September 22, 2014 | 853 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Matte

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 7/7/2011 1:09:00 PM More reviews by strawberrykitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Reference: Asian, NC-15ish/EDM Fawn, Very VERY break out prone.

I've used this for: A month and a half. First 2 weeks was with samples from Sephora (the girl couldn't figure out my shade so she gave me samples and told me to try.)

Initial Impression: I loved this at first. (I've used mineral makeup and nothing else for years and years but EDM reformulated so I thought I'd give liquid a try.) Applied quickly, looked good, didn't break me out, lasted all day was good enough that I went and bought a bottle after my samples ran out.

Why I've changed my mind: When I first tried this it was very cool where I live. Average about 50 or 60 degrees Fahrenheit. In this weather, this foundation was perfect.

Then it got hot.

Now, it's around 80 degrees at 8 in the morning and this foundation is NOT OK. It turns orange when I sweat and looks blotchy by the time I get to work.

If you live somewhere cold or have enough patience/money to have separate foundations for summer and winter I would absolutely buy this and use it. If you live somewhere hot though, I would avoid. For the $$ you can do way better.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/27/2011 3:56:00 PM More reviews by furnando

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

NARS Sheer Matte foundation is a medium coverage foundation that can be built up. It claims to keep skin matte and has a satin finish. Let me start off by saying that I was really surprised at how hard this is to blend...once it dries it will ball up, flake off and be blotchy if one tries to blend it. Also the coverage I feel is a bit more on the sheer side than I'd like, however this is not my main issue. The main reason I don't love this, or rate it higher is because my color is not available and because of how hard it is to apply. The colors are more on the yellow side, which unfortunately don't work for me. I would recommend Sheer Glow instead by NARS. The finish is much more beautiful, this is really a mediocre version of it. It doesn't really stay matte, shine will seep through and not in a good way like Sheer Glow, but in a dull cheap manner. The combination of not blending easily and not really controlling shine/oil is why I gave it 2 stars.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/24/2011 9:11:00 PM More reviews by xsoinlovex

I have VERY OILY, ACNE PRONE SKIN, with LARGE PORES around my nose. I tried this product thinking it would be my holy grail foundation and solution to keeping my foundation on all day. Unfortunately, the $55.00 CAD (before taxes) was the worst $55.00 that I ever spent and the foundation was returned the following day.

This foundation is clearly hard to blend, and does not cover acne scars at all!! Basically this foundation blends right into your skin and then.. disappears. For the price that this company is charging, I expected a miracle foundation.

Not only that, but this foundation broke me out hardcore on my chin. When this foundation was exchanged I picked up Makeup Forever Matte Velvet plus. This literally is working like magic for me!!! I have been using it for a week, and it stays on throughout my work day, ONLY if I use a primer and blot several times a day because my face is that oily.

Girls, if you have acne prone, oily skin, this foundation is not for you!! Try MUFE matte velvet plus, and I promise you, you will not be disappointed!!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/22/2011 12:11:00 AM More reviews by SunshineAngel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used this product for about two to three weeks almost daily. Bought it from Sephora in Canada for about $55 plus tax. I was matched with the shade stromboli. It was a pretty good match. I have combination/oily skin. The finish is very natural, not overly matte. As others mentioned sheer matte did not really help control my oils. I still got shiny after a few hours even with a primer and loose powder to set the foundation. I was hoping this would be my perfect summer foundation as it provides a natural finish. The consistency is thicker than sheer glow and I found it harder to blend. You kinda have to work fast as it dries quickly or work in sections. I tried different application methods. I tried 187 brush (not a good idea since the product dries quickly), I used a typical foundation brush (gave a medium coverage) and my fingers (gave me the most natural looking finish, but sheer to almost medium coverage). This also tends to accentuate dry patches.
On a side note the SA at sephora tried both sheer matte on half my face and sheer glow on the other half and I could not tell the difference. The finish were pretty much the same and even my friends couldn't tell I was wearing two different foundations.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2011 5:51:00 AM More reviews by sputnik

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm on my second bottle of this and figured it's due for a review.
Application was tricky at first-- yes, there is no pump, but before you start tipping your bottle, make sure you shake it well first. I tried various methods: standard foundation brushes, MAC 187, Sigma flat top kabuki, regular makeup sponge wedges, beauty blender, clean fingers. Three things worked: the beauty blender, the flat top, and my fingers. You definitely have to play around with it to get your desired finish, and when you do, it just blends with your skin really well. To me, it makes my face look fresh, bright, (not lighter) and more even toned.
I use the shade Deauville and it doesn't oxidize on my combination/ mostly oily skin (yay!) whether I use a primer or not. It lasts all day, but I'm finding that I have to powder my nose after about 2-3 hours. The bottle looks nice on my vanity, but not great for traveling.
I think it's a great product for oily skin, they have a great selection of shades, and the quality is very good. I wouldn't expect any less from Nars.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2011 1:24:00 AM More reviews by neenero

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this foundation since November, and it's June now.. It hasn't broken me out and it provided the best colour match for my yellow-based South Asian skin (I wear Barcelona). The downsides are that it's expensive, that it sets quickly, that the pump is not included and is only sold in the US (I had to get my friend to order it for me and ship it over the border). But it provides really good coverage for me, and you can layer as much or as little as you'd like. I don't use concealer with this because I don't need it with this foundation. As for the fact that it sets quickly - as it is a matte foundation, this is not entirely surprising, and if you apply the product from the back of your hand it's not a problem. And the biggest plus of all - it's oil free and hasn't broken me out! This is a big deal as my skin generally hates me.

Basically, don't be turned off by this foundation just by what you read. Try it for yourself, especially if you are darker skinned person who finds most foundations are too ashy. FYI, Sheer Glow run darker than Sheer Matte. Hope this helps people!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2011 5:26:00 PM More reviews by dollface29

Contrary to other reviews about this product I found it to be absolutely amazing!!! Previously I used sheer glow but I found myself being shiny a few hours into the day so I switched. This formula works great with my skin (combination with hardly any breakouts). Color is fabulous and matches me perfectly!!!! I wear tahoe

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2011 3:36:00 PM More reviews by Katie75007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I unintentionally bought a bottle of Sheer Matte when I meant to buy a bottle of my precious default foundation, which is Sheer Glow in Siberia -- probably the best (and only exact) color match I have ever found for my difficult-to-match skin (NW5-10). The NARS SA sold me the wrong one, and I only realized when I saw that the frosted bottle was different -- at which point I had already applied it to my face.

I had never been tempted to try Sheer Matte because my skin is on the dry side, and I had always been told that it would not be a good fit. It's funny, though -- it actually wasn't bad! Like Sheer Glow, it can be a bit difficult to blend, but I liked the consistency better; it seemed creamier. The weird part is that Sheer Matte in Siberia looks lighter and less yellow than its Sheer Glow counterpart, but it actually oxidizes darker -- so SG in Siberia ends up being slightly lighter, despite its appearance. I did not find Sheer Matte to be drying in the least -- and it held up all day.

My only gripe is that the pump is not sold at NARS counters -- just via the NARS website. No NARS counter I have been to (and there are many!) has carried it. (I did buy a pump from the website, but swapped it away with a bottle of Mont Blanc that was too dark). I did not subtract a lippie for this, though, because it has nothing to do with the foundation formula itself.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/8/2011 2:02:00 AM More reviews by bonnie297

Terrible. Hate it. And not only on my own skin but on anyone I've ever tried it on. After wearing it for a few hours it cakes and slides off, it's so hard to apply because it sets too quickly and won't sink in to the skin.
I like Nars Sheer Glow so was surprised that I hated this product so much, I would pick Sheer Glow over this every time. The only pro is that Nars has a great colour selection.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2011 11:15:00 PM More reviews by edgexofxdesire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a sample of this that I got from Sephora along with the Sheer Glow (both in Ceylan) because I wasn't sure if either would provide enough coverage and hold up to the oils on my face. Surprise, surprise...only one of them is worth it and it isn't the Sheer Matte. The consistency is okay--it's a bit thicker than the Sheer Glow, but it takes a little more effort and speed to blend it out smoothly. The color is great..maybe a little lighter than SG, but it still matched better than my drugstore foundations. The coverage was a little less than what you get with the Sheer Glow, but still a little less than a solid medium coverage. The finish is a soft matte--very natural looking and not cakey. The one huge (surprising) difference is that the Sheer Matte was awful at controlling my oily skin. Even with a primer and a setting powder, I was shiny after about 30 minutes and really oily after 2 hours or so...while the Sheer Glow held up for a solid 4 hours before I started looking shiny (and after 9 hours I removed my makeup...and I still didn't look overly oily). Interesting...anyway, this is just an okay foundation. Definitely not worth the money, but it wasn't terrible.