July 31, 2014 | 1941 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Matte

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2011 11:15:00 PM More reviews by edgexofxdesire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a sample of this that I got from Sephora along with the Sheer Glow (both in Ceylan) because I wasn't sure if either would provide enough coverage and hold up to the oils on my face. Surprise, surprise...only one of them is worth it and it isn't the Sheer Matte. The consistency is okay--it's a bit thicker than the Sheer Glow, but it takes a little more effort and speed to blend it out smoothly. The color is great..maybe a little lighter than SG, but it still matched better than my drugstore foundations. The coverage was a little less than what you get with the Sheer Glow, but still a little less than a solid medium coverage. The finish is a soft matte--very natural looking and not cakey. The one huge (surprising) difference is that the Sheer Matte was awful at controlling my oily skin. Even with a primer and a setting powder, I was shiny after about 30 minutes and really oily after 2 hours or so...while the Sheer Glow held up for a solid 4 hours before I started looking shiny (and after 9 hours I removed my makeup...and I still didn't look overly oily). Interesting...anyway, this is just an okay foundation. Definitely not worth the money, but it wasn't terrible.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2011 7:27:00 PM More reviews by cerulfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Finally, a HG foundation! I'm half black, half asian, so I've had the worst difficulty in finding a tan foundation that had strong yellow undertones. Every other foundation I've tried has pulled red or orange, or gone ashy. Not this one. My skin is also supremely oily, and this foundation does a decent job of letting just enough shine come through. Used together with the NARS oil-free primer and loose powder (I use Mountain) I was completely oil-free for at least 6 hours! It dries fast once it leaves the bottle, so I recommend using a damp sponge to apply (I use the Beauty Blender). Deducted a lippy since it doesn't come with a pump--you have to buy it directly from the NARS website--and also because it is pretty expensive for a foundation at $42.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2011 10:33:00 PM More reviews by lehzheng

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

wow! tHIS I is absolutely great! I like that it doesnt feel heavy on your face like some foundations. It feels really great. They say you should use your fingers, but I find that I like the way my stippling brush applies this on my skin. You can add the coverage little by little. It's kinda medium on me. INo foundation lasts for more than 4 hours on my skin without getting oily. This one is no exception. I think if I wore this at night time when I dont need to use sunscreen on, this would work just fine. Really good foundation! Too bad it's super expensive. I think I would buy again because it doesnt make my face itch and it has not broken me out. - edit: I'm actively breaking out in my chin, neck and cheeks... sniff.... it's a good thing the zits that came out are manageable by a sterile needle. at least they arent deep.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/27/2011 12:11:00 PM More reviews by missburlington

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried a sample of this product from Sephora. I'm a NC15/20 and I tried Deauville, which was a good match. This is a really expensive product ($50CAD) and I had very high expectations. Yes, it was sheer, but it definitely wasn't matte. It had very poor longevity and at the end of the day it was either gone completely or had shifted around my face. I've tried drugstore foundations for a fraction of the price that performed much better. I'm glad I didn't purchase this.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/18/2011 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Dobbins

Just tried this product out and it's too thick, doesn't blend, clings to dry patches and doesn't come out of the bottle. I got this in Punjab and on my skin looked to yellow. I've tried to work with it so as not to feel I've wasted almost £30, I applied half of my face with this product and mixed the other half with this product and another foundation. The side with just Nars on looked very cakey and dry and say in my open pores and wrinkles..yuk! I mixed it with an oil foundation on the other side and it went on much easier and gave a nice finish, however it didn't provide the coverage that I need. Don't waste your .money but if you already try mixing with another foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 5/17/2011 4:23:00 PM More reviews by zeje

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this foundation because I needed better coverage and more shine control. I use the color Trinidad which is a perfect match for me. For me, there was nothing matte about this foundation. With a primer and transparent powder I became very oily which doesn't happen with other foundations. Another thing I didn't like about this foundation was how it lifted and separated on my face by the end of the day. Gross. I am writing this review after using this product for more than six months straight. After I finish this bottle I will never buy this again.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/16/2011 8:03:00 PM More reviews by youcrazydiamond

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have a love-hate relationship with this foundation. For reference: I have mostly normal skin, with occasional dry patches.
PROS:
- Wide range of colors: This line was the only line in all of Sephora which had a decent match for me. I was matched by a SA to Light 2, Mont Blanc.
- Long lasting: I don't notice much fading after 6+ hours
- Comfortable, breathable wear. I often forget I'm wearing liquid foundation when I use this.
- Decent coverage: It's sheer, like the name implies, but it covers up my redness.
- Beautiful packaging
CONS:
- Somewhat hard to blend - need to do a good deal of rubbing and blending in with my fingers
- Easy to overdo: Too much. and this foundation will look very cakey, as it is matte.
- Highlights dryness: Again, because it's matte, this will cling on to every dry flake of skin you have and hold on for dear life. I have to be careful when using it on my nose for this reason.
- Expensive
- The glass bottle is gorgeous, but comes without a pump.
Overall, it has its good side and its bad side. I just began my foray into the world of liquid foundation, and I'm eager to try other brands. I'll use this until it's gone and then try something else, but in a pinch, I'd come back to this.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/14/2011 12:50:00 PM More reviews by bluechiffon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The coverage is sheer, just as the name suggests. Unfortunately, it wasn't very effective as a matte foundation. My skin started to get oily after a few hours. Overall, I think the foundation is too expensive given the fact that it doesn't mattify the skin at all.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/6/2011 10:16:00 AM More reviews by ChazasGirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Oh my god this foundation is the WORST I have ever used and I have used loads from Chanel, MAC, ELDW, Clarins, Laura Mercier, Clinique, YSL etc etc you get the drift.

My skin is combination, oily t-zone normal elsewhere. I like a foundation to stay on through out the day like my ELDW. I have Nars Sheer Glow which I really like however it only stays fresh looking for about 5 hours on me before it goes shiny (not glowy!). I thought I would give the Sheer Matte a try as I was quite impressed with the glow and the finish it gave me. BIG mistake! This foundation is horrible. It is that thick it does not come out of the bottle (which has no pump) and spreading it WTF it will just not spread? I have tried with a primer, without a primer, with my fingers (as they recomend), a brush, a sponge and for some reason it will not spread. I am a Beauty Therapist so applying foundations is second nature to me but this one??? The finish it leaves it patchy, blotchy and just horrible. I took it off my face after 30 mins as it looked that bad. Dont waste your money like I did.

Nars you seriously need to discontinue this foundation!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/27/2011 8:50:00 PM More reviews by shruti899

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I like how the color of this foundation (NARS Sheer Matte- Cadiz) matches my skin tone (Im a MAC NC-42 for ref). It is easy to over-apply this foundation and look caked up as a result. I found that the trick would be to start with a small amount and let the foundation sit or a couple of minutes (before applying rest of the make-up) as it tends to build up. I would agree that it is a little hard to blend in and tends to leave patches. I felt the need to be very careful while applying this and tried to do most of my make-up in natural light.
I use my fingers to blend it in and felt that the foundation acts very stubborn when it comes to spreading with a brush. The fact that it comes in a bottle w/o a pump is also annoying.
The finish is very matte and works well with my slightly oily skin. To tone down the matte a little bit, I use just a tad of the Laura Mercier Illuminating powder on my cheeks and the bridge of my nose. It instantly highlights my cheekbones without making them shiny.
All in all, it is a good foundation if used properly. In that sense, it is tricky and needs some practice to work with.
I don't know if its the humid weather or the foundation, but I think my skin broke up a little bit after using this. I might be wrong and it could just be the crazy hormones/weather