September 1, 2014 | 2069 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Matte

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 6/22/2011 12:11:00 AM More reviews by SunshineAngel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used this product for about two to three weeks almost daily. Bought it from Sephora in Canada for about $55 plus tax. I was matched with the shade stromboli. It was a pretty good match. I have combination/oily skin. The finish is very natural, not overly matte. As others mentioned sheer matte did not really help control my oils. I still got shiny after a few hours even with a primer and loose powder to set the foundation. I was hoping this would be my perfect summer foundation as it provides a natural finish. The consistency is thicker than sheer glow and I found it harder to blend. You kinda have to work fast as it dries quickly or work in sections. I tried different application methods. I tried 187 brush (not a good idea since the product dries quickly), I used a typical foundation brush (gave a medium coverage) and my fingers (gave me the most natural looking finish, but sheer to almost medium coverage). This also tends to accentuate dry patches.
On a side note the SA at sephora tried both sheer matte on half my face and sheer glow on the other half and I could not tell the difference. The finish were pretty much the same and even my friends couldn't tell I was wearing two different foundations.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2011 5:51:00 AM More reviews by sputnik

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm on my second bottle of this and figured it's due for a review.
Application was tricky at first-- yes, there is no pump, but before you start tipping your bottle, make sure you shake it well first. I tried various methods: standard foundation brushes, MAC 187, Sigma flat top kabuki, regular makeup sponge wedges, beauty blender, clean fingers. Three things worked: the beauty blender, the flat top, and my fingers. You definitely have to play around with it to get your desired finish, and when you do, it just blends with your skin really well. To me, it makes my face look fresh, bright, (not lighter) and more even toned.
I use the shade Deauville and it doesn't oxidize on my combination/ mostly oily skin (yay!) whether I use a primer or not. It lasts all day, but I'm finding that I have to powder my nose after about 2-3 hours. The bottle looks nice on my vanity, but not great for traveling.
I think it's a great product for oily skin, they have a great selection of shades, and the quality is very good. I wouldn't expect any less from Nars.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2011 1:24:00 AM More reviews by neenero

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this foundation since November, and it's June now.. It hasn't broken me out and it provided the best colour match for my yellow-based South Asian skin (I wear Barcelona). The downsides are that it's expensive, that it sets quickly, that the pump is not included and is only sold in the US (I had to get my friend to order it for me and ship it over the border). But it provides really good coverage for me, and you can layer as much or as little as you'd like. I don't use concealer with this because I don't need it with this foundation. As for the fact that it sets quickly - as it is a matte foundation, this is not entirely surprising, and if you apply the product from the back of your hand it's not a problem. And the biggest plus of all - it's oil free and hasn't broken me out! This is a big deal as my skin generally hates me.

Basically, don't be turned off by this foundation just by what you read. Try it for yourself, especially if you are darker skinned person who finds most foundations are too ashy. FYI, Sheer Glow run darker than Sheer Matte. Hope this helps people!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2011 5:26:00 PM More reviews by dollface29

Contrary to other reviews about this product I found it to be absolutely amazing!!! Previously I used sheer glow but I found myself being shiny a few hours into the day so I switched. This formula works great with my skin (combination with hardly any breakouts). Color is fabulous and matches me perfectly!!!! I wear tahoe

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2011 3:36:00 PM More reviews by Katie75007

I unintentionally bought a bottle of Sheer Matte when I meant to buy a bottle of my precious default foundation, which is Sheer Glow in Siberia -- probably the best (and only exact) color match I have ever found for my difficult-to-match skin (NW5-10). The NARS SA sold me the wrong one, and I only realized when I saw that the frosted bottle was different -- at which point I had already applied it to my face.

I had never been tempted to try Sheer Matte because my skin is on the dry side, and I had always been told that it would not be a good fit. It's funny, though -- it actually wasn't bad! Like Sheer Glow, it can be a bit difficult to blend, but I liked the consistency better; it seemed creamier. The weird part is that Sheer Matte in Siberia looks lighter and less yellow than its Sheer Glow counterpart, but it actually oxidizes darker -- so SG in Siberia ends up being slightly lighter, despite its appearance. I did not find Sheer Matte to be drying in the least -- and it held up all day.

My only gripe is that the pump is not sold at NARS counters -- just via the NARS website. No NARS counter I have been to (and there are many!) has carried it. (I did buy a pump from the website, but swapped it away with a bottle of Mont Blanc that was too dark). I did not subtract a lippie for this, though, because it has nothing to do with the foundation formula itself.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/8/2011 2:02:00 AM More reviews by bonnie297

Terrible. Hate it. And not only on my own skin but on anyone I've ever tried it on. After wearing it for a few hours it cakes and slides off, it's so hard to apply because it sets too quickly and won't sink in to the skin.
I like Nars Sheer Glow so was surprised that I hated this product so much, I would pick Sheer Glow over this every time. The only pro is that Nars has a great colour selection.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2011 11:15:00 PM More reviews by edgexofxdesire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a sample of this that I got from Sephora along with the Sheer Glow (both in Ceylan) because I wasn't sure if either would provide enough coverage and hold up to the oils on my face. Surprise, surprise...only one of them is worth it and it isn't the Sheer Matte. The consistency is okay--it's a bit thicker than the Sheer Glow, but it takes a little more effort and speed to blend it out smoothly. The color is great..maybe a little lighter than SG, but it still matched better than my drugstore foundations. The coverage was a little less than what you get with the Sheer Glow, but still a little less than a solid medium coverage. The finish is a soft matte--very natural looking and not cakey. The one huge (surprising) difference is that the Sheer Matte was awful at controlling my oily skin. Even with a primer and a setting powder, I was shiny after about 30 minutes and really oily after 2 hours or so...while the Sheer Glow held up for a solid 4 hours before I started looking shiny (and after 9 hours I removed my makeup...and I still didn't look overly oily). Interesting...anyway, this is just an okay foundation. Definitely not worth the money, but it wasn't terrible.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2011 7:27:00 PM More reviews by cerulfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Finally, a HG foundation! I'm half black, half asian, so I've had the worst difficulty in finding a tan foundation that had strong yellow undertones. Every other foundation I've tried has pulled red or orange, or gone ashy. Not this one. My skin is also supremely oily, and this foundation does a decent job of letting just enough shine come through. Used together with the NARS oil-free primer and loose powder (I use Mountain) I was completely oil-free for at least 6 hours! It dries fast once it leaves the bottle, so I recommend using a damp sponge to apply (I use the Beauty Blender). Deducted a lippy since it doesn't come with a pump--you have to buy it directly from the NARS website--and also because it is pretty expensive for a foundation at $42.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2011 10:33:00 PM More reviews by lehzheng

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

wow! tHIS I is absolutely great! I like that it doesnt feel heavy on your face like some foundations. It feels really great. They say you should use your fingers, but I find that I like the way my stippling brush applies this on my skin. You can add the coverage little by little. It's kinda medium on me. INo foundation lasts for more than 4 hours on my skin without getting oily. This one is no exception. I think if I wore this at night time when I dont need to use sunscreen on, this would work just fine. Really good foundation! Too bad it's super expensive. I think I would buy again because it doesnt make my face itch and it has not broken me out. - edit: I'm actively breaking out in my chin, neck and cheeks... sniff.... it's a good thing the zits that came out are manageable by a sterile needle. at least they arent deep.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/27/2011 12:11:00 PM More reviews by missburlington

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried a sample of this product from Sephora. I'm a NC15/20 and I tried Deauville, which was a good match. This is a really expensive product ($50CAD) and I had very high expectations. Yes, it was sheer, but it definitely wasn't matte. It had very poor longevity and at the end of the day it was either gone completely or had shifted around my face. I've tried drugstore foundations for a fraction of the price that performed much better. I'm glad I didn't purchase this.