October 2, 2014 | 928 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Matte

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2011 8:30:00 PM More reviews by cutiejunkie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

it's summer & i want a foundation that can 1) control oiliness & 2) stay on my face. this product stays on my face like a charm without looking like a greaseball. it's good. the only 2 things i have to complain about is that IT IS hard to blend once it's on your face, & it can look cakey if you put too much. coverage wise is medium. not bad. but i wouldn't buy this again for $40. i much prefer my L'oreal true match foundation over this & thats only $8 at Target.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2011 2:16:00 AM More reviews by ashleyanne

I've been using this foundation for about a month now and I've got mixed feelings about it, but I really like it overall! The only thing I don't like about it is it can't stand the 100 degree heat where I live, but there aren't many foundations that can, so I'm eager to see how it holds up in the cooler months. If I'm outside too long it practically melts off my face, and since it's water-based, if I ever get water on my face it comes right off. I'm sure it will be better once I get a good water-based primer though! I know there are issues with the blending, but I've found the perfect technique!! I use a Sigma F80 Flat top Kabuki brush and after I shake up the bottle I tap my brush onto the top of the bottle where the foundation has collected at the opening. Then in sections (forehead, each cheek, chin) I stiple it all over one section and blend it out. It works best if you work in sections on your face since it dries pretty quickly. It's light to medium coverage, and I really like that it lets my natural skin show through while evening out my skin tone!! I definitely plan to use this for a while unless I find something better!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/14/2011 4:09:00 PM More reviews by yulliannah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Definetely for oily skin!,
I do have oily skin but in the winter it gets dry and im currently on a retinol A + BP treatment, so my face is super dry,
So naturally, the foundation went on patchy, all of my dry patches and uneven areas were empahsized. I would say it's light to medium coverage. Hard to blend, no pump, the formula is thick and viscous so its a bit hard to pour out of the bottle. But i have to say im a nc20(Yellow undertones) and light 6(ceylan) is a perfect color match, very strong yellow undertones. Patchiness aside, the foundation slid around and rubbed off within 1-2 hours. So , to be fair with the dehydrated condition of my skin clearly a matte formula wasnt going to work(hence the patchiness etc), but with it slliding around, the lack of stay power and its very minimal coverage- i don't think it's one of the best out there.
But you never know, Sample before you buy :) !

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2011 7:35:00 PM More reviews by kuli1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

For this foundation my shade is syracuse (MAC NC42), also i am indian/ asian which has warm undertones (yellow/ olive skin). My skin is pretty normal, however it can become very oily around by T- zone. Also i have really bad ance prone skin...

I have a hate/love relationship with this foundation, in the winter it is a nightmare to use on my skin.. However i have been using it for the last 2 months and i love it. this foundation is 'Sheer' and 'Matte' hence the name of the foundation. It gives me a natural look and keeps my skin matte thoughout the day. I apply this foundation my using my fingers to dot the foundation on my face, then a use a MAC 190 (the flat brush) to blend it into the skin wish makes me look flawless. Also i haven't experienced any breakouts and keeps my oil away for around 8-10hours.. However i need to blot around the nose and cheeky once or twice.

The only problem i had with this foundation is that it doesn't come with a pump which makes it hard and messy to get the foundation out of the bottle. However use can by the pump separately for £3. Another problems is that when your near to the end of your foundation you can't get some of the product out of the bottle which can be a waste. And the last problem i had with this foundation is the price, its very expensive.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/7/2011 1:09:00 PM More reviews by strawberrykitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Reference: Asian, NC-15ish/EDM Fawn, Very VERY break out prone.

I've used this for: A month and a half. First 2 weeks was with samples from Sephora (the girl couldn't figure out my shade so she gave me samples and told me to try.)

Initial Impression: I loved this at first. (I've used mineral makeup and nothing else for years and years but EDM reformulated so I thought I'd give liquid a try.) Applied quickly, looked good, didn't break me out, lasted all day was good enough that I went and bought a bottle after my samples ran out.

Why I've changed my mind: When I first tried this it was very cool where I live. Average about 50 or 60 degrees Fahrenheit. In this weather, this foundation was perfect.

Then it got hot.

Now, it's around 80 degrees at 8 in the morning and this foundation is NOT OK. It turns orange when I sweat and looks blotchy by the time I get to work.

If you live somewhere cold or have enough patience/money to have separate foundations for summer and winter I would absolutely buy this and use it. If you live somewhere hot though, I would avoid. For the $$ you can do way better.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/27/2011 3:56:00 PM More reviews by furnando

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

NARS Sheer Matte foundation is a medium coverage foundation that can be built up. It claims to keep skin matte and has a satin finish. Let me start off by saying that I was really surprised at how hard this is to blend...once it dries it will ball up, flake off and be blotchy if one tries to blend it. Also the coverage I feel is a bit more on the sheer side than I'd like, however this is not my main issue. The main reason I don't love this, or rate it higher is because my color is not available and because of how hard it is to apply. The colors are more on the yellow side, which unfortunately don't work for me. I would recommend Sheer Glow instead by NARS. The finish is much more beautiful, this is really a mediocre version of it. It doesn't really stay matte, shine will seep through and not in a good way like Sheer Glow, but in a dull cheap manner. The combination of not blending easily and not really controlling shine/oil is why I gave it 2 stars.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/24/2011 9:11:00 PM More reviews by xsoinlovex

I have VERY OILY, ACNE PRONE SKIN, with LARGE PORES around my nose. I tried this product thinking it would be my holy grail foundation and solution to keeping my foundation on all day. Unfortunately, the $55.00 CAD (before taxes) was the worst $55.00 that I ever spent and the foundation was returned the following day.

This foundation is clearly hard to blend, and does not cover acne scars at all!! Basically this foundation blends right into your skin and then.. disappears. For the price that this company is charging, I expected a miracle foundation.

Not only that, but this foundation broke me out hardcore on my chin. When this foundation was exchanged I picked up Makeup Forever Matte Velvet plus. This literally is working like magic for me!!! I have been using it for a week, and it stays on throughout my work day, ONLY if I use a primer and blot several times a day because my face is that oily.

Girls, if you have acne prone, oily skin, this foundation is not for you!! Try MUFE matte velvet plus, and I promise you, you will not be disappointed!!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/22/2011 12:11:00 AM More reviews by SunshineAngel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used this product for about two to three weeks almost daily. Bought it from Sephora in Canada for about $55 plus tax. I was matched with the shade stromboli. It was a pretty good match. I have combination/oily skin. The finish is very natural, not overly matte. As others mentioned sheer matte did not really help control my oils. I still got shiny after a few hours even with a primer and loose powder to set the foundation. I was hoping this would be my perfect summer foundation as it provides a natural finish. The consistency is thicker than sheer glow and I found it harder to blend. You kinda have to work fast as it dries quickly or work in sections. I tried different application methods. I tried 187 brush (not a good idea since the product dries quickly), I used a typical foundation brush (gave a medium coverage) and my fingers (gave me the most natural looking finish, but sheer to almost medium coverage). This also tends to accentuate dry patches.
On a side note the SA at sephora tried both sheer matte on half my face and sheer glow on the other half and I could not tell the difference. The finish were pretty much the same and even my friends couldn't tell I was wearing two different foundations.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2011 5:51:00 AM More reviews by sputnik

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm on my second bottle of this and figured it's due for a review.
Application was tricky at first-- yes, there is no pump, but before you start tipping your bottle, make sure you shake it well first. I tried various methods: standard foundation brushes, MAC 187, Sigma flat top kabuki, regular makeup sponge wedges, beauty blender, clean fingers. Three things worked: the beauty blender, the flat top, and my fingers. You definitely have to play around with it to get your desired finish, and when you do, it just blends with your skin really well. To me, it makes my face look fresh, bright, (not lighter) and more even toned.
I use the shade Deauville and it doesn't oxidize on my combination/ mostly oily skin (yay!) whether I use a primer or not. It lasts all day, but I'm finding that I have to powder my nose after about 2-3 hours. The bottle looks nice on my vanity, but not great for traveling.
I think it's a great product for oily skin, they have a great selection of shades, and the quality is very good. I wouldn't expect any less from Nars.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2011 1:24:00 AM More reviews by neenero

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this foundation since November, and it's June now.. It hasn't broken me out and it provided the best colour match for my yellow-based South Asian skin (I wear Barcelona). The downsides are that it's expensive, that it sets quickly, that the pump is not included and is only sold in the US (I had to get my friend to order it for me and ship it over the border). But it provides really good coverage for me, and you can layer as much or as little as you'd like. I don't use concealer with this because I don't need it with this foundation. As for the fact that it sets quickly - as it is a matte foundation, this is not entirely surprising, and if you apply the product from the back of your hand it's not a problem. And the biggest plus of all - it's oil free and hasn't broken me out! This is a big deal as my skin generally hates me.

Basically, don't be turned off by this foundation just by what you read. Try it for yourself, especially if you are darker skinned person who finds most foundations are too ashy. FYI, Sheer Glow run darker than Sheer Matte. Hope this helps people!