flimsy plastic compact because it fits perfectly in my old T Leclerc compact. Go ahead, try it yourself, I assume it'll fit in any high end compact, providing of course it's a round one.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2008 8:21:00 PM More reviews by katenabi

First of all-- I am ridiculously pale, and have no way to get color (I don't tan or burn), so this doesn't make me look ghost-like as some reviews say. I use it as a set powder, and I love it. It removes shine, but doesn't look powdery. And for the price, I mean, c'mon! It is only like two u.s. dollars....

The packaging needs major help though.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2008 11:15:00 AM More reviews by jodee4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this to touch up during the day.. it's dreadful and makes you look like a ghost. Do not waste your money on it...

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2008 2:00:00 PM More reviews by Melhadjis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is cheap yet effective! get some! It is great for controling oil and blotting. I love it. and it leaves me with a beautiful finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2008 12:44:00 AM More reviews by fartsyartsy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Great translucent powder for setting face make up once completely done. This is the last step in my routine and it really helps keep my face from getting oily.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2008 1:57:00 PM More reviews by UrbanSkies

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like the NYC loose powder pretty well (besides that it gives an orangey tint to my pale face), but this pressed powder is unwearable on my dry skin. It's good that it's very pale and it certainly covers well/thickly, but it looks like a white cakey mask on me (goth or geisha). It sucks my skin completely dry of the little bit of oil it needs to survive, and also glaringly highlights any dry flakes.

However, I found a use for it so that I don't have to throw it away: It's great on my slightly oily eyelids. It creates an excellent matte surface for eyeshadow to cling to -- sets it very well and keeps it in place all day!

This powder might work for women with oily skin or for anyone going for a dramatically pale look. It's also nice that it's very inexpensive.

EDIT: Thanks to veggigoddess for mentioning that NYC tests on animals! I'm going to completely avoid NYC from now on. So, in light of knowing that, I would NOT recommend this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2008 9:19:00 PM More reviews by glasstrash

I use a oil-free liquid foundation, and this works great to set it and minimize shine. The packaging seems flimsy, but it's never broken. The applicator is junk, so toss it and use a fluffy powder brush instead. This product won't work well on dry patches of skin, it really accentuates them, even if you use a good moisturizer on them. Overall, this is an outstanding product for $1, but best on oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2008 4:41:00 PM More reviews by Rebuildme

This powder is awesome. I stock up on it and buy a package of fluffier applicators for this and the loose powder. This does not orange out on my pale skin. I love love love this powder and I have not experience any break outs because of it. I've hunted for the perfect powder; the only other I've found was by Almay but this costs so much less... and the one by Jane just isn't readily available.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/24/2007 3:53:00 AM More reviews by snowcake

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The pressed powder version of this is slightly better than the loose powder, but both didn't work on me. This one is less orange and suited my PPP skin better and was more translucent, but that's partly because this is sheerer than the loose powder. I can't complain much about the color, but the texture is equally as bad. It's cakey and unflattering on me. Also, the packaging is really cheap and sad looking. I just get kind of depressed when I look at it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2007 4:25:00 PM More reviews by eyelinerhappy41907

I love this! I have very oily skin and this keeps my face shine free and I only have to reapply once during the whole day. It evens out my skin tone very well (no foundation). It works very well to set concealer too. I use it with a large fluffy brush to make it look natural. And I'm acne-prone and it hasn't made me break out at all. Awesome product. A lot of people complain about the packaging but I personally love it! Plus it's dirt cheap. I'm a very happy camper. =) The only flaw is the sponge it comes with but that's easily replacable and isn't a big deal. I just use it with a large brush and with a soft makeup sponge from Walgreens for touchups and blend really well.