April 16, 2014 | 891 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Matte

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2011 5:14:00 PM More reviews by enchanted65

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I never ever thought a foundation could make me look so good until I met Nars Sheer Matte. Previous foundations I've tried (for reference) include MUFE HD, various MAC foundations, and Stila Oil-Free. But one day I decided to try Nars since I had heard so many good things about Sheer Glow. since I'm pretty oily, I definitely don't need more "glow" throughout the day, so I picked up Sheer Matte and haven't looked back since. Somehow it does it all - looks great in pictures, in person and covers enough but not too much to look unnatural. In fact, I was at a MAC counter and asked to try Prolongwear foundation and the girl there told me to stick to what I was wearing since it looked so good. bahaha. Application: I almost always apply foundation with my fingers and I've found that it works well. I use shade Stromboli and set it with my MAC mineralize skinfinish natural in Medium Dark. I am around NC 35 but Barcelona was too dark - rule of thumb is to choose the lighter foundation and set it with a darker powder or use a bronzer.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2011 12:21:00 AM More reviews by wonderdreamz

REFERENCE: NC 35
shade bought: Barcelona

I couldn't believe that i use to be in love with this product. FIRST, let me state that this foundation should be used on people with oily to extremely oily skin. After i almost finished the bottle, i realized that the finish was WAY TOO DRYING. The only thing i love about NARS is their color selection. Otherwise, their expensive foundations aren't worth the money

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2011 6:47:00 PM More reviews by pajntaubyaj

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been wearing this foundation for a year. I honestly can't find anything better. I have tested other foundations, and I find myself never as satisfied with how other foundations looked compared to NARS Sheer Matte. NARS Sheer Matte color selection is pretty good and various. I can't attribute my skin breaking out from this foundation. If anything, it has made my skin healthier. I love how my skin never looks oily at the end of the day, but rather dewy like how other reviewers have mentioned.

two complaints: It's expensive & no pump

I have read that some people think this foundation is hard to blend. I would agree, but if you have oily skin and if the foundation keeps your skin from looking less oily for the good part of the day. And if you use a good powder on top, and the foundation is doing it's job, i couldn't ask for more. The end product looks flawless! I buy this foundation because my skin is oily and I don't want it to slip and slide at the end of the day. It does its job. It would be great if it blended more easily, but that's not my primary concern. Keeping oiliness at bay is.

I'd buy again and again until something else is truly better.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/17/2011 6:13:00 PM More reviews by Amieem

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had bought the Nars Sheer Glow prior to buying this, but due to my ily skin I had to return that one. I decided on getting this one because Nars boasted that it mattifies and controls oils. After i got home i was eager to try this foundation. I had high hopes, but sadly this foundation failed me.
I was in need of a sheer-er/lighter foundation for the summer time, and this foundation has "sheer" in the title. But in reality, this foundation is quite thick! Thicker than my usual foundation, Lancome Teint Idole. Also the texture of this foundation was awful! and Did not spread evenly on my skin, it was blotchy and attached onto certain parts and completely spread over other parts leaving them bare. Hate Hate Hate this foundation, it is one of the worst department store foundations i have tried. I will be returning this foundation immediately.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/16/2011 3:53:00 PM More reviews by nikkohli

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

This was not what I had hoped for. I tried it as a sample and it was a disappointment. The only pro is that the color match was good (NW20 with neutral undertones and I used Ceylon). Otherwise it was hard to blend, clung to dry spots that I didn't know my oily skin had, made my pores SO obvious and had to staying power. Will not buy full-size,

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2011 12:54:00 PM More reviews by spacedoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I'll give a bit of background on my skin type and foundation requirements before launching in to this review. I am fair and tend to find most foundations lean too pink or too orange/yellow for my tastes, leading me to assume I am more neutral toned that I thought. I have somewhat combination skin, my cheeks are usually normal, very occasionally dry, but I suffer from a VERY oily t-zone. I used to suffer from acne and have some residual pigmentation issues around my jaw as a result. My perfect foundation would be medium coverage, extremely long lasting, matte without looking mask-like, and, of course, have a perfect colour match.

I feel like I've found a lot of those qualities in NARS Sheer Matte foundation. The first thing I was impressed by was the range of colours available if you're quite pale. I was matched in store by a sales assistant who tried out the following on my jawline: Light 2 (Mont Blanc), Light 3 (Gobi) and Light 4 (Deauville). Gobi and Deauville were a bit too yellow on me, but Mont Blanc looked pretty much perfect. Although it is described as having more pink undertones, the SA felt that it is a bit more beige and fleshy than that, and I'd agree with her. Getting a good colour match is half the battle for me. For reference, the other shades in different brands I use are NC15 in MAC (although I hardly wear MAC foundations as their colours rarely work for me, sadly), 115 in MUFE HD, and Ecru in Estee Lauder Double Wear.

I've been wearing this foundation for the past few days and so far I am very impressed. I will say that I read a lot of the reviews on here before purchasing and that really helped me with application. Brushes don't do this foundation any favours. As many previous reviewers have mentioned, this looks best when applied with your fingers. I dot it on in the centre of my face and gently blend outwards. If your fingers are warm, this definitely helps. It gives just the right amount of coverage and is mildly buildable, but I prefer to use concealer rather than extra foundation. It lasts at least 8 hours on me without requiring any touch ups. I wore MUFE HD regularly and LOVED how it looked, but eventually decided to switch because I was having to use blotting paper and/or powder to touch up too frequently. I then tried Estee Lauder Double Wear, which lasted amazingly and needed no touch ups, but had to find something else when I saw just how bad it looked under flash photography! Sheer Matte seems to be the perfect halfway house for me, it has staying power and when it does start to wear a bit, I look dewy rather than oily, and due to the lack of SPF and the lighter coverage it still photographs well. I do not know if it has improved my skin as it claims to do, it's still early days, but I've had no contraindications which is always good news.

I always use a foundation primer with my foundations, plus I always set with a translucent powder to minimise shine. Thought to add that in as these factors no doubt also affect the wear of this foundation.

The downside is the packaging. It looks very stylish, I love the frosted glass and the rubberised cap. However, the neck of the bottle is very narrow, so getting the product out is a little laborious, and the cap is already showing signs of looking a little grubby despite me trying desperately to keep it clean! A pump applicator (as they're shown with on the demo stands in store) would help matters hugely. It seems like slightly false advertising to me to demonstrate a product with a pump, but sell it without. Still, it won't stop me from repurchasing.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/12/2011 7:15:00 PM More reviews by sjbst17

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Wish I could give this negative stars since it broke me out horribly.
Thanks girls, for sharing your experience with this product. I am asian, with combination skin. I not only bought sheer glow, I also bought the sheer matte (Deauville) thinking that maybe it would be better for my acne prone skin. When I don't use products that clog my pores, I have clear skin. I wasn't sure because I also tried some new vitamin C product at the same time. However, after reading reviews my experience is consistent with some of the other posters'. The sheer glow resulted in some cyctic acne. And the sheer matte resulted in little, tiny tiny bumps that almost made me think of an allergic reaction. I used sheer glow about 3-4 times. Switched to sheer matte and 3 days later voila. This all went down over about a week and my face is slowly improving but I have a school reunion, so this is very disappointing.

Even Paula Begoun gives these foundations her recommendation on beautypedia, but myself and others have had breakouts sometimes quite severe SO it should not say OIL FREE, NON COMEDOGENIC on the packaging. In addition, the girls at the store said that it would make my skin look better with use. They have not heard any complaints about breakouts. But, in fact their faces were breaking out and they thought it was stress. HMMM.

But, if you've tried it and it does not break you are out, you are indeed lucky because I would love this foundation if it didn't ruin my skin. The color Deauville is gorgeous with my skin and natural looking and provides nice medium coverage and you can layer it a bit if you prefer heavier coverage. It is fairly pigmented. I prefer the texture of the sheer glow, though it requires several powder touch ups to keep it flawless. I was planning to use matte all over except my eyes. I'm so disappointed, it's the nicest foundation I've come across in recent memory.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2011 8:45:00 PM More reviews by MackMimiMommy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Not impressed. The color matches well, but application is poor. I applied this today, and had a hard time getting the foundation to blend. After much work, I stood back and looked in the mirror. I noticed that this foundation had collected in my pores, making them look enlarged. It was very sheer (as expected) except that it had collected in my pores excessively. Not a good look for me!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2011 3:42:00 PM More reviews by Suzanne941

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been very happy with this foundation. I put it on with a damp sponge (so I don't really miss the pump that's not included) over Anessa Perfect Mild sunblock and it wears very well and does not fade or transfer. The Anessa BTW is an amazing product and makes makeup stick like paint! I wear Ceylan (MAC NC 25, I think) and the coverage is good. I wasn't happy with the packing since the screw-on cap is stripped or something and doesn't close too precisely, so I took off a lippie for that. At this price point, the whole package should be close to perfection. But overall, I like it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2011 2:03:00 PM More reviews by MES

Really nice light to medium coverage foundation. It looks really thick out of the bottle, but once applied its very natural and light. I've been having major issue with my skin for a few weeks now and this has seemed to help some. I broke out pretty bad after using another foundation, switched to this and have seen an improvement in my skin. It has a very very faint smell, but I hardly noticed it and I have a sensitive nose. Wear is pretty good, and coverage stays even through the day, and it does not oxidize