Desert Essence Jojoba Oil - 100 pure

4.3

Not tested on animals

Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have been using Jojoba Oil for about a year now. It's probably the best thing that has ever happened to my scalp. Not to mention the advantages to using it for my hair. If you are looking for something to add moisture into your hair/scalp or achieve stronger healthier hair, this is the stuff you need to get! It can be used on any hair type, but is especially good for brittle and dry hair.

Background -

Jojoba (ho-HO-ba) Oil comes from the seeds of a shrub (Simmondsia chinenisthat) that is found in northwestern Mexico and the southwestern United States. Although it is called an oil, it's technically a liquid wax or a wax ester. Of all of the compounds in nature, Jojoba Oil is the most similar to human skin oil (sebum). It's hypoallergenic, non-irritating and non-comedogenic. It also contains vitamin E and has antibacterial and antioxidant properties. No wonder Jojoba Oil is one of the most used ingredients in hair products!

For the Scalp -

Jojoba Oil seals in lasting moisture to your scalp without leaving an oily residue. It balancing PH levels and strengthens you hair follicle shafts to promote stronger and healthier hair with less shedding. It also helps control the sebum production of the scalp, effectively balancing the natural oil's your body makes and preventing dry scalp flakes (commonly mistaken for dandruff).

For the hair -

Dry hair is one of the biggest causes of split ends and breakage. Jojoba Oil protects your hair by infusing long lasting moisture. Unlike most water based product, it does not evaporate but instead soaks into your hair shafts. This makes your hair stronger and gives you a long lasting healthy shine.

How to Use Jojoba Oil -

. You can use Jojoba Oil as an ingredient in a hair mask or as a mask by itself. This is probably the most effective way to use this oil, because it allows an adequate amount of time to penetrate your hair shafts and soak into your scalp. You should message it into your scalp and leave it in your hair as long as possible. Cover with a shower cap or saran wrap to keep in heat and speed up absorption (and keep in the mess).

. You can add a couple drops (a little goes a long way!) of Oil into your normal conditioner. This will give you more of a deep conditioning effect every time you shower.

. If your hair is looking frizzy or dull you can use a small amount of Jojoba Oil to smooth out the cuticle and make your hair shiny and healthy.

If you plan on buying Jojoba Oil make sure it is organic, with no preservatives or additives. Because this oil is naturally high in Vitamin E it is very stable, and has a long shelf life. Desert Essence is the brand I use.

As far as facial purposes, Jojoba Oil was a huge bust for me. It made me break out something horrible. I tried to use it as a moisturizer and as an ingredient in OCM.... Good thing it's so great for my hair! lol

on 4/1/2012 1:06:00 PM

HG. Hands down.

on 3/30/2012 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

EDIT October 2012. So it's been more than half a year since I used this daily (for just a few weeks) on my scalp. The problems I used to have with my scalp - mainly zits and a gross smell as soon as it got oily which was within hours of washing it - went away and haven't returned! YAY!

I use this for something I haven't often seen mentioned: scalp problems. I abuse my scalp by coloring my hair regularly and washing it every day followed by blow-drying. Due to this, plus probably genetic factors, my scalp is oily and often develops little pimples (I can't see them but can feel them - scalp acne! I know, GROSS) but is also dehydrated and therefore itchy. I can't go a day without washing or else it looks bad and smells bad because of the oiliness. So, I decided I'd try jojoba oil because I'd heard it is very similar to sebum and good to use for any plugged hair follicle issues. I had also tried coconut oil previously, but found that way too greasy to use on the scalp (it's great for other uses!). The jojoba oil is really making a difference: I rub it in at night and leave it in till the morning when I wash my hair. My scalp seems to be improving - it's been just a few weeks!

on 3/29/2012 11:38:00 AM

This product initially seemed like a miracle product. It brought my super dry scaly skin (due to acne.org's system) back to healthy moisturized skin. However after about three weeks of using this I started getting awful acne that would head and then remain on my face. My face is just now clearing up and it has been about a month since I've stopped using this. Great moisturizer, but broke me out!

on 3/25/2012 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

i absolutely love this stuff--it's truly a miracle oil for me! i only use it for skin moisturization (facial skin). it absorbs well, and leaves my skin feeling comfortable. i can't see a time when i won't use this product. definitely recommend this for people with dry/sensitive/temperamental skin.

on 3/25/2012 10:31:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Pure jojoba oil is probably my all time favorite beauty-product, and this one is my fav out of them mainly beacause of the small slim plastic bottle. I used to use the jojoba oil by Julia Lawless but that one is in a really heavy glass bottle and is very inconvenient to travel with but this one is nice.

I use jojoba oil for several things; cleanse my skin (makes an really good makeup-remover, takes of EVERYTHING, even stubborn makeup like waterproof mascara and Revlon ColourStay), moisturise face & body and as a hair/scalp-treatment. I've been using it basically every single day for 5 years and will not stop with it in the near future.

on 3/13/2012 9:46:00 AM

This made me break out. I'm using the acne.org Benzoyl Peroxide & I was told to add this to moisturizer for the drying skin caused by the treatment. I was also told this would be a great makeup remover. I tried it for both & what do you know? I started breaking out. I give up on oils because every single one I've tried has broken me out.

on 3/5/2012 6:42:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Jojoba oil is my secret weapon, I use it for so many things. I use it as an oil cleanser, a moisturizer, a hair treatment, and it adds a kick to whatever product you mix it with.

When I massage it over my face, it removed even the most waterproof, long wearing makeup. When I rub it long enough, I can feel it dissolving the blackheads around my nose and chin. I use a wash cloth wet with warm water to wipe it away, and I'm left with skin that is clean, but not stripped.

I have skin that tends to be normal/dry in the cooler months, and combo/oily in the warmer ones. I find that this does a great job of balancing out my skin and keeps it looking healthy and radiant. I have even been able to get rid of my nighttime moisturizer altogether and just use a couple drops of this. It absorbs very quickly for me,and doesn't leave a greasy residue.

This does wonders for my hair, too. My hair is thick, wavy, and coarse, and I don't do it any favors by dying it at least once a month. After every shower, I rub a little bit of this through the ends, and I have seen a significant improvement in my hair's health.

For daytime use, I like to mix a drop of this with my Netrogena Oil-Free moisturizer, especially in the winter. I like the non greasy feel of this moisturizer, but when my skin is drier, I need a little more oomph. This gives it to me, again, without the greasy feel.

on 3/2/2012 9:09:00 AM

After reading the nice reviews about this product, I said to myself that I have to try it! I did and it didn't go well. I tried it from many brands. It is horrible.

As a cleanser- I put a few drops in my palms, I warmed up the oil, applied it on my face and neck, massaged, washed it off first with a cotton pad soaked in warm water and then with my facial wash, followed up by my toner. Gave me deep cysts and some pimples.

As a moisturiser- the first few times I put it on dry skin and I noticed that the next morning my skin was dry with some white patches so the next evening I put it on wet skin and in the morning my skin was looking better. But after just few days, this stuff gave me pimples and cysts. I thought I am having the purging days but after a few weeks of trying different brands, I just had to give up on it because it gave me some horrible, deep, painful cysts on my neck and on my face that lasted for weeks to go away and left scars!

on 2/27/2012 9:04:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this stuff. It's dirt cheap and I put one small drop on my face as the last step in my nightly skincare routine. This has become a staple moisturizer.