July 28, 2014 | 1743 users online

Liquid - Chanel - Vitalumiere

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2011 1:10:00 AM More reviews by Karidinka

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This would be my HG foundation if only it didn't break me out after using for a few days in a row... however I like the other results so much I will continue using it, just making sure to give my skin a rest every once in a while. My current routine is: applying Vitalumiere for 3 days, taking a break for 2 days (steaming my face and using the Aztec healing mask during this period), then starting over again.

I've tried many both high and low-priced foundations (minerals included) in search for the perfect one, focusing on their ability to not break me out. So far, my favorite has been Revlon Colorstay, being the only one that doesn't break me out at all, but unfortunately it leaves my face looking too chalky, so I can't use it during the day (it's OK for the evening though). I stumbled across Vitalumiere and was drawn to it because I found the bottle to be very pretty (yeah, I know - ridiculous, lol) and let the saleslady talk me into purchasing it WITHOUT GETTING A SAMPLE FIRST - something I never do! Well, I was lucky :D

The coverage isn't as super-duper as Revlon Colorstay, but then again, I don't really need it - aside from 2 broken capillaries near my nose that can easily be covered up with concealer, my skin is evenly toned and flawless (unless I break out from using a "wrong" product, but that's a different story). I like that this product offers a natural dewy look (opposed to the slightly chalky mask I get when applying RC). The staying power is great. I will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2011 9:41:00 PM More reviews by nattyngeorge

It's pretty unbelievable how all of the reviews I've read for this foundation say the same pros & cons - and my review won't be much different. I picked up a sample at my Chanel counter of the shade Beige 40, a great match for my skintone. I'm anywhere from NC30-NC40 and I would say it's around NC37-NC40. I swatched it next to MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NC40 and they are pretty similar in depth, but Studio Fix is much more yellow toned. Beige 40 is warm, but it lacks yellow. Despite the fact that yellow is a must in my foundations, this still works for me. I love the scent of this foundation, if you're familiar with Chanel products, many of them share the same scent (exactly like Chanel Bronze Universel/Soleil Tan De Chanel).. It's a light, refreshing scent - if you sniff hard enough (lol) you can detect the chemical smell that's covered up with fragrance. The consistency is very light and thin/runny. Some don't, but I do - call this foundation watery (but, slightly creamy). I use a standard foundation brush to apply this to my face, then I go over it with a duo-fibre brush to really work it in and make the finish seamless. It takes a minute or so to set before it looks its best. The coverage is on the lighter side of Medium & builds well. It doesn't cover up blemishes/scars 100%, so after I apply the foundation, I take my MAC 224 brush and swirl a little concealer on any spots that need extra coverage. The finish is really beautiful. It leaves my skin very radiant, and in between a dewy/satin. I find the outcome is a little similar to Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk (but less coverage) or MUFE Face & Body (but more radiant/glowy). I'd say after a few hours, my skin gets quite dewy, and I'll need to dust some setting powder on my face. It lasts well throughout the day with minor wearing off (the tip of my nose wears off and a little bit around my lips). I'd say this is a good 6-8 hour foundation with a powder touch up in between. I like to mix it with Guerlain Parure Extreme (shade #3) for a little bit added coverage and they work lovely together, as the textures are similar.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2011 12:13:00 AM More reviews by amikuki

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is one of my favorite foundations. The texture is perfect in my opinion; it's quite thin but not watery/oily, making it super easy to blend. It creates a soft, matte finish that offers medium coverage (but is buildable) yet is natural looking. This foundation is also incredibly long-lasting. I wore it out one evening and came home too late (and drunk) to bother removing it, but when I woke up the next morning, my skin seriously looked the way it had when I left the day before (eyes were a different story). It might have been a fluke, but I haven't tried it again. Normally, foundation ends up feeling heavy on my skin after a couple of hours and makes my face look oily and my pores enlarged. But, not this foundation. I don't know how it does it but this product makes my skin looking matte all day while giving me the perfect amount of coverage.

The only reason I can't call this my HG foundation and give it 5 lippies is because of the color. My friends and I agree that Chanel foundations, in general, are a little off on their coloring. This one is no exception; the lightest color in this collection is too light and the second lightest is slightly too dark, making me a little dull. But, even though it's not absolutely perfect, this is still a fabulous product that I turn to for special occasions and will continue to do so until I find my HG foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2011 5:28:00 PM More reviews by julees70

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This last winter has been awful and horrible with tons of snow and icy cold temps, and my usually normal-combo (more oily t-zone in the summertime, slightly dry cheeks in the winter) was suffering from extra dryness. This foundation was great for keeping my skin hydrated, gave me medium coverage, plus that dewy look that I prefer. I found that if I left it on too long (12+ hrs), it had a tendency to clog my pores - this isn't oil-free, so it definitely is not for oily skin, or even combo (unless it's wintertime). I'll switch to Vitalumiere Aqua when the weather warms up, as already it's a little too much for my t-zone. If you have dry-combo skin and like a dewy finish, give this a try!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/18/2011 11:16:00 AM More reviews by elizabetch

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was shopping for a light - meduim cover foundation, and was interested in Chanel's products. I did not buy this and don't own it, so this review is based on me wearing it for a full day on half my face, with Vitalumiere Aqua on the other half. This foundation is beautiful and covers nicely without being cakey, but as mentioned by others, it's the shine factor that turned me off. I love a dewey look, but for my combo skin I just get too oily. Also, this got all over my cell phone when I held it to my ear for a 10min conversation, which leads me o believe I could have ruined a lot of white shirts wearing this! Not to say it isn't a lovely product, but just not for me. The colour matching for me was perfect, but I ended up buying the VL Aqua instead because I preferred the finish & the fact that it doesn't rub off easily.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2011 10:50:00 AM More reviews by twilightdust1920

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this foundation having heard all the raves about it and I was not disappointed! However, as amazing as it was, it's not perfect objectively and on a personal level. Here's the pros and cons objectively:

PRO: It smoothed away my pores, does not cling to flaking skin and just makes my skin look absolutely radiant! The coverage was absolutely perfect-you know, where skin looks flawlessly photoshopped whilst still looking like skin. This foundation also has the most natural finish I have ever come across, that is if you have naturally smooth, silky and poreless skin. It gives you such a beautiful, healthy sheen to the face, like a natural highlight which is especially pretty with a translucent powder on top (eg. MUFE HD, Jurlique silk powder). Its also pretty much idiot proof; hands or brush it will never streak, it blends so effortlessly. It also washes off easily (YAY NO CLOGGED PORES)

Cons: Powder is imperative. Even on normal skin (dry skinned girls can get away with it I think). Just as a preemptive maneuver. Because even if the initial glow is beautiful, you will get oily. Its does not have fantastic staying power, so if you need to be flawless for over 8 hours a day I suggest you use this as a 'special occasion' foundation. DO NOT REST YOUR FACE ON YOUR MAN'S SHIRT. It will get extremely awkward (and potentially humiliating) when he looks down at the piece of art you've left behind. The texture is a very runny, so it does feel light, but still quite sticky if you know what I mean. Color selection (as with all chanel foundations) is not great, but very forgiving.

Personally: It's not the best for my combination-oily skin, but I have to say it is a gorgeous foundation. I do wish it were lighter and yellower for color and more durable on my face but I can suck it up for how beautiful it makes my skin look. I dont feel the price is either a positive or negative aspect, it just costs as much as you would expect from a quality foundation.

Additionally, those of you with combo/oily skin who LOVED the finish/effect of this foundation but felt you could not wear it NEVER FEAR, I realized that by mixing my vitalumiere in 20 with the DiorNude skinfinish in 21 I get my HG foundation! The vitalumiere gives the dior the glowiness, hydration and finish (dior was a bit drying and stuck to flakies), whilst the dior gives me the perfect color and wear; it also toned down a bit of the dewiness which I sometimes need.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/18/2011 9:19:00 AM More reviews by ManorDuchess

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Bought this product for the marketing promises - sheer and brightening. What I got was shiny. At $65US this was definitely not worth it. Previously, I had used Armani foundation which I liked much better. Lesson learned... stick with what works and ignore the marketing.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/17/2011 9:48:00 PM More reviews by megmccl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

i will start by saying i loved the finish of this foundation and the coverage was great.

i only had a sample of it that i got from my chanel counter to try the foundation out before i bought it. i am SO glad i did!

i used this foundation for a couple days and i loved it, then my skin broke out like it never has before. i thought maybe my skin was just in a bad mood, so i switched to one of my fuller coverage foundations. then when my skin cleared up which it did pretty quickly, i switched back to vitalumiere. my skin broke out again terribly.

that was when i realized it was the foundation, which is upsetting. i had never heard of this foundation making people break out, so i was kind of shocked and sad.

to be honest i am not sure if it was a breakout or an allergic reaction, it was just terrible.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2011 5:42:00 PM More reviews by Hanouna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I found the color match to be very good, but the formula is way too sticky and dewy for me, as I have oily skin. This foundation provides medium coverage.

This would be a good foundation for younger women who can really pull off the dewy look and for someone who does not need a lot of coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2011 3:32:00 AM More reviews by jadukdik

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

GREAT GREAT GREAT foundation! leaves a very lovely finish. My face looks glowy and healthy but not oily. It has a slight scent though so if you're sensitive to that you might not light it. The coverage is minimal but the finish totally blows me away. Non-irritating on my sensitive skin. LOVE!