August 30, 2014 | 1642 users online

Loose Powders - NARS - Loose Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2007 1:00:00 AM More reviews by gina66

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just bought this after having run out of LM translucent powder. After reading the reviews, I thought I'd give it a try. So far, so good. I'm an NC20 and I got this in Eden. It seems to be a good color match. It hasn't turned orange on me like most powders do, and it really looks natural. There's no "powder" look to my skin like I'm used to, and it doesn't accentuate my dry patches, which is great! It just makes me look like I have good skin. I do have to blot after a few hours, but my skin is very oily and I usually have to blot anyway. And once I do blot, my skin looks good again. I have to agree with others about the awful packaging. I just cleaned out my old LM container and transferred this powder to it. I'll definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2007 3:44:00 PM More reviews by vitas

absolutely the best

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2007 4:05:00 AM More reviews by LaaLaa109

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

*photo added*

I have found my HG powder and I owe it all to you MUA girls because I never would've found this without your reviews so thank you!! After reading all the great reviews here, I went onto Sephora's website immediately to check it out. One look at their price and I was instantly put off by it. $33 for powder to go over my foundation seemed a little too pricey to say the least. But, after considering multiple powders with mediocre reviews even if they had a cheaper price tag, I took the plunge and couldn't be happier with my purchase.

After looking at the powder colors online, I thought I would be an Eden (between NC20 & NC25) but turns out it was too light and got the Beach instead. The powder colors on Sephora's site does not represent the actual colors well and I'd say Nars' official site has a better picture representation of them. (Edit: I was just looking at Nars' Pressed Powder on Sephora's site and I'd say that gives it the most accurate portrayal of the actual colors so try using that as a guide instead of the actual Loose Powder colors.) The Beach is not at all that ugly deep yellow but a neutral with some yellow but let it be noted that since this is a translucent powder, the colors will not noticeably show up too much.

*Major Edit* I recently switched to a new foundation and have FINALLY found a shade that matches both the color of my face and neck. It turns out because of the foundation I was wearing at the time of purchase was too dark, Beach also turned out to be too dark for me. So, buyers take into account that if your foundation is not the right match for you, you might end up buying the wrong shade like me. Anyway, I ended up giving the Beach to my sister and I've in turn purchased the Eden; finally a perfect match in my opinion. After telling my mom about this powder, she instantly wanted to get one for herself (Flesh) and we're now one big happy Nars loving group of women in my family. I wanted to contribute my findings as far as the shades of the powder goes so I have put up a **PHOTO** comparing the three shades. :)

I love the texture of this; it's so smooth and silk-like as many have said. But, what I love the most about this powder is that it does not leave a powdery finish AT ALL!! I used to use MAC's Blot powder but that always left me with a powdery look, despite the fact that it was applied with a skunk brush and I absolutely hated my finished face everyday. Now, when I dust the powder over my face with a skunk brush or even with a puff, it doesn't look the least bit powdery; just blends into my skin to give me a flawless finish. I mean it people, if you are sick of your powdery makeup finish, go with this and you won't be disappointed. As far as oil controlling properties, I'd say it's pretty average but make a note that no powder alone will completely mattify your face for a whole day. I'm completely in love with this powder and will definitely repurchase when I run out. Although, there is a whole lot of powder in this so I doubt I'll have to make a repurchase anytime soon. One thing I think they could improve is the packaging. The case is not at all finger print or powder resistant so if you try to open the box with hands or fingers that has even a slight residue of makeup, whether it be foundation or shimmery bronzer, it will get on the box and make it look messy. Besides that, best powder on the market, loose or pressed, hands down.

As you can see, the photographs of the powder on the site does a very poor job of representing the actual colors. continued >>

23 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2007 7:03:00 PM More reviews by avantgardelovers

i adore nars! picked this up today and was really impressed by the product. i really love the barely there feel, and it really enhances your skin! i picked up some albatross highlighter too and now my skin is glowingggggg

perks: great packaging, LOTS of product,no trace of face makeup look, can't feel it on your skin

con: it's loose powder, always kinda messy

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2007 5:51:00 PM More reviews by xel_ha

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have this in Beach. It's a close match to my medium olive skintone. My skin has yellow undertones but right when the sun hits my face, my face turns pink and my neck yellow---go figure! I tried Eden and it's a little light. I might get that on winter though. Here's what I think about this loose powder:
1) It's finely milled and silky; Disappears in the skin; Doesn't dry out my face
2) It's matte finish but I do get oily in couple of hours; I have to blot
2) Good value for the amount of product
3) The packaging is so-so. It's a little messy and not travel friendly.

For ref. I have very oily acne-prone/sensitive skin. I just tried this on and I'm hoping that it won't break me out. I also have these loose powders for comparison: Chanel (it holds the oilies longer); Dior Invisible(discontinued but I stocked up--the best so far;La Prairie (pink based and no oil control); Origins (finely milled but can make me look gray sometimes).

If all goes well with my skin, this is a definite repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2007 5:04:00 AM More reviews by sexysylvia1211

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This a wonderful powder. Firstly i am not a powder person at ALL. Powders have always looked cakey and obvious on me and somehow managed to make my face overall look too made up. But as its getting warmer i thought maybe I SHOULD get one, just to use on my t zone as my foundation has been melting off me lately. So i bought the chantecaille one even though i nearly fainted at the price- 50 in the uk!!!! for a powder!! but i thought if its the best, and at that price it should be, im willing to put it on my credit card! no such luck, i ended up returning it as it just like all the rest. Then i read the reviews for nars loose powder. i bought it online and couldnt decide between the 'eden' or beach for my nc30-35ish/shiseido O60 skintone. I bought beach and im soooooooooo pleased. its an EXACT match for me. But when i put it on, i thought hey wheres the powder? i didnt even look like i had any on. it just went right into my skin, rather than sitting on top of it like most powders do. It isnt chalky, or heavy or anything bad! its amazing! I have this professional airbrushed look to my face, but no one can tell im wearing powder. This stuff is fanatastic AND half the price of chantecaille's!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2007 8:34:00 PM More reviews by PrincessScuzzlebutt2

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I LOVE this loose powder. Cant see it on skin, dosent feel dry, very finely milled. But, i HATE the packaging. Instead of a sifter jar its a net so the powder gets everywhere. I ended up just cutting out the net and using it that way. But IMO the quality of this loose powder beats laura mercier and la mer by far!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2007 1:44:00 PM More reviews by rosalieann

i am amazed at this powder.very finely milled. not cakey at all, you cannot see it laying on you skin, and i am very anal about this aspect of powder.. you cannot tell that it is there it is just like you have perfect skin.you do not appear made up you appear natural. controls shine even on my oily skin. the initial price seems huge until you realize that you get a lot. i can't imagine that this would not last me at least a year to a year and a half. nice little puff that it comes with works perfect for application for me so i will stick with that and not my regular brush. i use this in eden which must be the most popular color since you can never find it on eBay.i do not need a separate foundation when using this product and i am very happy about that. i am not sure if this would be for everyone since i have good skin but i works for me that way. overall the perfect loose powder.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2007 12:28:00 AM More reviews by bolsasycosas

Great powder, it does control the oil in my T zone, it covers a bit and adds that extra to my foundation.

It will had received a 5 rating if not because I found that I am between shades.
I bought "eden" and it looked kind of pink over my foundation, went to exchange it for "beach" and it was too yellow even when I have yellow undertones.

Problem solved when I repurchased eden, mixed 50/50 with beach and now I have my perfect shade.

Price for the amount you receive is so far the fairiest price for a loose powder. Yes, $32 US dollars sounds too much but if you do the math by weight and price you'll see that this one is a bargain compared to Bobbi Brown, Color ID from Lancome and even cheaper than Mineral Veil or Laura Mercier's loose powder.

I plan to give away a bit to my friends and family. With two jars of this mixed I have my powder needs cover for the next year at least.

I place all my loose powders in those small transparent sifter jars from shu uemura, so no powder is wasted ($8.00 each at their website, they also come with a nice powder puff, useless to apply the powder but useful for the powder no to spill in the jar) .

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2007 10:40:00 PM More reviews by aportney

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

This is the best loose better I have ever had. My skin looks flawless after I put it on and the container has a screen so you can shake up the right amount. I was hesitatnt to try the loose powder because I had a lot of problems with the Nars pressed powder. The pressed powder would crumble within a matter of weeks. When I went to exchange the powder, the person suggested the loose powder and I have been hooked since! The only problem is that the container is large - so I bought a little loose powder container from Sephora so I can take the powder with me when I travel.